Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm looking for a sort of specific mod. Is there anything around that has your character actually detect dungeons with word walls when you come near them? Say a first person message pops up if you go near Shroud Hearth Barrow for instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

joats posted:

I don't understand why so many awesome armors, weapons, and mounts that look like they took a long time to create are lazily put into a chest in front of Whiterun stables or Windhelm. It wouldn't be that hard to put it out into the world space next to a boss monster in a far away location. Or maybe have some random NPC tell you about it when you hit a certain experience level. Now I would probably take the saber tooth cat mount and put it up in the mountains guarded by other high level cats. After climbing up the mountain, you beat the boss cat, then you get to keep him as a mount. I'm sure most people would want that, but loving nexus would probably ban you for taking a cool looking thing and actually adding some game play to it.

Nah, gently caress it. I'm going to go to Whiterun stables, play my gay flute, and ride around on my epic sabertooth *posts over saturated, over bloomed, and blurry ENB pictures of cat with black bars cropping the frame because that's how the nexus Skyrims.

This is because it's a not an easy thing to do any of that. You're talking about a bunch more work, especially if the person is primarily interested in creating visual mods. Also, the more records you edit, the more issues you're going to have with compatibility. Creating mods for skyrim is serious donks because the creation kit is hard to work with.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TheSpookyDanger posted:

This is because it's a not an easy thing to do any of that. You're talking about a bunch more work, especially if the person is primarily interested in creating visual mods. Also, the more records you edit, the more issues you're going to have with compatibility. Creating mods for skyrim is serious donks because the creation kit is hard to work with.

His core point is that if you take something from the Nexus and do the work of adding it to leveled lists or adding an interesting discovery mechanism and then republish it, you get banned because of the draconian permission rules, and he has a point. Modding seemed much more laissez-faire back in the Infinity Engine and Morrowind days - most people had a share and share alike attitude about things. Now, you have to genuflect and kowtow if you even think about using someone else's work, much less actually publish it. It's the reason you see all these great big modpacks for Morrowind but not for Oblivion and Skyrim, so far - wrangling the permissions for that sort of thing would be more egregious than making an entirely new mod.

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
I'd like to get some advice from you all. I am in the middle of re-modding Skyrim again with an emphasis on decent challenge, survival, and immersion. Survival and immersion were easy enough (Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases/iNeed, and Hunterborn), but challenge via combat is a different beast. The goal is to have myself and enemies have to use resources and powers smartly to survive. I'll be using SPERG as my perk overhaul, along with mods like Immersive Patrols, Skyrim Immersive Creatures with lore friendly options, and maybe OBIS. Below is what I currently have in mind, and any advice/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For Dragons:
Deadly Dragons (The only mod I really have experience with on this list.)
Dragon Combat Overhaul (Sorry about that mod page..)

General Enemies:

Deadly Combat
Enemy AI OverHaul---Revenge Of the Enemies---No Scripts Version
High Level Enemies

I'd also like a good sneak detection overhaul suggestion that isn't Improved sneak detection since it has a conflict with Better Vampires that I don't know how to work around or fix.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like a combination of SPERG, Ultimate Combat (with the Timed Block option) and Legendary difficulty. I also use Enhanced High Level Gameplay instead of High Level Enemies. For sneak, I'm using a combination of Path of Shadow's sneak settings and Improved Sneak Detection merged together. That is about it for combat, since I find the game tends to poo poo itself when you have too many combat mods.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

I like a combination of SPERG, Ultimate Combat (with the Timed Block option) and Legendary difficulty. I also use Enhanced High Level Gameplay instead of High Level Enemies. For sneak, I'm using a combination of Path of Shadow's sneak settings and Improved Sneak Detection merged together. That is about it for combat, since I find the game tends to poo poo itself when you have too many combat mods.

I'm finding ultimate combat kind of terrible. You can stagger people every hit and it becomes trivial to lock them into animation loops before the stagger resistance kicks in. I'm level one and can take on 5 bandits at once? Dumb.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Really? What difficulty are you playing at? It is pretty good for me, I'm also playing with a race rebalance mod (for lower base health/stamina) and it works pretty good.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Metalocalypse posted:

For Dragons:

Warning! I discovered the hard way that these two in combination can make Mirmulnir nigh impossible at low levels. He becomes nearly impossible to hit with a bow, he stays out of low level magic range, and the brief moments he lands will not be long enough to get in enough damage-- the little damage you'll do he will actually REGENERATE before you can deal more damage.

