Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

leidend posted:

Why is there a Pacific mall in Toronto anyway?
My wife says it's because it's named for Pacific Place in Hong Kong, which Wikipedia sort of confirms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lobok posted:

Because it caters to people from the Pacific countries. Asians, in other words.

Ah yes, as someone who lives three blocks from the Pacific ocean I am surrounded by asians myself in Vancouver.

Our asian mall (well, most asian mall) is called Aberdeen Centre. I wonder how many Scots wander in.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

leidend posted:

Our asian mall (well, most asian mall) is called Aberdeen Centre. I wonder how many Scots wander in.

Don't be loving ridiculous. Scots don't spend money.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

leidend posted:

Ah yes, as someone who lives three blocks from the Pacific ocean I am surrounded by asians myself in Vancouver.

Have you never been to Crystal Mall?

Aberdeen is also named after the Harbour in Hong Kong, not the Scottish city.

How did this ~Asians~ tangent start, anyway?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Asian male reporting in. I always heard Jackie Chan helped fund Aberdeen Centre. Wonder if there's any truth in that rumour.

E: is there any plan around $25/mo for voice out there?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 12, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Acer Pilot posted:

Asian male reporting in. I always heard Jackie Chan helped fund Aberdeen Centre. Wonder if there's any truth in that rumour.

E: is there any plan around $25/mo for voice out there?

Voice only, there's a rogers plan; $30/mo for 200 minutes, unlimited text, caller ID, voicemail, -$3/mo for bringing your own phone = $27.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Voice only, there's a rogers plan; $30/mo for 200 minutes, unlimited text, caller ID, voicemail, -$3/mo for bringing your own phone = $27.

Bah. Old plan was that but $25 but now they said that our credits have "expired."

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

Bah. Old plan was that but $25 but now they said that our credits have "expired."

Have you tried Speakout Wireless? That's an utterly poo poo plan on Rogers for voice only anyway.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
Haha, unexpected Pacific Mall discussion.

Guys, the tale was about how lovely Nokia was being. PacMall is awesome :) Unless you go there just after a raid and everyone gives you the evil eyes until you leave.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Geektox posted:

Have you never been to Crystal Mall?

Aberdeen is also named after the Harbour in Hong Kong, not the Scottish city.

How did this ~Asians~ tangent start, anyway?

It started like six posts ago when I wondered why there was a mall called "Pacific" in Toronto and apparently it's because people in Toronto think Pacific=asian.

And no I haven't been Crystal Mall, or Aberdeen Centre, and hope to keep it that way.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

leidend posted:

Yaohan Centre dude. No white person has even ever been inside it.

leidend posted:

And no I haven't been Crystal Mall, or Aberdeen Centre, and hope to keep it that way.

Aberdeen Mall has Daiso, which is loving amazing if you need basically anything that costs $5 or less.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Saw this posted in the Canadian politics thread in D&D. Might be of interest to people here who don't follow that thread.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The 2013/2014 wireless spectrum auction has concluded. The winners:

Bell/Rogers/Telus/Qubecor spent 4.4 billion canadian dollars to protect their oligopoly.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I guess the only 2 things I can say about this are

1. Completely unsurprised by the majority of it
2. Good to see Quebecor Media trying to expand out a bit. Give the others a run for their money.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Migishu posted:

1. Completely unsurprised by the majority of it
2. Good to see Quebecor Media trying to expand out a bit. Give the others a run for their money.

1. Yeah. Not like some previously unrevealed contender was about to miraculously manifest and gobble up the spectrum to offer competition.

2. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Jan posted:

2. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Quebecor is no charity, but it's hardly a coincidence that Quebec has one of the better wireless markets in the country. The probability that a cartel member will defect rises as the number of cartel members grows.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest bullshit of the lot was "Oh, we have this 12mhz prime real estate in 3 bands, and we're not going to prevent anyone from buying all 3 bands because why would we want to do that?"

*Rogers eats everything up*

I would've liked to have seen some spread. Makes me worry for the future when phones get released with "700mhz Band A" restrictions because gently caress consumers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why would anyone be excited about Quebecor buying up spectrum? They're like Rogers, only more corrupt and with even more ownership (some might call it tight-fisted control) over the content they are delivering.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

eXXon posted:

Why would anyone be excited about Quebecor buying up spectrum? They're like Rogers, only more corrupt and with even more ownership (some might call it tight-fisted control) over the content they are delivering.

Simple: enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Migishu posted:

I think the biggest bullshit of the lot was "Oh, we have this 12mhz prime real estate in 3 bands, and we're not going to prevent anyone from buying all 3 bands because why would we want to do that?"

*Rogers eats everything up*

I would've liked to have seen some spread. Makes me worry for the future when phones get released with "700mhz Band A" restrictions because gently caress consumers.

Also keep in mind that Bell and Telus share their network with each other so that's essentially one company who purchased virtually all of Band C2, D and E.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

eXXon posted:

I don't know. Reading "Quebec has one of the better wireless markets in the country" just made me throw my hands in the air and walk away. Possibly preceded by some face palming and hysterical laughter.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Jan posted:

I don't know. Reading "Quebec has one of the better wireless markets in the country" just made me throw my hands in the air and walk away. Possibly preceded by some face palming and hysterical laughter.

But... they do. :eng99:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lexicon posted:

Simple: enemy of my enemy is my friend.

As Dick Tracy (Warren Beatty) once said, "The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy."

Rogers delenda est.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to speculate that wireless plans are generally better less bad in Quebec* because of their better consumer protection laws, not because of Quebecor's munificence, but I defer to the expertise of Quebeckers on this matter.

