Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ought ten posted:

I probably can't get up there until Tuesday, maybe Monday night at the earliest. I mean I could walk but :effort:. So if someone else wants to jump on this first I won't stand in the way. If it's still around in a couple days I'll come get it.

If you can come Tuesday evening that'd work pretty well, especially if later in the evening. I found some antifreeze and other useful stuff too. Shoot me a PM with your contact info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is... is spring coming? It's gonna be solid 50s/60s all week, does that kind of weather hold here around this time of year?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Hahaha, not likely. It'll probably bounce back and forth between nice and cold for a few weeks until all of a sudden it's 80's-90's and super high humidity and you'll wonder what happened to the spring. But we should get more frequent bursts of nice weather like this week from here on out (and notice, even this 'nice' week had snow this morning).

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
It's a trick to get you pulling out your warm weather gear. It'll remain annoyingly cold and rainy at least till April. I suspect this might be one of those blizzard-in-mid-march years.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My tombstone will say "died of cabin fever"

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

There's only one cure for cabin fever. It's going to be 60 on Saturday, who wants to ride?

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Figures I'm moving on sat... At least moving the bike to the new place will be easy :unsmith:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I have to work Saturday morning and probably won't get off until 2 at the earliest. I'm going to try to go for a ride tomorrow, just in case anybody else has the day off.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I have every day off. It's look like there might be some rain though.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

We going tomorrow? Small chance of rain midday but not much.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Sure, I don't mind getting a little wet either way. What time/place do you want to meet?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Maybe not too early. Let it warm up a bit. I'm looking at routes now. Thinking north maybe but it's such a wasteland that direction. I think anything dirt will probably be too muddy for my tires tomorrow.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Sure, let me know what you decide. I have some errands I should do in the morning anyways.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Okay, two rough ideas, neither very long.

This one goes goes north and we can hit whites ferry and river road: http://goo.gl/maps/50LYd

This one is a variation on our last trip: http://goo.gl/maps/wpdK2

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Either of those is fine with me. If we do the north route I know I nicer route between Takoma Park and River Rd that would let us skip 495. I should be able to start any time after about 10.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Can we get a sand/salt on the road report when you get back? You know, for all us non-dual sport/off road guys, thanks.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

Either of those is fine with me. If we do the north route I know I nicer route between Takoma Park and River Rd that would let us skip 495. I should be able to start any time after about 10.

Yeah that was just a rough idea, wasn't actually planning to take the beltway.

It's coming down pretty good here and radar makes it look like we'll have a couple more hours at least. Let's wait until 11 or so and see how it looks then. I don't mind getting rained on but seems silly to head out in the middle of it.

McLaren we'll get your roads report. It was pretty salty a couple weeks ago. This rain should do some good though.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I was thinking the same about trying to let most of this storm pass. Another option if we just want to do something shorter is to ride around some of the park roads in the area like this: http://goo.gl/maps/XWrsH

I think the roads around Military Rd on that route are supposed to be a bit fun but I've never ridden on them before.

E: Also, something just came up and the earliest I'll be able to head out is around 12:30 now anyways.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 19, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

12:30 works. You have PMs? We should move this to text. I don't think I have your number.

Doing the park would be fun. Parts of Beach Drive were definitely in dualsport condition last time I rode them.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

12:30 works. You have PMs? We should move this to text. I don't think I have your number.

Doing the park would be fun. Parts of Beach Drive were definitely in dualsport condition last time I rode them.

Sent

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Crossposting from the sumo thread. River Road was a huge mess. I'd give it 8 out of 10 dualsports. I barely held on and it was great. Felt like the rear never really hooked up the whole time we were riding. Definitely got the rear end loose on a couple turns. And the front too. Koruthaiolos has a picture of me covered in mud, hopefully he'll post it.

McLaren, the roads are pretty good otherwise. There's still some grit and in a few places big piles of salt, but it's 95%. One big rainstorm and I think it will be all clear. Get those bikes out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How was the pothole situation? Where I live there's giant chunks missing out of the asphalt everywhere.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Potholes weren't a problem on the roads we went on (except for River Rd, but that's basically all one pothole on the good days anyways). They're probably worse in the city, though. Also, I find potholes much worse in my car than on the bike. If your driving around at all you'll probably have a pretty good idea how bad they are where you are.

The salt and sand situation was actually a lot better than I expected. I think having the rain storm today to melt the snow and wash away the grit really helped.

