Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

various cheeses posted:

The NOSdomi rides again I guess, in the form of a dong-shaped ship.

In soviet Russia, dong sucks you?

…sorry… :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ranbo das posted:

The way NOS originally worked is that it was just basically a neut that gave you the cap it drained, it was hella overpowered. Also OH MY GOD THEY'RE BRINGING ORIGINAL NOS BACK :swoon:

You still have a massive difference between the amount of energy a neut and a nos wipe out, so I don't see why everyone's circlejerking over the Bhaalgorn with this change. I'd assume it gives you the ability to drop the heavy cap booster, but outside of that, a neut still burns five times as much enemy cap as the nos does. :confused:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You still have a massive difference between the amount of energy a neut and a nos wipe out, so I don't see why everyone's circlejerking over the Bhaalgorn with this change. I'd assume it gives you the ability to drop the heavy cap booster, but outside of that, a neut still burns five times as much enemy cap as the nos does. :confused:

You still want to use neuts, it's just that the change allows your noz to not be completely useless after the first neut cycle.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Kuvo posted:

You still want to use neuts, it's just that the change allows your noz to not be completely useless after the first neut cycle.

That, and the fact that you can keep them capped out by using your nos rather than neuts, which means you effectively have a lot more cap to play with.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
On a bonused ship like the Bhaalgorn, one NOS will return more energy than a Neut consumes. Normally this wouldn't be very helpful because finding something near a Bhaalgorn with enough cap to suck on would be unreliable, to say the least. With the coming change, this means any hostile ship, including whatever poor bastard you're nuking right now, will be a powerful source of capacitor.

A Bhaalgorn with guaranteed bonus NOS cap will be able to do some pretty disgusting things.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The ability to count on bonus cap in a fight and dropping a heavy cap booster is a huge deal for Amarr which traditionally have midslot-starved ship designs. Old nos was a thing to behold.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Thank god, Serpentis keep their webs.

I'm happier with this round of changes than with any tiericide since t1 cruisers. I just hope the pirate cruisers come out as well as the frigates.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Oooh, frigates!

New Worm is rear end. It's actually worse than the old Worm, which is impressive.

New Cruor and Succubus are fantastic.
Dramiel/DD are basically unchanged, which is also good.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
I guess Rise isn't a complete idiot. Maybe he'll eventually come to his senses about rapid launcher reload times.

Khablam posted:

That's some serious ~~EFT warrior~~ stuff there.

People successfully fly far more expensive and vulnerable things every day. This has a covops cloak to let you pick every fight, and can solo anything frigate-sized other than a Sentinel or dual-rep Dramiel (or the new Cruor, yikes), neither of which you'd ever engage. With good piloting and decisionmaking, keeping something like this alive is not that difficult at all.

Faction-fit ships are not for everyone, but to say that a ship that can choose every fight and apply full DPS to something it has webbed at 18km while maintaining its own top speed is a 'bad idea' is basically saying that spending more than the absolute bare minimum on any ship is a bad idea. It certainly is for many people, and they should stick to T2 stuff. If you think a highly-survivable fit that only costs 3x the base hull price is unreasonable, please don't faction-fit.

tl;dr don't bling-shame

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

ullerrm posted:

Oooh, frigates!

New Worm is rear end. It's actually worse than the old Worm, which is impressive.

Dramiel/DD are basically unchanged, which is also good.

The Worm desperately needed more CPU and PG, which it got. It's still the slowest of the Pirate frigates, but it's not an immobile brick. I think it might be worth flying now, and I'm not only saying that because of my stockpile of Worm BPCs. :getin:

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

ullerrm posted:

I'd disagree, initially, though I'd like to play with it in EFT. It gained a lot: 8 effective drones / 3 effective launchers from 5 / 2, plus more grid, CPU, and speed. I guess it's worse against fast things like LML inties, but it should be considerably more effective against anything else, and easier to fit.

ullerrm posted:

The Cruor is massively improved - I can't figure out why people in the thread are complaining about the lack of nos/neut bonus when it has base 20km webs. If you want neut range bonuses, fly a Sentinel.

