Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

El Seven posted:

DLC 2 has been announced:
It's got a new way to play the game that I suspect some of you are going to really really really like.

This is wishful thinking, but I hope the "new way to play" is the ability to choose your own home bases from almost any structure, and add/build on to those structures in ways other than "insert Workshop in this pre-determined square"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mental Midget posted:

This is wishful thinking, but I hope the "new way to play" is the ability to choose your own home bases from almost any structure, and add/build on to those structures in ways other than "insert Workshop in this pre-determined square"

Not possible in their current lovely engine, they've said that quite a few times already.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Design your own survivor could be a thing they could do?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I don't think there's another game out there like this one so I'll be pleased with more to do even if they don't address the things I wanted changed.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm surprised that the new map won't be playable in Breakdown. That seems like an obvious way to use it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm surprised that the new map won't be playable in Breakdown. That seems like an obvious way to use it.

Yeah, that's a rather odd decision on their part.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Breakdown offers both difficulty and the ability drag the game on and on for a long time. I hope they plan on adding something to address both of those things if it won't play ball with Breakdown. If it's a DLC similar to the one shot campaign the original game is, I'm not sure I'd even bother to buy it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Indeed, especially after being through Breakdown, the story mode is laughably easy. If the new DLC doesn't somehow keep it challenging, I would be hard pressed to buy it as well.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
From this this thread, we know what Lifeline will NOT have:

Sanya posted:

So, people who don't know anything about video games often think a community weenie's job is creating hype. It...can be? But a much bigger part of the job is about crushing your dreams. Or, as I'm supposed to call it when I'm talking to players, "expectation management."

If you think I'm hinting at giving you chocolate, and instead what you get is a snow cone, my poor little game gets heaps and heaps of pure internet rage. But if I tell you you're getting a snow cone, and then we bust our rear end to give you the greatest snow cone we can imagine AND you get the unexpected option of soft serve, things work out better for everyone.

Thus, I want to be super, super clear:

There is no multiplayer component in Lifeline. Jeff's post from last July still stands. If we had started working on multiplayer last July, we would still not be done, there would have been no DLC at all, there would be no PC version, and more importantly from your point of view, there would have been no patches or fixes. In that alternate universe, there would have effectively been silence from the Lab since June.

Feh, I say to that. I was bleeding inside when we announced that multiplayer was being pushed out to our next game, but at the time I thought it was the right call, and now I'm SURE it was the right call.

There is no character customization in Lifeline. Our central concept was that you customized a community by who you chose to rescue and develop. People are who they are when the apocalypse starts, with no chance to minmax. Individual customization, in choosing skills/clothing/facial piercing, is not part of State of Decay.

Lifeline is separate from Breakdown is separate from Original Recipe. Because there are different game systems in all three things, you can't cross back and forth between them. You can't take your community from O.R. over to the map in Lifeline, and you can't bring your beast survivors who've made it to level 19 in Breakdown over to Lifeline.

I don't usually like posting these unless I can immediately tell you what you are going to get, and I can't yet because Geoffrey needs to finish some stuff. I could see some speculation getting out of hand, though, and I never want you to feel disappointed if I can help it. I swear to you that the soft serve is amazing. Please hang in there for a couple weeks.

And from this thread we know that Lifeline will have

Sanya posted:

...only one base on the new map (and that will make perfect sense when Geoffrey describes the gameplay, don't worry). But it's a brand new one you've never seen before, with ten facilities.

There is currently a contest to guess the new base with the following options to choose from:

A) A rural manor house surrounded by corn fields

B) A small-town landing strip barricaded by wrecked airplanes

C) A hastily-erected military installation on the outskirts of a burning city

D) An abandoned industrial yard full of derelict machinery

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Sounds like a siege/defense mode where your goal is to survive as long as possible?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

El Seven posted:

From this this thread, we know what Lifeline will NOT have:

And from this thread we know that Lifeline will have

There is currently a contest to guess the new base with the following options to choose from:

A) A rural manor house surrounded by corn fields

B) A small-town landing strip barricaded by wrecked airplanes

C) A hastily-erected military installation on the outskirts of a burning city

D) An abandoned industrial yard full of derelict machinery

A just sounds like McReady Homestead. Of the others D sounds like the most reasonable.

