Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I really can't recommend Restore Balance when Living End is the same deck only better in every way. $100+ for a playset of Fulminator Mage kinda sucks, but otherwise the deck is generally very cheap, and is really, really good against aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tharizdun posted:

I really can't recommend Restore Balance when Living End is the same deck only better in every way. $100+ for a playset of Fulminator Mage kinda sucks, but otherwise the deck is generally very cheap, and is really, really good against aggro.

Fulminator Mages, Fetches, Living End isn't too cheap these days either, all the things the guy whose post I was originally responding to sounded like he was trying to avoid. Restore Balance is just as good, if not better, vs. aggro, with the added benefit of having a chance vs. control by being able to land wipe them every few turns. Plus it doesn't insta-lose to the everpresent graveyard hate (except for Surgical Extraction game 1 and always Extirpate.)

I don't think either deck is in a great position, but I'll take an entire deck that costs less than your playset of Fulminator Mages and does essentially the same thing. There's also a version of Restore Balance which is essentially the Living End shell with Gargadons and Restore Balance.

Besides all that, you're missing the best part of the deck! Everyone sees Living End cycle a Carabid and knows what's coming. Nothing is better than having people scoff at your Borderposts and Court Hussars and Gargadons one turn and having no hand, lands, or creatures the next when they finally see what the deck does. It's the ultimate in feelbads.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tharizdun posted:

It also doesn't give a drat about graveyard hate. It's a solid Tier 2 deck that is very effective against certain metas.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Don't you just fold to Remand?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It's the ultimate in feelbads.

The ultimate in feelbads is being on the draw against Workshops

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bhsman posted:

It also doesn't give a drat about graveyard hate. It's a solid Tier 2 deck that is very effective against certain metas.

Yeah, but for every piece of graveyard hate it dodges, it runs smack into artifact hate meant for affinity. Stony Silence effectively shuts off your mana production, and Ancient Grudge reads "1RG: Destroy 2 target lands" against you. I heard both of those were bad things.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah, but for every piece of graveyard hate it dodges, it runs smack into artifact hate meant for affinity. Stony Silence effectively shuts off your mana production, and Ancient Grudge reads "1RG: Destroy 2 target lands" against you. I heard both of those were bad things.

I didn't say it had no weaknesses, just that it really ruins some decks and would perform well depending on the meta.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bhsman posted:

I didn't say it had no weaknesses, just that it really ruins some decks and would perform well depending on the meta.

That's fair, the last two modern tournaments of any size I've gone to might as well have been hosted on Cybertron for how many Robots were in attendance (over half the field in 50+ person tourneys).

Besides, you want to talk about a cheap deck - Robots is only a few bones more than Restore Balance, and is actually good/T1!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tharizdun posted:

That's fair, the last two modern tournaments of any size I've gone to might as well have been hosted on Cybertron for how many Robots were in attendance (over half the field in 50+ person tourneys).

Besides, you want to talk about a cheap deck - Robots is only a few bones more than Restore Balance, and is actually good/T1!

Balance is like my second-favorite card ever, after Flicker. v:shobon:v

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ScarletBrother posted:

Don't you just fold to Remand?

That's why Violent Outburst is so good. Outburst on their turn, get Balance countered, Cascade again on your turn when they're probably tapped out because they left enough open for Remand. Like I said, the deck is really weak to control but it's doable. It's usually a good idea to side in the Boom/Busts for conrol, too. A lot of them kill with manlands, so cascading into Bust is almost the same as Balance.

Funnily enough, the deck is good against a few tier 1 decks, especially Tron and Pod. It's good vs. Jund if they don't disrupt you too hard at the beginning of the game.

Tharizdun posted:

In the grand scale of modern, robots are definitely cheap. But compared to Restore Balance, my Deckbox strongly disagrees with you (on the price anyway, I'm pretty sure Affinity has better matchups vs. a lot more things.)

