Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Livingtrope posted:

I think it's more of a they're not all from youtube kind of thing, though I'm not sure where else you would find LPs other then youtube and SA.

A lot of other community based forums have lp sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lazyfire posted:

Phil's a special case because he more or less makes money on just making GBS threads out content at a pace of like a video per hour every single day.

The average YouTube guy seems to do three videos a day of different games one day and then on day two three videos of different games, then repeat for all eternity. Most of these people sound like they occasionally have fun with games at the least where Phil seems to be some sort of mentally challenged shaved ape that can only hit all the buttons at once while making grunts and throwing rage fits when a move "doesn't come out" or something.

YouTube LPers (which is a terrible catch all term for "Non-Goon LPers")still poo poo out content with little to no editing or thought, or just dump streams, yet they have legions of fans who will defend them to their deaths on Reddit and Twitter and so on. The big difference is that Phil is constantly abrasive in every way possible while the other people generally sound approachable and seem to acknowledge their audience is their source of income. Meanwhile Phil tells people in his comments they are retarded and they should never watch him again because they use adblock.

See, I'm not sure I agree that they do no editing or anything, at least nothing near DSP level of making GBS threads. Sure, it's not practiced with trial runs, or as well edited as the MGR LP, but that guy went to the effort of grabbing a chicken suit and setting up the tech stuff to record flappy bird decently. PDP does that subtitling stuff on horror games, and does stuff like blowing up his facecam to full screen when he makes a stupid face. He does stuff like stopping to actually look around a game and let stuff happen rather than the Phil "gently caress this, run past, ignore everything and swear at the game." There's a level of technical competence that exceeds putting a camera up in front of your tv for 8 hours and plugging it into youtube, and as someone who used to watch a lot of stuff like the Yogscast or Creatures, I've never seen them repeat the same thing for half an hour because they're literally a loving moron. I'm clicking around the most popular videos of those people, and at the very least they're definitely able to edit together compilations of the best bits (for varying definitions of best), and there's stuff like switching perspectives to pick out the least dull bits of minecraft videos and that sort of thing.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but there's a level of ability in terms of technical stuff and being okay at video games that's generally pretty common to most of the really big names, but obviously absent with Phil. I think of it like they're reality TV or something. Just because Keeping up with the Kardashians is about people I don't care about doesn't mean it's actually low quality. If Pewdiepie is filming a Kardashian arguing with her boyfriend, DSP is filming his mum deciding which brand of cornflakes to buy, with a cameraphone, and only managing to get a shot of her feet. There's some level of planning and preparation there, just not the kind we want.

Partly, I think it's a problem with the definition of an LP. At the top youtube levels, it's basically a comedy show using video games and personalities as vehicles and marketed to kids, although the comedy is of subjective quality. When we talk about LP here, we want a presentation of a game first and foremost, targeted at mature people who are interested in the game itself. I'd say they're pretty much two different genres just sharing a name, like comparing documentaries to sitcoms or something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

I don't know if I agree that's a terrible term. It actually does describe what it needs to pretty well.

There are good YouTube LPers out there, they're just hard to find because the market is really, really flooded.

Well, it's like when I'm playing a game with a bunch of Goons and someone on the other team calls us pubbies. For a minute you want to be like "no, I'm here with my internet friends, Mr. xXDarkShadowAssassin420Xx" and then you realize we're all pubbies. People here use YouTube for a video host nine times out of ten, what makes us non-YouTube LPers if the person watching has no idea what Something Awful is?

Maybe Low Effort LPers or Day One LPers? but the former can apply to some people here at times, the latter is a pretty broad group. It's like when you use a foreign word to describe a complex thought or emotion because your language doesn't have an equivalent.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

MooCowlian posted:

Has anyone managed to watch that 50 minutes 2014 HEY LOOK AT ME IM REALLY NOT THAT BAD video he did? Is he going to make any changes, or does he just reassure you he'll ignore the haters.

If I recall correctly, the changes that are to come in 2014 are that he's going to move out of his state, he's going to be doing a bunch of new video series that have nothing to do with games (can't imagine why), that his game content will, shock horror, not be as frequent as it usually is because of those previous two points, and that yes, he'll ignore the haters and the drama and let it just be about the games.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

Well, it's like when I'm playing a game with a bunch of Goons and someone on the other team calls us pubbies. For a minute you want to be like "no, I'm here with my internet friends, Mr. xXDarkShadowAssassin420Xx" and then you realize we're all pubbies. People here use YouTube for a video host nine times out of ten, what makes us non-YouTube LPers if the person watching has no idea what Something Awful is?

