Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Oh, joy. A whole party of "me too" guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Flesnolk posted:

Oh, joy. A whole party of "me too" guys.

I figured that since there'll eventually be one of those anyway, I might as well start it.

Because that way, I get to pick our symbol.

Besides, is there any point in voting for a losing proposal?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Party solidarity and ideological identification?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yes. A losing proposal is often far more holy and righteous than a winner. You and your ilk would have stood with the Pharisees, screaming for the blood of Christ! Have you not read Scripture?

"Because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Revelation 3:16.

Even the infidels and heretics among us have devotion! You follow the true God only because it is expedient! Your party is worthless white noise, and I beg the Empress to spit you out of her mouth. Why even attend these august meetings? They are not for the likes of you. Your wealth could build a fine church.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 26, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

To address your concerns, gentlemen:

NewMars posted:

Party solidarity and ideological identification?
"Whatever works" is my personal ideology, "whatever keeps me alive and in power long enough to implement whatever works" is my application of it, and "support whatever the present consensus is" is perhaps the simplest form of party solidarity.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yes. A losing proposal is often far more holy and righteous than a winner. You and your ilk would have stood with the Pharisees, screaming for the blood of Christ! Have you not read Scripture?

"Because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Revelation 3:16.

Even the infidels and heretics among us have devotion! You follow the true God only because it is expedient! Your party is worthless white noise, and I beg the Empress to spit you out of her mouth. Your wealth could build a fine church.

I follow him because he's winning. I follow the specific tradition I do because it is the one ascendant in our land, and our land is where my stuff and the people I like are.

Although admittedly, I suppose I'd follow him regardless, since it's not so much that he's winning as it is that he currently chooses to favor a given set of beliefs. Should he shift his favor to a different set, then that set of beliefs would start to win. Don't you yourself claim that any serious defeat is a sign that we have lost the favor of God, and any major victory a sign we have said favor? The implications of such are obvious, to those with wit to see them.

Also, you do me a disservice. I would have stood with the Romans. The Pharisees against the might of Rome could (and did) only go one way.

Ultimately, I see devotion to one particular cause as a personal matter. The Senate, on the other hand, is business. Supporting the first is a pleasure, but the second is a duty, and are we not supposed to put duty before pleasure?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The impudence! God is God, to be followed only because it is right. Any defeat is a punishment or a test, but you speak as if Zeus reigned! Our faith is not about favors from the Almighty! Suffering is key to it. The Seljuks are a test, one many here in the Senate have failed, turning to heresy and paganism. You too have failed. But now, God is giving us another chance, and I won't see all of efforts and victories wasted away be mercenary "Senators"!

Scripture and centuries of tradition have led to the establishment of the Orthodox faith. It always has been, and always will be, the true faith. The actions of its supposed followers, men like you, are the only reason He would condemn us! Men like you led the Empire down the path to ruin, and now that rises again, you return from the woodwork!

And now, you invoke duty? The gall! One who has no beliefs, and only cares that he is on the winning side has no sense of "duty." You understand only how to curry favor, and that is not how an empire is ruled. It is the pastime of eunuchs, and I recommend you become one.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You know, they say you've finally made it when you have a copycat, no matter how manifestly inferior. Of course, the Komnenians have always been possessed of the ironclad certainty of this but it's good to have confirmation as well.

I'd like to point out that the Komnenians have always had an ideology all our own and aren't afraid to make a stand. I mean, if you're just going to vote for whatever's winning anyway, why even bother to show up? You might as well just hire a proxy to vote for you. Like how I make my dog, Scruffles, acting senator every time I've had too many.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Duckbag posted:

I'd like to point out that the Komnenians have always had an ideology all our own and aren't afraid to make a stand. I mean, if you're just going to vote for whatever's winning anyway, why even bother to show up? You might as well just hire a proxy to vote for you. Like how I make my dog, Scruffles, acting senator every time I've had too many.

You know, that explains so much about the past week. By the way, your dog might be drunk now. And stranded in Rome.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Scruffles, acting senator every time I've had too many.

And may god have mercy on his soul. I'll remember that weekend we had at the races after the vote on what colour to decorate the senate floor. It will warm the cockles of my heart until the day I die.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Well, this has been an entertaining evening.

Now, to business:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The impudence! God is God, to be followed only because it is right. Any defeat is a punishment or a test, but you speak as if Zeus reigned! Our faith is not about favors from the Almighty! Suffering is key to it. The Seljuks are a test, one many here in the Senate have failed, turning to heresy and paganism. You too have failed. But now, God is giving us another chance, and I won't see all of efforts and victories wasted away be mercenary "Senators"!
Favors are proof that we are doing something right. Suffering is proof that we're doing something wrong. In the absence of him choosing to speak directly with us, in the present, in clear and modern language, it's the only guide we have to what he might wish of us.

