Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Grabbed a HobbyPeople Hunter brushless short course truck on sale for 200 dollars last week. I'm having a loving blast. I was told there weren't many upgrades for it when I bought it, but then later I've been told many things do in fact fit. I hope this isn't the beginning of some rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Cheap little brushless trucks are so much fun. Here's mine skipping around on top of some snow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYTIt_5biU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bisticles posted:

Cheap little brushless trucks are so much fun. Here's mine skipping around on top of some snow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYTIt_5biU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRXuyBOyow

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Evil_Ash posted:

Time to do the "hood mod" and run your battery upfront. I run 3S up there no problem.

Yup. That is coming up next :)

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
wraiths finally done, still thinking on better mounting of the front hood, don't want to use pins. Shoegooing the Velcro on the bottom might help. Took it to the nitro track on Friday and a friend took some pictures, hope to see some nitro pics soon. :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That looks really trick. Must be some money wrapped up in that badboy, I see lots of Vanquish!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That wraith is looking dang good! Not R/C cars but we became a direct distributor for DJI Innovations and got our first order this week. A Phantom 2 + gimbal and Hero3+ black followed me home. drat this thing is amazing and AWESOME! I'll get some photos posted soon. If anyone is looking for one, feel free to check out our site, free shipping, etc.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Who lost his mind? I did. I'm now addicted. I have 2 TB02s, one using a 550 motor and the all ENTIRELY aluminum, and like 5 TT01 variants, with oh my god so many wheels and batteries and and.

Fun as poo poo. So, time to move on, I just won:

Some nitro stuff.

And now am going to obtain a Traxxas XO1 soon, along with some form of ~30cc 1/5 vehicle. leaning Losi but idk the Chimera looks p cool. Of course I'm going to lose my loving head and buy a supercharger and bullet nitrous kit for whatever 1/5 I end up with, so I'm jut loving crazy I guess.

This is what happens when you're a 15 year heroin junkie who has an epiphany and just quits, not because of money or family or anything, and still has the good job and money and poo poo to just dive in to everything the hole in my arm made my miss. Sweet as hell. I'll get a gopro mounted on the XO1 when I do a 100+mph run

Also looking to get a good rock crawler (AX10 or so) and put some of those mattrack-like track on it. I could even use a Tamiya hi-lift and put a front axle in the rear to have rear steer. (there's a FOrd F350 hilift with a working plow on ebay I'm eyefucking right now.....)

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 9, 2014

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That looks really trick. Must be some money wrapped up in that badboy, I see lots of Vanquish!

Still waiting on the 5mm vvds, I know it's over kill with the parts but does it ever look sexy, and I can use the spare parts from the kit to make a mud truck :)

The only real problem is finding a nice spot to crawl, have to explore soon before it really heats up here.

My home in Canada will have its TTC when I return for the summer, got some extra time in at work as well, thinking about giving my scx10 a vanquish treatment. Going to remove the heavy hilux body however, I was thinking about one of those proline ford f-250 cabs.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Method Loser posted:

Who lost his mind? I did. I'm now addicted. I have 2 TB02s, one using a 550 motor and the all ENTIRELY aluminum, and like 5 TT01 variants, with oh my god so many wheels and batteries and and.

Fun as poo poo. So, time to move on, I just won:

Some nitro stuff.

And now am going to obtain a Traxxas XO1 soon, along with some form of ~30cc 1/5 vehicle. leaning Losi but idk the Chimera looks p cool. Of course I'm going to lose my loving head and buy a supercharger and bullet nitrous kit for whatever 1/5 I end up with, so I'm jut loving crazy I guess.

This is what happens when you're a 15 year heroin junkie who has an epiphany and just quits, not because of money or family or anything, and still has the good job and money and poo poo to just dive in to everything the hole in my arm made my miss. Sweet as hell. I'll get a gopro mounted on the XO1 when I do a 100+mph run

Also looking to get a good rock crawler (AX10 or so) and put some of those mattrack-like track on it. I could even use a Tamiya hi-lift and put a front axle in the rear to have rear steer. (there's a FOrd F350 hilift with a working plow on ebay I'm eyefucking right now.....)

Post pics of dat poo poo.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

front wing flexing posted:

Post pics of dat poo poo.

Well there's some nitro traxxas thing tomorrow coming and then theres some boring old nitro losi on wednesday (oh and i forgot i had a nitro rs4 too sitting here, which I dilike) so let me get them all together in some sort of cash-burning pile with the onroads. I have a few light kits, one on a old m3 in neon orange and one on a subablue sti wagon. also a metallic purple 70 charger and oh god i've ended up with like ten chassis, 2-3 bodies per chassiss, and then of course 2 or 3 sets of wheels per body.

I'm going to have to dedicate a new room to this poo poo. At least we're expanding the house (and I'm getting a 2 post lift for my now >600hp 300zx (did I mention quitting heroin is the best poo poo ever, you can still waste the money just you have poo poo to show for it))
Did I mention I also went off the deep end in another way and am recieving a 4 WATT (4000mW) blue laser with a manual focus tomorrow too? That should make for some cool pictures, too. How can I mount that and a gopro on a Traxxas XO-1....