Here's the picture I got of ought ten. I wish we got one of the back, it was even worse:

I screwed up and wore my commuting gear - I don't think there's any way I'll be able to get it clean by tomorrow. I tried rinsing everything off in the shower but no matter how much I spray it down it just keeps pouring off gray dust. I wish it had rained more on the way back home.

Sumo front fenders also do a great job of directing spry directly into your visor. I felt half blind on the way back.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, by the time I walked in a was just trailing a cloud of that gray dust. Hilariously fun ride.

I forgot to mention that Koru almost got smeared by an old lady running a red light. And then we did the most sumo thing ever: we rode on a sidewalk to get between two dead end streets where we needed to go.

edit: Haha I just realized the back of my hair is totally caked in mud.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 20, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Where are you in this picture, I can't see you. You should get some hiviz gear bro.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I'm standing right behind the bimmer rider who spilled his latte all over himself.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

ought ten posted:

I forgot to mention that Koru almost got smeared by an old lady running a red light.
Ah jeez, I think I was trying to forget that. Since last Friday I've seen 5 people run a red light I was at. Three of them the person came to a complete stop, waited 10 seconds, then just drove through the light.

And yeah, mud in my hair and all over the back padding of my helmet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HNasty posted:

Where are you in this picture, I can't see you. You should get some hiviz gear bro.
I wanted to say he looked like Tsaven :iceburn:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Hey ought ten, this article might be of interest to you, especially the map:

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/21794/virginias-unpaved-roads-bill-acknowledges-that-its-not-all-about-cars/

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yes please. When can we start?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I wanna come too but I need serious work on my off road riding skills.

Kernel
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm currently seriously considering moving to the DC area and I was wondering how the riding is around there. Any particularly cool areas or good roads? Also I do like riding off road, are there any good off road riding areas?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is great riding about an hour outside of DC in Virginia. If you keep going into WV there are some really beautiful, curvy roads. Read through this thread for some of the routes we did group rides on last year. DC itself is absolutely horrible though. LOTS of traffic and aggressive drivers that literally try to kill you. The sheer volume of traffic here will test your patience.

I can't comment on offroad stuff but I'm sure ought ten and Koru will chime in. They've been doing the sumo thing on some cool dirt roads lately.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
And at the moment all the good roads are covered in sand and gravel and potholes. Be that way till late April at least.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, as mentioned there are a lot of good roads once you get out of DC proper. And there are some really fantastic rides once you get out into western VA, MD and into West Virginia.

Ought ten and I have been exploring mostly gravel roads in the area, and there are a surprisingly large amount not more than an hour out of the city (see a couple of posts up for an article and map of them I posted). There are also some ORV trails out in the Shenandoahs and western Maryland, but we haven't made it out that far yet. Budds Creek is a pretty well know MX track that's not too far out of the city as well if that's more your thing.

Overall I'd say it's not a bad area for riding as long as you know going in that any kind of riding (or driving for that matter) inside or in the vicinity of the beltway is going to be absolutely horrendous. There are a few park roads and such that are ok, but even those can get crowded and are much too short.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Not having lived anywhere else, my totally uninformed opinion is that DC is the major metropolitan area on the east coast with the best riding nearby. It's an hour away or more, but I don't think you can do much better.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I started riding in New Jersey (and by riding I mean playing dodge the potholes) and the roads here in the DC area are so much better.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

ought ten posted:

Not having lived anywhere else, my totally uninformed opinion is that DC is the major metropolitan area on the east coast with the best riding nearby. It's an hour away or more, but I don't think you can do much better.

This, outside of San Fran/ LA best major city for good riding near by.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Question for people who live or have lived in DC proper. Below is a picture of my building's alley. Through that green door is the locked area I keep my bike in. Over the winter, the trashmen kept putting the dumpster in front of it, creating a cover area for people to poo poo and have sex in. Does anyone have any ideas to keep the dumpsters set up like they are in this picture? All I can think of so far is to build something that stops the dumpsters from being placed on the left, like a row of cinder blocks.

Also, if anyone is wondering - I have called DPW to clean/disinfect the alley so that's a start. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it moving forward?

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hot sauce posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it moving forward?

Install a bollard for the trash truck and a motion activated light for the sex and poo poo.

Either that or a bunch of condoms and a smarmy "who's up for a threesome :heysexy:" pickup line for the sex. Your choice.

• Locked thread