Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Much as I love PFT, I think some of his characters are already running on fumes so I'm not sure it'd work as well. Don Dimello's the only Andy Daly character who's appeared a bunch of times.

Also, I wonder if Jason Mantzoukas will be on one of the Podcast Pilots, seems only right he should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Beeez posted:

Much as I love PFT, I think some of his characters are already running on fumes so I'm not sure it'd work as well. Don Dimello's the only Andy Daly character who's appeared a bunch of times.

Also, I wonder if Jason Mantzoukas will be on one of the Podcast Pilots, seems only right he should be.

I swear Billy Merritt sounds like Mantzoukas to me. Every time I hear the announcer on Podcast Pilot, I think it's him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Beeez posted:

Much as I love PFT, I think some of his characters are already running on fumes so I'm not sure it'd work as well.
Same goes for Adomian sadly, I was really hoping he'd just play a random member of Bill's posse in this. Still a great episode though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

urk the quack posted:

I swear Billy Merritt sounds like Mantzoukas to me. Every time I hear the announcer on Podcast Pilot, I think it's him.

They've definitely both got that scratchiness to their voice, so while I've personally not experienced that, I can see why you would.

Illinois Smith posted:

Same goes for Adomian sadly, I was really hoping he'd just play a random member of Bill's posse in this. Still a great episode though.

Yeah, him too. I still think they're both great, but some of their characters need to be pushed into the background for a while at least.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I don't remember the episode that well, was the Irish poet character a psychopath? I feel like maybe he was suicidally depressed but not actively a mass-murderer, is that right? What about the German traveller? Pretty sure he was coming to the US to commit suicide on the Hollywood sign, but I don't think he had killed anyone.

I'm just trying to remember in my head if Andy Daly has any characters who aren't serial killers.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 21, 2014

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

anotherone posted:

I don't remember the episode that well, was the Irish poet character a psychopath? I feel like maybe he was suicidally depressed but not actively a mass-murderer, is that right? What about the German traveller? Pretty sure he was coming to the US to commit suicide on the Hollywood sign, but I don't think he had killed anyone.

I'm just trying to remember in my head if Andy Daly has any characters who aren't serial killers.

If Nine Sweaters is canon, the Irish poet made an elderly woman eat her own cat in a soup, and beat nearly to death the father of a little girl that rode her tricycle on his driveway too many times. The German traveler did indeed only aspire to set himself on fire while tied to the Hollywood sign, but he was going to tie himself to an annoying dog that lived near Paul F. Tompkins I think. I haven't listened to these in a long rear end time.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
If anyone hasn't listened to Nine Sweaters, you really should check it out. It's one of the funniest comedy albums ever made.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
In our amaaaaaaazing future...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

I'm kind of sick of PFT's characters but Adomian's have always stayed funny to me for some reason. I would totally listen to a two hour Tom Leykis podcast pilot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

anotherone posted:

The irish poet was sad and suicidal because he wasn't a success and couldn't hold down a job.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
HE'S Johnny MacGory!!!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

anotherone posted:

I don't THINK our favorite water skiing Hot Dog has killed anyone.

I wonder if Andi Callihan will ever come back. It's probably his weakest character but he was also on the first episode with Gilly so it has a soft spot in my heart.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

The Senator Giroux posted:

I wonder if Andi Callihan will ever come back. It's probably his weakest character but he was also on the first episode with Gilly so it has a soft spot in my heart.

Mine too cause that's the first episode I ever listened to.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Andi Callihan is easily my favorite Andy Daly character. Many people quickly forget that Andi was the genesis for the "Tony" sidekick character that is quickly attributed to Don Dimello. I believe in Andi's episode he describes Tony as a man "unencumbered by a sense of right and wrong".

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Have Andy Daly and Jon Daly ever been in the same podcast AND interacting with each other?

Because that's what I'm holding out to happen in one of these pilots.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

GraPar posted:

Would love to see Paul F Tompkin's take on the 'podcast pilot' format: Cooking With The Cake Boss, Monster Hunting And Polygamy With Garry Marshall
The Paul F Tompkast kind of is this already.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

The Paul F Tompkast kind of is this already.

I skipped most of the Great Undiscovered Project segments. :v: It just isn't the same without Scott there.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I skipped most of the Great Undiscovered Project segments. :v: It just isn't the same without Scott there.
I've listened to all of them but I am kind of....glad that it's on a hiatus at the moment. I never thought it'd happen to me but I'm getting kind of my fair share of PFT by now. I'm glad he's doing some new stuff like Richard Harrow and Daltons terrible (terrible) cityslicker of a publisher.

