Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Goddamn, those sideways French flag waving orange haired bastards. Of course they would have come up with such a dastardly plan. I'll bet they intend to use it on the British or the germans first.
Old joke a dutch friend of mine told me once. "We're still pretty pissed off at the Germans, they took our bikes to make tanks in WWII and they keep winning at football"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Cheap energy is necessary to have a life that is at all meaningful. Right now that means oil. If someone invented a battery technology that could do more than drive a go-kart a couple dozen miles, we'd switch over to it.

Battery technology is actually pretty good, but what does it have to do with getting off of fossil fuels? Batteries are charged with the burning of fossil fuels often enough.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Grouchy Smurf posted:

I do feel that we need to separate this one into two categories:
On one hand, we have the retards gentlemen who believe that it is created by the "government" as a way to control our lives bla bla bla.
On the other, a great number of people do believe that the global warming is true, but they are sceptic as to the amount of influence Mankind's actions have on it.

I can't say that I completely agree with the second group, but they behave rationally.

Its a profoundly conspiratorial view, because it directly implies a vast conspiracy of scientists colluding to lie about physics for some undetermined reason.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Battery technology is actually pretty good, but what does it have to do with getting off of fossil fuels? Batteries are charged with the burning of fossil fuels often enough.
Transport accounts for a very large percentage of fossil fuel use and battery technology isn't up to the task of replacing oil-derived fuels in mobile platforms.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SedanChair posted:

Alternative energy doesn't fit in a car. You can charge a battery off of clean(er) power (wind, water, nuclear, etc.), but you can't fit a nuclear reactor in your trunk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I more meant we've created a built-environment and economy that's so dependant on fossil fuels and kept heading down that path even when it was obvious those days were numbered, much like an addict who knows his lifestyle is destructive and unsustainable but just keeps going because the alternative can be extremely unpleasant and even kill him.

Elysiume posted:

but you can't fit a nuclear reactor in your trunk.

yet

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Please do remember that fossil fuel reliance is a global issue, not a special American thing. For instance, European freight transport is ultimately even more reliant on cheap fossil fuels due to the massively higher usage of road trucks vs rail freight.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Ah yes. The futuristic idea of running everything on nuclear power. All the joys of a nuclear power plant melt down in the palm of your hand. Don't worry about condoms you lovebirds, just do it in the back seat, it'll make Timmy's balls shoot blanks.

I'm fine with using nuclear power plants but considering how many loving idiots get behind the wheel of a vehicle that is quite literally powered by explosions and end up utterly destroying the vehicle, I'd really rather not have a fender bender potentially result in all parties suffering from radiation poisoning.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think anyone seriously considered nuclear powered cars. But I think nuclear power has a big potential place in international shipping. Those huge container ships that move basically everything humans ever touch burn a hell of a lot of very cheap dirty oil and their emissions are held to jokes of standards compared to even the worst vehicles.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anyone seriously considered nuclear powered cars.

Well not recently anyway.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Alternative energy doesn't fit in a car. You can charge a battery off of clean(er) power (wind, water, nuclear, etc.), but you can't fit a nuclear reactor in your trunk.

Well, you could, but to get the density required, it would need to be weapons grade nuclear material. So in effect, you'd have most of what you need to build a nuclear bomb (the hard part of making a nuclear weapon is the nuclear goo) in your trunk. And a bad car crash would result in the location being unsafe for humans for several millennia.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anyone seriously considered nuclear powered cars. But I think nuclear power has a big potential place in international shipping. Those huge container ships that move basically everything humans ever touch burn a hell of a lot of very cheap dirty oil and their emissions are held to jokes of standards compared to even the worst vehicles.

If it was cheaper to burn dog poo poo than bunker fuel they would burn dog poo poo. Nukes are great for military applications but I can't see it being desirable for shipping until it's incredibly cheap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There have been 3 nuclear powered merchant ships that actually went into service, but building more basically got ended out of fears of ~bad people~ stealing the reactor.

Specifically they were the:
Otto Hahn, West Germany (1968–1979)
Savannah, United States (1962–1972)
Sevmorput, Russia (1988–2012)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what my favorite thing about conspiracy wackaloons is? Videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwyeK36Gh-s

I just love weird videos like that and everything to do with the paranormal and ETs.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 16, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Huttan posted:

Well, you could, but to get the density required, it would need to be weapons grade nuclear material. So in effect, you'd have most of what you need to build a nuclear bomb (the hard part of making a nuclear weapon is the nuclear goo) in your trunk. And a bad car crash would result in the location being unsafe for humans for several millennia.