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Congrats on kicking that addiction. I lost an old band mate to it.

If you are going to track a vehicle I recommend an SCX10. A buddy of mine has a tracked truck and it's great.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 10, 2014

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Holy Crap that is amazing!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
You guys make my basher stampede look like kids stuff. I did just upgrade to a 3s 5000mah lipo and put a neat looking raptor body on it.

Its a beast now. It'll hold a wheelie for as long as I can keep the trigger down. I've already broken a few things just getting used to the speed.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's my wraith:

Rest of the pics from that day: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203423498727006.1073741837.1198555411&type=1&l=b987c4380f

We've been having pretty huge groups on trail runs. Its pretty awesome. Hard to get pics of everyone though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I've had time with my DHK short course, I really like it. I've upgraded the motor to a Castle and switched out the steering box with a digital one (I broke the stock one). I've been very abusive, and I've broken the rear arm mount and the front hub. It has been really easy to get back up and going since I live close to Hobby People.
My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be much of an aftermarket for it, but they did have aluminum DHK shocks vs the stock plastic ones that fit nicely and were much more stiff. Anyone else have one of these and have they seen what can fit in these things for upgrades?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I built an RC4WD Gelande 2 Land Rover last week and the truck is awesome. Here are a couple pics I shot (it's for an upcoming BSRC article I'm doing). I beat the crap out of it (this was hard to do at first due to the awesome body) and the truck is a tank. I don't even mind the rock rash as it now looks "worn in".

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, can't wait to read the article. I've been eyeing one for quite a while now. I'd love to hear about how it handles compared to an SCX10.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Ooh, can't wait to read the article. I've been eyeing one for quite a while now. I'd love to hear about how it handles compared to an SCX10.

It's a badass truck. I thought it would drive similar to the SCX10 but I was off. Everything on the truck is machined (very nice machine work at that) and there is the hardbody (with full interior) so it's a heavy rig. The chassis mounting steering with panhard bar is also really cool. The truck doesn't have the same performance level of the scx10 but it's more like a 1:1 and is a total blast to drive.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

It's a badass truck. I thought it would drive similar to the SCX10 but I was off. Everything on the truck is machined (very nice machine work at that) and there is the hardbody (with full interior) so it's a heavy rig. The chassis mounting steering with panhard bar is also really cool. The truck doesn't have the same performance level of the scx10 but it's more like a 1:1 and is a total blast to drive.

It's on the list of want to buy, maybe next Christmas, to many projects for me to add to another, that and the wife will murder me.

I really need to stop following your stuff though ColonelJohnMatrix, cause every time I look at your posts or articles I go "I want that"

Already had the spare axles, wraith tranny, and shocks. Also on the waiting list for some narrowed emaxx tires. My only challenge really is what body to get.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sweet Barbarian man! Welcome to the Mega Truck movement! With the G6/mud bog only weeks away I really need to test mine in the mud...if only the weather would stay above freezing for a few days in a row.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is a mega truck anyway? I've seen people mention it a few times and looked at some, but I don't totally get what defines one.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

What is a mega truck anyway? I've seen people mention it a few times and looked at some, but I don't totally get what defines one.

It's basically a mini monster truck that's built for mud racing/jumping. Most weigh about half as much as a monster truck but pack the same 1,500 hp. They are pretty wild to see in person because they spend as much time flying as they do in the mud.

EDIT - Here's a little piece I wrote about them that includes video - http://www.bigsquidrc.com/everybodys-scalin-for-the-weekend-viva-la-mega-truck/

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
let me know how your testing goes, looking forward to building up the roller, only thing stopping me from buying the vanquish stage one kit on rpp is the fact I saw them put up pitbull 1.9 growlers in the latest items, but still out of stock.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Anybody else at PNB today?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Sadly I couldn't make it. But I'm thinking about driving down on Sunday to watch some of the races with my kids.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Participated in the Tamiya Chamipionship Series at their main track in So Cal. It was pretty drat fun. My first race ever so I was in the Spec/Novice class which I won handily. Got a TT02 kit as a prize and a sweeet rear end medal. I kind of feel like an rear end in a top hat though cause even though I was new, my competition was non existent. A teenage girl, a lady in her 50's and a teenage kid. On to GT3. This poo poo is addictive.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What have I done...I've got a 12R5.1 pan car on the way.

I've always wanted one since before I started touring car racing, and I've painted up so many over the winter I found a good deal online to try out in club racing over the summer (1/12th is growing bigstyle in the UK).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Nothing? OK, have an RC10 Classic fitted with all the JConcepts parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjnHj3Rr_w

accompanying blog post/review: http://rcracingtv.net/2014/04/rc10-classic-the-jconcepts-bling-ification-realization/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

krushgroove posted:

What have I done...I've got a 12R5.1 pan car on the way.

I've always wanted one since before I started touring car racing, and I've painted up so many over the winter I found a good deal online to try out in club racing over the summer (1/12th is growing bigstyle in the UK).