Well, terminology can also be more descriptive than accurate, and that doesn't mean it's wrong. You could say TBFP are YouTube LPers because they're Let's Players that put their stuff on YouTube, but I don't think people do that here. And honestly, the wheat/chaff ratio is so low on YouTube, I don't even think it's very inaccurate.

To me, "terrible" means the term is... I don't know. Grossly inaccurate or completely nonsensical? I think we have a handle on what is described by "YouTube LPer" and it doesn't seem to confuse people...

Is the problem that it implies we're better than the average person on YouTube and maybe unfairly groups others into that? I guess I'm not really seeing what's wrong with it.

Lazyfire posted:

It's like when you use a foreign word to describe a complex thought or emotion because your language doesn't have an equivalent.

Well, maybe I'm getting pedantic, but that actually is a thing. I get some schadenfreude when I point it out.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Well, maybe I'm getting pedantic, but that actually is a thing. I get some schadenfreude when I point it out.

Moé...

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

slowbeef posted:

Is the problem that it implies we're better than the average person on YouTube and maybe unfairly groups others into that? I guess I'm not really seeing what's wrong with it.

We're a subforum of a forum that costs money to access and we don't allow anything under the sun to be posted, nor will we universally praise an LP and an LPer just for existing; and a website whose name implies that it is the definitive place to find Let's Plays permanently archived (and it is, for the most part) is exclusively for SA threads. I don't think having a catch-all term for people outside SA who do LPs for a slightly different reason that we do LPs is going to make us seem any more high and mighty than we already come across just by carrying on as normal.

As for the term itself, I don't see what's wrong with it either. Just about everybody here knows what we mean when we say it, and those who don't can very easily infer that it means "LPers who aren't on SA" at the very least. If people are seeing/using that term as a way to impose superiority over the unwashed YouTube masses, that's more a problem of them needing to get over themselves.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 25, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

slowbeef posted:

"Let's Play" is something that we started here on SA. Adam Sessler made a video where he think everyone should abandon the name 'let's play' altogether (which I think is completely ridiculous.)

I'm not sure if I agree that it's completely ridiculous, though I don't think absolutely everyone should abandon the name either, because what you name something can influence how people perceive it in a way. Like, the one thing I've noticed is that Pewdiepie, for example, doesn't call any of his videos a "Let's Play" (or if he does, it's not immediately obvious) so that removes some expectations of what to expect.

The only thing really relevant to this that I can think of offhand is a video I found in maybe 2008/9ish - it was long, long before PDP, Tobuscus, DSP etc. were all names people in places like this would recognise at least - on Viddler where the person who did it called it a "Talkthrough" instead of an LP because he didn't want to be associated with this site. I doubt that I'll be able to find that particular one any more, but even though on a fundamental level its a similar concept (if we boil it down to the basics of a video of playing a game while talking about it in some way), a name change to something like that creates different expectations of what the video will contain and be about.

I guess the problem really is what to call things that don't really fit into either category neatly. I'm aware most just skirt the issue entirely by calling the stuff
"[name] Plays" instead, which works well enough for what it's used for I guess.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
DSP apparently doesn't understand twitch players pokemon

Which is technically an LP and is off-site, and its quite an interesting idea - especially when someone created "bitcoin plays pokemon and the guy didn't move for three days until it was shut off...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Dragonatrix posted:

Pewdiepie, for example, doesn't call any of his videos a "Let's Play"

No, he has quite a few called Let's Play (Heavy Rain, Bully, some others). Search "pewdiepie let's play" on YouTube. Keep in mind, videos can be tagged "lets play" so they come up in the search. Maybe you mean he stopped doing it recently?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Some people have tried to separate themselves from Let's Play, even back in the days when LP was still starting out.

TheGamingGoose called his, "Less Plays", because I guess he felt the people watching didn't have a part in it. I believe that was his reasoning.

Cloud8745 started calling his "Walkthroughs". Part of me felt that it was an attempt to seperate themselves from SA, perhaps? I'm really not sure.

In any case, it really changed nothing: People still referred to them as LPs. I don't think the name really means much of anything, it's just a way to classify what these kinds of videos are. You can name them whatever, and they'll still be called LPs by the majority of those who watch them.

