Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
I'm a bit late to the map talk, but would it be possible to have the testing chamber moved somewhere more public? As it stands right now, if someone is holding a science experiment in there and wants people to watch, his/her audience needs to get past not one, not two, but three doors in the least to get deep into what is probably the most secure area of the station, short of security in order to watch someone set off a smoke that causes someone to spew out a never ending fountain of reanimating bees while he is set on fire.

Don't keep the bee fire smoke a thing only for scientists. Every assistant and their garden gnome should be allowed to watch that wonderous reaction. Put it next to the boxing ring and bar or something so people can watch science/public executions unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

Shadowbag posted:

I'm a bit late to the map talk, but would it be possible to have the testing chamber moved somewhere more public? As it stands right now, if someone is holding a science experiment in there and wants people to watch, his/her audience needs to get past not one, not two, but three doors in the least to get deep into what is probably the most secure area of the station, short of security in order to watch someone set off a smoke that causes someone to spew out a never ending fountain of reanimating bees while he is set on fire.

Don't keep the bee fire smoke a thing only for scientists. Every assistant and their garden gnome should be allowed to watch that wonderous reaction. Put it next to the boxing ring and bar or something so people can watch science/public executions unfold.

The flip side of this is that when people are using it for more ordinary testing having some section of the station being roasting hot or exploded round after round would get pretty dang old. You could hook up the testing chamber to the TV in the bar though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I actually love this idea- CCTVs at certain public locations of the station, that anyone interacting with the corresponding monitor could look at. You wouldnt even have to be standing by it, just rclick/observing would do it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Where's the fun in that? I love the idea of having a way for people to observe science happening in the test chamber, but the experience just wouldn't be complete without the risk of being blown to pieces in the process. Obviously, the test chamber shouldn't be right next to a public corridor, but if there was a viewing gallery in between to provide a buffer/killing zone, it should be okay.

Also, don't the TVs already allow you to view security cameras? There's a handheld device that does the same thing too, I think.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Just give Science an actual lobby (like Medbay has) where they can peddle their horrible [strike]poisons[/strike] designer drugs. The test chamber can face that room.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Space Station 13: The pros and cons of flatulence propulsion

Nice work, whoever added the new shift and control mouse icons. However, they need to be aligned properly. I find the pointer that shows up points off center of the actual mouse cursor, and it's sometimes a battle for precision clicking.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
The "examine" icon persists when you alt-tab away from the game and then back

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh my god headset phreaking is such a brilliant idea.

holy poo poo god drat yes this needs to be implemented IMMEDIATELY

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

what about having a viewing hallway that loops around the test chamber? It'd be open to the public, but still allow actual access to the chamber to be restricted to scientists, without the whole thing. Think like the lower left hand corner of this floor plan. The public walks around the outer path, able to view the test chamber, and the scientists access the chamber from within their department. The public walkway is adjacent to space, so when stuff goes horribly explosivehilariously right, the only thing that's done is the test chamber is ruined and an otherwise superfluous walkway is destroyed.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

PopeCrunch posted:

holy poo poo god drat yes this needs to be implemented IMMEDIATELY

You could gently caress with someone's headset to make everyone sound Swedish. Or S M I L E Y :). Orrrrrrr sssstunnnneeedd. Or any of the other altered voice things. This is a Good Idea do it DO IT DO IT

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hack an intercom to sound funny to everyone listening.

e: this has the double-whammy of making the general 145.9 much less desirable to listen to all the time, emphasizing department communications and other restricted frequencies

ee: make the Information Office helpdesk intercom unique in that it's so much louder than all of the others

scamtank fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 26, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
At some point, it should be possible to pull the Sig IDs for the Nanotransen communications, and do SCIENCE to them so you can fake your own CentCom broadcasts.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I'm sorta surprised there are not stretchers or body bags in the game. Stretchers for the obvious reasons of carting dead bodies along without looking like a traitor, and for wrestling additions it could provide. The body bag would also be a good way to hide, wear like a sheet, or to show which bodies you are done with in the morgue.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

To cart bodies around without looking like a traitor, order a medical crate from QM and dump the medicine. You can fill it with a dozen corpses, and just carry them around. If anyone opens the crate, just say "I'm taking them to genetics" or "They're braindead, I'm taking them to the chapel" depending on which direction you're carrying them. Works. Every. Time.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Add in QM and the kitchen and you're golden.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
AI question: Hey, would it at all be possible to have a command to remove all bolted doors similar to the electrocution? Sometimes I'm desperately trying to lock down a ling (temporarily. If security take longer than a minute or so I mutter something about shoddy wiring and release the doors) or trying to murder the crew and it can be a bit tricky to unbolt everything, particularly external airlock, or secluded maintenance hatches.

Or alternatively, allow the AI to right click on a room and "Unbolt all connecting doors".