I think that falls under the category of "the tech is not ready yet."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think the point is that by the time we could feasibly make a nuclear-powered car we'll have better, safer options anyhow.

Clean, safe large-scale nuclear power generation is already technically feasibleand I think there's a better chance of an updated/rebuilt power grid and better batteries/supercapacitors for cars than there is of us ever driving around with a Mr. Fusion.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wheeee posted:

I think the point is that by the time we could feasibly make a nuclear-powered car we'll have better, safer options anyhow.

Clean, safe large-scale nuclear power generation is already technically feasibleand I think there's a better chance of an updated/rebuilt power grid and better batteries/supercapacitors for cars than there is of us ever driving around with a Mr. Fusion.

If we're talking fusion then it's entirely possible to have a safe helium 3 powered car since neither fuel nor waste products are dangerous and the reaction itself can be totally shielded with just aluminum foils thanks to not producing anything worse than beta radiation. Just felt like I had to point that out for some reason. :pwn:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Nuclear powered cars will exist in the form of an electric car recharging somewhere that's supplied by a nuclear power plant. The idea of just putting a reactor inside of a car instead of a stronger electrical system for larger rigs is absurd. We have the (always advancing) technology for electric cars now. Putting a reactor in one would be little more than a gimmick. On the upside the amount of fuel needed to power a car would be extremely small and a reinforced containment setup would probably be the most weight in the vehicle.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Posted completely unironically.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Posted completely unironically.

With the pun based names its a weird two layers deep comedy. Its beautiful.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
http://www.theonion.com/articles/911-truther-vows-not-to-rest-until-everyone-knows,35319

:mmmhmm:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This explains why even on "PUPPY SMELLS OWN FART" youtubes there will be a 200 post argument about 9/11

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My second favorite Onion article was a story about how Oliver Stone's 9-11 film was going to put forward the 'Single Plane Theory'

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Glorious.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:golfclap:

Just posted this for the benefit of the truther population among my facebook friends. On that note, I should probably clean up my friends list.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I was doing some internet research when I came across this piece:

Interracial Marriage and the Bible

Since I thought I recognized the "Jesus-is-Savior.com" domain I knew this was going to be a gem.

quote:

However, it is sinful and unbiblical to deliberately promote interracial
marriage with the intent of unifying the world. There is an agenda today
to promote marriage between different races.
God segregated mankind in
the Bible at Babel, that all men might seek the Lord (Acts 17:26-27). In
other words, one corrupt group of people wouldn't necessarily corrupt the
other groups. Whenever men unite together, it always a bad thing. Satan
today is working relentlessly to remove all the boundaries, to promote a
one-world religion, economy, and police state. It is happening now. The
purpose is to lead the world in worship of the coming beast.

Personally, I think it's recommended for racial groups to marry within
their own group...
(cut)
Bottom line ... Hebrews 13:4 permits interracial marriage and it doesn't
matter what I think, but I do have my opinion on the matter. The
unnatural promotion of interracial marriages today is sinful because of
the agenda behind it, and that agenda is a one world order.

(emphasis mine)
Oh boy, "one world order". Let me go to the main page to see and...yep, "Truth about 9/11" and plenty of links to Alex Jones.

But I really love this part because it's so "I'm not racist because I have black interracial couple friends."

quote:

But, I do know some wonderful people who have
mixed marriages. I'll tell you what, God isn't going to judge those who
marry interracially ... He's going to judge the whores and whoremongers.

I am not surprised to see a "they're trying to wipe out the whites with inter-racism" with NWO conspiracies.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

"one world order"

I don't get all the new world order crap, especially with the "signs" and poo poo everywhere (dollar bill, etc). Why would these guys leave hints out in the open like that? HOW CLEVER OF YOU TO PICK UP ON THESE SUBLIMINAL SYMBOLS

My idiot truther friend was showing me some video of the new World Trade Center building making some weird rear end noises, and mentioned, "Why do you think it's called One World Trade? Kinda sounds like One World Order, doesn't it?"

No, no it doesn't.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yarbald posted:

I don't get all the new world order crap, especially with the "signs" and poo poo everywhere (dollar bill, etc). Why would these guys leave hints out in the open like that? HOW CLEVER OF YOU TO PICK UP ON THESE SUBLIMINAL SYMBOLS

My idiot truther friend was showing me some video of the new World Trade Center building making some weird rear end noises, and mentioned, "Why do you think it's called One World Trade? Kinda sounds like One World Order, doesn't it?"

