Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Xander77 posted:

Extended. Just bought it the other week, and I think the extended ending is standard for all current editions. But in this case, I was talking specifically about the Reapers showing up on earth.

I was just curious. I think people should experience the original ending first to see what all the rage was about.

quote:

Should I continue this, or am I just repeating the same stuff that's been rehashed in this and previous threads?

No, please keep going. And trust me, the same stuff has been rehashed multiple times in this thread and others around the internet. It most likely won't be new, but I, at least, like to see another person's reaction. Please keep playing and updating us with your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are people dissing Esteban? :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Female. It's just the daintiest and most awkward running animation - that transitions right into a leisurely sprint I suspect is shared by the male model.

Some of the casual conversations are genuinely good / touching, such as the old woman as the human embassy. Kinda reminds me of Jacob's loyalty mission - odd how the (second) worst character had the most affecting mission.

"I feel like a qualified dorm-aaaaaaaaan". What was that?

The council. You know, a more explicit "fix our problems so that we can help you" would place the council's attitude within the standard quest structure and help people come to terms with it.

Ahh, elevators that are just loading screens. Joy :)

A dream sequence. A slow-motion dream sequence. De-loving-lightful. I care so much about that random kid.

My ship upgrades are still there, and each counts as much as one games journalist. :)

Oh hey, the airlock leads to nowhere even though we haven't flown anywhere yet. I don't think the airlock was used even once during ME2.

That is just the ugliest robo-dog :3:

Having the psych101 sessions take place in an actual dynamic scene kinda works. Leopard Shepard, warrior therapist.

You know who I really want to meet? My shuttle pilot. For two games it's been killing me that I never saw their face or had an extensive chat about their past. If ever there was a romance option I was really hoping for.

But seriously, being back on the Normandy is just a lot of fun. I wandered all over the ship, looking for my toys they're called models, Mom. They're collector's items! I hope my space-hamster is ok, because I can't find it anywhere.

Oh hey, the shotgun can decapitate people. I've seen the occasional limb taken off in ME2, but this is even better.

The problem is that they were just that in ME1. I spent a lot of time pouring over the right weapons and armor for my squad, and they were just as good as me (or better) in a standup fight. In ME2 I quickly stopped bothering about what weapons they had, as they were only there for their powers.
Good news: you can totally meet the shuttle pilot. Bad news: you can't romance him. His name is STEEEEEEVE!

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 25, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nihilarian posted:

Good news: you can totally meet the shuttle pilot. Bad news: you can't romance him. His name is Steve.

I think you meant to say, his name is STEEEEEEVE!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JawKnee posted:

I think you meant to say, his name is STEEEEEEVE!
Oh, right. Corrected.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Xander77 posted:

But seriously, being back on the Normandy is just a lot of fun. I wandered all over the ship, looking for my toys they're called models, Mom. They're collector's items! I hope my space-hamster is ok, because I can't find it anywhere.

The Normandy and all the NPC interactions on it is legit one of the best things about ME3. It's definitely one of the parts where they've learned all their lessons from ME1 and ME2 and condensed it into a pretty much perfect system, much like with the combat.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 25, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurtofan posted:

Of course not, no decent human being would diss Esteban!

Wandering around the Normandy after each mission and seeing what my shipmates were up to was one of my favorite things to do in ME3.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah I loving love how everyone will kind of wander around the ship getting into conversations with each other, even if it is kind of tricky to find them at times.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Chexoid posted:

Yeah I loving love how everyone will kind of wander around the ship getting into conversations with each other, even if it is kind of tricky to find them at times.
Of course, the map screen always tells you where everybody currently is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Telling Diana Allers to gently caress off feels so good. :smug:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chexoid posted:

You mean you didn't obsessively check every single corner of every single room on the Normandy and the Citadel after every mission to make sure you didn't miss a single line of dialogue? Poser.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Kibayasu posted:

You mean you didn't obsessively check every single corner of every single room on the Normandy and the Citadel after every mission to make sure you didn't miss a single line of dialogue? Poser.

This.