I had to revert to a previous save, use the settings in Deadly Dragons to bring the bonuses down to something like +10% instead of +150%, and then I was able to whittle him down.

Only Mirmulnir seems to be so grossly unbeatable, and it may have to do with the location you fight him. There's nowhere for him to perch-- if there's perches for a dragon to roost on, they'll do so, but otherwise they'll just fly around in circles forever and strafe you. And Dragon Combat Overhaul makes dragons in flight basically unhittable by non-instant projectiles-- the dragons will perform awe-inspiring acrobatics and dodge your projectiles midair.

Every dragon since Mirmulnir, this hasn't been a problem. They come to you, and besides, lightning bolt becomes available so you can hit the bastards when they strafe. Just keep this in mind.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
WHY DO I KEEP DOING THESE

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, poo poo. My game has been unstable as gently caress since I reinstalled. I thought I had it pinned down to ENB being a dick (I'm using ENBoost, but I had forgotten to disable AA), but now it's happening again and I've noticed that it's making GBS threads the bed when I switch to 3rd person; it doesn't happen all the time, but it's happened 3 times in the past half hour, every time when switching to 3rd person. I have used TS5Edit to clean dirty mods (except the ones marked), and I have both the merged and bashed patches updated to the last time I made a change in the mod list.

Any ideas? :(

Load order:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Are you splicing existing dialog in the game for these? Seriously loving awesome.

e: please do a compilation ESP when you're all done, tyia

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Gyshall posted:

Are you splicing existing dialog in the game for these? Seriously loving awesome.

e: please do a compilation ESP when you're all done, tyia

Yeah, most of the time I don't even have to cut down existing lines, and Audacity and this program I found on Nexus called Unfuzer makes unpacking and repacking the audio bits trivially easy.

And yeah, the compilation is in the cards. Hopefully it doesn't spasm too awfully when I start crashing dialog topics into one ESP.

My current project will be to go through the extant dialog files and make commentary for followers that don't normally make it - as the quest controlling it will point to voicetype instead of NPC references, it will be able to work for all vanilla followers and probably most ones added by mods. The trick is dredging up enough dialogue to make it worth it; the FemaleCommander voicetype has already proven disappointingly sparse. It's amazing, though, all the dialogue you really don't hear even playing Skyrim as much as I have, to say nothing of the bits of dialogue from cut content still lurking in the files. Did you know Boethiah was originally to have given you a second quest to kill Jarl Elisif?

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 26, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

This is awesome, you are awesome, please do more of this.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The Mad Archivist posted:

His core point is that if you take something from the Nexus and do the work of adding it to leveled lists or adding an interesting discovery mechanism and then republish it, you get banned because of the draconian permission rules, and he has a point. Modding seemed much more laissez-faire back in the Infinity Engine and Morrowind days - most people had a share and share alike attitude about things. Now, you have to genuflect and kowtow if you even think about using someone else's work, much less actually publish it. It's the reason you see all these great big modpacks for Morrowind but not for Oblivion and Skyrim, so far - wrangling the permissions for that sort of thing would be more egregious than making an entirely new mod.

I agree with you about a lot of mod makers these days being the absolute worst, but the mod making community's incredible bullshit wasn't mentioned in the post I quoted. It was essentially, "man why don't these modders take the mods they clearly care about and make the extra effort to really polish them." Which is a fair question, I don't ever use that type of mod for the same reason. I was just commenting that adding quests is genuinely non-trivial.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

At this rate in a couple of months I'll be able to wander around with half of Whiterun following me, ready to maul any bandits that appear on the horizon.

e: this is a good thing

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Metalocalypse posted:

I'd like to get some advice from you all. I am in the middle of re-modding Skyrim again with an emphasis on decent challenge, survival, and immersion. Survival and immersion were easy enough (Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases/iNeed, and Hunterborn), but challenge via combat is a different beast. The goal is to have myself and enemies have to use resources and powers smartly to survive. I'll be using SPERG as my perk overhaul, along with mods like Immersive Patrols, Skyrim Immersive Creatures with lore friendly options, and maybe OBIS. Below is what I currently have in mind, and any advice/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For Dragons:

General Enemies:

Deadly Combat
Enemy AI OverHaul---Revenge Of the Enemies---No Scripts Version
High Level Enemies

I'd also like a good sneak detection overhaul suggestion that isn't Improved sneak detection since it has a conflict with Better Vampires that I don't know how to work around or fix.

