Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I feel like microwaving potatoes and ketchup for an hour would produce something more suited to removing Huns from your castle walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pretty sure using a microwave for 55 minutes would signal to aliens that we are technologically advanced enough for intergalactic war.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The heat and built up steam pressure would carbonize and then turn to diamond the original 'food'.

You could then sell the potato diamonds for real food.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
That sound somehow worse than the college soup my father told me about made from stolen fast-food ketchup packets and hot water.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tweek posted:

That sound somehow worse than the college soup my father told me about made from stolen fast-food ketchup packets and hot water.

I think every father and grand father and uncle and friends father and grand father and uncle has told this story.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Casu Marzu posted:

I think every father and grand father and uncle and friends father and grand father and uncle has told this story.

Culinary 15 miles in the snow uphill?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tweek posted:

Culinary 15 miles in the snow uphill?

Barefoot and uphill both ways :p

My grandad used to add in about how he also had to go home at lunch to feed/water the cows AND clean the horse stalls...and had to make it back before class started up again.

I miss his stories about how hard it was back in the day :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eat This Glob posted:

My wife's an EMT and a former vet tech. I don't know if that's medical enough for your class' needs. She's got clinicals for her advanced EMT cert tomorrow (she is a certified EMT already), but I'm sure she could talk to you on Sunday or something if that works for you.

Yes, please. That'd be perfect. <3

Featured Creature posted:

Would medical researchers count? My brother and sister-in-law have PHDs in biochemistry and molecular biology, respectively. They both have done cancer research (SIL still is), and she has been all over the world to run medical workshops for post doc research. They are moving to Germany in the next few weeks, so I don't know if they will have the time but if you can use them it can't hurt to ask.

Yes, for sure. Yes yes yes. :)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Disco Salmon posted:

...and we didn't even have feet! We had wheels! And we didn't complain or we'd get a whoopin'

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Disco Salmon posted:

And you had to walk across razorblades on the road, and then through the salty lemon water marsh, and make sure not to drip any blood on the welcome mat or else that's a paddlin'.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgiEloRnTg

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 22, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, today I split a tooth in half while eating some goat curry.

It was the tiniest sliver of bone, too. I had put some meat on a piece of naan, and I had squeezed each piece carefully to check for bones, but obviously I missed a piece. Every time I've ever accidentally bitten down on bone it felt like my tooth had shattered, so this time when it actually happened, I didn't really believe it... until I found the huge chunk of tooth on my plate.

I was with GoWithChrist, and she started totally freaking out. Apparently, she has nightmares about teeth breaking all the time? She was also upset that I nooged the owner for a free meal.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

It was the tiniest sliver of bone, too. I had put some meat on a piece of naan, and I had squeezed each piece carefully to check for bones, but obviously I missed a piece. Every time I've ever accidentally bitten down on bone it felt like my tooth had shattered, so this time when it actually happened, I didn't really believe it... until I found the huge chunk of tooth on my plate.

I was with GoWithChrist, and she started totally freaking out. Apparently, she has nightmares about teeth breaking all the time? She was also upset that I nooged the owner for a free meal.

jesus christ what is your mouth jane fonda or something?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Squashy Nipples posted:

She was also upset that I nooged the owner for a free meal.
That is kinda lame. It's goat curry, what are they supposed to do, it always has bones in it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No Wave posted:

That is kinda lame. It's goat curry, what are they supposed to do, it always has bones in it.

Well, first of all, I've never asked for a free meal in my life, so it's not like something I regularly do. The owner was paranoid that I was going to sue him, so in my mind I was setting him at ease. I said to him "I really like your restaurant, and I'm going to keep eating here, but could you please comp this meal?", and that seemed like a great relief to him.

Hell, I'll give them a free plug here, because I think they have some of the best Indian food in the entire Boston area (no mean feat):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sher-a-punjab-quincy

mindphlux posted:

jesus christ what is your mouth jane fonda or something?

Ok, really struggling to get the reference here....

My mouth looks good riding a tank?
Vietnam Vets are still upset with my mouth 40 years later?
My mouth married Ted Turner?
My mouth was briefly a exercise guru in the 1980s?
People forget that my mouth was an actress once?
My mouth looks terrible with short hair?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Their food injured someone. Since that's not exactly the desired outcome of eating at their restaurant, a free meal is kind of a no-brainer from a customer service standpoint.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

People forget that my mouth was an actress once?

Your mouth was made of fragile porcelain in 1973.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've never had so much as a cavity, but when I was 20 I ate a Cadbury mini egg and it completely shattered one of my molars, which then had to be removed.

That was kind of terrifying/unexpected.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've never had so much as a cavity, but when I was 20 I ate a Cadbury mini egg and it completely shattered one of my molars, which then had to be removed.

