Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TooManyUzukis posted:

Twin down, motherfuckers.

Who's your warrior? I'm just curious what gear he or she was using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

amaranthine posted:

Finally get a coil group, get 90ked in the middle of ADS.

so mad

We got 90k'd right after getting loot from Twin, so none of us have gotten to see the cutscenes afterwards. My precious post-dragon story!

SpazmasterX posted:

Taresh Quickfingers.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

Tanking is pretty simply, once you get to Coil of Bahamut, Ballad Ultima and the Extreme Primals the game starts making things a bit more complicated with tank swaps or a terrible hot mess like Turn 4. But before that the most exciting thing a tank has to do is to pick up Chirada and Suparna in Garuda Hard Mode. Mostly it all boils down to dodge aoes that you can without screwing over your party and also facing the enemy away from the group. Healing is generally more finely tuned so high level content can range from interesting to ball crushing panic, but levelling is a pretty easy ride as long as you pay attention to your tank and they aren't completely incompetent.

Honestly pre-50 the hardest part about tanking is holding aggro on trash mobs (if you're not bothering to mark anything). It's like a personal challenge to never lose aggro as a PLD when dps are all attacking different targets.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Instance servers are derping pretty hard right now. The game keeps on trying to log me onto copperbell mine, and the one time I got in the elevator lever didn't load properly and I got 90k after 5 minutes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You guys that downed Twin tonight before the 90k hammer came down better appreciate your luck.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Got DCed on the CT loading screen, so much for tonight.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

notZaar posted:

You guys that downed Twin tonight before the 90k hammer came down better appreciate your luck.

The previous attempt we actually got 90k'ed as we were killing the snakes.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Algid posted:

Instance servers are derping pretty hard right now. The game keeps on trying to log me onto copperbell mine, and the one time I got in the elevator lever didn't load properly and I got 90k after 5 minutes.
I was 2/3 through my first Copperbell run and then I got dced. I guess I'll wait another night to finally keep going in the main story!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Agent355 posted:

Honestly pre-50 the hardest part about tanking is holding aggro on trash mobs (if you're not bothering to mark anything). It's like a personal challenge to never lose aggro as a PLD when dps are all attacking different targets.

Coming from a Warrior and levelling up a GLD/PLD I actually have this issue right now. After relying on Overpower so much and being lazy about marking it's an interesting challenge. But early trash mobs are unlikely to wipe the group before Stone Vigil.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Algid posted:

Hopefully the maintenance tonight will fix that poo poo up. Losing Coil loot to 90k is pretty godawful.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm gonna commiserate with people who lost loot due to 90k last night - I lost Allagan Bracelet of Casting because of it actually I left T2 before everyone finished passing because I'm a loving dumbass

We did get 90k'd as the last Dreadnoaught died in T4, though. That was a serious bummer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I'm gonna commiserate with people who lost loot due to 90k last night - I lost Allagan Bracelet of Casting because of it actually I left T2 before everyone finished passing because I'm a loving dumbass

We did get 90k'd as the last Dreadnoaught died in T4, though. That was a serious bummer.

Better than 90k'd after the last Dreadnought died. It sucked real bad but in retrospect I'm kinda glad it happened when it did, instead of when it would have cost us loot.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Mo0 posted:

We have Cerebral Ballsy on Excalibur, that's still the contest winner IMO.

I see you and I raise you:
Dankdragon Budblazer
Chestapples McMelons

edit: ok Esuna Matata is good

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 26, 2014

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I saw Dong Quixote earlier and I almost choked. I don't care if it makes me ten years old mentally, that name makes me laugh so hard.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I think the Primal Data Center might be having technical difficulties, guys.

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

I think the Primal Data Center might be having technical difficulties, guys.

Such is the life of Primals. Constantly being killed and re summoned, sucks to be them.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
All of this data center crap is happening less than a day after I got three of my friends to sign up. They're so impressed. :allears:

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Meldonox posted:

All of this data center crap is happening less than a day after I got three of my friends to sign up. They're so impressed. :allears:

So they get to experience FF14 like it was at launch. You're a great friend!