* Excluding Wind/Mobilicity, of course.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Wind owns. 10gb for $40 before they throttle you, and no overage charges.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

We don't have the better discount guys (or do we? I don't know, I don't actually pay my phone) but our plans with the Big 3 are usually a bit cheaper and/or better.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba all have better plans than the rest of Canada thanks to regional carriers with reception that isn't poo poo

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Godinster posted:

Quebec, Saskatchewan and Manitoba all have better plans than the rest of Canada thanks to regional carriers with reception that isn't poo poo

Exactly right. And that's precisely why a Quebecor entry to BC, however evil Quebecor itself may be, is a net positive.

(Assuming they can get a halfway decent network in place)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I had a customer yesterday who had a Thunder Bay regional plan (it had "TBay" in the name) which was (albeit on the 3 year term) 6 GB of data with unlimited nationwide calling, international texting, CD/VM with Bell for $60. That's some crazy poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't understand how the regional carriers only got one block. Is that enough to serve one province?

Telus got 4 blocks in Manitoba and this is the worst place in the country for LTE coverage so I'm glad they are going to put that to good use.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand how the regional carriers only got one block. Is that enough to serve one province?

Telus got 4 blocks in Manitoba and this is the worst place in the country for LTE coverage so I'm glad they are going to put that to good use.

It isn't, but that's the only block that the big 3 couldn't bid for.

Is it :tinfoil: to point at the lack of overlap as an obvious and clear sign of anti-competitive behaviour, or just so obvious that no one bothered?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

eXXon posted:

wireless plans are generally better less bad in Quebec*

Aphrodite posted:

our plans with the Big 3 are usually a bit cheaper and/or better.

Godinster posted:

better plans than the rest of Canada

All these euphemisms almost make it sound like these plans are "good". I just don't have enough Stockholm's Syndrome to call these plans anything other than "complete shite". I was under the mistaken impression that MTS and Sasktel's plans were far better than they actually are, i.e.: comparable to Wind/Mobilicity. When in truth they're just as average as Quebec's.

Don't trust Quebecor. They've been in the cable and Internet business far longer than the mobile phone business, and if their practices there are any indication, they'd gladly join the big 3 in price fixing mobile prices Canada-wide.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Better doesn't mean good.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Better doesn't mean good.

Yeah, seriously. Better is nothing but a relative term. Caracas is a better city to live in than Pyongyang.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

I had a customer yesterday who had a Thunder Bay regional plan (it had "TBay" in the name) which was (albeit on the 3 year term) 6 GB of data with unlimited nationwide calling, international texting, CD/VM with Bell for $60. That's some crazy poo poo.

It was $50 and $55 in the past, too. It's strange but Bell is insanely competitive in Thunder Bay to pull customers from TBaytel. They're offering the full subsidy on devices like Note 3, S4 and iPhones as well with it, foregoing the usual $70/mo requirement.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

All these euphemisms almost make it sound like these plans are "good". I just don't have enough Stockholm's Syndrome to call these plans anything other than "complete shite". I was under the mistaken impression that MTS and Sasktel's plans were far better than they actually are, i.e.: comparable to Wind/Mobilicity. When in truth they're just as average as Quebec's.

Don't trust Quebecor. They've been in the cable and Internet business far longer than the mobile phone business, and if their practices there are any indication, they'd gladly join the big 3 in price fixing mobile prices Canada-wide.

No one said they're good, but they're better than what the rest of us are stuck with. I can't wait for Quebecor to start up in BC.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So Fido apparently let me renew my dad's contract for him.

Before he had 2 $7 discounts but now it's apparently a $5 and $7 discount.

- 200 minutes
- unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 5PM (renewal bonus)
- voicemail
- unlimited local calling between Fido subscribers
- 2500 text messages
- call display (through $7 credit)
- a mysterious $5 (used to be $7)

For a total of $30.24/month after taxes.

Is this a good retention plan? Did we get screwed?

They also want him to pay $25 to get one of these phones for "free":
- HTC Desire
- Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
- Galaxy Ace II X

I have a Nexus 5 personally but my dad won't let me buy him one. Which would be a good phone for him? His only specification was that it be black :smith:

He basically just likes to look at websites on his current crap phone (a Nokia thing with a keyboard).

Thanks for your help goons.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Given his limited needs, that's a good plan. Most plans nowadays are a fair bit more, even for basic needs.

Of the devices, I'm inherently biased because I work for Samsung but get an S3 Mini over the Ace II X in a heartbeat. Not familiar with the Desire, sorry. Fido's phone selection on the lower end isn't terribly vast.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

OilSlick posted:

I have an identical plan with Telus, but I live in Saskatchewan (downside: I live in Saskatchewan). Who'd have thought that when the carriers have to actually compete, it works out for the consumer! :)

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Acer Pilot posted:

They also want him to pay $25 to get one of these phones for "free":
- HTC Desire
- Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
- Galaxy Ace II X

I have a Nexus 5 personally but my dad won't let me buy him one. Which would be a good phone for him? His only specification was that it be black :smith:

He basically just likes to look at websites on his current crap phone (a Nokia thing with a keyboard).

Thanks for your help goons.

Based on his (Silly) requirement, the Desire is out because it only comes in Red and White colors, and the S3Mini is Blue. The Ace 2 X is the worst phone of the three, but it does come in Black. That said, those phones are fairly similar, entry level models. Probably S3 Mini is the best, despite its blueness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
The Ace 2 X isn't a bad phone. Lowest specs of the 3, yes, but I'm assuming this guy's dad is not a giant techno-nerd like the rest of you guys. Given his needs, which sound similar to most middle aged men I deal with, he'd be totally fine with an Ace 2 X. We have very few issues with those phones so far given the large volume of them that we sell.