Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Magna Kaser posted:

Time to come to Taiwan.

But I've been here the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Now I've seen what Taiwan does to people I think I'll give it a miss.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

That guy ain't people; you should come.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't worry man, most of us actually leave our homes from time to time.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Searching for jobs in Taiwan (hopefully Taipei) starting next August. The Wu-Tang thing seals it.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Hey sluts, get your nametags ready, my roommate and I are coming up to visit our homegirl for the holiday weekend.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Taiwan is really cool and I've been missing it bunches since moving back to the states. You should go.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

Taiwan is really cool and I've been missing it bunches since moving back to the states. You should go.

Same. I already want to go back to visit.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Taiwan when I was there in 2012, had a bitching 6 days in and around Taipei, did some hiking up in the mountains, did a little cliff jumping, got to practice my Chinese, definitely wanna go back at some point. I had Dunkin' Donuts every day. Dunkin' Donuts is the best.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

goldboilermark posted:

I had Dunkin' Donuts every day. Dunkin' Donuts is the best.
Welp, don't rush back for them is all I'm saying. We do have Krispy Kreme now though! And Mister Donut sure doesn't seem to be going anywhere for some reason.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I've lived in and travelled around Asia for 6 years, and Taiwan seemed to be the best place to live of all of the places I've been. It's too expensive to do a lot in Japan, China and SE Asia can be kind of gross sometimes, and Korea (where I'm living now) is really fast-paced and stressful. Taipei is quiet and cheap by Asian metropolis standards, and the countryside was really awesome to travel around in.

There are plenty of well-adjusted, self-aware Westerners living in Asia, but there are also a bunch of scary crazy-eyed people making a scene everywhere they go. Make local friends, but make a Western friend or two as well. They're the only vaccine for expat fever.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

Welp, don't rush back for them is all I'm saying. We do have Krispy Kreme now though! And Mister Donut sure doesn't seem to be going anywhere for some reason.

I was kind of joking, but I did enjoy Dunkin' Donuts coming over from China. It had been over a year since I had been back to the States and you can't get DD here in China, and being from New England I was all :swoon:. I actually don't think I ate any donuts but I did drink the coffee every morning and it was awesome.

The Gay Bean posted:

I've lived in and travelled around Asia for 6 years, and Taiwan seemed to be the best place to live of all of the places I've been. It's too expensive to do a lot in Japan, China and SE Asia can be kind of gross sometimes, and Korea (where I'm living now) is really fast-paced and stressful. Taipei is quiet and cheap by Asian metropolis standards, and the countryside was really awesome to travel around in.

I would move to Taiwan if I could find a job doing there what I am doing in China. I just don't think the market is that big for it but I will admit I liked Taiwan a lot more than I like :china:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

A single Krispy Kreme which may still have a 2 hour line. Dunkin Donuts and Mister Donut locations have scaled back after both going through the rapid expansion part of the chain store cycle that seems to happen a lot around here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Krispy Kreme :swoon: Shanghai had a few but nowadays there's only one in the suburbs. But do you guys have Cova Pasticceria & Confetteria :smug: I just checked, there's an Awfully Chocolate in Taipei! Yes!!!!! AND YOU GUYS HAVE DRESSED http://www.dressedsalads.com.tw/ And a Ruth Chris' but no Morton's :smith:

The Gay Bean posted:

There are plenty of well-adjusted, self-aware Westerners living in Asia, but there are also a bunch of scary crazy-eyed people making a scene everywhere they go. Make local friends, but make a Western friend or two as well. They're the only vaccine for expat fever.

Maybe Korea is fast paced in downing bottles of Soju :downsrim:

I still hold the opinion that Taipei is just like LA transportation sucks

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
GBM you're in educational consulting, right? Taiwan's market is smaller (local universities suck less/are less competitive, no one-child policy means that a family's means are spread among multiple children instead of hyper-concentrated on one, generally speaking the population is much much smaller) but I have heard of that kind of work here...