ASIS and NPC enchant fix.

Hothtrooper44
Jul 10, 2013

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I agree with you about a lot of mod makers these days being the absolute worst, but the mod making community's incredible bullshit wasn't mentioned in the post I quoted. It was essentially, "man why don't these modders take the mods they clearly care about and make the extra effort to really polish them." Which is a fair question, I don't ever use that type of mod for the same reason. I was just commenting that adding quests is genuinely non-trivial.

The answer is the obvious one. The mod maker makes mods for fun. They also do like to share, but don't want to do the parts that are not fun for them. Some mod makers do it for attention, or just because they like to help people. But the ones you mention just do it for fun.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

How different is the CK for skyrim compared to Morrowind? The latter is the only TES I have experience modding, and editing leveled lists was very easy. Obviously conflicting leveled lists are an issue,but that's what lootification is for.

Edit: my favorite :effort: mods are always the ones that are like "here is my mod you start level 99 in daedric armor based on my own skyrim character thornothgar please don't judge just made for fun :downs:"

I can never tell whether the average age of modders is 14 or thirtysomethings arrested in development.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 26, 2014

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I can completely understand someone wanting to just make a cool weapon or armor set without wanting to make a big elaborate quest to obtain it, but I don't see why they can't just make it craftable rather than putting it in a box somewhere where it might conflict with another mod. My understanding is that a crafting recipe is pretty easy to make, and then you don't have to worry about the chest you put something in getting in something else's way. And if you want the item right away, there's always the console.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I've been mulling what other NPCs could be made into followers. One shortcoming is I have no idea what vanilla unused dialog is out there to make it worthwhile. One that jumps to mind is Brand-Shei the embarrassing "last" of the Telvanni.

That or some npcs representing some of the under represented races. There's very little beastfolk followers, and I think no? Altmer. Theres like three redguards or something and only a handful Britons.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

I've been mulling what other NPCs could be made into followers. One shortcoming is I have no idea what vanilla unused dialog is out there to make it worthwhile. One that jumps to mind is Brand-Shei the embarrassing "last" of the Telvanni.

That or some npcs representing some of the under represented races. There's very little beastfolk followers, and I think no? Altmer. Theres like three redguards or something and only a handful Britons.

Any argonian, but I do like he one in windhelm who's major quote is "The nords don't appreciate us, but so what, I don't appreciate them right back."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Off the top of my head:

Brand-Shei: For obvious reasons. Can use the same dialogues as Erandur and Athis
Madesi: Another obvious one. Derkeethus' dialogue
Goldir: Same reasons as Anska. Dude is literally the female version of Anska.
The Argonian Dock Workers: Because we need more Argonians. Use Derkeethus' Dialogue
Suvaris Atheron: It'd be funny to take her on the Civil War quest and ruin the Stormcloaks side-by-side. Use Jenassa's dialogue.
Jawanan: Redguard. Benor's dialogue
Amren: Another Redguard. Not sure which dialogue to use.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Anyone here try Skyrim with the Oculus Rift?

I just got one and I gotta say that its an interesting experience to say the least. Downside is the really bad resolution of the 1st Gen Rift and the sense that you can still control your mouse look with your head after you're done playing after ~30mins. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop in whiterun in VR is trippy as hell. Ive never noticed (or cared about) the sheer scale of the buildings and mountain ranges before now.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of their new 1080p sets. *swoon*

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Slayerjerman posted:

I just got one and I gotta say that its an interesting experience to say the least. Downside is the really bad resolution of the 1st Gen Rift and the sense that you can still control your mouse look with your head after you're done playing after ~30mins. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop in whiterun in VR is trippy as hell. Ive never noticed (or cared about) the sheer scale of the buildings and mountain ranges before now.

I am immensely jealous of you.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

I wonder how much mileage you could get out of taking the voices of the especially racist Nords (I think the Windhelm bully and the high elf-hating drunk in the Bee and Barb are the same actor, maybe some bandit shouts?) and putting them into a Greybeard body, creating an embarrassing-grandpa.

"Shut uuuuup Pa Borri, or I'm taking you straight back to the home. I'm so sorry, it's his age, he doesn't understand."

