Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Aye. I want to route all the loop traffic through functional junctions:

code:
 ____    /-----\                  /----\
/    \  /kitchen\   /shuttle\    /.crew.\
botany === BAR ==== ARRIVALS ==== CHAPEL|
\..../    \| |/     \podbay/      \| |/
           | |                     | |
           {##}                   {##} 
   _____   | |    ____        _____| | ____
  /mframe\ /  \  /brig\     / gen.\| |/jan.\
  |bridge =COURT==sec  |    |ENGINE= =dispo.|
  \  ai /  \  /	\morgue/    \ fire/   \ware./
           | |                     | |
           {##}                   {##} 
 ______    | |       |mining|      | |
/      \  /| |\  /robo|^^^|elec\  /| |\
science===LOBBY======ESCAPE====== LOBBY|
\______/ \medbay/   |shuttle|    \.qm../
          \----/                  \---/
vvv: somewhere on the north end, only major areas are laid out on this right now

I like that you have to open the airbridges to get the pods out. Maybe you could make it so that pods can open the airbridges to get out, and there's a short alarm(that people will ignore) before shutting the airlocks and opening up?

Potential for accidental spacing sounds like it would make for even more fun workplace accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

hackbunny posted:

I loved the detailed high energy physics lab proposal someone posted a way back, and I'm sad it was barely acknowledged

QP Evergrande posted that, didn't he? I saved a copy of that post locally, it hasn't been forgotten. Not sure if any other coders were interested in it or not. Laser-based research has been half-attempted a few times by various coders, some old assets are probably kicking around.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The particle physics lab concept was me (QP). I never really expected it to go anywhere, too much coding. Not to mention how friggin enormous the required facilities were. The thing I'm most looking forward to is the return of Pathology. Also this, in the new station:

Well... That concept is a little outdated now, with all the changes that were made to Mechanics.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

QP Evergrande posted that, didn't he? I saved a copy of that post locally, it hasn't been forgotten. Not sure if any other coders were interested in it or not. Laser-based research has been half-attempted a few times by various coders, some old assets are probably kicking around.

As long as it's named the Hard-on Partical Ejection Nano Inquiry Station, i support this idea.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

frodnonnag posted:

As long as it's named the Hard-on Partical Ejection Nano Inquiry Station, i support this idea.

Yes, Hard-on PENIS is loving hilarious. :rolleyes:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Furthermore, *fart

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm more concerned with what happens if you push people into different flavors of energized particle beams.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Someone shot me twice with a derringer, not point blank, when I was at full health and I instantly died without even going into crit :psyduck: how long have derringers been that good?

edit: and Humble Bee is back and immediately back on his autistic obsession with the imaginary racism of the name Spigot

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 26, 2014

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I think the thing with derringers is that they can't be reloaded. So you basically get one super stylin' kill and you're back to having to kill people with fire extinguishers like a common assistant. I could very well be wrong though.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Admiral Funk posted:

I think the thing with derringers is that they can't be reloaded. So you basically get one super stylin' kill and you're back to having to kill people with fire extinguishers like a common assistant. I could very well be wrong though.

Unless you have multiple and thus catch witnesses off guard

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Someone shot me twice with a derringer, not point blank, when I was at full health and I instantly died without even going into crit :psyduck: how long have derringers been that good?

edit: and Humble Bee is back and immediately back on his autistic obsession with the imaginary racism of the name Spigot

Months now. I tweaked derringers months ago to do about 3x more damage than they used to, they do 125 damage up close but have very rapid falloff, being almost worthless if you fire across a room. Emptying two shots into someone will ruin their day, and with the ctrl-w *wink hotkey I added awhile ago, you can pull a derringer even more easily. I suppose realistically a low-velocity old fuckin' derringer load like the .41-100 wouldn't do more damage than a drat 12ga shotgun blast, but whatevs.

Since I've hosed around with projectile rebalancing a whole lot over the last six months or so, mostly in quiet, would it be useful to share a table of current projectile attributes?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Months now. I tweaked derringers months ago to do about 3x more damage than they used to, they do 125 damage up close but have very rapid falloff, being almost worthless if you fire across a room. Emptying two shots into someone will ruin their day, and with the ctrl-w *wink hotkey I added awhile ago, you can pull a derringer even more easily. I suppose realistically a low-velocity old fuckin' derringer load like the .41-100 wouldn't do more damage than a drat 12ga shotgun blast, but whatevs.

Right but realistically a shotgun blast to the chest from point-blank would reduce at least one very important organ to fine paste instead of doing like 80 damage(which is in the "that really hurt but honestly I'm probably gonna be fine if I have a medkit" range).

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Since I've hosed around with projectile rebalancing a whole lot over the last six months or so, mostly in quiet, would it be useful to share a table of current projectile attributes?

Of course- please do.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Crossposting from an enlightening thread in GBS:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

'In the microgravity environment of space, it is apparently possible to move oneself around by farting. For this and other reasons, the toilet on space station Mir had restraining devices. "The restraining devices also serve to keep the user from being thrust away from the toilet seat when what could tactfully be described as digestive gas thrusters are fired"' [Linenger, p. 59].

I believe a certain feature is due to be restored to its former glory.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Odobenidae posted:

I believe a certain feature is due to be restored to its former glory.