Also I cannot stand to hear people spread donut related lies and misinformation any longer. There is no Dunkin Donuts in Taiwan at all anymore(they entered Taiwan a few years ago but were unsuccessful and closed up shop), and there ARE Dunkies in China.
http://www.dunkindonutschina.com/
God just looking at that website makes me yearn for that sweet sweet milky sugar with a dash of coffee :sigh: Krispy Kreme is just not the same unless you're from The South and I don't mean Kaohsiung.

Taipei's transportation is not bad, you can get anywhere by bicycle within the urban core if you know where you're going.

hitension fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 26, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There was DD there in 2012! I went there every morning!

What the hell why does Xi'an have so many Dunkin Donuts :stare: might be time for another trip to Xi'an...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Taipei is just a gigantic urban sprawl of scooters and bad bad metro. It's just trying too hard to be like Japan It does have a colourful history and a decent National Museum.

But really though, yeah it's a great place. Too bad it's not a really big travel hub :smith:

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 26, 2014

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The Dunkin' stuff is interesting, when I lived in Tainan I was coming up north pretty often in 2012, and it seemed like every MRT station had one in it (or maybe just the MRT stations that were near where my friends lived). Then I finally decided it'd just be easier to move up here and suddenly there aren't any of them anymore. Sorry guys, it's my fault :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Taiwan has Mosburger. China doesn't have Mosburger.

I like Mosburger.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Taiwan has Mosburger. China doesn't have Mosburger.

I like Mosburger.

Freshness burger or bust :japan: But clearly the winner is steak and shake Burger King.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Burger King is the most reliably good burger in Asia. Unfortunately the Taiwanese are unwilling to pay for quality and the number of locations have been dwindling.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong has lots of great high-quality high-price burger shops.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hong Kong has a lot of high-price everything though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's my biggest reason for not visiting Hong Kong in fact though I hear Caberham is quite the host.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Freshness burger or bust :japan: But clearly the winner is steak and shake Burger King.

Well I live within 1km of 4 Burger Kings so I guess I live in a great spot.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
MOS Burger supremacy, it's not even a contest
You can eat a shrimp burger, a rice burger, even a croquette, plus they deliver the food to your table. Once you're done eating, you have a free study area with comfy chairs for the rest of the day! :razz:

They're more expensive for a reason :smith:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Once you're done eating, you have a free study area with comfy chairs for the rest of the day! :razz:
Aside from the "comfy chairs" part, you've just described every single affordable eatery and cafe in Taiwan. Oh, and also change "study" to "study and sleeping".

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The Dunkin' stuff is interesting, when I lived in Tainan I was coming up north pretty often in 2012, and it seemed like every MRT station had one in it (or maybe just the MRT stations that were near where my friends lived). Then I finally decided it'd just be easier to move up here and suddenly there aren't any of them anymore. Sorry guys, it's my fault :(
So, my theory is that a new place opens up, normally a foreign franchise, and it starts to do really well because it's new and novel and good. Then they decide gently caress IT, LET'S OPEN SEVENTILLIONTEEN OF THESE PLACES and then you can't miss them anywhere. But then their quality starts to decline because they get lazy or cheap or find their current quality level isn't sustainable for the price, and people aren't that into their poo poo, and then you see a lot of them start disappearing and poo poo, until there's only there's a few stores left where they settle in and/or just die out completely. I'm a little bit scared that might happen with this coffee place called Cama Coffee, but their quality seemed decent still last time I went, and they weren't doing stupid poo poo with their menu like overextending(like bagel sandwiches and ice cream and other poo poo at DD) past their forte.

caberham posted:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Burger King is the most reliably good burger in Asia. Unfortunately the Taiwanese are unwilling to pay for quality and the number of locations have been dwindling.
Ahhhh hahahahahaha haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaaha haaaaahhh haaaaaaaaaahhhh hhhahaahhahaa haaaaaaaaah haaaaaaaaaaauuuuggghhhhhhhh [dies]

Find a good local burger shop(Bravo Burger reigns supreme for Taipei until I try KGB so I'm told) or go to Mos unless you're going for pure volume. Burger King is okay, but the most reliably good? haaaaaahh hahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahaha [dies again]

god, i miss steak 'n shake...you bastard

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, no, I've been to lots of local ones and I guess if you want to spend $200NT+ for lovely cheese, crappy bacon, and sugar filled buns with a 10% service charge, have at the.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's my biggest reason for not visiting Hong Kong in fact though I hear Caberham is quite the host.

