Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Tiggum posted:

Moose and Molly

If the staff at a pet shop stop paying attention for even a moment, the animals will just walk right out. They're not locked up or contained in any way.

Moose & Molly is the prequel to Slylock Fox. This is the moment when the animals rise up and take civilization from mankind!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Everyone likes things. Our entire society is built on things. Clothes are just a container for your body but people didn't invent the woollen pyjama and just leave it at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hoover Dam posted:

I'd just like to thank you for this strip--except for the occasional Finnish culture reference, your translations are seamless. It's a great strip. (In general, not just today's).

Thanks, translating this stuff is a fun exercise and I'm glad to hear I'm doing a decent job at it.

I'm going to pretend I'm RandomFerret today and post some Good Times Comix.

Fingerpori

Fok_It

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

We're reading Everett True and Out Our Way in this thread

Speaking of which, what happened to Everett True, and that proposal to reissue the collection in electronic format (or possibly a reprint)?

It seems a while since we've seen violence wreaked on the unsociable.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"Okay, but the only time I saw one of these shows performed, it was with a donkey."

For some reason this arc has really incensed my hostility towards Brooke.

Tiggum posted:

Andy Capp

It probably doesn't help that he just ordered "cocktails" rather than something specific.

The only real-ale cocktail I know of is when an old man orders a pint of mild and a half of light and tops up the former with the latter

Foob is the modern-day Mrs. Dalloway. Or rather was, ten years ago.

The actual modern-day Mrs. Dalloway: Momma

And since it's next to Momma on gocomics, have Molly and the Bear, a strip where a straight-laced suburban house is invaded by a big, schlubby, lovable Bear

gently caress you Molly and the Bear.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

Posting this one unedited because I found myself getting weirdly irritated at their messing up the joke*. Jock should be taking the low road if he's going to be ahead of them!! This is really, really important because

* If they hadn't, I probably would've edited it to be wrong. I think that might be why I'm mad.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 26, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

Because it's the economical and thus most boring option. There's a direct correlation between the two.

I bought whipped cream in a can once, it was actually kinda poo poo quality wise. Seems like one of those wasteful things only americans do to me.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Any good library should have a map room. Lose yourself in one. It's the best thing in the world.

How lost can you possibly get? You have all those maps. :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Fred Basset

Posting this one unedited because I found myself getting weirdly irritated at their messing up the joke*. Jock should be taking the low road if he's going to be ahead of them!! This is really, really important because

* If they hadn't, I probably would've edited it to be wrong. I think that might be why I'm mad.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 8, 1926)

Peanuts (March 1, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Is he turning blue? If so, he's got bigger problems than middle-age spread.

Popeye

Rip Haywire gives us a day off from pop culture references.

Pogo, in which Owl finally makes a break for it. (February 29, 1956)

Out Our Way (July 9-10, 1924)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac partakes in saber rattling.

The Creeps tamps it down for another helping.

(of catfood, note.)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
RE Librarychatte, I'm more or less with Tiggum, and books, fundamentally, are really "a container for words". That said, we still have plenty around our house, and I find myself picking one up every once in a while because it catches my eye. Not saying that never happens while browsing the Internet, I think it just tends to happen more with the real item. I was a geeky kid (not that anything has changed at my current age), and I absolutely lived in our town's library. I was the kid who would stay in at recess and read the encyclopedia. I still see public libraries as a repository of information, whether that information is in book form, or digital, and I continue to support our local library system whenever necessary, but I have to admit, the Internet is my first stop now when I'm searching for something.

My absolute favorite book of all time?

I don't know how many billions of times I checked that drat book out of the library when I was a kid. I received a brand new copy years ago at my High School graduation, and I still have it to this day.

In fact, as soon as I post these I Apologize For Continuing The Derail Comix, I'm going to go get it and read it a bit. :v:

Jane's World

Don't worry Jane, it's typical MomChatte. They're just planning you and Dorothy's lives for you. Standard operating procedure. :v:

Non Sequitur

I like the dorky look on the bear's face in the first panel.

