Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

prefect posted:

Holy cow I'm getting the strongest deja vu. I must have read that comic in a doctor's waiting room as a kid; it's too familiar. :staredog:

edit: I'm pretty sure I remember Action Comics NO. 481 -- the cover is etched into my memories.

:allears:

:haw::hf::haw:

As soon as I saw that thing he was looking through I had an instant flashback. You must be old enough to remember the DC "Dollar Comics" too.

Maybe this is the right place to ask. Last time I posted about this no one could figure it out. In the 1960s or early 1970s there was a one-shot Superman villain who had a machine that could drain Superman's powers and transfer them to himself. It was a chair of some sort and he could choose how powerful to set the drain. I think the chair had a nasty looking helmet with crystalline lenses for the eyes. Eventually he wigs out and turns it to the max, but the influx of Superman's full powers almost destroyed him.

I think he had some sort of Roman motif, like calling himself Caesar. I can remember him testing his powers by crushing coal into diamonds.

Been trying to figure this one out for ages. The last time I saw the comic was probably in the 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mister Roboto posted:

The collective power of America, which includes Jesus and Apple Pie.

Glenn Beck?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WickedHate posted:

Who nationally guards the National Guards?

I live in a city with a large National Guard camp. The answer to this is "private security," AKA: mall cops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe this is the right place to ask. Last time I posted about this no one could figure it out. In the 1960s or early 1970s there was a one-shot Superman villain who had a machine that could drain Superman's powers and transfer them to himself. It was a chair of some sort and he could choose how powerful to set the drain. I think the chair had a nasty looking helmet with crystalline lenses for the eyes. Eventually he wigs out and turns it to the max, but the influx of Superman's full powers almost destroyed him.

I think he had some sort of Roman motif, like calling himself Caesar. I can remember him testing his powers by crushing coal into diamonds.

Been trying to figure this one out for ages. The last time I saw the comic was probably in the 1970s.
I just loving love detectiving this poo poo because it's always somewhere.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So meanwhile in the Badass thread, they were talking about X-Factor 87, as it's the issue that has Quicksilver giving his monologue about how painful life is for him because everything is irritating. I found that I had that issue, and was flipping through it, and showing it to my roommate. She asked about the advertisements from back then, and...

Advertisements were just different back then. :allears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I just loving love detectiving this poo poo because it's always somewhere.

You are a superstar! The helmet must've been another issue but I'm not disappointed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think your memory is fine. I didn't include this image (as it's not as funny as the others), which suggests some kind of helmet/lenses setup being the mode of stealing his powers as Superman is so completely guileless you don't really need any plan beyond "here, put this poo poo on".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

IUG posted:

So meanwhile in the Badass thread, they were talking about X-Factor 87, as it's the issue that has Quicksilver giving his monologue about how painful life is for him because everything is irritating. I found that I had that issue, and was flipping through it, and showing it to my roommate. She asked about the advertisements from back then, and...

Advertisements were just different back then. :allears:

Rulk's first adventures didn't get past the CCA, huh? :gonk:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I think your memory is fine. I didn't include this image (as it's not as funny as the others), which suggests some kind of helmet/lenses setup being the mode of stealing his powers as Superman is so completely guileless you don't really need any plan beyond "here, put this poo poo on".

Technically you've solved two mysteries for me then! I remember now that when he uses his x-ray vision the helmet zaps him somehow and then they can strap him into the chair.

For a crappy story it sure stayed with me all these years.

As a reward I give you a cover from one of my favorite comics back then, G.I. Combat. It wasn't enough that the crew of a Sherman tank is watched over by the ghost of a Confederate general, they also needed to be parachuted into a volcano accompanied by a Nazi spy disguised as a hot nurse, and attacked by a goddamn dinosaur.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Dick Trauma posted:

As a reward I give you a cover from one of my favorite comics back then, G.I. Combat. It wasn't enough that the crew of a Sherman tank is watched over by the ghost of a Confederate general, they also needed to be parachuted into a volcano accompanied by a Nazi spy disguised as a hot nurse, and attacked by a goddamn dinosaur.

Did the Confederate general complain all the time about his brand of tank being named after a Union Army war criminal?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

Did the Confederate general complain all the time about his brand of tank being named after a Union Army war criminal?