Succubus took a pretty big grid hit, which isn't a problem for a 1mn fit, but might make 10mn fits non-viable (which is too bad, it'd get like 3500m/s without speed mods). I'm still not sold on afterburner-only brawling frigs while 90% webs still exist. If it had enough grid to dual-prop, maybe.

Edit: If my math is right, a 10mn Succubus will push about 4000m/s before speedmods. It isn't, welp. 3300-3500 is probably accurate.

mikey fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 25, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

I'd disagree, initially, though I'd like to play with it in EFT. It gained a lot: 8 effective drones / 3 effective launchers from 5 / 2, plus more grid, CPU, and speed. I guess it's worse against fast things like LML inties, but it should be considerably more effective against anything else, and easier to fit.

What's crucial is that it didn't gain much grid. The Worm is already horrible to fit; you cannot slap a baseline fit -- rockets, an MSE, and a prop mod -- onto it without at least one fitting mod or rig. Good luck trying to cram LMLs onto that piece of poo poo. Don't even think about trying to use that option high if you're using MWD. The extra CPU helps a bit, but not enough.

(And now that it has no rocket velocity bonus, it's tricky to kite with it as well.)

The drones are a mixed bag. Sure, you now have eight drones' worth of DPS on paper. But that's really not much; that's 130dps with Warriors. And the fact that you only have two of them is a real issue when you consider tracking. Before, you could toss out five drones, and one would occasionally miss a shot here or there, but the average would be pretty good. With two mega-strength drones, every single miss or glancing blow means half your potential damage is gone.

It also means your GTFO abilities are gone. Old Worm could choose between 5x Warriors/Hobgobs for the gank, and 5x EC-300s for getting out. New worm has two quadruple-strength damage drones... and two normal-strength ECM drones that probably won't do poo poo. (And since you're basically forced to do scram/web, getting out may be important.)

New Worm is pure, unfiltered rear end. It'll be good for running frigate plexes in highsec with a 10MN fit, and it'll be good for ganking noobs.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 25, 2014

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

ullerrm posted:

What's crucial is that it didn't gain any grid or CPU.
But it did? :confused: It gained 5 grid and 20 CPU. An MSE fit should be doable now.

I see what you're saying about ECM drones, but the gain in DPS is very much non-trivial. You're talking 200+ DPS with Hobs and rockets now, you just need to fit a web to apply well (which was an issue with the existing Worm anyway).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
You should probably let them know in the thread about the worm being even worse than it was before. After the drone change I thought it looked awesome and :ccp: might be of the same mindset.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
Seriously, usually I agree with ullerm's take on things, but I'm really not seeing the issues with the Worm. It can comfortably fit 2x RLII, 1mn MWD/Scram/Web/MSEII, DCII/DDAII/NanoII for 7300 EHP, 245dps, and very respectable speed (I am clearly incapable of doing Eve speed math, but I think that fit is around 3300m/s? e: more like 3000m/s?).
e2: With rigs and the increase in shield hp, the EHP of that fit is actually about 10k. That's.. really good?

Maybe its role/advantages have changed a bit, but I'd take this any day over the anemic ~160dps max current version that can't be properly fitted.

mikey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 25, 2014

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

I have to wonder how much money some people in this thread think we have. As is we've been cutting reimbursement on pirate ships since the moon goo nerf. As fun as it would be, we won't see a pirate anything doctrine except for small gang stuff.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Officer noses on a bhaalgorn drain much more cap and cycle much faster at longer ranges than the nuets at a reduced price. Now I have an excuse for throwing money at my bhaal besides "when I lose it, I quit".