This is the essence of the Mass Effect experience.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kurtofan posted:

Telling Diana Allers to gently caress off feels so good. :smug:

I invite her on to the ship with the express purpose of kicking her off immediately. The way Shepard growls "Get off my ship" is so satisfying.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I remember the first time I talked to her on the ship and saw that option, I though "Oooh, so she's gonna say stuff in the course of the story later that's really gonna piss Shepard off. This might be interesting."

Nope, turned out she's just consistently boring and worthless.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
She never even told me how she made an elcor cry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Coughing Hobo posted:

I invite her on to the ship with the express purpose of kicking her off immediately. The way Shepard growls "Get off my ship" is so satisfying.

That sounds like a plan for my future playthrough.

Kibayasu posted:

I think I must have spent more time OCD'ing in the Normandy/Citadel than shooting bad dudes.

Adams is the most boring dude :(

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 25, 2014

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

STEEEEVE is awesome, I like how femshep can release her inner dork and do some train ship-spotting with him.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Just out of curiosity, is Ashley or Kaiden alive in your play through?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Who killed 300000 Protheans? How? If you wanted to represent an epic conflict rather than a minor firefight... that probably wasn't the way to do so.

Shepard apparently descends from Shatner, as she launches into an action roll at any excuse.

I'm basically just shotgunning dudes on normal. Like, I could charge or use powers (Liara's singularities are nice, but my shockwaves don't really compare to their ME2 glory), but I can just blow a guys head off from across the screen. Still miss my Geth shotgun :/

I wasn't quite decided on Javik, up until "They used to eat flies". The matter of the fact delivery of that line sold me.

Aww, I can't have the old science / officer uniforms, even though those were the best. The hoodie is not a viable replacement.

Goddamn it, three games and we still have dialog options popping up in the middle of a sentence so that I choose a reply instead of skipping a line.

Some NPCs will delay their reaction to your frantic mashing of the use button, then will fire off two or three replies in a row. Well done.

Goddamit (again), the game will periodically drop me into the war room of its own volition and I'll have to slowwwwwwwwwwly trudge through the screen each time? Bah.

Garrus! :3:

Ooh, big scary monster. Time for a... oh, it's dead. Three shotgun rounds from me, some random spam from Vega and Garrus, and a charge. Even got an achievement out of it.

Oh my god, Garrus' mincing running. OMG, Garrus' run backwards while aiming at me. I can't.

James, care to expand on that statement? And is that "fought with a Krogan" or "fought with a Krogan?"

Well, at least I didn't get another "oh, I'm too busy to help you" thing from Garrus. That would have made me quite upset.

Yeah, I absolutely believe that the diplomatic / manipulative race won't bother showing up at a major summit at all. After all, what could they possibly gain from sending even a single representative?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Just out of curiosity, is Ashley or Kaiden alive in your play through?
The one who had an actual personality.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

They're both dead?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Who killed 300000 Protheans? How? If you wanted to represent an epic conflict rather than a minor firefight... that probably wasn't the way to do so.

Shepard apparently descends from Shatner, as she launches into an action roll at any excuse.

I'm basically just shotgunning dudes on normal. Like, I could charge or use powers (Liara's singularities are nice, but my shockwaves don't really compare to their ME2 glory), but I can just blow a guys head off from across the screen. Still miss my Geth shotgun :/

I wasn't quite decided on Javik, up until "They used to eat flies". The matter of the fact delivery of that line sold me.

Aww, I can't have the old science / officer uniforms, even though those were the best. The hoodie is not a viable replacement.

Goddamn it, three games and we still have dialog options popping up in the middle of a sentence so that I choose a reply instead of skipping a line.

Some NPCs will delay their reaction to your frantic mashing of the use button, then will fire off two or three replies in a row. Well done.

Goddamit (again), the game will periodically drop me into the war room of its own volition and I'll have to slowwwwwwwwwwly trudge through the screen each time? Bah.

Garrus! :3:

Ooh, big scary monster. Time for a... oh, it's dead. Three shotgun rounds from me, some random spam from Vega and Garrus, and a charge. Even got an achievement out of it.

Oh my god, Garrus' mincing running. OMG, Garrus' run backwards while aiming at me. I can't.

James, care to expand on that statement? And is that "fought with a Krogan" or "fought with a Krogan?"