I suppose I might ask of you why you think we're currently losing? Because I look around and I see limitless possibilities and victories awaiting us.

quote:

Scripture and centuries of tradition have led to the establishment of the Orthodox faith. It always has been, and always will be, the true faith. The actions of its supposed followers, men like you, are the only reason He would condemn us! Men like you led the Empire down the path to ruin, and now that rises again, you return from the woodwork!
I highly recommend you read of the Council of Nicaea, and all of the deliberations both before and after it. Or to reflect upon the iconoclasts, and how every now and again the pendulum seems to swing towards their way of thinking.

Those who truly believe that they and they alone know the entirety of what is encompassed in or desired by the infinite, limitless nature of God are, I submit, the ones who are deluded. That they might know more than other men is entirely possible, that they might ever know as much as God himself is heretical.

quote:

And now, you invoke duty? The gall! One who has no beliefs, and only cares that he is on the winning side has no sense of "duty." You understand only how to curry favor, and that is not how an empire is ruled. It is the pastime of eunuchs, and I recommend you become one.
I submit that you perhaps have very little experience with any form of empire, of politics, or indeed of any gathering of humans large enough that you need a second hand's worth of fingers to count them.

And I have many beliefs. I'm merely wise enough to separate what I myself believe from what is good governance. And the first, most crucial rule of good governance is that in order to promote it you need to be in a position to govern. Those who make a habit of supporting the losing side, as a general rule, find their position to be somewhere in the dungeons under Blachernae Palace. If they're lucky.

Duckbag posted:

For much the same reason why it's worth it to show up to the chariot races, even when you know they're fixed: to watch the crowd.

Incidentally, tell Scruffles he still owes me a bottle of good Cypriot wine in exchange for that evening I arranged with the courtesans.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Well, this has been an entertaining evening.

Now, to business:

Favors are proof that we are doing something right. Suffering is proof that we're doing something wrong.

Then in your case, I vote for suffering. Guards!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

And may god have mercy on his soul. I'll remember that weekend we had at the races after the vote on what colour to decorate the senate floor. It will warm the cockles of my heart until the day I die.

Speaking of the most illustrious and Roman of all sports. The time has come for us all to reveal where our loyalties truly lie. Which of the teams do you support senators? the Blues or the Greens? (Or you could go with the reds or the whites but come on, pick a real team). There can only be one right answer!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Obviously blue, duh!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
: The Greens, of course! After the incident back in the time of Alexios, anyway!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rincewind posted:

: The Greens, of course! After the incident back in the time of Alexios, anyway!

Our Empress is wise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rincewind posted:

I agree with the Empress.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Lord Windy posted:

Obviously blue, duh!

Well this is embarrassing.

I'm watching my social life disappear before my eyes.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

JT Jag posted:

I agree with the Empress.

I agree with agreeing with the Empress.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lord Windy posted:

Well this is embarrassing.

I'm watching my social life disappear before my eyes.

Well, to be fair, as a Komnenian you can always claim that you supported the Blues because Emperor Alexios himself raced for them, giving them a Komnenian connection, but now that our Empress has made her preferences clear you're switching your allegiance because whatever she says goes.

Us Old Romans know a thing or two about politics, m'friend, follow our lead and you'll go far.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Chariot racing? Pah! A breeding ground for rebelliousness and hooliganism if I ever saw one - almost all the great riots in Constantinople's history started in the Hippodrome, I'll have you know! Now hunting and tyzkanion, those are truly worthy sport.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 26, 2014

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

You know Empress, there's a certain other group that also is often represented by the color green! You might like them!

Maybe we a should all take this as a sign?

Talky fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 26, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Talky posted:

You know, there's a certain other group that also is often represented by the color green! Maybe we a should all take this as a sign?

I'm honestly curious, just on an intellectual basis, how many guards do you have to pay off regularly just to keep from being executed on the spot when you show up here?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Well the trick is actually to sit right in the middle of the groups of Senators that hate me the most. Everyone wants to give me the old Julius in the Senate treatment, but once one Senator does it half the chamber will pile in with reckless gusto. Nobody wants to be the guy right next to the guy all the knives are swinging at!

Oh, and erm... I'm protected by Allah! And also the Hashashin! So nobody go getting any ideas!