EDIT: 7.4s cycle time with high grade talismans on a Chelm's Nos, which means its cycling at the same speed as a medium nuet.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

Seriously, usually I agree with ullerm's take on things, but I'm really not seeing the issues with the Worm. It can comfortably fit 2x RLII, 1mn MWD/Scram/Web/MSEII, DCII/DDAII/NanoII for 7300 EHP, 245dps, and very respectable speed (I am clearly incapable of doing Eve speed math, but I think that fit is around 3300m/s? e: more like 3000m/s?).
e2: With rigs and the increase in shield hp, the EHP of that fit is actually about 10k. That's.. really good?

Maybe its role/advantages have changed a bit, but I'd take this any day over the anemic ~160dps max current version that can't be properly fitted.

You are correct -- I had a typo in my PyFa database edit. :( My bad. I'm still underwhelmed; those uber-drones look good on paper, but I'm really confident that the tracking issues on them will kill a lot of your paper DPS.

I'm sad that I effectively can't create my EFT data files anymore.

Vaga
Feb 21, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

Alright, so there's no need to have any kind of extremely high-level combat ability when I join? I'm just asking now because I know it can take 3-5 months to train decent skills for some of the bigger ships, much less good ones.

Hey I new also and I've been using this website as a rough guide for skill training.

http://blog.beyondreality.se/Newbie-skill-plan-2

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Groon is a lowsec shell corp for Goonswarm and totally not an irrelevant syndicate alliance with no ties to the CFC outside of blue standings with goonswarm because of goon solidarity or some poo poo.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1yvf29/everyone_was_being_so_nice/

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 25, 2014

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Elmnt80 posted:

Groon is a lowsec shell corp for Goonswarm and totally not an irrelevant syndicate alliance.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1yvf29/everyone_was_being_so_nice/

Oh god is that the dude they were scamming earlier? Priceless.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elmnt80 posted:

Officer noses on a bhaalgorn drain much more cap and cycle much faster at longer ranges than the nuets at a reduced price. Now I have an excuse for throwing money at my bhaal besides "when I lose it, I quit".

EDIT: 7.4s cycle time with high grade talismans on a Chelm's Nos, which means its cycling at the same speed as a medium nuet.

You might want to consider buying that now before they spike in price, since there might actually be a reason to use them now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Oh god is that the dude they were scamming earlier? Priceless.

It's more Marlona Skye claiming Groon is a Goon pet :psyduck:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Famethrowa posted:

It's more Marlona Skye claiming Groon is a Goon pet :psyduck:

Holy poo poo I just saw that. I cannot stop myself from laughing, this is the best.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Well at least it's good news for all the j4g's who are using groon as a holding corp!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ullerrm posted:

I'm still underwhelmed; those uber-drones look good on paper, but I'm really confident that the tracking issues on them will kill a lot of your paper DPS.

What would be different than the current version, besides it being more feast-or-famine? It's 5 drones attacking at 100% damage vs 2 attacking at 400% right?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

padijun posted:

What would be different than the current version, besides it being more feast-or-famine? It's 5 drones attacking at 100% damage vs 2 attacking at 400% right?

Variance of applied damage is much higher in the short term

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

padijun posted:

There aren't that many ships both fast and agile enough to make light drones effectively miss anyway. I'd venture that most of those are not easily killable by the current Worm either, and the only real loss in that situation is the lack of ECM drone power.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the bonus apply to ECM drones as well. Two 4-point multispec ECM drones would give the ship another unique role for frigate combat (at the expense of 85% of its DPS), and ECM drones have low enough EHP that they'd still be easily destroyable.

gwrtheyrn posted:

This is true, but the Worm is pretty tough for a frigate. Unless you're trying to punch seriously above your weight, you're not going to be dying before the damage starts to even out.

Also, this is equally true of 2-gun faction frigates with 200-300% bonuses, and nobody complains about those?

mikey fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2014

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

gwrtheyrn posted:

So lower but more steady damage is preferable?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hazdoc posted:

Holy poo poo I just saw that. I cannot stop myself from laughing, this is the best.

