Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
The harmless weirdoes are part of some of the best jokes in 2000AD, I can't tell you how happy I was seeing the Belly Wheel in the opening sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I actually think introducing brony pastiches to MC1 to make fun of them would be perfect.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jabby posted:

Eh, I don't really see it. As far as I remember all her lieutenants/minions are guys and she treats them fine (apart from the techy guy, and he is more a prisoner than anything). And she mowed down men and women alike in hunting the Judges. Her motive for not torturing Anderson didn't really seem fabricated.

She took out his eyes and replaced them with implants.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Davros1 posted:

She took out his eyes and replaced them with implants.

Yes? I was saying she tortures him because he doesn't want to work for her and it's a way of keeping him in line. I just don't get the sense that she enjoys torturing/emasculating men (other than her former pimp) and wants to 'protect' Anderson because she's a woman. She just does whatever makes the most sense for her business.

She isn't even interested in dealing with the competing drug dealers at the start. She wants them skinned and thrown off the balcony sure, but just so their bodies send a message. Kay is the one who actually cares that their deaths are as unpleasant as possible which is why he suggests the slo-mo. MaMa only cares about the result, not the torture itself.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Fine, they're both monsters who complement each other. What exactly are you people trying to get at?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

He knows he killed it, box office sales be damned. I'd be bummed to see any other chin in that helmet.

Seriously, for someone wearing a helmet that covered his entire face he gave an amazing performance. I loved this movie but wouldn't really care to see a sequel not starring karl urban.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Christmas Miracle posted:

Seriously, for someone wearing a helmet that covered his entire face he gave an amazing performance.

I didn't know it was possible to frown that deeply outside of a cartoon. It was amazing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

All Judge Dredd needed was a mean scowl, and Karl urban loving nailed it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's really impressive that when he needed to emote (like when the gatling gun was starting up), he managed by *frowning bigger*.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Urban is just really good in general. He's way underutilized in the Star Trek movies.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Welcome to the Karl Urban Appreciation Center.

I keep watching Almost Human http://www.hulu.com/watch/600425

I also like to tweet @fox and the almost human producers and suggest that they just drop the pretense and turn Almost Human into a Dredd tv series. It's pretty close already, but it of course has to balance that schlocky CSI-ish poo poo. I also would have rather Donald Glover been the droid sidekick.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KoRMaK posted:

Welcome to the Karl Urban Appreciation Center.
I also would have rather Donald Glover been the droid sidekick.

Gentlemen, I believe we've found our new Walter

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dorian can be Giant, the pretty lady detective can be Hershey, the Chief can get some facial hair and be Chief Judge McGruder. Yeah this will work.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

beyond just frowning (which actually worked surprisingly well for what it is) i thought urban's body language in Dredd really enhanced the character. it's different enough from other judges to set him apart from them but fits perfectly in the context of the dredd character. there's a hint of robocop in there i think, but maybe i'm just imagining that because of the associations i draw between the two movies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

beyond just frowning (which actually worked surprisingly well for what it is) i thought urban's body language in Dredd really enhanced the character. it's different enough from other judges to set him apart from them but fits perfectly in the context of the dredd character. there's a hint of robocop in there i think, but maybe i'm just imagining that because of the associations i draw between the two movies.

While obviously Robocop takes a lot from Judge Dredd, I'd say the "you have ten seconds to comply" bit from Dredd was a definite nod to Robocop.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think Robocop was inspired by Dredd.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Robocop was inspired by Dredd.

Even if it the character of Robocop wasn't inspired by Dredd, both are thematically similar. They are both satirical commentaries on society through the lens of law enforcement, and both us a dystopian setting for added contrast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ed Neumeier has said Robocop was inspired by Judge Dredd in interviews

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's that time in the thread where someone posts the picture of the original Robocop design

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not denying that, I'm just saying that they are both satirizing a lot of the same things in similar ways, which means there is going to be a lot of overlap. Some of that overlap may be a direct result of inspiration, but not all of it is necessarily, i.e. just because Robocop was inspired by Judge Dredd, not all similarities are homages...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't think I have watched Dredd as many times as I have watched Robocop, but it's pretty close. It really is a classic piece of comic book ultra violent schlock, and I think it will age just as well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

All Judge Dredd needed was a mean scowl, and Karl urban loving nailed it.

I just saw the movie the other day, and me and my girlfriend found The Scowl comical, not intimidating.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I just saw the movie the other day, and me and my girlfriend found The Scowl comical, not intimidating.

