Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
It's reaching a point where I can't even pretend conservatives are good people who are simply misguided anymore. All I hear is hatred and anger at people who are weaker and more vulnerable then them and anyone who still willingly associates themselves with the current right wing movement is really starting to run out of excuses as to why they aren't simply just terrible human beings who actively want to make people's lives worse.

I hate thinking that way because I know it isn't remotely true and that a large portion of the right wing are just misguided people too tired and busy to pay any attention beyond the soundbites but even then I don't think that's proving to be enough of an excuse anymore.

Media as a whole has reached a point so far beyond simple propaganda that I really hope a bunch of people a whole lot smarter then me come up with something to fix it without relying on government censorship because the amount of pure lies and spite flowing out of mass media should without a doubt be illegal as it is ruining just as many, if not more lives then any other number of crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

beatlegs posted:

So Rush wants more black babies to be born, yet doesn't want them to vote (at least in consequential numbers) or have any significant political influence over society, or be protected from discrimination or inequality by the state.

That's kind of like laying the groundwork for slavery isn't it, or am I crazy?

Excuse me, taxation without representation is why our country was founded. He just wants to water the tree a little bit. That's why he supports open carry laws.

A gigantic picture

Holy hell :stare:, how do I make images fit the size of posts?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Excuse me, taxation without representation is why our country was founded. He just wants to water the tree a little bit. That's why he supports open carry laws.

A gigantic picture

Holy hell :stare:, how do I make images fit the size of posts?

[timg] Will make it auto-adjust.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Also adding the letter "l" (that's L) to the end of the filename (not the extension) will auto format the image to a medium size.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough, but what is with the sudden uptick of conservative radio hosts trying to shrug off legitimate concerns of racism by sarcastically self-referencing conservatives as racists? Today filling in for Herman Cain was another Atlanta host, Eric Ericson, who apparently gets name dropped by Rush, and most of his schtick revolved around this. There was one moment where he had a story about Bush or Cheney and before even getting to whatever point he may have been trying to make, he prefaced his remarks with something along the lines of 'because we like Bush or Cheney and are white republicans that makes us 'racists' (insert rolleyes). I mean, it kind of is the actual definition of racist, but geezus was it still ever irritating to listen to. Sean Hannity had a segment on his radio program today about race and just asking why when you have a conservative African-American (I'm not sure what term he actually used) they get called all sorts of racist stuff by THE LEFT and the NAACP is all crickets and tumbleweeds.

Days after Chris Mapp talks about shooting wetbacks is not the best time to play the race card dudes.

I mean how is this even forward thinking? They only really have a year to try convince people they aren't misogynists, and 6 years tops to convince the hispanic voters that they don't hate them, you would think the talking heads would employ a little strategy. They lost the black race card the second the right rallied around "Magic Negro", at least lie in a way that might be strategic in the near term.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough, but what is with the sudden uptick of conservative radio hosts trying to shrug off legitimate concerns of racism by sarcastically self-referencing conservatives as racists? Today filling in for Herman Cain was another Atlanta host, Eric Ericson, who apparently gets name dropped by Rush, and most of his schtick revolved around this. There was one moment where he had a story about Bush or Cheney and before even getting to whatever point he may have been trying to make, he prefaced his remarks with something along the lines of 'because we like Bush or Cheney and are white republicans that makes us 'racists' (insert rolleyes). I mean, it kind of is the actual definition of racist, but geezus was it still ever irritating to listen to. Sean Hannity had a segment on his radio program today about race and just asking why when you have a conservative African-American (I'm not sure what term he actually used) they get called all sorts of racist stuff by THE LEFT and the NAACP is all crickets and tumbleweeds.

This has been part of the playbook for a while. If you get enough people eyerolling at basic human decency and dismissing it as political correctness gone mad, you make accusations of racism/sexism/etc. look less legitimate.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Every time our local AM "independent" host talks about Obamacare he mentions that when anyone criticizes it they are called racist by the left. It would seem that it's a thing they are doing and the Dr.Zepplin makes a good point as to why.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rip Testes posted:

They're just trying to paint themselves as the victims again by playing the "well we like this guy but you're mad that we like him, he just HAPPENS TO BE a white Republican man." What they won't admit is that part of the reason they like the guy is because he's a wealthy, white, Republican, Christian man. That's pretty racist, you know. Saying that "he's automatically better because of what he is."