Heavenly Nostrils

I like Marigold's logic. :)

Kliban

I'm not sure why I found this so funny, but I did. I love the look of satisfaction on their faces upon discovering a beach full of toasters.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/26/2003

I thought this was pretty good, Brooke. One of my cats is exactly like this.

Zits

Man, I never did.

Kevin & Kell

I'm really hoping that she picked The Church of the Subgenius, or whatever incarnation it would be in the K&K universe. There's your great idea for the day, Holbrook.

Nemi

:lol: Just look at those "wasted faces"! Oh Nemi.. :3:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 28, 1967)

"We All Float Down Here, Charlie Brown"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Marmaduke circa 1968

Mike du Jour

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

Marmaduke circa 1968

(Romney joke here)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

I'll post Prince Valiant later because my browser is being fucky right now.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

Mike du Jour is mystifying to me. In addition to all the normally terrible jokes and homophobia, I can't think of a single accent that would make "kitty cat" sound like "key cat".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Mike du Jour is mystifying to me. In addition to all the normally terrible jokes and homophobia, I can't think of a single accent that would make "kitty cat" sound like "key cat".

You are fortunate to have never encountered the baby-doll voice as used by an adult. (Also see Valley Girl voice).

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 26, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

"How'd you like to see them dead? All you need to do is kill them." Gee boss, no wonder you're the boss. Brains of the operation right there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

No one could possibly have collected all this stuff in one lifetime. Either it was a bunch of different people over a period of hundreds of years, or this guy is immortal. Well, he says he's immortal, I guess that's good enough for me. If you can't trust a weird guy in a purple super hero costume who lives in a cave shaped like a skull in the middle of the jungle, who can you trust?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mr. Squishy posted:

The only real-ale cocktail I know of is when an old man orders a pint of mild and a half of light and tops up the former with the latter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan :colbert:

(Unless that's what you meant, but you say "mild" and "light" and have the orders confused, then.)

Yuengling makes a serviceable bottled black & tan, flavor-wise, but of course you miss the pretty layering effect.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Tiggum posted:

No one could possibly have collected all this stuff in one lifetime. Either it was a bunch of different people over a period of hundreds of years, or this guy is immortal. Well, he says he's immortal, I guess that's good enough for me. If you can't trust a weird guy in a purple super hero costume who lives in a cave shaped like a skull in the middle of the jungle, who can you trust?

It's the striped underpants that instill such trust.

A book doesn't need a battery and has more staying power than some bits on my electronics. I own a book that was printed in 1878. Sure, the text is freely available online, but if the internet blows up, I'll still have the book. Good luck finding an obscure webcomic that never had a physical copy in 200 years.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JacquelineDempsey posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan :colbert:

(Unless that's what you meant, but you say "mild" and "light" and have the orders confused, then.)

Yuengling makes a serviceable bottled black & tan, flavor-wise, but of course you miss the pretty layering effect.

There's also the Crown Float, which is cider floated on top of a stout. Usually Strongbow and Guinness, but I've seen other combos.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I can't recall what it was called but a pub I stopped in had a drink that was about an inch of 7up with the remainder of the pint glass being filled with Oatmeal Stout, with a careful pour the liquids stayed separate, keeping the 7up on the bottom so the rich, bitter stout was finished with a surprisingly nice sweet burst.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Midnight Moth posted:

Do you also support print newspapers?
I support the institutions that newspapers are, and I feel they perform a service that is not performed by other news media, and I hope they figure out a way to make money because I don't want them to go away, but the "print" version of newspapers is not really working anymore. Although I do love to do crossword puzzles, and I like them in print, so if they can just deliver crossword puzzles every day, that would work for me. I also love comic strips, but even when I'm with a print paper I rarely read them, since I do that here. Next time I've got one handy maybe I should do that. It was a great way to read comics I don't usually read in order to remember why I don't read them, but sometimes there's a good one in there.

I love real physical books too, but as someone who recently moved twice, it's become a love-hate thing.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"You will work there or I will cut you, punk!"