Congratulations, you got the point.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

marktheando posted:

"you have ten seconds to comply"

i practically stood up and cheered when he said this. also i agree the scowl is meant to be funny

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
His scowl is definitely meant for amusement and black humor rather than being meant to be uber-serious. I love when they're investigating the three skinned murder victims towards the beginning. Dredd himself isn't really the focus on the scene but while they're discussing the situation Anderson says "I don't know" and Dredd scowls just a little deeper, like he's not even totally in the shot but it it's there before she even finished the sentence and always makes me smile.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The ultra-scowl when Dredd's been shot through the stomach is one of the funniest parts of the movie.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Congratulations, you got the point.

I love you man! I've tried to explain it to people many times but I'm barely as succinct as this. Dredd just blew over way too many peoples' head.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people have trouble when something is multiple "things" at once. Dredd IS a complete and utter badass, but he is also a caricature. They are not exclusive. A lot of people want to pick a side and call the other side wrong, and, surprisingly enough, interpretation of art does not often work that way...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

A lot of people have trouble when something is multiple "things" at once. Dredd IS a complete and utter badass, but he is also a caricature. They are not exclusive.

This is 100% accurate and people really have trouble accepting that both are often the case (see also: Robocop, Batman, etc.)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is 100% accurate and people really have trouble accepting that both are often the case (see also: Robocop, Batman, etc.)

Yeah, I mean Dredd's growly voice sounds like someone trying to parody Bale's Batvoice, but it totally works because it's so clearly satire, and because Dredd is badass enough that he earns the "trying too hard" tough-guy growl. I just watched this for the first time and I was impressed at how remarkably the film conveys this self-aware satirical vibe while also being played completely straight. I can't recall a film that strikes such a fine balance; Nolan's batfilms are more firmly in the "playing it straight" camp, while Robocop is a comedy.

My favorite part is when Dredd keeps switching to different types of ammo, seeing that he's out, then finally finds one and immediately, effortlessly blows a dude's head up with a sweet and satisfying little pop. I had to laugh out loud because it felt so meta, like he was asking the script "Which cool special effect have we not shown the audience yet? We did the stun thing, we did hotshot, we did incendiary rounds... oh we haven't done a head-pop? Okay let's do that one now." Then a few minutes later I was unironically fistpumping in excitement when he started reloading his arsenal from the corpses of the other guys.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 27, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I keep coming back to the forums because I'm stalling on my huge coding homework assignment. I just came back to read the new post in this thread while I was trying to pick music to listen to while coding. Duh, Dredd soundtrack...

fake edit: I apparently never clicked post. But 3 hours later, my homework is done.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die
Nothing livens up a 40 minute public transport commute more than the Dredd OST.

'You Look Ready'

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

KoRMaK posted:

This may be the only time I ever say that I wouldn't mind a MLP crossover with something I like.

I'd like to see adults being weird creepy MLP fans outlawed in MC1 and Dredd cube each one he comes across.

Actually, no, nevermind. I'd rather not. Keep MLP out of anything I like.

gently caress cubes, they all get the incendiary treatment. Pop pop, white phos bitches :unsmigghh:

DeathChicken posted:

It's really impressive that when he needed to emote (like when the gatling gun was starting up), he managed by *frowning bigger*.

>:(

*miniguns rev up*

>:C

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I think it is a combination of EXTREMELY good costume on Dredd's part (the military/biker heavy leathers) and Urban adding a feeling of weight and tiredness to everything he does. Dredd does everything in a slow paced but deliberate manor of a experienced professional that has seen it all before and does't waste any movement.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

It's more impressive that he managed to convey the degree of his frown, an expression usually defined by the eyebrow/forehead area, using only his lower face.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

BexGu posted:

I think it is a combination of EXTREMELY good costume on Dredd's part (the military/biker heavy leathers) and Urban adding a feeling of weight and tiredness to everything he does. Dredd does everything in a slow paced but deliberate manor of a experienced professional that has seen it all before and does't waste any movement.

Plus a lot of Urbans poses where taken straight out of classic, early Judge Dredd. The Judge Dredd the costume was based on.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Plus a lot of Urbans poses where taken straight out of classic, early Judge Dredd. The Judge Dredd the costume was based on.
Lanky Disco Dredd?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Goddamn this movie was so good. After reading the comics (thanks Jedit!) I want a sequel sooo bad!

I think they really nailed the casting for this movie. There really wasn't a dud in the cast, imo. Urban was a perfect choice, as was Thirlby. She did a great job as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

h210679 posted:

Nothing livens up a 40 minute public transport commute more than the Dredd OST.

'You Look Ready'

It's pretty much the best music to play MechWarrior too also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

sebmojo posted:

It's pretty much the best music to play MechWarrior too also.

And to write pen and paper RPGs to. It's part of my work playlist.

• Locked thread