Talky fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 26, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Chariot racing? Pah! A breeding ground for rebelliousness and hooliganism if I ever saw one - almost all the great riots in Constantinople's history started in the Hippodrome, I'll have you know! Now hunting and tyzkanion, those are truly worthy sport.

Sir, I can stand the papists, I can even stand the mohammedeans. But you sir. Dishonoring the greatest sport of them all with your foul lies! Sir, I challenge you to a duel!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

You would challenge an old man to combat over sport, and you think this disproves my claim of chariot racing creating hooligans? The joke's on you, Senator - I've served four Emperors and Empresses, including this current one, long may she reign, and those early days were darker times than these. I propose any such contest be to first blood rather than death; honour will be satisfied and the Empress will not lose valuable legislators to this... nonsense.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

You would challenge an old man to combat over sport, and you think this disproves my claim of chariot racing creating hooligans? The joke's on you, Senator - I've served four Emperors and Empresses, including this current one, long may she reign, and those early days were darker times than these. I propose any such contest be to first blood rather than death; honour will be satisfied and the Empress will not lose valuable legislators to this... nonsense.

No go ahead, one dead Old Roman will be good for the Empire. I suggest you fight with dirty knives so we have a chance of two dead Old Romans.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Old man indeed, you've gone blind and senile! Clearly, you've forgotten that I was around for those same emperors!

...And taking things into account, frankly it will be a miracle if either of us makes it to the field, let alone first blood.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Perhaps combat by champion? Or we could toss the Useless Sycophant party, Muslim Traitor party and Spineless Mercenary party into a den of lions and bet on which party the last survivor belongs to.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

No, forget it. You have reminded me that there are other things far more worthy of fighting over. And of that bastard who always sits right in the middle of me and my friends. Protected by the Hashashin indeed!

NewMars fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 26, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Talky posted:

You know Empress, there's a certain other group that also is often represented by the color green! You might like them!

Maybe we a should all take this as a sign?

Well I'm convinced now!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I'm happy to see that we'll be taking some action against the Venetians, but again, I would like to implore my fellow senators, and even the Empress herself to establish more trade republics when we take more land. Having one or two republics is jut a recipe for monopoly, whereas more republics under our control ensure that 1) We have more money flowing into the imperial coffers, 2) the republics will be too busy trying to one up each other to get profit so they'll be less inclined to muck up the system and 3) A multitude of republics ensures we don't delineate too much money making power to just one or two parts of the Empire. Also making a few religious vassals would be good too, they provide money to the imperial coffers AND ensure the piety of the nation. Plus all this means there are less vile DOUXES holding power, which is always a plus.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NewMars posted:

Which of the teams do you support senators? the Blues or the Greens? (Or you could go with the reds or the whites but come on, pick a real team). There can only be one right answer!

I support the Blues, of course, but that's because my cousin Lavrentos makes a killing importing indigo dye from the far east. Mostly, I go to the games to support him and to have a lamb skewer and a glass of wine out in the sunshine after church.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

My grandfather was a Blues fan as his paterfamilias decreed, and my father passed the tradition down to me. It is the team that Alexios himself raced for, and the colour most associated with Christ and the Theotokos, as we see in the magnificent Deësis icon in the Cathedral of Holy Wisdom. Also, as that Heathen over there said, green has strong associations with the enemy at our gates.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

I support whichever team has the more entertaining crashes and brawls that day.

I'm there for the spectacle more than to see people race each other around an oval a few times.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The greens, symbolic of Allah's glorious power, are the greatest of chariot teams.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Sandman posted:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Thoros III Qutuzid

Chariot racing... while it is not my sport of choice, I still must side with the Blues. After all, with so many voting for the Greens do you know the money you can win if you side with the Blue?

But I digress. I rarely go to those anyway unless I'm invited. Now karakucak on the other hand, proper oil wrestling, now there we have a sport for true men!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

There's plenty of room for fellow henchmen under the weathervane banner. The Loyalists welcome you to the cause!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Duckbag posted:

And a finer senator than many others I could name. There are many admirable traits in a dog that is lacking in some of the senators here. And I resent their moniker of "Loyalists", as if we, the Komnenians, are not by far the most loyal and true to the dynasty, hence I claim them to be inferior copies, lacking any and all moral fiber and prohibit them from attending any of our parties, unless they bring drinks of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Loyalists? Loyalists! Who here is loyal except those you decry as "traitors"?

Who are by definition loyal to our ultimate lord - the Prince of Peace - and his representative on earth The Bishop of Rome

• Locked thread