$475 for robots vs. $100, $50 of which is Idyllic Tutors which could easily be turned into more Blood Moons and March of the Machines, which would make the deck more like $60-70. And that's what started my Restore Balance talk: he was saying how he can't get into modern because of the ridiculous prices of everything that's in more than 1 deck. There's probably not much that's cheaper than Balance that has many good matchups. It just depends if losing to any deck with counters more often than not is worth $1000+ to you.

Plus, it's something different, and how often do you see that in Magic?

And for what my opinion is worth, if you're going to play Affinity, you might as well play Legacy and save a little money.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 25, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

It's good vs. Jund if they don't disrupt you too hard at the beginning of the game.

The same could be said for just about any combo deck, just saying.

What deck doesn't do well against Jund assuming Jund doesn't disrupt it at the beginning of the game?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I wouldn't really play anything that folds to a counterspell unless you know your meta isn't going to have anyone playing snapcaster mage. Snapcaster is the new deathrite for modern in terms of how much your going to see that loving card. Your going to see UWR control, UR delver shells, UW midrange, and so on. You'd be better off playing skylasher/witchstalker/mistcutter budget green in modern than restore balance imo. Maybe my meta just sucks :P

Basically everyone wants to play combo or anti-combo. Thats why people go gonzo for amulet of vigor and ur storm, and the best thing against combo is a counterspell. Aggro can race combo, and doesn't roll as hard to counters, so I suspect thats what we'll have. Naya aggro, robots, boggles, vs. combo, vs. control, with pod being the midrange deck of choice that isn't running blue. I'd pick up boggles pieces, replace the horizon canopies with something cheap and pray for daybreak coronet to be reprinted soon and it might be the best budget deck. Its only two color and can use a fastland, checkland, and shock, so really the manabase isn't crazy. its just the frickin coronets.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No lists yet so don't know quantities, but Jace vs. Vraska is on Gatherer.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=0&action=advanced&set=%5B%22Duel%20Decks:%20Jace%20vs.%20Vraska%22%5D

Remand, Future Sight, Jace: AoT and Underworld Connections?

Welp, buying 5.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

God drat it there has got to be a better way to put Remands on the market.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

God drat it there has got to be a better way to put Remands on the market.

Hey, maybe it's a 2-of! At that point, it's almost a steal.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Would the only safe magic investment be things on the reserved list?

$200 could buy you a few modern staples that would either go up or get reprinted, or an underground sea, which will never get reprinted and copies will only get destroyed or hoarded.

How is legacy going to be an event in 10 years when all duals belong to an elite caste of old guys?

Also it would be pretty funny if wizards sanctioned legacy events where you could legally proxy any card on the reserved list. "We didn't reprint them like you asked :smug:"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mehall posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=0&action=advanced&set=%5B%22Duel%20Decks:%20Jace%20vs.%20Vraska%22%5D

Welp, buying 5.

INSTANTLY BUYING ALL OF THEM.

I needed a playset of Remands and WotC just literally handed them out. Yes, good.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I like the new Body Double art.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

:qq: Ugh, why won't Wizards just print all the good cards and mail them to me for 20 dollars :qq:

Seriously guys, they reprinted a 20 dollar uncommon in a super accessible product that gets big print runs and ends up on Wal-Mart shelves at MSRP, its a good thing. Magic players are such cry babies.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

Welp, buying 5.

These things are usually a pretty solid deal. The Sorin V Tibbles one got you a good Standard planeswalker and some uncommon Modern staples, which is pretty much what you get with this one.

Mortimer posted:

$200 could buy you a few modern staples that would either go up or get reprinted, or an underground sea, which will never get reprinted and copies will only get destroyed or hoarded.

How is legacy going to be an event in 10 years when all duals belong to an elite caste of old guys?

Also it would be pretty funny if wizards sanctioned legacy events where you could legally proxy any card on the reserved list. "We didn't reprint them like you asked :smug:"
I'm personally holding out for

Subglacial Sea
Snow Land - Island Swamp
(T: Add U or B to your mana pool)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
These are seriously the first reprintings of Future Sight and Consume Strength? I could have sworn they'd already reappeared.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The new Night's Whisper art is much better than the original. It's hard to tell from the small picture, but I think I like the new Remand art better also.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mortimer posted:

What do you mean by safe investment? If you mean like investing for cash purposes then investing in magic cards is really dumb. Honestly a good policy is probably to only buy cards you intend to play with that way you don't buy $200 worth of vengevines and end up trading pain lands for cheeseburgers to make a living.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

INSTANTLY BUYING ALL OF THEM.