Different stories. The Haunted Tank was an M3 Stuart, possessed by J.E.B. Stuart. There was a Vertigo mini-series a few years ago where Stuart possessed an M1 Abrams commanded by a black sergeant during Operation Iraqi Freedom with all the awkwardness you would expect.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The M3 was their first haunted tank. They moved on to an M4 afterward, ghost and all.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

From JL8 (Formerly Little League)

:laffo: at Bruce's 'smile'

:haw:

This is loving adorable. All wee Bruce needs to do to get a confession is just smile at the criminal.

I'd hope this got a callback in DC with the Justice League when they had that crossover with the cartoon mini versions (and lego Red Tornado!) but I kinda doubt that's gonna happen in the nu52 :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd hope this got a callback in DC with the Justice League when they had that crossover with the cartoon mini versions (and lego Red Tornado!) but I kinda doubt that's gonna happen in the nu52 :(

This is a fan comic, and a fairly recent one. DC is tolerating it for now, but they'd never acknowledge it except very obtusely, for legal reasons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JL8 has so many great :3: bits; J'onn's suit, Karen and Diana being BFFs, Barry being a total spaz, and of course Lil' Booster.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Evil Mastermind posted:

JL8 has so many great :3: bits; J'onn's suit, Karen and Diana being BFFs, Barry being a total spaz, and of course Lil' Booster.

I love that Ted's already at the horizon by the time Booster turns around.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Welp, I'm sold. Is this available on Comixology?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Keru posted:

I love that Ted's already at the horizon by the time Booster turns around.

Well, there's probably some concern about li'l Max Lord.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Sockser posted:

Even better: http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lil J'onn is the best

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sockser posted:

I just said it's a fan comic. <:mad:>

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sockser posted:

http://limbero.org/jl8/1

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cangelosi posted:

Perhaps the greatest picture taken out of context EVER.

(Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall)

Man, they somehow made Watership Down more hardcore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Lil J'onn is the best

And the followup:

Oh christ, this comic:

Sidenote: I always thought Batman looked really *happy* in that cover art. :v:

The full scene: https://www.superherostuff.com/blog/superherostuff/memorable-superhero-moments-wonder-womans-boot-on-batmans-head/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 26, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And the followup:

The real followup:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

The real followup:

I like the resolution more.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
These are really great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's also a really touching one in the midst of the goofiness where Bruce and Clark walk home and Bruce has to walk on alone while Clark gleefully greets his loving adopted parents. He goes home to his giant, empty mansion and sits alone watching television... until Alfred shows up with treats and sits down and watches the show with him :shobon:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Personally I thought the riff on Injustice was great and very appropriate.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

AnonSpore posted:

What riff? I must have missed it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

It was actually a riff on the new 52 tho.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that I got.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Throwdown posted:

What riff? I must have missed it.

Batman gets upset that a newspaper refers to them as kids, so he, Clark and Hal design new outfits that make them "mature". Barry gets all excited and decides to join in by drawing lines all over his costume in marker, and J'onn asks Diana if a new suit is a sign of maturity on Earth, and she says,"No, boys here are just stupid."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It was? I thought Flash and Supes' weird segmented armor-y costumes were an Injustice thing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

AnonSpore posted:

It was? I thought Flash and Supes' weird segmented armor-y costumes were an Injustice thing.

I'm so sorry you had to find out like this :ohdear:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I love how his cape originates directly from beneath his clavicles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Nope. And as for the "Batman tries to be hardcore" aspect of that story, while the Injustice game's story is pretty terrible, the point of it and the comic is kind of supposed to be that grimmer and grittier heroes are something no one should want. Whereas the new 52, especially the Justice League book, has turned many of the heroes and villains into angry, edgy parodies of what they used to be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Someone read Kingdom Come and thought "Holy poo poo, Magog is awesome! Superman should be more like him!".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Someone read Kingdom Come and thought "Holy poo poo, Magog is awesome! Superman should be more like him!".
Magog's design combined all the worst aspects of 90s EXTREME comic art.
So it's not surprising he ended up looking exactly like Cable with a helmet.

Could have used a few more leg pouches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Holy gently caress. I'm not normally one to comment, but that is so 90's it shits moon shoes.

What could have possibly been going through their heads?!

• Locked thread