As for "YouTube LPers", and what defines it anymore...it's not as easy as it used to be. Not only are more organizations posting more of their own videos on YouTube now, there's also, I feel, more people actually putting some level of effort into their LPs to make them more enjoyable for others to watch, as opposed to pointing a lopsided camcorder to a CRT television and spouting nonsense.

'Course, sometimes that...extra effort...is misplaced. I still can't decide if this is the most impressive thing I've ever seen, or the most horrifying. He...really wants to get into LPing, at the least!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

'Course, sometimes that...extra effort...is misplaced. I still can't decide if this is the most impressive thing I've ever seen, or the most horrifying. He...really wants to get into LPing, at the least!

That little kid knows more about uploading videos then I do...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

slowbeef posted:

No, he has quite a few called Let's Play (Heavy Rain, Bully, some others). Search "pewdiepie let's play" on YouTube. Keep in mind, videos can be tagged "lets play" so they come up in the search. Maybe you mean he stopped doing it recently?

I was mostly on about the video names, yeah, since that's the only thing that's actually visible now. Looking again, PDP definitely wasn't the best example because he's really, really inconsistent about what he calls stuff it seems.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

That little kid knows more about uploading videos then I do...

Hell, that kid knows more about gaming than I do. I don't even know how he did that so easily. I'm legitimately impressed.

I'm assuming he was playing that through his camcorder's viewfinder, but I'm not sure. Maybe he just memorized it.

Dragonatrix posted:

Looking again, PDP definitely wasn't the best example because he's really, really inconsistent about what he calls stuff it seems.

I used to think he had a formula, but no, it's completely random. Some are in all caps, some aren't...I guess he just types the first thing that comes to mind.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Is he playing that without even looking at the screen?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this a bit, but there's one issue in here that crops up from time to time: it's like, it's never okay to discuss LP.

We have to attach the same amount of shame to our interests as a stripper has to attach to their job when visiting the family at Thanksgiving.

We are nerds. We have spent all our lives being the outcasts, and taught that who we are and what we do is "wrong" and "not normal," so anytime we talk about anything we like, we feel the need to acknowledge that it's bad. We pre-empt the world and tell them that, yes, we know we suck and everything we like is stupid. You don't have to tell us that. You don't have to pick on us anymore; We are doing it ourselves.

Nevermind that the concept of a nerd and nerd interests is a bullshit relic. We all grew up in a time where if you liked fantasy or comic books or video games, you were stupid, so you feel the need to identify yourself as stupid now.

Meanwhile, everyone else wonders what the gently caress your problem is, then goes back to watching Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead and playing games on their phone.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

RSCNyx posted:

Oh man, this video. I love the text that says "leave a comment...even if it's a creepypasta." I love how he shows off some of the numbers in his phone. I love how he straight up just holds the phone to the camera. I love how his parents are just knockin' about like nothing's going on, and they kind of sound like they're in the same room. This kid is going places.

How the hell did you find this? This account is like, a day old. He has a video telling PewDiePie he likes his videos.

Oh, and slowbeef, looks like this kid's lookin' to give you a run for your money when it comes to creepypasta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrXzuXCbao

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I'm not an incensed old man yet, so I always consider Let's Play kids to be adorable.

Maybe not SammyClassicSonicFan. Even though he was alright with being retsupuraed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think that kid is adorable and I'm pretty sure that means I'm getting old :(

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

slowbeef posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this a bit, but there's one issue in here that crops up from time to time: it's like, it's never okay to discuss LP.

Every time I see someone being self-deprecating about LP or calling it a pseudo-hobby, all I hear is "Ew, cooties!" People seriously need to unclench. LPs are a transformative work, they're worth talking about, and a variety of skills can go into making them. Especially here, where putting in effort is so encouraged. Being afraid of talking about it isn't going to lead to a better understanding of it.

I think it's interesting how the LPer sort of controls how viewers experience any particular game. Parts of the audience are probably getting their first--or only experience of the game--through the LPer's lens. That's going to color their perception, even if they end up playing it themselves later on.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It's not a matter of self-deprecation, it's a matter of acceptance. LP'ing a game is roughly on the same level of "coolness" as D&D is to the general public. It's fine and pretty fun if you're in the loop but it's not something you would bring up at a social gathering if you don't want people to think you're a dweeb.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

It's not a matter of self-deprecation, it's a matter of acceptance. LP'ing a game is roughly on the same level of "coolness" as D&D is to the general public. It's fine and pretty fun if you're in the loop but it's not something you would bring up at a social gathering if you don't want people to think you're a dweeb.