I needed a playset of Remands and WotC just literally handed them out. Yes, good.

drat, I hope they don't get sold out before I get paid. Wanted a cheap jace and remand is just icing on the cake.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I think I like the new Remand art better also.
Nope. Blue cards prominently featuring mages with Enchantile Dysfunction are always the best

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Don't invest in Magic cards, but if you have to, the P9 and original duals are basically never going to go down in price. If everyone agreed to stop playing Legacy, original dual lands would still find a way to go up in price somehow. They are never making any more of these cards and the number of them that exist will only get smaller over time.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

The new Night's Whisper art is much better than the original. It's hard to tell from the small picture, but I think I like the new Remand art better also.

Here's full size:

:geno:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

This also has Reaper of the Wilds in it, which has been somewhat of a spec target for a while now. Could see downward pressure on it if everyone's opening these up just for the Remands and walkers.

Not sure yet if that means to get out of Reapers now or to buy them all up when they get cheaper. I suspect buy.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's full size:

:geno:

Yeah, I like the original flavor more.

And the art.

But it's a 17 dollar card so I'm not complaining.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Glad it's being reprinted. Like the RAV art better.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

17 dollars? The price differences between the US and europe are strange, here you can get them for 10 bucks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

:qq: Ugh, why won't Wizards just print all the good cards and mail them to me for 20 dollars :qq:

Seriously guys, they reprinted a 20 dollar uncommon in a super accessible product that gets big print runs and ends up on Wal-Mart shelves at MSRP, its a good thing. Magic players are such cry babies.

I don't think anyone is unhappy? This is a really good set. If it is two remand it might actually sell out

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Bonus posted:

17 dollars? The price differences between the US and europe are strange, here you can get them for 10 bucks.

Buylists pay $12.50 for them here.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Promoted Pawn posted:

This also has Reaper of the Wilds in it, which has been somewhat of a spec target for a while now. Could see downward pressure on it if everyone's opening these up just for the Remands and walkers.

Not sure yet if that means to get out of Reapers now or to buy them all up when they get cheaper. I suspect buy.

No way everyone is going to buy for remands and walkers and trade the rest. Get out of reapers.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Drooling Groodion's flavor text has been re-attributed from 'Veszka' to 'Niszka'.

I demand answers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Semi :nws: but Rebecca Guay has a kickstarter for her art book. It is already funded, but there is less than a month to go on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1360132117/evolution-the-art-of-rebecca-guay-1993-2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I dunno, will buying the Duel Deck be sure to deliver value? I agree it could have 2 Remand, but stuff like Jace will surely be devalued ahead of time, and will probably slump at rotation, right?

Quite like the new Remand art.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Stinky Pit posted:

Yeah I'll be the person from the other side of the aisle agreeing with you. 30 or whatever for just a Remand would be bogus, but you ALSO get at least a Jace AOT and that's good value. Plus the ideal of reprints ought never be to crater the market, just offer a stern notice to retailers that your prices must be this sane to ride the ride. This is good and they sold me at least one deck via my small FLGS. Everybody wins.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Chainsawdomy posted:

Drooling Groodion's flavor text has been re-attributed from 'Veszka' to 'Niszka'.

I demand answers.

Selesnya are a hive mind. It's therefore likely that two seperate people could say the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BizarroAzrael posted:

I dunno, will buying the Duel Deck be sure to deliver value? I agree it could have 2 Remand, but stuff like Jace will surely be devalued ahead of time, and will probably slump at rotation, right?

Quite like the new Remand art.

Jace AOT is going to crater in value come rotation. Dude is unplayable in Modern, so unless you can get some underground bloodsport RTR block constructed league going, and I understand if you can't talk about that, I wouldn't worry about his value unless you plan on using him during Standard.

• Locked thread