Well, at least I didn't get another "oh, I'm too busy to help you" thing from Garrus. That would have made me quite upset.

Yeah, I absolutely believe that the diplomatic / manipulative race won't bother showing up at a major summit at all. After all, what could they possibly gain from sending even a single representative?

Did you romance Garrus?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Il Federale posted:

They're both dead?
Yeah, that doesn't narrow it down at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sexy robot EDI. Sexy. Robot. EDI.

Why?

I've written other stuff, but... yeah.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

In case you've wondered about this: no, you cannot sex the sexbot. Someone else can though...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Xander77 posted:

Why?

Whoever wrote Javik has him (correctly) weirded out by the whole thing.

Although if you can look past it EDI is p. awesome in this game.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Lycus posted:

In case you've wondered about this: no, you cannot sex the sexbot. Someone else can though...

Aaaaaand that's one of the two reasons why I never go into the cockpit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Even with all the cool renegade options and the like, I've never reacted faster to a prompt in the entire series than I have to the "Don't date the loving ship AI you loving creep" dialogue option.

Plus I really liked the whole platonic flirting relationship between her and Joker and ME2, they had a nice His Girl Friday thing going on, and then in typical Bioware fashion rather than character development they stuck her in a SEXBOT BODY.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Why?

If you can look past the sexbot body I think she still has a few funny lines.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Nihilarian posted:

If you can look past the sexbot body I think she still has a few funny lines.

I thought she was second only to Wrex in the Citadel DLC.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
sexbot EDI is the #1 reason why I'm not torn up about killing her off with the Destroy ending

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

JawKnee posted:

sexbot EDI is the #1 reason why I'm not torn up about killing her off with the Destroy ending

If only they'd had the same writer as ME2. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lycus posted:

Just know this: None of your choices affect gameplay at all.* The only changes are to bits of dialogue and cutscenes.

*The lone exception being that certain characters can't be ME3 squadmates if they're dead.

I like that you specified "certain" characters since they just put Legion back in there anyway even if you shipped him off to Cerberus, only he's a copy or something that the Geth happened to have lying around.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Even with all the cool renegade options and the like, I've never reacted faster to a prompt in the entire series than I have to the "Don't date the loving ship AI you loving creep" dialogue option.

Plus I really liked the whole platonic flirting relationship between her and Joker and ME2, they had a nice His Girl Friday thing going on, and then in typical Bioware fashion rather than character development they stuck her in a SEXBOT BODY.

IMO, I like them as just friends like another potential couple.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The things I did like about EDI was the conversations on the nature of artificial vs organic life. But, yeah, the whole robo-romance thing wasn't handled that well at all. It wasn't like Joaquin Phoenix in 'Her', put it that way.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Jerusalem posted:

I like that you specified "certain" characters since they just put Legion back in there anyway even if you shipped him off to Cerberus, only he's a copy or something that the Geth happened to have lying around.

We must maintain the illusion of choice. Like how the human Reaper has been salvaged even if you destroyed the Collector Base

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The main problem with the EDI talks is that in ME2 she seemed to understand the human condition fairly well for a machine. In ME3 she has downright regressed to "Is this what you organics call... Love?" levels of ignorance.

She became loving Data. And seven seasons of Data was enough.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Unnamed One posted:

The main problem with the EDI talks is that in ME2 she seemed to understand the human condition fairly well for a machine. In ME3 she has downright regressed to "Is this what you organics call... Love?" levels of ignorance.

She became loving Data. And seven seasons of Data was enough.

One of the annoying bits of the Extended Cut was EDI saying that, due to Synthesis, she finally felt alive. Which kinda contradicts her saying that to Shepard before the final run to the beam -- then it was more due to her interactions with and acceptance by organics that made her feel alive

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

One of the annoying bits of the Extended Cut was EDI saying that, due to Synthesis, she finally felt alive. Which kinda contradicts her saying that to Shepard before the final run to the beam -- then it was more due to her interactions with and acceptance by organics that made her feel alive

Another example ME3's Pinnochio-esque take on organics and synthetics, I guess.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 26, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

If only they'd had the same any kind of remotely competent writer as ME2 1. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.