Rex Morgan MD

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

You may be compelled to compare some of the upcoming strips to Stephanie McMillan.

This one in particular.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Garfield Minus Garfield started out as a joke by someone on the internet, but Paws, Inc. (the company which handles Garfield merchandising) 'acquired' the idea and now runs it as an official spin-off online.

Gasoline Alley is full of crazy people, every day.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

[quote="Johnny Walker" post=""4262384"]

Rex Morgan MD

[/quote]

Things have a way of working themselves out :)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Do you also support print newspapers?

Johnny Walker posted:

I support the institutions that newspapers are, and I feel they perform a service that is not performed by other news media, and I hope they figure out a way to make money because I don't want them to go away, but the "print" version of newspapers is not really working anymore.

<snipped>

I live in the Cleveland/Akron, Ohio metro area. I don't subscribe to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, or the Akron Beacon Journal (our remaining big newspapers), but I do subscribe to our local, county-wide newspaper because I am interested in local news that's essentially in my backyard. Cleveland and Akron news I can get online, along with world news via Reuters, etc., but there isn't a very good resource online for news about stuff that happened down the street. So, I'm happy to support print media when it's a necessary resource. Plus the comics section isn't too bad, either. :v:

Sorry, sorry.. I don't mean to keep this discussion alive, but I really do believe print has/had a place in our current society, even with the Interwebs. Here's a fairly recent Gelé to cover my atonement...

IdaEva's comment for the strip: "Happy valentinesSSSssss. I have been spending ma day making pavlova cake and beef stroganoff for my bf and I'm gonna give him a beer boot for him to sip beer from and we're gonna watch The Abyss yeah valentines in yo face *BAM*"

Sounds like an awesome Valentine's to me! :v:

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

I'm sorry sir, your cancer has become much worse.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What's the deal with Emmy Lou, anyway?

Or if you want an actual beer cocktail, there's the rather poorly named Irish car bomb.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

I was liking Four Eyes when I first started posting it, but come on, this is like the billionth time they've done this joke.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Wanamingo posted:

Or if you want an actual beer cocktail, there's the rather poorly named Irish car bomb.

Both are rather poorly named, the Black and Tans being an English paramilitary force whose job was to terrorize Ireland. And ZNJ is really bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocktails have at least three ingredients. If there's just two, it's a mixed drink. There's lots of beer cocktails that are quite tasty. This bar here in DC has a few on the menu that are very good.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I've been away from the thread for a few days, so I kinda skimmed quickly. I might have missed it, so before I pull the trigger has anyone already snagged this?

edit: also, caption suggestions? I was thinking of leaving the title blank and letting the image speak for its self.

No suggestions, but I haven't seen anyone with it, nor anyone talking about buying it.

More Moomin is Required

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think what I like about this is it seems pretty normal, if cranky, in the first two panels and then it's just nuts in the 3rd panel. Nice pacing.

Mr. Squishy posted:

For some reason this arc has really incensed my hostility towards Brooke.

Isn't it basically a phoned in rehash of the previous arc? It definitely sucks, whatever it is. The story makes no sense and the only person who thinks Brooke's characters are sexy is the Grand Master himself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tiggum posted:

Honestly, going by the Dirk Gently rule, where it's better to believe something impossible than something that's merely astronomically improbable*, it's probably wisest to believe in the immortal ghost, because that's frankly less unrealistic than to believe in a family of superheroes who all took up their father's mantle instead of running away and becoming musicians.

* because ghosts being real only requires that there be something out there we don't know about, but believing in an unbroken line of sons all taking up their father's weird oath and then not dying or something is contrary to our knowledge of human nature

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

I was liking Four Eyes when I first started posting it, but come on, this is like the billionth time they've done this joke.

I find it more entertaining as something to smile vaguely at as I scroll past it on Tumblr.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sorry for the delay, but here's Classic Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Sorry for the delay, but here's Classic Prince Valiant

Should we be saving those stamps? I wonder what they were for. Trading cards or something?

• Locked thread