That's exactly what self-deprecation is.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I get that LP's require some skill at editing and being funny and attracting an audience and I respect that. Really, I do! But when people say things like

How Ingratiating! posted:

LPs are a transformative work,

how do you not think that maybe you're taking this a little too seriously?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wait a minute...that's actually quite impressive. I assume he's playing by looking at the screen through a mirror, while holding the phone backwards.....that's.......well, quite impressive.

Livingtrope posted:

I think that kid is adorable and I'm pretty sure that means I'm getting old :(

I don't know if that should do it, or the fact that he can't be more than 6/7 and has a smart phone......Of course, I remember my parents having one of those 80's Brick Cell Phones, and I still use an old flip phone that was all the rage back in 2004. So yeah.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Livingtrope posted:

how do you not think that maybe you're taking this a little too seriously?

What. They literally are. A transformative work is taking something that already exists and repurposing it in some way, or putting it into a different mode of expression. Among others, this includes fanfiction, fanart, and fan videos. LP falls strongly into the third category, and examples of the other two are all over the place here. Those few really great narrative LPs are fanfiction. Fanfiction you liked.

I'm not gonna self-flagellate with y'all on this.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Mr DJB posted:

I'm not an incensed old man yet, so I always consider Let's Play kids to be adorable.

Maybe not SammyClassicSonicFan. Even though he was alright with being retsupuraed.

I certainly gave that kid a Like on his video, due to how he played the game. Yeah, SuccinctAndPunchy, he was playing that without directly looking at the screen.

SammyClassicSonicFan, on the other hand...that's a character. He's a kid, but man, does he have a mean streak, as this video demonstrates. Happy he took the RP okay, though!

heytallman posted:

How the hell did you find this? This account is like, a day old. He has a video telling PewDiePie he likes his videos.

I just look up LPs on YouTube, organized by their upload date. Just so happened that one caught my eye, for obvious reasons!

More on-topic, I wouldn't go so far as to say LPs are transformative. I just think it's fun to do. Granted, I wouldn't ever compare LPs to fan-stuff, even though there are a few that really blur that line.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 26, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BMS posted:

I don't know if that should do it, or the fact that he can't be more than 6/7 and has a smart phone......Of course, I remember my parents having one of those 80's Brick Cell Phones, and I still use an old flip phone that was all the rage back in 2004. So yeah.

Oh I meant old as in...trying to explain is gonna be hard. Like old as in when I was younger I would have thought he was being dumb and would have been all like heh stupid kid but now it's like hey that kid filmed himself, edited it, and just put it up on the internet and that's pretty cool considering how young he is. Um, I know that doesn't really make any sense but it is what it is.

What. They literally are. A transformative work is taking something that already exists and repurposing it in some way, or putting it into a different mode of expression. Among others, this includes fanfiction, fanart, and fan videos. LP falls strongly into the third category, and examples of the other two are all over the place here. Those few really great narrative LPs are fanfiction. Fanfiction you liked.

I'm not gonna self-flagellate with y'all on this.

LP is kind of a causal thing to me and using the words transformative work to describe it just seems so un-casual. Even if it's literally correct, it just doesn't seem like a fun way of thinking about them. That's what I mean by too serious.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

I think it's more of a they're not all from youtube kind of thing, though I'm not sure where else you would find LPs other then youtube and SA.

There is a website called rpgcodex that does mostly sslps. I only go look every once in a while because there is a guy doing a Baldur's gate solo insane run.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Roar posted:

I feel a little bit sorry for anyone who is so ashamed of a hobby or entertainment they enjoy. I mean assuming we're all adults it isn't like we're going to be beaten up for admitting that we like to play/watch video games on the Internet.

And even if you do feel the need to hide it, that shouldn't carry over to being bashful about talking about it here.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Livingtrope posted:

LP is kind of a causal thing to me and using the words transformative work to describe it just seems so un-casual. Even if it's literally correct, it just doesn't seem like a fun way of thinking about them. That's what I mean by too serious.

I feel the opposite way. I think it's fun to view them as transformative works, and consider what they have in common with others, because it's a hell of a fresher take than "gross icky nerd thing I am way too cool for." It's hard to put actual effort into making something and not take it seriously. Too much forced distance, and your work starts to suffer.

unfair posted:

I feel a little bit sorry for anyone who is so ashamed of a hobby or entertainment they enjoy. I mean assuming we're all adults it isn't like we're going to be beaten up for admitting that we like to play/watch video games on the Internet.