That said I can never get enough of his guffawing in the background.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I really liked that character he did on a live episode recently whose name I can't think of. I don't really get the point of the Alan Thicke character but it's been pretty good too.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

I really liked that character he did on a live episode recently whose name I can't think of. I don't really get the point of the Alan Thicke character but it's been pretty good too.

J.W. STILLWATER!

(or Eddie Lee Capers)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I wouldn't mind a bit of a reboot on his characters. You can tell when he goes on CBB now, he and Scott struggle to remember ALL the canon and will start going down a path, remember they did it, and then stop.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
There's that too, but I think they'd be better served just shelving those characters a bit. As much as they love to talk about "canon", CBB isn't really a superhero comic book universe.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

I wouldn't mind a bit of a reboot on his characters. You can tell when he goes on CBB now, he and Scott struggle to remember ALL the canon and will start going down a path, remember they did it, and then stop.

I assume he's slowly working in a bunch of new characters. LIke on the last CBB, when he started doing Len Wiseman and kept Gerry Marshall off to one side. I'm cool with that, I trust PFT enough for him to try whatever characters he wants (hopefully more Richard Harrow).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What's the deal with the Wiseman character? I half-listen to pods most of the time while I work and didn't realize for like 20 mins that PFT switched to a different director. Was it introduced on this week's episode for the first time?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Beeez posted:

There's that too, but I think they'd be better served just shelving those characters a bit. As much as they love to talk about "canon", CBB isn't really a superhero comic book universe.

They are comic book nerds, they obviously are actively concerned about canon.

Also, this isn't the Doug Loves Movies thread, please stop hating on PFT and James Adomian.

Also, BEAR CAT SCANNER

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What's the deal with the Wiseman character? I half-listen to pods most of the time while I work and didn't realize for like 20 mins that PFT switched to a different director. Was it introduced on this week's episode for the first time?

Gary wanted to arrange a blind-date between Gilly, his murderous gold-digging ex-wife, and a friend of his, the director of the Underworld series of movies.
I'm sure it wasn't done as part of a master-plan to bring in the new and throw out the old, that seems far too organized for an improvised comedy podcast.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The Womplerverse is the best part of CBB canon anyways.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Did Improv4Humans ever do a Crap on Youtube segment on a "What is hentai?" video? I remember this happening for some reason, and my sister just stumbled upon the video they used, and I want to send her the episode with that skit, but I can't remember which it would be.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Did Improv4Humans ever do a Crap on Youtube segment on a "What is hentai?" video? I remember this happening for some reason, and my sister just stumbled upon the video they used, and I want to send her the episode with that skit, but I can't remember which it would be.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-iIEZXYWU&t=2160s

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Thank you very much. I thought it might be a VPN one, but this is one of the ones with no skit menu. Thanks again.

e: I think I might have been confusing this with something else in my memory. I don't remember this skit being about albinos at all. Hmm.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 26, 2014

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I wonder what happened with VPN. I'm guessing it just wasn't very successful but what do I know. Maybe Earwolf will start doing shows on it again.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I wonder what happened with VPN. I'm guessing it just wasn't very successful but what do I know. Maybe Earwolf will start doing shows on it again.

My guess is that earwolf signed the contract and then didn't feel like they were getting anything out of it outside of having content delayed to be released on their own network. Podcast listeners are probably very strict as to when they can listen/watch them and having a set time probably led to lackluster live watchers.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Today's Hollywood Handbook was the best Hollywood Handbook.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

wasn't it spearheaded by Carolla, who is doing his own tv show now instead?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Doug makes weekly episodes with VPN so they're still going strong, looks like it's just something on Earwolfs end? To be honest I really only preferred I4H videos, seeing them change body language and style made the improv so much funnier. Also you got to see the banter between bits instead of just cutting to music after "aaaand sceeeeneeee" like in the audio.

The delay between episodes being broadcasted and audio did suck though.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I wasn't paying particularly close attention, but it seemed like a good portion of U Talkin U2 To Me? was just two 40something white dudes earnestly talking about how great U2 is, which is not exactly what I'm looking for in a podcast. Hopefully it'll be less straightforward when it gets to their worse material.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More people making GBS threads on October :sigh:

It's the best U2 album, drat it!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

More people making GBS threads on October :sigh:

It's the best U2 album, drat it!

I don't know much about U2 or October so I looked up their discography. Apparently, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Rattle and Hum were released on 8-track. :psyduck:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

"This is high quality rock n' roll."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Ape of Naples posted:

I don't know much about U2 or October so I looked up their discography. Apparently, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Rattle and Hum were released on 8-track. :psyduck:

Unforgettable Fire doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I think I've seen that 8-track kicking around record stores.

Joshua Tree is a little surprising, but considering how huge that album was, it's not totally crazy that they released it on a dying format

Rattle and Hum is :wtf: Apparently one of the last 8-tracks ever produced.