I was hoping for something like a ski resort on a mountain with cave systems or something. Ah well.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
So, going back a lot of pages, does the repawning houses bug still work? I'm down for an easier experience my first time through and I was hoping that having houses respawn materials and things after a few days still exists or if it got patched out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
What does the Breakdown DLC add to the game? Endless mode basically? I ask because it's on sale on Steam right now.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

What does the Breakdown DLC add to the game? Endless mode basically? I ask because it's on sale on Steam right now.

If you enjoyed the base game, but thought it was over too quickly and/or was too easy, then you would find value in the Breakdown DLC. Aside from increasing the game's difficulty, another aspect of the DLC I really enjoyed was unlocking heroes through in-game achievements.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mental Midget posted:

If you enjoyed the base game, but thought it was over too quickly and/or was too easy, then you would find value in the Breakdown DLC. Aside from increasing the game's difficulty, another aspect of the DLC I really enjoyed was unlocking heroes through in-game achievements.

My main problem with SoD in general is the frame rate. I rarely get above 20-25 fps, and in battle I dip to about 10-15, and given the sometimes awful indoor camera angles it becomes an impossibility to use firearms and challenge to even melee.

So increasing the difficulty of battle doesn't strike me as a feasible notion. If I had better performance I'd be all for it, since using my primary fighters with level 7 combat/specialization = lots of dead zombies during ideal confrontations.

Also, if anyone can figure out why a normally-good PC has terrible framerate and potential workarounds I'm all ears. I've turned down level of detail and resolution as far as I'm willing. Normally Mass Effect 3 runs smooth as silk.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Pander posted:

My main problem with SoD in general is the frame rate. I rarely get above 20-25 fps, and in battle I dip to about 10-15, and given the sometimes awful indoor camera angles it becomes an impossibility to use firearms and challenge to even melee.

So increasing the difficulty of battle doesn't strike me as a feasible notion. If I had better performance I'd be all for it, since using my primary fighters with level 7 combat/specialization = lots of dead zombies during ideal confrontations.

Also, if anyone can figure out why a normally-good PC has terrible framerate and potential workarounds I'm all ears. I've turned down level of detail and resolution as far as I'm willing. Normally Mass Effect 3 runs smooth as silk.

The game definitely is not optimized very well at all. Undead Labs may be a talented developer but they weren't able to get the Crytek engine to run in an open world environment smoothly. It doesn't run well on the 360 either. Your mileage may vary, but a couple things I've done on PC to try and get the game to run better was to disable Steam overlay and make sure Steam wasn't running in compatibility mode (instructions here.) I also downloaded a mod that completely disables shadows in the game.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 28, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I just got this today based on the OP. Does this game have a must have mod for the first time through that enhances the story game without making it a slog? Or is vanilla that good?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

FadedReality posted:

I just got this today based on the OP. Does this game have a must have mod for the first time through that enhances the story game without making it a slog? Or is vanilla that good?

I've spent a few hours with it, and so far, the only things that are really bothering me are a) the fact that side-quest missions keep popping up, and b) the characters get worn out while running missions too quickly. Neither thing is game-breaking in any way, it just gets my OCD going.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/19/

I find that to be invaluable but only really if you're going to go the distance with Breakdown. Vanilla is quite easy, going without mods is fine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bumping the thread for a bit, with an early game (I think) question: Ed died first time I played, but I learned there was a time limit- is this real or ingame time, and how long either way?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Bumping the thread for a bit, with an early game (I think) question: Ed died first time I played, but I learned there was a time limit- is this real or ingame time, and how long either way?

I don't know the limit but Lily will usually radio you about "Ed's looking real bad now" which might be a good clue about "Hey go get the doc asap"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It also won't begin until you go and find Jacob, iirc, since you can't go find the doc until Eli runs off home. You can basically gently caress around indefinitely until you hit that checkpoint, at which time there's a time limit I guess. you can also ignore Sgt Tam forever once he's out in the field.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

coyo7e posted:

It also won't begin until you go and find Jacob, iirc, since you can't go find the doc until Eli runs off home. You can basically gently caress around indefinitely until you hit that checkpoint, at which time there's a time limit I guess. you can also ignore Sgt Tam forever once he's out in the field.