Genuinely liking a white person isn't racism if you would like them the same amount if they were not white. The GOP would not like Bush or Cheney if they were not white. That's why they're racists.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I love that picture. It's every conservative's worst nightmare, and yet it's probably the boldest Second Amendment-relate protest we've had. Also the most legitimate: they had every reason to fear the government using disarmament to further subjugate blacks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
More to the point, they would be relatively happy with Obama if he was lily white and not president.

I guess relatively it would be more like in love with him but that has more to do with how lovely they are than anything else.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Genuinely liking a white person isn't racism if you would like them the same amount if they were not white. The GOP would not like Bush or Cheney if they were not white. That's why they're racists.

This is a pretty stupid opinion. The right LOVES African-Americans like Herman Cain and esteemed Dr. Ben Carson. The problem is that the right supports policies that hurt blacks more than whites, for a multitude of reasons only a few of which are explicitly racist. Painting your enemies as simplistic caricatures is a great way to find yourself ignored.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's not like these two examples racial idiocy by the GOP are mutually exclusive. They are demonstrable racists in policy, in subconscious and in the street.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rakovsky maybe posted:

This is a pretty stupid opinion. The right LOVES African-Americans like Herman Cain and esteemed Dr. Ben Carson. The problem is that the right supports policies that hurt blacks more than whites, for a multitude of reasons only a few of which are explicitly racist. Painting your enemies as simplistic caricatures is a great way to find yourself ignored.

I'm pretty sure Herman Cain is the GOP's token black guy. They only keep him around because he agrees with pretty much everything they do and they can point to him and say "See? I'm not racist, I have this black guy here. The GOP is totally inclusive and loves everybody!"

I don't normally paint the people I disagree with as simplistic caricatures but I don't see how it's possible to NOT do that with the GOP. It's a gigantic echo chamber of "gently caress everybody that isn't like me." Look at their talking heads, look at their politicians, look at their voting patterns, look at where the funding comes from. It's the party of old, rich, white guys rigging the system to benefit old, rich, white guys.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure Herman Cain is the GOP's token black guy. They only keep him around because he agrees with pretty much everything they do and they can point to him and say "See? I'm not racist, I have this black guy here. The GOP is totally inclusive and loves everybody!"

They've pretty much completely traded away Herman Cain for Ben Carson now.

Michael Steele is still my favorite hastily chosen token black republican.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Good Citizen posted:

Michael Steele is still my favorite hastily chosen token black republican.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside form the hilarious similarities to a muppet and interesting verbal gaffes (and the BDSM club location for a meeting), wasn't he a tremendously effective RNC chair?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OAquinas posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside form the hilarious similarities to a muppet and interesting verbal gaffes (and the BDSM club location for a meeting), wasn't he a tremendously effective RNC chair?
The exact opposite. He was tremendously ineffective, RNC fundraising cratered, and he had his budgetary authority taken away from him shortly after being appointed.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, he wasn't all that bad. The timing was mostly what made it funny. Hilary fell out of the race and all of a sudden Palin pops up out of no where. Obama became president and then oh look, here comes Michael Steele! It was the golden age of transparent tokenism.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rakovsky maybe posted:

They only "love" them because it makes an easy out against accusations of racism. Neither of them would be known at all if they weren't black because they would just be generic FYGM white guys who couldn't be exploited for political points.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

They only "love" them because it makes an easy out against accusations of racism. Neither of them would be known at all if they weren't black because they would just be generic FYGM white guys who couldn't be exploited for political points.

I actually disagree! Herman "9-9-9" Cain certainly would have made waves, I think.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If that was true Papa John would be the public face of the Anti-ACA effort.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't normally paint the people I disagree with as simplistic caricatures but I don't see how it's possible to NOT do that with the GOP. It's a gigantic echo chamber of "gently caress everybody that isn't like me." Look at their talking heads, look at their politicians, look at their voting patterns, look at where the funding comes from. It's the party of old, rich, white guys rigging the system to benefit old, rich, white guys.

I strongly encourage you then to go outside and maybe talk to a real Republican rather than getting all your news from D&D.

Zealousness with the word "racist" is quickly rendering it about as politically useful and descriptive as the word "fascist". Conservative policies absolutely are racist but most of the rank-and-file aren't actively trying to hurt black people, they're trying to hold onto what they have left as modern finance capitalism sweeps it out from under their feet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rakovsky maybe posted:

I strongly encourage you then to go outside and maybe talk to a real Republican rather than getting all your news from D&D.