I like the people who think that actual alliance logistics services let people use collateral. If you can't trust your alliance logistics, you're probably in the wrong alliance.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

padijun posted:

So lower but more steady damage is preferable?

Generally not, and it depends how much lower. I don't really have a problem with the proposed worm. It is true that having a drone miss is a bigger deal than if it had 5 drones, but I would say that this is a bigger deal for if/when you're recalling/relaunching drones than if your drones are missing. If it's just your 2 drones shooting consistently, you'll have the same average dps in the long term, but if you recall a drone every time it gets shot at, you lose 50% of your drone dps for that time

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Booley posted:

I like the people who think that actual alliance logistics services let people use collateral. If you can't trust your alliance logistics, you're probably in the wrong alliance.

Obligatory reference to TEST JF services.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

ullerrm posted:

You are correct -- I had a typo in my PyFa database edit. :( My bad. I'm still underwhelmed; those uber-drones look good on paper, but I'm really confident that the tracking issues on them will kill a lot of your paper DPS.

I'm sad that I effectively can't create my EFT data files anymore.

You have a really valid point with drone damage application, but despite that I think the bursty nature of the drone shots will make a much bigger difference in the lower ehp of frigate-on-frigate combat. Nailing a guy with a 400 damage wrecking shot off a Hobgoblin II will never get old, and it's something you can do from 50km out (travel time notwithstanding).

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Generally not, and it depends how much lower. I don't really have a problem with the proposed worm. It is true that having a drone miss is a bigger deal than if it had 5 drones, but I would say that this is a bigger deal for if/when you're recalling/relaunching drones than if your drones are missing. If it's just your 2 drones shooting consistently, you'll have the same average dps in the long term, but if you recall a drone every time it gets shot at, you lose 50% of your drone dps for that time

You might be interested in knowing that a Worm Hobgoblin II with drone durability IV has roughly the ehp of the T1 Slashers we hand out. When you fly with the Worm, it's like you've got two adorable newbies backing you up. :3:

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 26, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
CEO update, only really important part is this:

quote:

Effective immediately, all Goonwaffe members will enjoy a 100% reimbursement bonus on all subcapital reimbursement, peacetime or strategic, in addition to the alliance rate. That means that if a Waffe member loses a Harpy, not only will he receive the current standard 45m isk reimbursement which is the alliance default, he will also receive an additional 45m isk from the corp: you will literally profit from PvP, not merely PvP for free. This brings Waffe reimbursements in line with the existing membercorp bonus reimbursements which are handled at a corp level.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

We're not that rich where I can just go get a daredevil, deadspace fit it, and welp it solo in lowsec everyday and have it reimbursed, right?

(I've never filed for reimbursment on anything because I don't give two shits about the drakes or frigates I lost when Theta went to roam in lowsec.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kheldragar posted:

We're not that rich where I can just go get a daredevil, deadspace fit it, and welp it solo in lowsec everyday and have it reimbursed, right?

Faction frigate reimbursement is still 25m, so even with the doubling you'd still eat most of the cost. Sorry.

Really though who gives a poo poo about that, the real upside of this is what it does to t1 ships and the newbie experience. You can literally forgo ratting altogether unless you want to start flying crazy faction poo poo and/or plexing your account.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Graviton Physics just became the best PvE skill in the game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Faction frigate reimbursement is still 25m, so even with the doubling you'd still eat most of the cost. Sorry.

Really though who gives a poo poo about that, the real upside of this is what it does to t1 ships and the newbie experience. You can literally forgo ratting altogether unless you want to start flying crazy faction poo poo and/or plexing your account.

So if I, as a 15 day old newbie, hop into a cruiser or something...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Artificer posted:

So if I, as a 15 day old newbie, hop into a cruiser or something...?

Blow up > receive 50 million > repeat

• Locked thread