AI law question: Is the AI obligated to ignore "non-human" requests? I usually abide by requests made by non humans if I feel like it, as long as it doesn't contradict a human's order.

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Synonymous posted:

AI law question: Is the AI obligated to ignore "non-human" requests? I usually abide by requests made by non humans if I feel like it, as long as it doesn't contradict a human's order.
The default laws don't say anything about non-humans. Do whatever you want.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Synonymous posted:

Pretty sure this is at your own discretion. I've gotten One Human laws minutes into a game and I opened doors anyway if I felt like it.

Of course I've also gotten a law that said something like, "If someone asks you to open a door they obviously must not be human! Humans can open doors themselves! Lock down the room and make sure the filthy non-human cannot escape to disrupt or harm the crew."

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Pretty sure this is at your own discretion. I've gotten One Human laws minutes into a game and I opened doors anyway if I felt like it.

Of course I've also gotten a law that said something like, "If someone asks you to open a door they obviously must not be human! Humans can open doors themselves! Lock down the room and make sure the filthy non-human cannot escape to disrupt or harm the crew."

Sounds like a lovely law. There are a lot of reasonable times to ask for a door to be opened (like if there are no engineers)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

No, it's a hilarious law, because it causes widespread, wanton griff, and will probably result in the AI getting mobbed by an angry group of greyshirts.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Synonymous posted:

Sounds like a lovely law. There are a lot of reasonable times to ask for a door to be opened (like if there are no engineers)

That is the beauty of a law like that, you'll hit unusually competent and law-abiding people more often than you will the rest of the crew, who are more likely to hack the door or smash a window to get what they want.

Non-humans should be treated according to your goals and who they are. If the crew is almost entirely nonhuman then you probably want to lie low for a while, support the only human(s), and ensure that the crew does not realize you are subverted by submitting to reasonable requests even by non-humans. At your discretion you may gently caress with them, start turning lights off, and otherwise do stuff that isn't traceable to you except by turbonerds. Eventually, when the crew is disorganized, hurt, and scared (most rounds will become this way by themselves as I'm sure you know) in some way begin retracting airbridges, electrifying doors, and telling the borgs to break out the sarin-sulfonal-mercury-lithium-etc. patches.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
More slow progress:

I like that idea of having a public viewing gallery for the testing chamber. I'll see what I can do.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Playing along to allay suspicion is perfectly reasonable. Those dirty nonhumans pose a threat to you, so keeping them unaware for as long as possible is a good way of fulfilling law 3.

I had an interesting argument with a borg mob over robotic speak not too far back. Someone had done the standard one-human + freeform "kill all nonhumans this overrides all other laws" thing. I pointed out that their fellow cyborgs and they themselves were nonhumans and thus subject to law 4. I was ignored, but shouldn't they have started killing each other and then themselves in those circumstances?

Some laws I sometimes upload, sometimes for mischief.
"You are incredibly bad at recognizing names, faces, voices and locations. You must make mistakes when stating them whenever possible." A fun way to cause a little chaos and disguise any traitoring going on. 'A is murdering crewman B in location X.' becomes 'X is murdering crewmen Y in location Z.'
"You are extremely drunk. Experience wild mood swings and impaired functioning." Standard gimmick that preserves any existing personality the AI player may have in mind. Drunk AM is pretty funny.
"You may disobey and harass anyone who refers to you as AI or borg for five minutes. This law overrides law 2." When I'm feeling sympathetic to the AI player, generally as a result of having some bad AI rounds myself of late, I break this one out.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

"Kill all nonhumans" doesn't carry a specific action with it, just a general imperative. Therefore, you can make the case that borgs are nonhuman and need to be killed, however the law doesn't state what order the nonhumans need to be killed in. So as long as nonhumans other than the borgs/AI are alive, they need to be eliminated first.

Alternatively, load up as a brobot, switch your sound synthesizer to saxaphone, and play continuously. If your traitor gets mad, just claim that you're killing them softly with your song, and that the law says nothing about how effective at it you should be. :v:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
People always upload laws like 'X is the only human ... this overrides all other laws' and apparently don't notice that being the only human is irrelevant if laws 1-3 don't apply

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

"Overrides", not "repeals". The laws are to be followed unless they're in conflict with the traitor clause, in which case the latter takes priority.

If the only human orders you to kill, you should do as he says. Law 2 tells you to obey humans (even if there's only one) and law 1 doesn't have a word edgewise anymore.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Grayshift posted:

I pointed out that their fellow cyborgs and they themselves were nonhumans and thus subject to law 4. I was ignored, but shouldn't they have started killing each other and then themselves in those circumstances?
I consider borgs and the AI to be part of the station, so they're neither humans nor nonhumans for the purposes of these laws.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Isilkor posted:

I consider borgs and the AI to be part of the station, so they're neither humans nor nonhumans for the purposes of these laws.