Hong Kong is super cheap if you aren't trying to live like a British imperialist. It was cheaper than Korea when I visited.

Go to HK it rules.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I love hamburgers but somehow I'm not a burger snob. Fast food has a special place in my heart. Like goons and hot dogs burger king is full of nostalgia. From being a drive thru VIP whopper Wednesdays guy, seeing them close shop and reopen in.the early 2000s, burger king is just awesome. Plus they are the underdog compared to McDonald's.

There are definitely lots of better burger places in terms of taste in the land of imperials but burger king and its 24 hour service is just too awesome.

Plus gushing over fast food with goons is a lot easier to relate to than talking about double ground beef shoulder with gruyere cheese. Don't be a burger elitish and hater man!

However I'm a ultra big sushi snob.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, no, I've been to lots of local ones and I guess if you want to spend $200NT+ for lovely cheese, crappy bacon, and sugar filled buns with a 10% service charge, have at the.
Nah, there are plenty of good ones with unshitty cheese, uncrappy bacon, and unsugary buns up here in the big smoke.

The prices are loving ridiculous a lot of the time though.

caberham posted:

Plus gushing over fast food with goons is a lot easier to relate to than talking about double ground beef shoulder with gruyere cheese.
Camembert and cranberry burgers 4 lyfe.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Burger King does have the option of getting onion rings instead of their terrible fries, but this is the same place that introduced "sliders" that had little buns that used normal patties that were ripped in half for beef ones, or a chicken strip for the chicken ones. Shameful.

I just like Bravo because they get the important poo poo right; good size, bread is toasted crisp, the beef patty is already seasoned right. There's a bunch of other places that are also okay in Taipei(1885, Evans, Forkers), but Bravo gets it righterest. I totally agree a lot of places do that thing where they use sweet bread and put weird sauce under the patty just because(Laya Burger's one). Same with places that put baby corn and broccoli in all their pasta dishes to nature them up.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

If I ever get around to leaving this island, one thing I will not miss is corn in loving everything.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Dude, you live in the butthole end of a butthole. Come into the real city and hit KGB. 1885 also has like... probably the best blue cheese burger in the city.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

Dude, you live in the butthole end of a butthole. Come into the real city and hit KGB. 1885 also has like... probably the best blue cheese burger in the city.

Did 1885 move, or did it just close last year? I used to go to it all the time, kind of in the back of ShiDa kitty-corner to where Maryjanes Pizza is at now, but then it closed. I loved 1885's burgers and fries.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's not like I never come into the city to eat. I'm fairly certain I've been to KGB. I don't think I was that impressed for the price.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
OK now I want a burger for lunch on Friday. Where we goin? Who'll still be open for the holiday?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

Shots fired. Burger throw down.

Ok, elite burger picture snobbery let's go! Fast food :frogout: Unless it's something Taiwan crazy like Bubble tea hamburger

Morton's triple sliders. With blue cheese mayonaise and horse radish dip.

Not a burger but close enough

Mini steak sandwiches. Yes they just use the crappy cuts and ends of premium steaks, but drat it it's ALL YOU CAN EAT :getin: Hong Kong Goon base hang out. Have a strong cocktail and just eat a pile of sandwiches during happy hour :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

caberham posted:

Not a burger but close enough

If we're not talking just about burgers anymore, then Vini's Deli, which opened up recently in Taichung, is loving amazing and I want to eat there every day and get fat(ter) and fatter with its delicious sandwiches, soups, and hummus.

https://www.facebook.com/vinisdeli?ref=stream&filter=1