I was thinking of doing 1/12th at a new indoor track in my town. But after seeing all the work that goes into the car, like checking wheel diameter and roll out after every race.

Thus I just moved up to 17.5 Blinky Touring Car

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

krushgroove posted:

accompanying blog post/review: http://rcracingtv.net/2014/04/rc10-classic-the-jconcepts-bling-ification-realization/

Just googled the 12R5.1, man they look like fun to drive. any motor or class limits? Not really a touring car fan other than watching them run. man though i love front wheel or rear wheeled on-road cars *hugs his M05*

I'm still kinda hung up on a body for my mega truck, just about got all the stuff to make it a roller/slider. Just unsure what would fit nice since its wheelbase is 13 to 13 and a half inches and there's not really a decent hobbyshop here to try and mach one up.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

I was thinking of doing 1/12th at a new indoor track in my town. But after seeing all the work that goes into the car, like checking wheel diameter and roll out after every race.

Thus I just moved up to 17.5 Blinky Touring Car

Yeah I have no intention of calculating roll-out and all that stuff, too much work! But if you go to people at the club they'll tell you what tires to get (brand and compound) and someone with a tire truer will cut the wheels down to the right size, if you get them a soda or something. If you have a few sets of tires you can sort of amortize the wear across several sets so you don't have too much wear on one set. Then all you have to worry about is chunking the side of a tire, and if you're lucky you can even find the bit of foam that came off and glue it back on.

HoWSeR posted:

Just googled the 12R5.1, man they look like fun to drive. any motor or class limits? Not really a touring car fan other than watching them run. man though i love front wheel or rear wheeled on-road cars *hugs his M05*

There's a shop nearby that does drift, crawling and mini racing all inside, I want to get a FWD mini to play around with :) The 1/12th cars can be real nightmares but I think if you get the setup right (which is why I got the most popular model you can get) and right tires at the right size you're OK. I think the most popular class at the club level is 17.5 blinky, but Mod is the pro class of course.

Before I can race I have a couple of other kits to build though...plus I have to break it to my fiance that I want to race :P

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

krushgroove posted:

UHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, gently caress that's sexy looking.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

6675636b20796f75 posted:

UHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, gently caress that's sexy looking.

Yeah I'm actually loathe to run it! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Got my RC12R5.1 cars yesterday...I can see why this poor guy wanted to sell it off:

• positive camber in the front (reverse-coned tires!)...I can't imagine what driving that is like
  • steering servo not centered, so steering would always just feel off
  • back of chassis/front of motor pod dragged on the ground (covered in gunk), so over the bumps it would be a nightmare
  • chunked tires...hopefully he sold off his race tires to someone else
  • missing side spring...again, hopefully they just got lost and he wasn't trying to drive it like that
Basically just all levels of hurt! I'm hoping the electronics he included work OK>

So...time for a teardown and rebuild! I got a really good deal though:
2 complete cars (both are missing side springs), no broken parts, just need to check o-rings and stuff like that
Savox 1/12th servo (need to change it for the Futaba servo everyone recommends)
2 GM 10.5 motors (don't know the condition)
Core RC 45R speedo (good for 10.5 and 13.5 racing, I'm told)
NVision 90c 1S 6400mAh pack
full set of tires and a pair of rears (will use for display, they're probably useless to me)
3 practice bodies, 2 of which are the PROTOform AMR (what everyone runs)

Got a busy weekend ahead...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I did my first review for Big Squid over the weekend, the new Axial SCX10 C/R Edition. http://www.bigsquidrc.com/review-axial-scx10-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-cr-edition-rtr/ It's a nice piece and the lights/tires are very cool but I hope the SCX10 gets an update soon.

Hey Krush, any word on when the Octane is coming down the pike? Also, any chance you'd be up for interview when it does?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hey Krush, any word on when the Octane is coming down the pike? Also, any chance you'd be up for interview when it does?

I think Tower is due to have theirs by the end of the month? Early/first week of May for sure.

And yeah, you can shoot me an email with any questions: frank at hpiracing.com should work

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got some driving in today...

Also was given this today:

Does anyone know anything about building boats from plans? All I have to do is add a hull skin, hardware like running lights and seats, rudder bits, electronics and twin motors...

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Life's been busy, but these RC things are amazing. I promise this weekend I'll make a huge pile of my RC stuff and get a pic for y'all. Haven't bought anything new, but still eyeing a XO-1. The goddamn starter motor for my Losi managed to back all three screws out and pop itsself off, and jesus christ it's a whore to remount aligned right, I may have to just take the engine out of the chassis to remount it when I get the hardware kit I ordered in. Annoying little breaky poo poo, why are you so fun.

Anyway, so, what would you all suggest for a 4wd onroad nitro car, hmmmm?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Oh man, 1/8th GT onroad is my favorite car type. Wish it was raced locally because they are so much fun to drive. What are you looking to do with it? Race or Play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
Really just play. As far as I know there's no organized poo poo around me.