That was kind of terrifying/unexpected.

That IS terrifying... I love crunching on those things!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

When I was in New England this fall, I was chewing a piece of gum after eating a shitload of roasted garlic and buffalo mozzarella on a burger at one of my favorite places to eat when I'm back home. Damned filling came out and I crunched down on it. That poo poo sucked. I had to pack the hole with some temporary filling stuff I got at CVS and had to wait like five days til I could get back to my dentist back in Iowa to get it fixed. I was stuck chewing with one side for the better part of a week, including at a wedding. Pretty lovely.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Duck heart is best snack.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Roast duck heart is good, chicken tartare is better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, first of all, I've never asked for a free meal in my life, so it's not like something I regularly do. The owner was paranoid that I was going to sue him, so in my mind I was setting him at ease. I said to him "I really like your restaurant, and I'm going to keep eating here, but could you please comp this meal?", and that seemed like a great relief to him.

Hell, I'll give them a free plug here, because I think they have some of the best Indian food in the entire Boston area (no mean feat):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sher-a-punjab-quincy

I apologize if this was some other goon, but is this the same place where the "Great Food" had metal shavings/iron filings/a big loving bolt or other piece of hardware in it?

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

dino. posted:

Yes, please. That'd be perfect. <3

Yes, for sure. Yes yes yes. :)

I had the time frame wrong and they are already on a plane for Germany. So sorry :(

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

CzarChasm posted:

I apologize if this was some other goon, but is this the same place where the "Great Food" had metal shavings/iron filings/a big loving bolt or other piece of hardware in it?

I think I was the goon you're referring to, so not the same place. My office moved recently so we have a new Indian spot that's not as tasty, but also no metal so far.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am in Miami for the next week or so. My hotel is right by the Rickenbacker Causeway and is seemingly devoid of restaurants. There is a little entertainment district like a mile away but it seems to be high end sitdown places or random chains. If anyone knows of anything causal and interesting around here I would love you forever.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bunnielab posted:

I am in Miami for the next week or so. My hotel is right by the Rickenbacker Causeway and is seemingly devoid of restaurants. There is a little entertainment district like a mile away but it seems to be high end sitdown places or random chains. If anyone knows of anything causal and interesting around here I would love you forever.

Mango

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Two weeks of just mangos is gonna give me a bad case of the runs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

Two weeks of just mangos is gonna give me a bad case of the runs.

Duh it's a detox diet

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

bunnielab posted:

10: Goto Broken Shaker
20: Order something with Mezcal from the menu
30: Ask bartender where to eat
40: Profit

Seriously, maybe it's because I'm in the business, but if I don't have friends to recommend places in new towns, I find a bartender in a bar or restaurant that carries interesting tasting things, then explain that I'm after the good poo poo. Generally speaking, we're happy (thrilled, even) to oblige. Ordering mezcal communicates that you're interested in bold flavors and not just hamburgers. Also you get to drink mezcal, which is awesome.

And the Broken Shaker rules.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vegetable Melange posted:

Seriously, maybe it's because I'm in the business, but if I don't have friends to recommend places in new towns, I find a bartender in a bar or restaurant that carries interesting tasting things, then explain that I'm after the good poo poo. Generally speaking, we're happy (thrilled, even) to oblige. Ordering mezcal communicates that you're interested in bold flavors and not just hamburgers. Also you get to drink mezcal, which is awesome.

wow this is actually some pretty good advice

I don't know anything about Miami, but

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

Yeah, that place is on my list to check out, but gently caress driving in this city. It is like rush hour always and everywhere here. I have found a bunch of good places, but what I really want is hole in the wall places I can walk too. I have been asking everyone I meet but I am getting the feeling my hotel is in a wasteland. My poor little per diem is getting murdered down here eating most my meals on the key.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just saw an advert for some Birds Eye vegetables.

Prechopped fajita mix.

How loving lazy do you have to be not to be able to chop up a pepper and an onion.

I mean, Jesus loving Christ, that takes two or three minutes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You also have to have fresh peppers and onions on hand. I would guess that their target audience has more trouble with that than cutting things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wake me when birds Eye comes out with prepeeled potatoes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wake me when birds Eye comes out with prepeeled potatoes.

Asda already sell those.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well that's $19.99 I wasted on tatermits, then.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Well, you couldn't be expected to peel 3 potatoes on your own. That would take AGES!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

EVG posted:

Well, you couldn't be expected to peel 3 potatoes on your own. That would take AGES!

only peasants peel potatoes :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
The best mashed potatoes leave the skin in. I score the potato skin like a checkerboard before I boil them so it breaks up easier when mashing.