Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Shadow Magic's campaign was great. Shadow Magic's random maps were good fun when you didn't want to run the campaign or had already memorized the campaign, branches and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

boredsatellite posted:

Oh yeah my friend brought up this concern to me as he is interested in the game but the combat colors could be an issue with all the red/orange/green tiles. Is there going to be a colorblind mode?

I never considered this. I assume he has red/green color blindness? Does that mean he can't see the difference between red/orange/green at all?

Edit:

http://safecolours.rigdenage.com/palettefiles.html

I guess the safest thing to do would be to replace the orange color with a blue one, so green->blue->red...

Anyways, I can't promise anything, but I'll bring it up at work.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 26, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Zurai posted:

Shadow Magic's random maps were good fun when you didn't want to run the campaign or had already memorized the campaign, branches and all.

They were also great for multiplayer, premade scenarios only remain interesting for a limited amount of time after all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Its really happening! :allears:

So, are we going to want a new thread or are no fucks given? Its not like this one got a ludicrous amount of posts.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I never considered this. I assume he has red/green color blindness? Does that mean he can't see the difference between red/orange/green at all?

Edit:

I guess the safest thing to do would be to replace the orange color with a blue one, so green->blue->red...

It's not that bad to the extent he can't tell the difference, he says that "certain shades of things are harder to tell apart. Like dull reds and greens sometimes look like they could go either way. If they're right next to each other I could tell though"

Thanks for the response, I'll tell him about the palette swap.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Shadowmorn posted:

Its really happening! :allears:

So, are we going to want a new thread or are no fucks given? Its not like this one got a ludicrous amount of posts.

There will probably be a lot of posts after the game comes out. Threads for popular TBS games tend to be pretty persistent on SA; see Xcom, Civ, Dominions 3 or 4.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Putting one of those mini-LP style promotional videos right on the Steam page is a cool thing more games should do.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

boredsatellite posted:

It's not that bad to the extent he can't tell the difference, he says that "certain shades of things are harder to tell apart. Like dull reds and greens sometimes look like they could go either way. If they're right next to each other I could tell though"

Thanks for the response, I'll tell him about the palette swap.

I spoke to my boss, and apparently his brother in law has color blindness. The current plan is to modify the icon's designs to make them easier to tell apart without having a palette swap being necessary.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I spoke to my boss, and apparently his brother in law has color blindness. The current plan is to modify the icon's designs to make them easier to tell apart without having a palette swap being necessary.

Perfect. Thank you for responding to my question so promptly! It's much appreciated

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Isn't the heart of these sorts of games the random sandboxes? I don't think I've ever played a pre-made scenario in a 4x game. I never did really get into Shadow Magic, is the focus there on pre-made scenarios/campaigns, or is the 'primary' mode random maps, more like Civilization?

Age of Wonders didn't have random maps until the third game, so not really. Hell, random maps are like scenarios but worse done and not as interesting. The good point of the random maps is just they are infinite.

Basically, you play random maps when you've played all the scenarios.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
No, the point of random maps is to create you're own story, instead of jumping into someone else's. I'm with the guy who only plays random maps, the campaign may be excellent, but it never really interested me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fintilgin posted:

Isn't the heart of these sorts of games the random sandboxes? I don't think I've ever played a pre-made scenario in a 4x game. I never did really get into Shadow Magic, is the focus there on pre-made scenarios/campaigns, or is the 'primary' mode random maps, more like Civilization?
AoW has been fairly centred on pre-made maps, but AoWIII has a pretty impressive looking random map generator.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

Uhh, it's pretty much absolute bog standard for there to be preorder/special edition exclusive maps in strategy games. It's no different than the preorder/SE exclusive items in RPGs. It's not like we're talking an entire campaign, here. The maps likely won't even be very big or involved compared to user-made ones that'll be available in the first week.

It's absolutely not standard, bog (?) or otherwise, to have the deluxe version not include the pre-order bonus from the tier above.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

It's absolutely not standard, bog (?) or otherwise, to have the deluxe version not include the pre-order bonus from the tier above.

If you pre-order the deluxe edition, you will receive the pre-order DLC. Or do you mean something else?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Murgos posted:

The deluxe version is game + sound track. If you preorder you get a bonus scenario. If you preorder the deluxe you get sound track and scenario. It's not complicated.