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
While it doesn't usually extend to the full data center itself, the instance servers at least have always been a bit iffy on Mon/Tues night since 2.1 due to the weekly reset. The extra people from the game going to Steam has probably just exacerbated this issue.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crazy Larry posted:

Oh man, servers are down around NA primetime after the Monday reset? I'm shocked at this turn of events that totally doesn't happen every single week.

Crazy Larry posted:

While it doesn't usually extend to the full data center itself, the instance servers at least have always been a bit iffy on Mon/Tues night since 2.1 due to the weekly reset. The extra people from the game going to Steam has probably just exacerbated this issue.

Crazy Larry: Analysis you can count on, in no way off the cuff and wildly speculative.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy, get ready for another class vs. class question!

First I was torn between SMN and BLM, but I eventually decided to just do BLM because after playing more with both it just seemed more fun. Of course, this meant I had to level my ARC sub, so I put it down at 26 to come back to it later, or so I thought. ARC turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun, and now I'm torn all over again; this time between BRD and BLM. :(

And no, I don't really want to level both. My plan was to level just one combat job and then dive into crafting.

So, some more questions.

Is one more desired/useful for endgame?

If I leveled Bard, is Mantra at all worth it? Because leveling PGL up to 42 just for that sounds about as fun as hanging myself.

One concern I have is that a lot of the later fights (extreme primals, coil) seem like they involve a lot of movement. If I played BLM, would a lot of my time be spent interrupting my casting and running out of red zones? Because that sounds kind of frustrating.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Daily Forecast posted:

If I leveled Bard, is Mantra at all worth it? Because leveling PGL up to 42 just for that sounds about as fun as hanging myself.

Not really worth it. It's only 5% cross classed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bards get a sissy heal limit break, Black Mages can call down a loving meteor, Quod Erat Demonstrorkum :colbert:

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

TooManyUzukis posted:

Twin down, motherfuckers.

Hey I killed twin before you guys :toot: I'm never letting that rescinded offer go

but really, congratulations to y'all. you earned it~

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Crazy Larry: Analysis you can count on, in no way off the cuff and wildly speculative.

Yep, because I'm the only one that has noticed a pattern with regards to server stability after the weekly reset.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forum.php#threads/149125
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forum.php#threads/148896
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forum.php#threads/149202

I'd go on, but I'm it's a bitch collecting links on a phone.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
And even better, because Square Enix is dumb, forum links from the mobile forums only work on mobile devices, and forums links from the desktop forums only work on desktop devices. So none of those links work for me because I'm not on a phone.

(Mobile links on the desktop bring up the root of the forums, and desktop links on a phone bring up a blank page. Go Square Enix.)

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Xenoveritas posted:

And even better, because Square Enix is dumb, forum links from the mobile forums only work on mobile devices, and forums links from the desktop forums only work on desktop devices. So none of those links work for me because I'm not on a phone.

(Mobile links on the desktop bring up the root of the forums, and desktop links on a phone bring up a blank page. Go Square Enix.)

Haha, seriously? Wtf SE? Well, for what it's worth those were all page 1 topics. I'm sure you can dig up more if you go further back or venture beyond the main English forum.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Hey sorry we didn't have enough time to bring you in for a garuda extreme carry. We had JUST enough time to get two kills before the server went down. Come join football school.

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27288

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

SpazmasterX posted:

Hi.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2358416/

My earring melds are kinda bad and I'm probably going to be replacing Haken with a Bravura Zenith next week if I swap to tank penta'd and get lucky with t1-4 drops to get a teensy bit more accuracy

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 26, 2014

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Hotfix details are up

quote:

The following issues have been addressed.
An issue wherein the servers would crash under certain circumstances.
An issue wherein the Manor Sentry does not disappear after its HP reaches zero in the last encounter of Haukke Manor (Hard).
An issue wherein character movement lags considerably and/or actions take an unusual amount of time to trigger in certain instances. (PlayStation®3 version only)
An issue wherein character movement and controls are unresponsive for a brief period after interacting with NPCs or viewing event cutscenes.
An issue wherein the graphics in certain cutscenes during the quest “The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen” do not display properly.
An issue wherein characters appear to float in the air momentarily after dismounting.
An issue wherein transferring an item to a retainer will sometimes result in the icon of the transferred item remaining in the player’s inventory instead of disappearing.
An issue wherein, when placing an item for sale in the marketplace, the initial cursor position is on the “Cancel” button.
An issue wherein, when using the text command “/action(/ac)” or “/petaction(/pac)”, if a target character is specified, but that target character is not present, the game will automatically select a viable target and carry out the command.
* With this current hotfix, if the specified target is not present, the error message “The target name you have selected is invalid” will display and the action will not be carried out. If a target is not specified, the action will be carried out automatically on a viable target, just as if the action had been enacted from the hotbar.
An issue wherein the mouse cursor is visible when using waymarks even if "Locked to Cursor" is selected for ground targeting settings.
An issue wherein a player's application to a free company will not be received when an application to a different free company is canceled prior to submission.
An issue wherein the client will sometimes crash under usage of a CPU with greater than 32 cores. (Windows version only)
An issue wherein screenshots will always be saved as “High-quality PNG” even if settings are changed to be lower. (PlayStation®3 version only)
An issue wherein a section of Help text does not display properly on the World select screen during character creation. (PlayStation®4 beta test version only)
Hopefully that /action change means my healing macros work again instead of always self-casting. :pray:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

quote:

An issue wherein the client will sometimes crash under usage of a CPU with greater than 32 cores. (Windows version only)

Oh good because that might have been an issue in 2084.

edit: Welp don't I have egg on my face, apparently those totally exist. Though I think there'd be better things to do with that much power than play FFXIV maybe.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Oh good because that might have been an issue in 2084.

edit: Welp don't I have egg on my face, apparently those totally exist. Though I think there'd be better things to do with that much power than play FFXIV maybe.

There are also motherboards with more than one cpu slot.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Oh boy, get ready for another class vs. class question!

First I was torn between SMN and BLM, but I eventually decided to just do BLM because after playing more with both it just seemed more fun. Of course, this meant I had to level my ARC sub, so I put it down at 26 to come back to it later, or so I thought. ARC turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun, and now I'm torn all over again; this time between BRD and BLM. :(

And no, I don't really want to level both. My plan was to level just one combat job and then dive into crafting.

So, some more questions.

Is one more desired/useful for endgame?

One concern I have is that a lot of the later fights (extreme primals, coil) seem like they involve a lot of movement. If I played BLM, would a lot of my time be spent interrupting my casting and running out of red zones? Because that sounds kind of frustrating.

Yea, mantra isn't worth it because you'll end up just playing the best job in game, fists up.

Between BRD and BLM- it just depends on play style. BRDs are expected to play ballads of the appropriate types to help the raid. If you rather just zone out and ignore helping friends, just go on with BLM. Its all personal preference.

We have a few BLM in our FC and they don't have much trouble with the movement in endgame. They do say the best way to do it is to run no further than needed.

the most important criteria is all about dress up. Do you like wearing the most fabulous gear? If so, BRD is for you. If you like the boring stuff, go BLM.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

:siren: Servers are already back up btw. :siren:

come do CT tia

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cancerianmoth posted:

Do you like wearing the most fabulous gear? If so, BRD is for you.

Gryphonskin and Ballad stuff is pretty drat cool looking so I guess this is the correct answer. Thank you.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

If I play the ps4 beta, will my character be wiped for the full release?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

If I play the ps4 beta, will my character be wiped for the full release?
I'd say this is very unlikely considering it's separate servers and merging them in would be weird. Maybe you could freely transfer? You'd have to change your char name and things like that I imagine.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

ilifinicus posted:

I'd say this is very unlikely considering it's separate servers and merging them in would be weird. Maybe you could freely transfer? You'd have to change your char name and things like that I imagine.

Do you mean it's likely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

Do you mean it's likely?
No, the transfer option they had running at a point for people from 1.0 vanished I think. Since this is specifically a beta, I imagine they won't do that sort of thing for a beta that runs alongside a live game.

• Locked thread