Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

QPZIL posted:

That's basically the same view I have.

Me, too, but really I think I just didn't want to bring in some weird occult grimoire or something and be a special snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I did it on the Bible because at that time I wasn't explicitly religious to the point of a specific faith, but I think viewing wanting your own religious text as a "special snowflake" thing is horrible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"I'm so excited to be initiated! Could I use a copy of the "Liber AL Vel Legis Sub Figura CCXX as Delivered by XCIII = 418 to DCLXVI" on the altar?"

"...you what?"

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What appendent bodies have the whole "use your own book" thing? I want to show up with the entire Buddhist Canon.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What appendent bodies have the whole "use your own book" thing? I want to show up with the entire Buddhist Canon.

SoCal #529 strives to let initiates bring in whatever the heck they want :buddy:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SaNChEzZ posted:

SoCal #529 strives to let initiates bring in whatever the heck they want :buddy:

Same with Ashler 121. But you have to ask the right questions first.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Right, but I've been a Mason for 6 years so I need one of the side orgs to mess with.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Right, but I've been a Mason for 6 years so I need one of the side orgs to mess with.

Hey, you'll have kids someday, right?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
And if I end up living where I'm planning on living they'll never be Masons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

...the Vatican?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The Moon?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Iran?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Sweden. Christians only.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sweden. Christians only.

The Moon would have been cooler.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

7thBatallion posted:

The Moon would have been cooler.

The Moon is under the jurisdiction of the GL of Texas, though. There are Moon Masons.

BTW congrats everyone on successfully implementing phase 3 of the Bitcoin Conspiracy. I'm proud of you all.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Paramemetic posted:

The Moon is under the jurisdiction of the GL of Texas, though. There are Moon Masons.

BTW congrats everyone on successfully implementing phase 3 of the Bitcoin Conspiracy. I'm proud of you all.

Don't Thank me. I missed a years worth of meetings, who knows what I missed.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I still love that Texas has an undoubtedly legitimate claim, since they literally delivered the claim charter to the Moon in Buzz Aldrin's pocket.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sweden. Christians only.

Come live in the Netherlands, same social system, less nature but the Masons don't give a poo poo about your belief system. Also upside: legalized cannabis and the third in broadband penetration.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm not sure I can think of a country that needs igneous geologists less than the Netherlands. I'd still move there in a heartbeat, though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sweet! Got an initiation tomorrow for a Mr J. Bossert. Our own Brother Dan Southerland will be conferring with the first Mason I met at Ashler, Brother Dale Miller giving the the Masters Lecture. Any Masons in the greater Seattle area that want to stop by my neck of the woods are more than welcome. There's a teriyaki joint across the street, we're hitting that up beforehand.

What? We got a musician now?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 26, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm not sure I can think of a country that needs igneous geologists less than the Netherlands. I'd still move there in a heartbeat, though.

I have no idea what an igneous geologist does, but I know Shell has it's head office in The Hague, Netherlands and I am pretty sure there is work in Oil&Gas for geologists and other higher education engineers over here. PM if you care to continue this conversation.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Keetron posted:

I have no idea what an igneous geologist does, but I know Shell has it's head office in The Hague, Netherlands and I am pretty sure there is work in Oil&Gas for geologists and other higher education engineers over here. PM if you care to continue this conversation.

Keetron? What's up? I still owe you. Unless you wanted me to pay it forward. In which case I'll do that when I have the bucks.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Keetron? What's up? I still owe you. Unless you wanted me to pay it forward. In which case I'll do that when I have the bucks.

As far as I recall, we agreed you'd pay me back when it would be possible without putting you into hardship or putting paying your lodge dues at danger.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've restarted my Masonic blog at http://threeknocks.wordpress.com - once I get enough readers or can justly ask for donations (i.e. when there's enough content), I'll get it its own domain and stuff.

I started it a long time ago (hence the post from last year), but I'm at a point in my Masonic life and studies where I really want to focus on it more often. There's so much light and knowledge that I really need to find the time to devote to it.

As someone in their thread once said (though I think it was someone else who told it to them), "there are many hours in a day."

imac1984
May 3, 2004

QPZIL posted:

I've restarted my Masonic blog at http://threeknocks.wordpress.com - once I get enough readers or can justly ask for donations (i.e. when there's enough content), I'll get it its own domain and stuff.