Rudi Starnberg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I've been half following this thread, but I hadn't watched any of the full gameplay videos until last night. Watched the dreadnaught one and am now 100% sold on this game, even if I intend to only play random maps.

I'm going to have to go home and try Shadow Magic again. I think I struggled with the interface on it a bit, and the fact that map seems cluttered and hard to read. It reminds me of how people complain about the interface to the original XCOM, which is totally instinctual to me because I grew up on it. But I'm ten years late to Shadow Magic, so I find myself fumbling around and not really being sure what I should be doing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rudi Starnberg posted:

The deluxe version is game + sound track. If you preorder you get a bonus scenario. If you preorder the deluxe you get sound track and scenario. It's not complicated.

Oh, pardon me for not being explicit that when I said deluxe I meant pre-order deluxe. Although I think the intent was pretty clear since in the context of the conversation that's what we are discussing.

The standard pre-order scenario is different than the pre-order deluxe scenario. Which is non-standard, usually the pre-order deluxe will have all the includes from the previous tier. The standard pre-order and the deluxe pre-order are not usually mutually exclusive includes. It's not complicated.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

The standard pre-order scenario is different than the pre-order deluxe scenario. Which is non-standard, usually the pre-order deluxe will have all the includes from the previous tier. The standard pre-order and the deluxe pre-order are not usually mutually exclusive includes. It's not complicated.

This is wrong. If you pre-order the deluxe scenario, you receive the same pre-order scenario that you would get from pre-ordering the non-deluxe version. You also get the deluxe scenario.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

Edit:

I'm dichromatic so in addition to being specifically red-green colourblind, I also have terrible colour acuity in general, basically any given colour may be any colour remotely near it on the colour spectrum, or green, or any colour near green.

I expect your game to be fully compatible with my very individual visual sensescape within the week.

(seriously though, just changing the shapes of the icons is fine, as long as you have distinct patterns of light and dark it's fine, and that'll work for any form of colourblindness, also most people figure out ways to work around it because colour grading things is a perfectly sensible way to do it for most of the world and you can't expect them to stop)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 26, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I only ever played random maps in Age of Wonders (Shadow Magic). They scratched my "modern" (for the time) Master of Magic itch so well. I could easily have played 100 hours of it. It wasn't until much later, when the games were put on GoG, that I got into the campaigns.

I'm sorry I missed Age of Wonders 1 when it was new. I just love the late DOS game-like aesthetics so much ... the art and the music specifically.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Having been enjoying Eador: Masters of the Broken World a lot lately, how much would you guys recommend Age of Wonders III? The general gist of it is really appealing to me but y'know, haven't ever played / heard of the older titles or much of this game until recently.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

Having been enjoying Eador: Masters of the Broken World a lot lately, how much would you guys recommend Age of Wonders III? The general gist of it is really appealing to me but y'know, haven't ever played / heard of the older titles or much of this game until recently.

It's one of my most anticipated games of this year speaking as someone who really only got into fantasy 4x games after playing the poo poo out of eador and warlock. This looks like a Warlock with some actual depth mixed with the cool user friendly UI stuff of civ 5. If it's as cool as it looks I can totally see myself putting in more hours than eador and warlock combined.

If you're curious on weather or not you'd like it you could always buy the older ones on gog to see if you like the base gameplay.

[e] Is the steam version getting workshop support?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks a shitload better than Eador, that's for sure. I tried to get into Eador but the constant restarting with every world and the really crummy numbers based low level combat kinda spoiled it for me. Neat idea, just suffers in the execution. That sort of thing is kinda why AoW3s conventional approach to things is appealing to me. I know that poo poo works. It seems like a game that glues together a bunch of stuff I like from a bunch of other 4x games, while omitting all the bits I don't like about those games.

The odd thing is that it seems to be doing that while also still being a part of its own franchise which makes me kinda wish I'd played the older games instead of HOMM2.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 26, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Babyface Mingo posted:

They're in the same general genre but they play pretty radically different. If you're interested in a good, but very different Fantasy 4x, you should definitely try some version of AoW.