And even if you do feel the need to hide it, that shouldn't carry over to being bashful about talking about it here.

Embarrassment is contagious, even if there's nothing to be embarrassed over.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

It's hard to put actual effort into making something and not take it seriously. Too much forced distance, and your work starts to suffer.

In my own personal opinion (backed by years of experience in being a human being), it's very very difficult to take something too seriously, and the only way to do so is to take it more seriously than something more important, which probably just means you're not taking the other thing seriously enough.

On the other hand, something that's very easy to do and looks to many people like taking something too seriously is not enjoying it enough. The thing is, enjoying something and taking it seriously are not mutually exclusive, as evidenced by professional sports players, Olympians, artists and the like. Not that LP is enjoyed nearly as much or taken nearly as seriously as any of those things, but the same principle applies: You put a little effort in, you get a little enjoyment out. You put more effort in, you get more enjoyment out (subject possibly to diminishing returns at the far end). It's the same with any hobby (or pseudohobby or pastime or whatever). People like making neat things, especially when other people also like them, and I think that's good.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

RSCNyx posted:

I can't tell if that's a real Sega published game or something from Lowtax's gamemaker thread.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

slowbeef posted:

DO NOT TAKE LET'S PLAY VERY SERIOUSLY.
It won't make you rich or famous or popular to members of your preferred sexual orientation or gender. Your reputation here, good or bad, does not translate to the real world. You should be here because you have a funny, silly, or just plain good idea you want to try out or even just because you want to show people a cool game they missed.

No one should care about things like being the second person to LP a game, no one should get disappointed because their first attempt wasn't very good, no one should miss a class lecture because they were grabbing screenshots of Grandia or something.

Seriously, most of the poo poo I have to handle in here could probably be resolved with, "Is this really adversely affecting your life?" Just chill, it's only the Internet.

I think the problem is that people extrapolated from this the notion that you can't treat Let's Play as anything but a stupid little hobby that exists on the Internet.

The way I always read that, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, slowbeef, was that you shouldn't focus on Let's Play to the detriment of your life. The rules were written before people making livings from Let's Play was really heard of, so of course it would be ridiculous to treat it like it's your job or like it is any more beneficial to your life than any other hobby. That doesn't mean you can't take the act of creating a Let's Play seriously (putting effort into updates and so on), or feel proud of the content that you and others create.

I think a better thing to say is "Don't obsess over Let's Play." You can take something seriously without thinking it has an adverse effect on your life, and we prove this on SA by having quality standards and the sandcastle. Most people here are serious about Let's Play, that's why bad LPs don't typically last, so there's no point in telling people not to take Let's Play at all seriously. We can't have it both ways.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Slowbeef, can you link to your Dark Souls LP?

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Turtlicious posted:

Hey Slowbeef, can you link to your Dark Souls LP?

Looks like someone stuck all the ones up so far into a playlist. Here you go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing about "don't take [HOBBY] too seriously, it's all just dumb and pointless" is you can say that about any hobby. And it's good to maintain a sense of perspective about, well, everything really. As someone who mainly posts in Traditional Games let me tell you there are plenty of people who take pretending to be an elf with funny dice way, way too loving seriously. Go read the grognards.txt thread and you'll find plenty of examples of people having conniption fits over rules that let characters to paltry damage on a missed attack or why magic has to be just so.

But the thing is, if you just constantly go "this is dumb and stupid and meaningless, stop caring about it" then that sort of undermines that there are quality games and quality people playing and running them, and that quality is the result of people actually caring about the "dumb hobby." To bring this around to LPs, if Let's Play was just a dumb hobby that nobody should care about then 3/4ths of the LPs here wouldn't ever get made. No Chip & Ironicus running through Revengeance, no Geop doing Assassin's Creed, no Slowbeef doing Policenauts, none of that.