I can't believe it was ever removed. What was the reasoning behind it?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Solvency posted:

Because everyone could save themselves from space-death by farting their way back to the station and it was super dumb.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That's a stupid argument because people can save themselves from space-death by throwing pens and shoes, which is equally dumb, but doesn't get removed because being instantly and inescapably dead the instant you slip out an airlock is more dumb by virtue of being completely unfun.

Solvency posted:

It made jetpacks and extinguisher propulsion more or less moot; a space suit and internals would allow any sufficiently attentive and determined greysuit to get essentially anywhere in the universe. I don't see that as a problem, personally, since a sufficiently attentive and determined greysuit can very easily beg, barter, or steal another means of propulsion, getting the same effect in a much less entertaining package.

One of my favourite memories from this game is visiting Jurassic Station, being chased by a man-eating plant, getting knocked down by it in space, dropping my welder, and narrowly managing to escape alive by hammering out a machine-gun-like staccato of terror farts that propelled my insensate form into the void before the plant could devour me. Via farts, I ended up returning, recovering my welder, and defeating the thing in perhaps the single funniest player-vs-critter battle I've ever seen apart from the Hero Monkey fiasco.

Bring back fart propulsion.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Motherfucker posted:

Because everyone could save themselves from space-death by farting their way back to the station and it was super dumb the best thing ever.

Jesus, it's like you suck the oxygen out of the room!

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
If it's a balance thing, why not have it be linked to a genetics mutation or something?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Or bean foods.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013
Just make farts not work, or knock yourself out when you're in a spacesuit. You are, after all, in a sealed suit that doesn't let gas out.

This means that changelings can navigate in space by farting though. And spacewalking chemical mixes becomes a whole lot better.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I've been a mildly vocal proponent of at least having a red text message like "OH GOD, that was a horrible idea!" when you fart in a spacesuit.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

NullDragon posted:

Just make farts not work, or knock yourself out when you're in a spacesuit. You are, after all, in a sealed suit that doesn't let gas out.

This means that changelings can navigate in space by farting though. And spacewalking chemical mixes becomes a whole lot better.

THIS is a good idea.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
As it stands, almost every person on the station spawns with hundreds of space bucks in a tight wad inside their pocket. You can pull off individual dollars and hurl them for an extremely long period of sustained space propulsion without needing a jetpack.

I am 110% for bringing back fart-based propulsion. I like the "No Spacesuit" idea.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

NullDragon posted:

Countdown to "Spacesuit buttnozzle" requests started :v:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd make it so farts don't propel you, and as you keep farting you get increasingly more dramatic messages, tox damage, than eventually your space suit explodes with a hilarious balloon popping sound... not good if you happen to be in space at the time.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If farts are something that are appreciably expelled and can be funneled, I want to be able to fill air canisters, emergency oxygen tanks and jetpacks with farts. :colbert:

edit: So help me, I'll spend entire rounds converting the engine to run off of farts.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I have wanted farts to be a gas for years. I want to be able to fill tanks with farts, hook them up with a transfer valve, and throw the fart bomb into a crowded area. When it triggers, I want it to make a loud fart noise and just fall apart, maybe with a message like 'The device farts incredibly loudly and then falls apart. Holy poo poo was a dumb loving idea that was.'

That and the ability to connect a remote signaler to a bike horn for remote honks.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PopeCrunch posted:

That and the ability to connect a remote signaler to a bike horn for remote honks.

This is a great idea. You could drive some folks bananas with a remote honk device.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is a great idea. You could drive some folks bananas with a remote honk device.

It would be even better if you could stuff it down the back of their jumpsuit. Alternately, hack into their headset with a remote signaler and allow that to play honks remotely.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

hack into their headset with a remote signaler and allow that to play honks remotely.

Oh my god headset phreaking is such a brilliant idea.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Gotta build a blue box and get a whistle out of the cereal boxes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Angry Diplomat posted:

drat it, I wish I could find the story of the dude who hid in a chemistry closet, and farted so long and continuously that it drove someone else homicidally insane.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The money you start off with is pretty good at getting you through space. 1 dollar bill propulsion.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

PopeCrunch posted:

I have wanted farts to be a gas for years. I want to be able to fill tanks with farts, hook them up with a transfer valve, and throw the fart bomb into a crowded area. When it triggers, I want it to make a loud fart noise and just fall apart, maybe with a message like 'The device farts incredibly loudly and then falls apart. Holy poo poo was a dumb loving idea that was.'

I want farts to be a gas too, that way you can close yourself into a tiny 1x1 glass box, fart 1000 times, then break open the glass. :unsmigghh:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Klayboxx posted:

I want farts to be a gas too, that way you can close yourself into a tiny 1x1 glass box, fart 1000 times, then break open the glass. :unsmigghh:

Assuming you don't suffocate first.

Also farts that are capable of propelling you should require that you eat adequate food, and should run the risk of you making GBS threads your drawers instead.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lohli posted:

Also farts that are capable of propelling you should require that you eat adequate food, and should run the risk of you making GBS threads your drawers instead.
Is this post just an obfuscated "bring back poo"?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I think space propulsion farts would be pretty adequately balanced by requiring you to not be wearing pants to actually make it work. If you're farting in your clothes, there's not much in the way of force, so obviously you'd need to risk freezing to death to give yourself that last ditch chance to get back to the station.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you do it with a superfart, it should work like activating rocket shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you do it with a superfart, it should work like activating rocket shoes.

Maybe superfarts could be the only way to propel yourself with a fart?

• Locked thread