As far as differences go, AoW has a hex tile based map instead of provinces. One super cool part about this is that you can change the hexes with spells, creating/destroying forests, deserts, rivers, for example you can be a huge jerk and wait for someone to move their hero onto a frozen river and then melt it with a fireblast spell. You also can move troops around independently, it isn't of the style of 'the heroes do everything' like Eador (or HOMM). You can also have many towns, and of different races, but the complexity of the build tree in them is much lower than Eador's castle. There aren't really events in AoW like there are in Eador, but there are still quests and revolts and such.

The tactical combat is pretty similar, but AoW has bigger battle maps and trends towards more troops in battles. The normal units in AoW don't continue to gain levels though, they just get 2 ranks (that only give fairly small bonuses) and that's it. Heroes don't conform to classes in AoW either, you can mix and match skills as you want, but I think this does have the side effect of making them less distinct and interesting as Eador's heroes.

AoW also has a much more standard style campaign than Eador, mostly being a series of branching missions where things carry over.

Honestly though the biggest thing I like better about AoW over Eador is that AoW has a much better pace in general. Eador tends to drag a lot at times, and the campaign progresses painfully slowly, IMO anyway.

And like DrManiac said, you can always try out Shadow Magic for $10 and see if you like it. AoW1 is even cheaper but it might be harder to get into because the interface and controls are pretty dated and the sprites are super small for the resolutions monitors run at these days. You might also get lucky and see a sale for them on GoG between now and the release of AoW3, but who knows.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Jeez that's an awesome reply Gwyrgyn Blood. Thanks guys, gonna be picking this up and looking forward to playing it then.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Awesome comparison post.

It's worth noting that a lot of this stuff applies to age of wonders 1. Shadow Magic does try to differentiate its heroes, although by the time they hit 15 they more or less become harbingers of doom.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It'll be interesting to see how the random map generator works; SM's couldn't put out anything that approached the quality of the scenario maps

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There's a dev blog post about it. It seems to be pretty in-depth.

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-conquering-infinite-worlds-in-the-rmg/

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Arrrthritis posted:

It's worth noting that a lot of this stuff applies to age of wonders 1. Shadow Magic does try to differentiate its heroes, although by the time they hit 15 they more or less become harbingers of doom.

Yeah for one reason or another I've spent far more time with AoW1 than the other games. I've actually spent a lot more time with AoW2 than SM even, and I can't explain that.

Also that reminds me, I really, really hope to god that this game doesn't restrict the number of players based on the map size. I hate that so much, just let me cram 8 players into the tiniest map imaginable if I want to. Both Warlock and Eador both do this and it drives me crazy.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wasn't the Archdruid video showing that you have a tiny map with lots of players? Aka "knife fight in a cupboard" as he described it

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Wasn't the Archdruid video showing that you have a tiny map with lots of players? Aka "knife fight in a cupboard" as he described it

Yep! He ran the smallest map size with 8 players, which appeared to be the max.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

There's a dev blog post about it. It seems to be pretty in-depth.

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-conquering-infinite-worlds-in-the-rmg/

Alright, that looks drat good

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fintilgin posted:

I've been half following this thread, but I hadn't watched any of the full gameplay videos until last night. Watched the dreadnaught one and am now 100% sold on this game, even if I intend to only play random maps.

I'm going to have to go home and try Shadow Magic again. I think I struggled with the interface on it a bit, and the fact that map seems cluttered and hard to read. It reminds me of how people complain about the interface to the original XCOM, which is totally instinctual to me because I grew up on it. But I'm ten years late to Shadow Magic, so I find myself fumbling around and not really being sure what I should be doing.

I'm in the same boat! I played any AOW game (SM) for the first time in my life last night. I played the first two tutorial missions. The game isn't super complicated or anything, but the UI is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth. I poked around but I couldn't find any hotkeys listed that would make turns smoother. I was also a little surprised that units, if ordered on a multi-turn move, don't actually move automatically every turn - you need to move them manually. Is this a preference I can change somewhere?

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 28, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

I'm in the same boat! I played any AOW game (SM) for the first time in my life last night. I played the first two tutorial missions. The game isn't super complicated or anything, but the UI is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth. I poked around but I couldn't find any hotkeys listed that would make turns smoother. I was also a little surprised that units, if ordered on a multi-turn move, don't actually move automatically every turn - you need to move them manually. Is this a preference I can change somewhere?