This is exciting. I've been a little bummed that this didn't continue initially.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

imac1984 posted:

This is exciting. I've been a little bummed that this didn't continue initially.

Hey that's encouraging to hear :) It's hard to tell if people are actually reading or following.

I'm working on a number of study programs (Master Craftsman I, the Guthrie College of the Consistory, MCIII is in the mail, etc.), so I'm going to utilize my blog for a while to publicize some of the papers I write for those study programs. If nothing else, that'll keep me motivated to post.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Keetron posted:

I have no idea what an igneous geologist does

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Keetron posted:

As far as I recall, we agreed you'd pay me back when it would be possible without putting you into hardship or putting paying your lodge dues at danger.

That was it. Just making sure you know I didn't forget.

Also, that was an awesome initiation. Smoothest one I've seen.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 28, 2014

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

Hey that's encouraging to hear :) It's hard to tell if people are actually reading or following.

I'm working on a number of study programs (Master Craftsman I, the Guthrie College of the Consistory, MCIII is in the mail, etc.), so I'm going to utilize my blog for a while to publicize some of the papers I write for those study programs. If nothing else, that'll keep me motivated to post.

Excellent, please keep it up. I like your posts so far!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Through three steps. Learning five tonight, then I'm nearly home! I'm actually going to learn this loving thing!

I also have to do the charge too :geno:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I read this thread expecting most of it to be in jokes and the usual secret society stuff, but it actually has me intrigued and has cleared up a lot about freemasonry for me, as i've tried to look into it before and found very little on the subject.

I only really have one question. The goat thing. I can't tell if you guys are joking about this or not. I was certain it was a joke for a while but now, now I just don't know :tinfoil:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Unfortunately, I've never really worshiped any god, so I can't. I'll leave it as one of life's many mysteries. Maybe i'll change my mind in a few years, only time will tell. If it wasn't for that i'd definitely look for a lodge here in the UK and speak to a few people.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 28, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

There's only one way to find out ;-*

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The goat is unobserved by the candidate, and thus it is both real and unreal until such a time as the candidate is in a position to determine its existence for himself.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

On being goatless, what I most desired was more goats.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My goat had to be wrangled by our Tiler :ohdear:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Emron posted:

On being goatless, what I most desired was more goats.

Oh my god I need to talk someone into doing this.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Oh my god I need to talk someone into doing this.

Oh, man. That would be perfect.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dogstile posted:

Unfortunately, I've never really worshiped any god, so I can't. I'll leave it as one of life's many mysteries. Maybe i'll change my mind in a few years, only time will tell. If it wasn't for that i'd definitely look for a lodge here in the UK and speak to a few people.

There is no huge need to worship a god per se, a belief in a higher power ought to be enough. Of you flat out reject the notice of a higher power or you don't care much about such a religious consideration, Freemasonry will not work for you. I am not sure if I said it before, but I answered the question: "Do you believe in a higher power?" with "I am not sure, but the grand architect of the universe is actually a very workable way of putting it". The reply was: "Yes would have been enough."

ex
Nov 27, 2002

it all comes down to the fine arts
Our lodge is known as "The Thinking Man's Lodge" and often puts on Masonic educational sessions for all brethren far and wide. Since joining the lodge just over a year ago, I have volunteered myself to present a couple of times on different subjects (EA reflections, 12 Cognitive Biases that make human act irrationally). I enjoy public speaking and always look for a reason to present. This leads into tomorrow's regularly stated meeting. I volunteered again to do a presentation on the 4 Cardinal Virtues. Turns out we will also have some special guests there to join us.
A current member of the lodge is receiving his 60 year bar which will be presented by the Grand Master. Turns out I will be presenting after the 60 year bar presentation. Wow. I'm excited to do the best job I can in front of everyone tomorrow night and really looking forward to it.

Just thought I would like to share that with you guys. I am always lurking on this thread and now have something to add! Wish me luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
Good luck ex!

I am always looking for more Masonic education, and the three knocks blog made me want to check out other blogs and podcasts. Anyone have any suggestions for good blogs and podcasts?