And sure, it's not like we're talking about the cure for cancer here, but if you like any of this stuff then you can't get too far up your rear end with self-deprication over it because A). it's not a contest to prove who's the most above it all and B). anything good that comes out of a hobby probably comes from people treating it as more than a dumb, pointless endeavor.

re: YouTube LPers, it's hard to say what constitutes a passing fad and what constitutes a thing that'll actually make a lingering impact on pop culture without the benefit of hindsight. You can brush PewDiePie off as "irrelevant," but millions upon millions of people have been jockeying for years to be where he's at on top of Mount YouTube and somehow he got there by recording himself playing video games and talking over it. Video game companies, which are very much a big and important thing, seem to acknowledge that LPs have some sort of impact and at least some of them are trying to reach out to various LPers and/or monetize Let's Plays. I don't think it's reaching to say that LPs are at least a bit more than just some tiny thing in an obscure corner of the internet by this point.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
My two cents: a lot of my friends and family know about my LP videos. Hell, I even did some donation streams a while ago to help raise money for a friend's educational theatre company. And since I don't let myself get too worked up about LP, or big it up as a super important thing, I don't really feel embarrassed about it.

Granted I still poke fun at myself for doing it on occasion, but those are just brief moments of self-awareness to stop myself getting obsessed. It is by no means a weak-rear end attempt at trying to make myself seem cooler, because I'm not an insecure 14 year old.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The discussion of LPs can indeed be applied to any hobby.

So let's assume Jeremiah Kitemaker makes a fantastic kite to show his kite enthusiasts. It's arguably the best kite ever made and everyone enjoys it.

Then one day, Andrew Kitesmith makes a kite that is considerably lower in quality. When he shows his kite to the kite enthusiasts, they get super mad because his kite isn't nearly as nice to look at as Jeremiah's. They actually argue and discuss the reasons as to why you shouldn't make 'ugly' kites. Andrew actually starts to feel bad about his kite; he just wanted people to see it and enjoy it with him.

Jock Jockson wanders by, hears the debate about kites and says "um you know they're just kites, right? maybe you should stop taking them so seriously"

Replace kites with LPs or pretty much any other hobby and you have the issue at hand. Everyone in this forum (for the most part, anyways) is going to enjoy LPing to some degree or we wouldn't post here. Some of us, though, think that arguing about bigbongblow420 on youtube's minecraft LP or about the inclusions of scarecams in the Sandcastle thread is pretty silly. At the end of the day, we're all making videos of video game gameplay. Just because not everyone really reaches for the level of quality ugh i can't finish this sentence because it sounds so goony jesus

DSP is a different matter entirely because he's an awful human being, it has nothing to do with his actual Let's Plays (which I am otherwise indifferent to)

Basically tl;dr arguing about LPs is pretty silly because the content matter is pretty dumb at the end of the day, this is just supposed to be having fun and showing games to people. god this is a lot of words

kites

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Roar posted:

DSP is a different matter entirely because he's an awful human being, it has nothing to do with his actual Let's Plays (which I am otherwise indifferent to)

This doesn't jive with the rest of your post though. "Well it's okay to argue about this dude doing this dumb, silly thing that no one should take seriously because [JUSTIFICATION]." DSP's an also-ran even among lovely YouTube LPers, how's it somehow different to spend effort arguing about him over someone else again?

Seriously, either Let's Play is silly and dumb and not worth arguing over or it is, if it's not then neither is DSP no matter how terrible a human being you somehow suspect him to be based on recordings of him (not) playing video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

The discussion of LPs can indeed be applied to any hobby.

So let's assume Jeremiah Kitemaker makes a fantastic kite to show his kite enthusiasts. It's arguably the best kite ever made and everyone enjoys it.

Then one day, Andrew Kitesmith makes a kite that is considerably lower in quality. When he shows his kite to the kite enthusiasts, they get super mad because his kite isn't nearly as nice to look at as Jeremiah's. They actually argue and discuss the reasons as to why you shouldn't make 'ugly' kites. Andrew actually starts to feel bad about his kite; he just wanted people to see it and enjoy it with him.

Jock Jockson wanders by, hears the debate about kites and says "um you know they're just kites, right? maybe you should stop taking them so seriously"

Replace kites with LPs or pretty much any other hobby and you have the issue at hand. Everyone in this forum (for the most part, anyways) is going to enjoy LPing to some degree or we wouldn't post here. Some of us, though, think that arguing about bigbongblow420 on youtube's minecraft LP or about the inclusions of scarecams in the Sandcastle thread is pretty silly. At the end of the day, we're all making videos of video game gameplay. Just because not everyone really reaches for the level of quality ugh i can't finish this sentence because it sounds so goony jesus

Basically tl;dr arguing about LPs is pretty silly because the content matter is pretty dumb at the end of the day, this is just supposed to be having fun and showing games to people. god this is a lot of words

kites

This is less words than I was going to write to say "don't write so many words about LPs". So thanks.

• Locked thread