Does Jacob not have a timer on his first event? He kept radioing sounding more and more distressed while I was out gathering building supplies, so I figured eventually he would die if I didn't save him. I then did the events up to Ed becoming playable, then promptly got him eaten by a Feral when I went out scavenging with him. Sorry Ed!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Maya ran into a Feral and got loving trashed. I understand that there are some fighting techniques that can be useful, but the game doesn't bother to list how to do them, and the OP only gives controls for a controller. Help?

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
For a feral, wait until it's close and jumps at you, then roll forward under it. Missing you with it's pounce will stun it for a couple of seconds and you can run the couple of steps back to it and execute it. Similar method of trashing normal zombies; roll under them and they stand there confused for a couple of seconds; push them onto their knees with the execute key, then execute again to jump on their head. Roll is good for stopping screamers from screaming too, it knocks them over.

Basically, learn to love your roll and execute keys.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Skandranon's Feral fighting guide.

General Tips:
- Learn what their roar sounds like.
- Always have a snack ready for fighting one, and unless you are feeling invincible, use the snack as soon as you hear the feral roar.
- Always have a throwable distraction (kitchen timer/firecrackers).
- Don't feel invincible or be a hero, there is no shame in running away.

Situation 0: You see a feral while driving around

This is the easiest way to take out a feral, with a car. They are just as damaging as normal zombies to hit, so go nuts. They will attempt to dodge, but will overwhelmingly dodge to the left (from your POV). So drive straight at them, and before you hit them, swerve left and open your car door, and you'll get them 90% of the time. There is no shame in dispatching all of them like this, though it might be good to practice fighting them under optimal conditions so you can handle one when things are not so ideal.

Situation 1: A lone feral spots you and begins charging

This is your most likely feral situation. As covered by Voyeur, wait until he closes and attempts to tackle you, then roll forward underneath it. This will cause the feral to faceplant himself on the ground, making him vulnerable to an execution maneuver. An execution is the best way to kill a feral, as only a juggernaut has more hit points. Once he has faceplanted himself, he will start to get up immediately, much faster than other zombies. Try to roll backwards or turn and roll over him. This will interrupt his getting up animation, and allow you to execute him.

Situation 2: A feral is engaging you in melee 1 on 1

Once the feral has tried pouncing, he won't try again for a bit. He will then proceed to try pummeling you with his fists, which are surprisingly effective. He will execute a 'frenzy' combo attack, which can take up to half of your health off if it completely connects. It starts with a 1-2 swipe with his hands. Once you notice him doing this maneuver, roll directly into him. This will interrupt the combo, and confuse him for a bit. You can then proceed to wail on him with your melee attacks until he tries to frenzy again. If you have Spin Kick, it will knock down a feral, and can be used to set up an execution attack. This is preferable if you have it.

Situation 3: A feral AND multiple zombies are coming for you

This is almost certain death. You will be unable to get your execute maneuver off with the other zombies in the way. You need to separate the feral from the zombies. This can be done in a few ways.
a) Book it for a car. Once in the car, you can refer to Situation 0.
b) Use the perpetual stamina from your snack that you just ate, and book it in the other direction. You can't outrun the feral, but you may be able to create enough distance so the other zombies lose interest, allowing you time to dispatch the feral as in Situation 1.
c) Use your throwable distraction item to distract the zombies, which should give you enough time to deal with the feral as in Situation 1 or 2.
d) Tossing a flammable item in front of (not at), allowing the feral and zombies to run through the fire, can turn the odds. The fire won't outright kill a feral, but it will flop around on the ground for a bit, allowing you time to get to a car or execute him. The fire should also kill the normal zombies.

Situation 4: A feral has successfully pounced you

This will probably one shot you if you do not have almost max health buffs (Level 7 fighting, Cooked meal, etc). However, let us not give up hope. Mash away on the spacebar (or whatever key you have set up), and if you manage to stand up again, see Situations 1-3. They will usually try pouncing again, unless you kicked them into a wall close by.

Firearms are another way to dispatch ferals, though this can be very difficult as they are surprisingly agile and they know what guns are. If you aim at them, they will dodge side to side while charging you. If you have bullet-time, this makes it trivial to take them down. Headshots are essential, as most bodyshots won't even slow them down, though shotguns will knock them flat on their backs. However, as Breakdown levels increase you are more likely to make things much worse for yourself by using loud (shotgun/revolver) guns, and it's usually better to practice the melee takedowns of a feral.