I dunno man, he has a pretty accurate picture of all the real Republicans I've talked to.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

rakovsky maybe posted:

I know a whole lot, they act and talk exactly as it's portrayed in D&D. Maybe a little more freaking out about Common Core than I see here but beyond that it's pretty accurate. See look at that, anecdotes for everybody. I'm sure you have some super secret stash of Real America Knowledge I Have Gleaned By Being a True Critical Thinker you can drop on us, though, so please go ahead.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Republicans who aren't like that are legitimate RINOs who would vote Democrat if they didn't have the ideological block that Democrats are bad.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sorry for double post, on phone.

rakovsky maybe posted:

Zealousness with the word "racist" is quickly rendering it about as politically useful and descriptive as the word "fascist". Conservative policies absolutely are racist but most of the rank-and-file aren't actively trying to hurt black people, they're trying to hold onto what they have left as modern finance capitalism sweeps it out from under their feet.

This is the same semantic "we were disenfranchising Democrat voters, not specifically black voters" bullshit. If their policies hurt minorities disproportionately, and they purposely motivate poor white racists to vote using dog whistles about thugs and lazy Wellfare recipients, then why does it matter if they are racist or Racists? What word are we supposed to use to describe racist policies so that we can preserve the value of the word racist so it can properly applied to more racist things in the future? This is a loving ridiculous argument and the only reason the accusation is losing it's edge is because conservatives know how to play their base like a fiddle, and propping up ludicrous black candidates like Herman Cain and Mia Love is a big part of that strategy. Ben Carson is a potentially legitimate candidate, but he wouldn't have his current national profile if he was white.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Mia Love has a much higher chance of being elected to a federal office than Ben Carson.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FMguru posted:

The exact opposite. He was tremendously ineffective, RNC fundraising cratered, and he had his budgetary authority taken away from him shortly after being appointed.

His greatest sin was challenging the legitimacy of the GOP's true thought leader - Rush Limbaugh.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Every time our local AM "independent" host talks about Obamacare he mentions that when anyone criticizes it they are called racist by the left. It would seem that it's a thing they are doing and the Dr.Zepplin makes a good point as to why.

quote:

RUSH: Here's Patty in Longview, Texas. Patty, I'm glad you called. Great to have you on the program. Hello.

CALLER: Hi. Thank you for taking my call. I have a question for you. I'm originally from Honduras, and I truly do not understand how this country is now paralyzed by race, that it now trumps individual liberty. I see that the tactic works, calling somebody a racist, but that's not our benefit, my kids' benefit. None of the elected officials stand up for freedom anymore, and I need to know if it's time to panic.

RUSH: Well, how long have you been...? You say you're from where, did you say?

CALLER: Honduras.

RUSH: Honduras. And how long have you been here?

CALLER: Since '86.

RUSH: Okay. You've been here quite a while. The phenomenon that you've noted is rather recent, 'cause you're absolutely right. The number of elected officials who talk about freedom -- either in an active sense or even theoretically, constitutionally -- is zilch. This country is paralyzed by race because that is the chosen state of the Democrat Party. The Democrat Party has sought to advance itself politically by making as many groups of people victims of the Republicans as possible in people's minds.

The Republicans are all white. The Democrats' message is, "The Republicans are all white. They're all racists. If the Republicans are ever in charge, nobody's gonna have any freedom! Everybody's gonna be a slave. Everybody's gonna be poor. The rich are gonna take everybody's money, and the Democrats are out protecting everybody," and if 51% of Democrats do not know that the earth revolves around the sun once a year, what other stupidity can they be made to believe?

So the Democrats engage in fear and crisis on a daily basis, telling people that vote for them that they are under assault and that their only protection is the Democrat Party. This kind of cultural Balkanism has been chosen as an official policy for the Democrats because it's something they have judged that will be successful in them winning elections and holding power.

CALLER: But it doesn't seem to work when it's somebody like Marco Rubio, who is Cuban, or Ted Cruz.

RUSH: Well, but they are also castigated as racists or elites. Hang on. Have to take an unfortunate break.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Okay, back to Longview, Texas. Patty, are you still there?

CALLER: Yes, I am.