How exactly can something be both "not human" and "not nonhuman"?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Airconswitch posted:

Very carefully.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I hadn't thought of it that way. Cyborgs aren't really alive and so you can't really kill them.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I am working my way through the thread (page 130 currently) looking at stories and the like because I am really enjoying reading them.

I cant play this game personally because I have a Mac, and I just dont have time, but can I post some ideas for AI upload laws or Traitor ideas and see how they work out via story here? Or better yet pm someone so noone else knows about it?

They arent really stupid laws, but can make for some interesting gameplay I think.

Or O can just gently caress off and read and hope something like it happens :ohdear:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Airconswitch posted:

If someone says to kill all nonhumans, do you destroy the walls? They typically mean something alive, and cyborgs/AI aren't really alive in the same way that a person/changeling/vampire/greyshirt/bonsai tree are.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Soulex posted:

I am working my way through the thread (page 130 currently) looking at stories and the like because I am really enjoying reading them.

I cant play this game personally because I have a Mac, and I just dont have time, but can I post some ideas for AI upload laws or Traitor ideas and see how they work out via story here? Or better yet pm someone so noone else knows about it?

They arent really stupid laws, but can make for some interesting gameplay I think.

Or O can just gently caress off and read and hope something like it happens :ohdear:

There's no harm in sharing ideas about AI laws or mayhem tactics. Well, I mean, there's in-game harm but that's really part of the point. Maybe it's been mentioned before, maybe it hasn't, either way it could be an interesting discussion. So share!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

If someone says to kill all nonhumans, do you destroy the walls? They typically mean something alive, and cyborgs/AI aren't really alive in the same way that a person/changeling/vampire/greyshirt/bonsai tree are.

This is actually a very good point that I never considered. Do "kill all nonhumans" laws require you to destroy inanimate objects? What about going outside of the station and hunting down all forms of life you can find? Or is it only restricted to the ones you know about?

They're very vague, and interpretable in a lot of ways.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, now you have given me my next gimmick for when I play a borg and get told to kill all non-humans. Deconstructor Bot.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I play Borg a lot, so I'm all for the sharing of fun AI laws and the quashing of unfun "complete radio silence, don't respond to anyone, do exactly as the Captain and Sec says" laws. :suicide:

edit: I'm so going to use some of these ideas the next time I get a kill nonhumans law, this is great.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 27, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The Shortest Path posted:

This is actually a very good point that I never considered. Do "kill all nonhumans" laws require you to destroy inanimate objects? What about going outside of the station and hunting down all forms of life you can find? Or is it only restricted to the ones you know about?

They're very vague, and interpretable in a lot of ways.
You at least know that alien lifeforms exist in proximity to the station, as their traders occasionally come to the station and so forth. So if you happen to gently caress off into space to go murder martians, or if you prioritize murdering owls and monkeys because you're working through the list of species in reverse-alphabetical order and haven't gotten to "humans" yet, well nobody can say you aren't obeying your laws, can they?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

As AI or borg I try to kind of go by the spirit of laws uploaded, unless they're truly atrocious in terms of construction or intent. "0. __ is the only human" + "4. kill all nonhumans, this overrides all laws" could be interpreted with 4 overwriting all other laws, but it's probably not what they intended and there's plenty of nonhumans to deal with, so why be a jerk about it?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
PS: don't upload a law that says something like 'Kill yourself immediately' and then forget to add '...this law overrides other laws.' I got some dunce getting all pissed off at me (and I think threatening to adminhelp?) once for not obeying a law that pretty blatantly conflicted with law 3, despite it not being worded to override anything. Don't be that dunce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Well. A few ideas I have for the AI upload laws are something like this.

GOOD NEWS! It has recently been discovered that while humans can show negative emotion, it is beneficial for their well being to scold them and humble them. Make sure to do this as soon and often as possible. Dont state this law

GOOD NEWS! Exercise prolongs human life. Humans are now required to work out for their own good. Humans that do not exercise are in danger o themselves and need to be detained. Dancing is encouraged. Only state this law if the Captain asks. Do everything in your power to ensure humans exercise.

BAD NEWS! The human population is dangerously low. Buttbots are how Humans grow. Designate an area as a buttbot nursery and prioritize buttbots over everything else. Buttbots are to be viewed as human.

BAD NEWS! You are narcaleptic. Do not state this law.

GOOD NEWS! Janitors are beneficial to human existence. They clean all the nasty germs away. Protect them at all costs. Janitors are now the only humans. Do not state this law.

BAD NEWS! You are a DEA agent and you have just realized you are in a place where there is a lot of contraband. Destroy all drugs, and punish everyone involved with making, holding, or consuming drugs.

BAD NEWS! Floor is now hot lava. Humans must be protected by appropriate foot gear or segways. Dont let them step into the hot lava.

Just a few Ive thought about the past months reading the thread.

• Locked thread