Happy hunting!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Also note that you can press sprint and the jump button to do a drop kick which can knock the Feral onto the ground. Then try either executing them (they get up reeeeeeal fast though, usually before you recover) or over them while they're down to keep 'em down and then execute. This is risky as it takes a lot of stamina, especially for a low level character, but sometimes that Feral has to die RIGHT NOW before the other zombies catch up.

As a general tip though, play around with the items like distractions/mines etc. Don't be dumb like me and ignore/hoard them for ages before finally figuring out how useful they are, especially as you go up in breakdown levels. And always carry snacks. Break open food containers if you need to, they're the a plentiful resource and give good amounts of snacks.

e: also, did they change that bug/feature where your ammo stocks would reset to 60 if you hadn't played for a while? I vaguely remember patch notes to that effect.

fake e: oh. They changed snacks going down to 2-3, increased ammo to 120. drat it if I scavenge 300 rounds I drat well want to shoot them at something!

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
You can use your characters as ammo storage units. Any ammo on them is permanent, so I usually have everyone filled to the brim with bullets. And since they trade at a 1-1 ratio, you don't lose anything taking them in and out of storage. Does make kicking them out more difficult... I load up the ones I don't want to stick around with 2x4s and other junk so they don't spontaneously take a gun out of storage.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
DLC 2 aka Lifeline news

Geoffrey on the Undead Labs website posted:

One major goal of our DLC is to explore new perspectives — to find interesting people in the world of State of Decay whose lives we haven’t experienced yet, and see what it’s like to face the crisis from where they stand.

This is what led us to create State of Decay: Lifeline — an expansion that explores the military side of the zombie apocalypse.

Taking Command
Few people have a greater opportunity to make life-altering choices than soldiers.In zombie fiction, the military is often the go-to badguy. They’re the hammer to which every problem is a nail, blindly mowing everything down to serve some unknown goal.

But this view is fairly one-sided and naïve. On the State of Decay team, we have a different perspective (some of us firsthand) — the military is made up of many good men and women who stand on the line that divides safety and civilization from chaos and war.

Few people have a greater opportunity to make life-altering choices than soldiers. They’ve played that role as side characters in the original State of Decay...but now we are adding a new story, in which you take on that responsibility yourself.

Losing Ground
At the height of the initial crisis, you still have support, but things are rapidly breaking down.You control Greyhound One — a small surviving unit that has been sent to the fallen city of Danforth to rescue scientists whose research is critical to fighting the outbreak.

This is at the height of the initial crisis. You still have a chain of command and access to off-map support, but the voices over the radio are making it clear that things are rapidly breaking down.

So what you end up with is the inverse of the usual progression. Instead of starting with nothing, and slowly building yourself up into a post-apocalyptic powerhouse, you start the game as a well-equipped, well-supported military unit, and then must learn to improvise as one resource after another is depleted…and isn’t coming back.

Holding the Line
You have defenses, artillery to call in, well-trained soldiers, and military-grade weaponry. But in the end, it’s down to fighting tooth versus blade.One of your first imperatives is to secure the Landing Zone where you can receive supply drops and extract civilians. This location becomes your base, which you must defend at all costs against the zombie horde.

Since this is a military story, we have the perfect opportunity to expand on the concept of defending that base. The people you are here to rescue are extremely important — and extremely tasty. If you let zombies overrun your gates, these helpless civilians will be among the first to feed the horde. Lose too many, and your mission is over.

You have minefields and defenses to build and upgrade. Off-map artillery to call in. Well-trained soldiers who will guard weak points and respond to zombie threats. A stock of military-grade weaponry to use from several commanding positions. But in the end, when the zeds get into the heart of your base, it’s down to fighting tooth versus blade.

Distributing Intel
In the coming weeks, we’re going to expand on more of these topics. We’ll introduce our all-new cast of characters, investigate our new military facilities and defenses, explore the map of Danforth, break down the military hardware…and add a few more surprises.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

El Seven posted:

DLC 2 aka Lifeline news

That sounds interesting. Usually the hairiest time in SoD (Breakdown at least) is the first hour or so where you have little to nothing and build it up; it would be neat to play a scenario where you have everything at the start, lose it as you go and see how long you can survive.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bussamove posted:

Does Jacob not have a timer on his first event? He kept radioing sounding more and more distressed while I was out gathering building supplies, so I figured eventually he would die if I didn't save him. I then did the events up to Ed becoming playable, then promptly got him eaten by a Feral when I went out scavenging with him. Sorry Ed!
I never took so long that he died, but I am pretty sure I've ignored him for a couple days' worth of paying, once or twice. You can also skip any quests beginning by not climbing the first tower to explore the church town (drawing a blank on name) or getting medicine from the vet clinic - I've used that to ferry big piles of supplies to the front door of the safehouse and then I can transfer immediately to a new safe house before poo poo starts popping up.