RUSH: Basically I just wanted to tell you that racism has been whipped up by the left, by the Democrat Party as a means of silencing its opponents. The Democrat Party is not about self-reliance and rugged individualism and freedom. They're about dependence. They need people depending on 'em. They don't want people exercising the kind of creative freedom and entrepreneurial freedom that can launch them into a circumstance where they don't need government to get by. The Democrat Party's always been based on racism. They formed the KKK.

The Democrats are the ones that wrote and passed and signed and enforced every Jim Crow law that has ever been in this country. They're the ones that wouldn't let blacks at the University of Mississippi. They're the ones that fire hosed 'em and dogged 'em at Selma. Democrats were the big segregationists, and they have now just turned that around and make that charge of racism everywhere to silence critics. Look how effective it is. There is no criticism of Barack Obama, absolutely none of any substance from the Republican Party because they're so afraid of being called racist. It's that simple. I'm glad you called, Patty. It's a great question. And happy to be able to answer it for you.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/02/26/democrats_use_racism_as_a_tool
therealracists.txt

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Mia Love has a much higher chance of being elected to a federal office than Ben Carson.

Based on? She's crazy as poo poo and couldn't even win a House seat in Utah. Yeah, she lost by relatively few votes, but Utah is blood red.

Ben Carson is incredibly well-spoken and great at pandering. I personally don't think he is interested in running for anything and prefers the money and easiness of being a commentator/orator, but I think he could get elected if he ran. Does he have some problems I'm not aware of?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Based on? She's crazy as poo poo and couldn't even win a House seat in Utah. Yeah, she lost by relatively few votes, but Utah is blood red.

Ben Carson is incredibly well-spoken and great at pandering. I personally don't think he is interested in running for anything and prefers the money and easiness of being a commentator/orator, but I think he could get elected if he ran. Does he have some problems I'm not aware of?

Based on Matheson dropping out and she's favored to win her primary this year. Due to redistricting its her race to lose. See also: Bachmann, Crazyface.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jim Matheson's retiring.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Crossposting this from the Marriage Equality thread because it's just golden. For reference, the Texas ban on gay marriage was struck down as unconstitutional today (though a stay was issued) and Dan Patrick is the Lt. Governor of Texas:

Read very closely and see if you can spot the typo. :allears:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Patrick is just a state senator still. He's running for the Lieutenant Governor position against incumbent David Dewhurst, Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, and definitely-not-pointing-a-gun-at-Obama Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alkydere posted:

Read very closely and see if you can spot the typo. :allears:

Is it that there should be a space between "MARRIAGE" and the equal sign? :ohdear:

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Nice Davis posted:

Patrick is just a state senator still. He's running for the Lieutenant Governor position against incumbent David Dewhurst, Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, and definitely-not-pointing-a-gun-at-Obama Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples.

I actually am a bit more sympathetic about this habit (of Republicans waving guns in the president's general direction), in that I don't think they understand what they're doing at all. I think it's less about insurrection, less about callback to lynching, and more about their mind-boggling and profound lack of respect for guns, and for important things in general. The president is a stand-in for everything they hate, and the firearm is a stand-in for all the positive qualities they do not possess, and also for hope and grace and confidence.

I think if anything they're asserting their right to be impulsive, drunk, manchildren and never have to consider anything or anyone before parading their impressive ignorance and taking a dump on everyone's lawn. If this is not accurate, they need to spew bullshit less. If you go misrepresenting yourself in politics, you can count on your opponents misrepresenting you ten times worse.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
CNN has Ted Nugent on their home page with the line "Is this Mr. America?"

:negative:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nice Davis posted:

It's like a loving SNL skit.

The next clip would be him discussing what went wrong with the ad in front of his campaign advisors.

I literally can't stop laughing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Anyone who wants some conservative on conservative violence Jerry Doyle is currently trashing the Arizona legislation and the people who support it. He said they need to gently caress off to their little nutjob corner and leave people alone.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

nachos posted:

CNN has Ted Nugent on their home page with the line "Is this Mr. America?"

:negative:

Dead or in jail remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anyone who wants some conservative on conservative violence Jerry Doyle is currently trashing the Arizona legislation and the people who support it. He said they need to gently caress off to their little nutjob corner and leave people alone.

He might be a crazy right-winger, but it's nice to know that Mr. Garabaldi isn't a total piece of poo poo.

Edit: With Jan Brewer vetoing the GLBT discrimination bill in Arizona and the federal judge tossing Texas' gay marriage ban, I can not loving wait to listen to all of the wailing on right-wing talk radio tomorrow.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 27, 2014