You'll probably find this useful:

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=43071&tab=controls

If you press "M" then the selected stack will continue moving along its path. I believe the old school way of doing multi-turn move is to press N to select the next stack, then M to move, N to the next, etc.

I added proper multi-turn movement to the game last week, as well as rally points for cities.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gerblyn posted:

You'll probably find this useful:

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=43071&tab=controls

If you press "M" then the selected stack will continue moving along its path. I believe the old school way of doing multi-turn move is to press N to select the next stack, then M to move, N to the next, etc.

I added proper multi-turn movement to the game last week, as well as rally points for cities.

That's awesome, thank you. I'll print a copy of it right away.

... I actually have the GOG version and I didn't check the manual, I bet it's there too. I'm just not used to games having manuals anymore. :smith:

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 28, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zurai posted:

Yep! He ran the smallest map size with 8 players, which appeared to be the max.
I'm dumb, I even watched that video twice and completely forgot about that.

Antti posted:

I was also a little surprised that units, if ordered on a multi-turn move, don't actually move automatically every turn - you need to move them manually. Is this a preference I can change somewhere?

Yeah this is kind of a pain. There are a ton of little things like this missing from AoW1 which makes it drag a lot. Not being able to group move units/stacks really sucks (can't remember if they added this in 2/SM or not). Not auto-selecting the next unit in tactical combat sucks. Having to double click every loving time you want to move or do anything sucks.

My hand actually starts hurting after playing for an hour or so because EVERYTHING takes so many clicks to do. Using the N and M keys definitely helps a little but it's not really reducing the number of clicks/presses to do things, just spreading it out between hands.

Hey Gerblyn, is there any sort of smart stack group movement in AoW3? Like, can I take 3 adjacent stacks, select them all, and then have it move them all in formation? Basically just to reduce the micro of moving groups, so I don't have to figure out which group moves the slowest and then move them all individually and worry about terrain penalties etc etc?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hey Gerblyn, is there any sort of smart stack group movement in AoW3? Like, can I take 3 adjacent stacks, select them all, and then have it move them all in formation? Basically just to reduce the micro of moving groups, so I don't have to figure out which group moves the slowest and then move them all individually and worry about terrain penalties etc etc?

There's no group selecting of stacks I'm afraid. I did recently fix multi-turn movement, so you can say to a stack "Go over there!" and it'll move over without you having to interact with it. The beta testers hated it tho, so I had to put in an option to have auto-moving stacks turn up in the to-do list so you can do the old fashioned N/M thing if you want to. You can also set rallypoints for cities now, so newly made units automove to a particular spot.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does the multiturn automove at the end of the turn or the beginning? Both have their uses is the problem. Moving at the start (before the AI, hopefully) is something that you can't really do manually most of the time (unless you only need to move 1 stack anyway) so that's kind of a more useful feature. But moving at the end allows you to react to the AI, so you can change plans if you need to, so it's 'safer', but not really giving you any new functionality (just saving you clicks).

It'd be nice if you could use both somehow, like Shift+Click sets up the stack to move at the end of turns, regular click sets them up to move ASAP. The other problem though I guess is that, if multiple players have stacks set up to move at the start of the turn, which one does it decide gets to move first? Simultaneous turns are hard like that. :I

You should look into adding group stack moving at some point if you ever get the chance. It's not a necessity or anything, but it would be really helpful to reduce the number of clicks it takes to do things. Moving in formation is really helpful as a defensive technique as I'm sure you're aware, it can just get really tedious if you're moving 7 stacks together a long ways.

Rally points are awesome though and kind of a much needed feature I think.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If more then one stack can join a combat(did I read this?), why are stacks limited to ~6(?) units? Seems awful small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

If more then one stack can join a combat(did I read this?), why are stacks limited to ~6(?) units? Seems awful small.

Up to 7 stacks of units can participate in one combat: the stack in the hex under attack and each stack in an adjacent hex. That's 7x6=42 units in a single combat, most of them multi-figure units. Doesn't seem very limited to me.

• Locked thread