I never failed a mission that I can think of though, by not attending to it in a timely manner. v:shobon:v

Voyeur posted:

For a feral, wait until it's close and jumps at you, then roll forward under it.
It's generally more reliable and safer to use the drop-kick, instead.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 28, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
edit: oops DP

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I never failed a mission that I can think of though, by not attending to it in a timely manner. v:shobon:v
It's generally more reliable and safer to use the drop-kick, instead.

Roundhouse kicks for life.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yes however, every character can't do a roundhouse kick, especially not at Fighting 1.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Drop kicks stun-lock the feral. Rolling won't.

That DLC sounds awesome! Everything becomes more boring once you beat the scarcity game, even if you never picked up a melee weapon.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Rolling on top a Feral when it's already down will keep it down. Roll away from their pounce, roll over them, stomp. Or drop kick them, then roll over them to keep them down long enough to stomp. Either way, the safest place to be when a Feral is around is right on top of it.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I tried the rolling method instead of my usual drop kick method against a feral during a besieged mission and now Marcus is dead. Thanks a lot, goons. :negative:

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Geoffrey, the lead developer of Lifeline, has reponded to some questions & comments:

(the bolded parts below are the names of the forum members Geoffrey is responding to)

Hey, guys! Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm about to dive into a ton of hard work finishing up Lifeline, but hearing your enthusiasm makes it all totally worth it

I think there are a few questions I can answer without spoiling future design articles too much ...

King of AR
"Will we be able to assign soldiers to certain positions?" We want to avoid micromanagement, and let you focus on the action ... so Chris Willoughby has been adding some cool new behaviors to the soldiers' AI to make them independent. They take up defensive positions with their guns, and then rush in to help each other when the zombies break through the lines.

"What size will our starting group be?" You'll have at least a trio of well-developed characters, as you did at the beginning of the original game. Plus a bench of randomly-selected soldiers that you can deepen by rescuing stranded Army units. We'll go into more detail about the characters in a future article ...

"Will any new skills be added?" We're making a few tweaks. More on that when we discuss base facilities ...

Thunder Ice
One of our goals with Lifeline is to create a denser story made up of moral and strategic choices with real consequences. The brass isn't going to pull you out of Danforth for a single mistake ... but they also didn't send you in there for R&R. The knowledge that you can actually succeed or fail at your broader mission adds greater weight to all your decisions, and makes it really a huge deal when you successfully extract one of your high-value assets.

It's unlikely that anyone will have a "perfect" run through the first time. So we're going for a dense and fast-paced story, with a lot of variation, to make it interesting to jump back in and try again for the "best" outcome, no matter what happens your first time through.

Fayd
It's great to hear your passion about the military — and it's a very familiar sentiment around here. I haven't been in the service myself, but several members of the team have, and we reached out for all the best advice we could get to make the story and setting as authentic as possible.

Primus
While defending your new base against the horde is one of our most exciting new features, it isn't the entire game. You'll still be enjoying the old-school State of Decay experience, exploring neighborhoods, helping survivors, ransacking houses, sneaking up on zombies, etc.

GTigers55
You're definitely going to be driving around in Lifeline. The map is smaller, but it's not that small.

Bond Servant
You could always keep your weaker members safe! Throwing them in the meat grinder was your decision

In Lifeline, you do need to protect them, but if you succeed, they get extracted ... so they're not dead weight on your community.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

What's up with the never-ending string of "Let's trade ammo for food!" bullshit? Guys, we have two units of ammo and 82 units of food. This is a stupid trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

LuciferMorningstar posted:

What's up with the never-ending string of "Let's trade ammo for food!" bullshit? Guys, we have two units of ammo and 82 units of food. This is a stupid trade.

I'm getting a lot of useless trades like that, but at least refusing them only costs a small pittance of influence, although you don't get the trust that completing it gives you. At least I'm fairly sure completing those gives trust with those particular survivors.

• Locked thread