No, no it doesn't.

In reality, they wouldn't. The New World Order or Freemasons or whoever would not run their organization like the Crips and put their iconography on everything while trying to remain a secret. There would be no evidence, there would be no trace, there would be no codes. But conspiracy theorists think that they've managed to crack the code and have figured something out that John Q. Public are too dumb to figure out and find a pattern that was never there.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Putting visible symbols everywhere and leaving clues that can be followed increases the power of the main conspiracy through sympathetic magic.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

In reality, they wouldn't. The New World Order or Freemasons or whoever would not run their organization like the Crips and put their iconography on everything while trying to remain a secret. There would be no evidence, there would be no trace, there would be no codes. But conspiracy theorists think that they've managed to crack the code and have figured something out that John Q. Public are too dumb to figure out and find a pattern that was never there.

That's the argument I always try to make, I just get a dumb "hiding in plain sight" type of response.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

Putting visible symbols everywhere and leaving clues that can be followed increases the power of the main conspiracy through sympathetic magic.

This is sort of what gets me. Conspiracies I can somewhat understand. The human mind is built to find patterns even when none exist, it's pretty much how we've built up from cavemen hunting wooly mammoths. Find a pattern and exploit it to better oneself.

But magic. They are apparently doing this all via magic. Sympathetic magic.

How does that work again? Or are they claiming the conspirators just believe in this magic, even if there is no magic whatsoever? In which case how would they be any good at conspiracies if they believe in, of all loving things, magic?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think the point is that people who are "in" on the conspiracy would be able to decode the hidden messages and act accordingly. You'd think those symbols would be more hidden so some schmuck couldn't pick up on them but hey I'm not in the illuminati.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Star Man posted:

And people who found out would either be left alone so others think they're crazy, or get killed in a robbery gone bad or other tragic incident that would be impossible to link to said shadow group that wanted to remain in the shadows.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder if conspiracy theories are a modern evolution of folk tales of a monster doing something despicable. Those old folk tales make it sound like that those kinds of creatures are everywhere and always watching and waiting and working behind the scenes. There's no way to ever prove that they're there and are explanations for unknown or unknowable phenomena.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yarbald posted:

My idiot truther friend was showing me some video of the new World Trade Center building making some weird rear end noises,

Wait, is this part of the conspiracy now?

It just whistles. Lots of buildings do it here. It's almost as if air rapidly moving through alternately open and closed spaces could create sound.

Has this person never been to a city? Was the homeless guy playing the saxophone on the subway this morning also part of the plot to create a one world government?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Was the homeless guy playing the saxophone on the subway this morning also part of the plot to create a one world government?
To you it sounds like jazz sax noodling, but listen closer and you can make out the SECRET MUSICAL NUMBER CODE

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Yarbald posted:

My idiot truther friend was showing me some video of the new World Trade Center building making some weird rear end noises

Does this friend have any physical/tangible hobbies? Are they in a relationship? Are their parents still together?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It just whistles. Lots of buildings do it here. It's almost as if air rapidly moving through alternately open and closed spaces could create sound.

Yeah, he brought it up originally because it just makes some bizarre noise, we were talking about using sampling some of the sounds from the video. Of course he did make some stupid comment about it having to do with "the truth" eventually.

eggyolk posted:

Does this friend have any physical/tangible hobbies? Are they in a relationship? Are their parents still together?

Yes, no, no.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think the point is that people who are "in" on the conspiracy would be able to decode the hidden messages and act accordingly. You'd think those symbols would be more hidden so some schmuck couldn't pick up on them but hey I'm not in the illuminati.

Yeah. It reminds me of the FEMA directions to the Camps hidden in normal signage. Like with a picture of an airplame for an airport? It's pointing in the direction, not the arrow to the airport.

EDIT: Found the site I read this stuff on: http://web.archive.org/web/20011218071131/http://tackamarks.freeservers.com/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yarbald posted:

That's the argument I always try to make, I just get a dumb "hiding in plain sight" type of response.

Ask those people if they've ever been diagnosed with autism. A boss at my old job had a son who was autistic, said he'd pick up things like hidden codes and signs all the time because his mind focused on those things specifically.
If they dare to answer yes, just nod and move on

• Locked thread