(Is picked up by the Whiterun Guard at 5am, disoriented and Shouting at the Khajiit)

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 26, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Slayerjerman posted:

I have an HMZ-T2 that I've farted around Skyrim with, but decided to stick with a 3-D monitor.

Are you able to get ENB working in 3D? I haven't tried but I assume you can't unless you give up the custom d3d9.dll for helixmod fixes - not worth it IMO.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hearthfire Custom Basements

Someone finally manages to get through the clusterfuck that is this game's engine and make a mod that allows you to build further wings under the basements of Hearthfire homes.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I need help with enb. I want to use the updated shadows, water, parallax, sunrays and the like but it brings my fps from a solid 60 to a 20. That's not the problem though. When I try to get back some fps by turning off all the options my fps only goes up 10. So I am looking at 30 fps and increased stuttering with none of the benefits.

I can't remember but I do believe that the versions before the water update ran far smoother. It's this a known issue with current versions? Can somebody point me to some enb effect settings that could fix this. I already fixed up the enb ini but haven't touched the effect one because even turning them all off in game shows minimal improvement.

I think it might be how enb handles vram buffering or the code for parallax and water.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quick question, does the newest SKSE version (the one on the site) already come with the memory patch/ctd fix? The one you had to activate on the skse.ini with the "offer newborn" line.

I'm kinda running out of ideas on what's causing my game to crap itself, but I'm starting to think I have too many texture packs running and I'm hitting the memory cap or something =/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

I've been mulling what other NPCs could be made into followers.
Temba Wide-Arm. And she gets a mace that gives her x1.5 damage against bears.

Also, that old Orc who is looking for a good death.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Berke Negri posted:

Maybe you can make those three revelers follow you around and try to "revel" every drat chance they get. They give drinks that can boost damage.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Berke Negri posted:

For Redguards I'd like to see the one in the Dark Brotherhood and maybe the leader of the pack looking for that chick.

Crazy Ted posted:

poo poo, I like that idea. I think Orcs are my favorite followers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

poo poo, I like that idea. I think Orcs are my favorite followers.
This is the 900th time I have sought a good death. Will you give me a good death?

*two hits*

*Draugr Lord is dead*

You did not give me a good death.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I've finally got a mod I've been working on mostly finished, need to test it in a playthrough still but I may release it as is; at this point the only thing I'm missing for a first release is more customization options.

Basically it's a combination no-death mod and dark souls-lite (inspiration from the mod I linked a few months ago). Quick summary, when you 'die' you get moved back to a 'checkpoint' which is the last bed or fire source (this isn't customizable, though I think it should be, thoughts?) you were near by at low health. Depending on what killed you different things happen, if it's a guard you get sent to jail, if it's a humanoid they steal 20% of your gold (which you can get back, should the % be configurable?) Anything else you catch a disease. More varied penalties would probably be future additions.

The other main feature of the mod is it disables saving unless you're near a checkpoint or in a city / player home.

Any thoughts on what if anything else should be configurable? Or ideas for future releases? Would people want it now or after there are more options?

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 26, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Mr. Crow posted:

So I've finally got a mod I've been working on mostly finished, need to test it in a playthrough still but I may release it as is; at this point the only thing I'm missing for a first release is more customization options.

Basically it's a combination no-death mod and dark souls-lite (inspiration from the mod I linked a few months ago). Quick summary, when you 'die' you get moved back to a 'checkpoint' which is the last bed or fire source (this isn't customizable, though I think it should be, thoughts?) you were near by at low health. Depending on what killed you different things happen, if it's a guard you get sent to jail, if it's a humanoid they steal 20% of your gold (which you can get back, should the % be configurable?) Anything else you catch a disease. More varied penalties would probably be future additions.

The other main feature of the mod is it disables saving unless you're near a checkpoint or in a city / player home.

Any thoughts on what if anything else should be configurable? Or ideas for future releases? Would people want it now or after there are more options?

In general I love the idea of this mod. It's probably best to make as much of it as possible tweakable via MCM though I would likely use it as is.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm using MO for my mods and I can't figure out how to use the texture optimizer with all my texture mods being done through MO. It wants me to direct it to my skyrim/data/textures folder but I don't have one since I haven't changed the skyrim root folder at all.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

joats posted:

I need help with enb. I want to use the updated shadows, water, parallax, sunrays and the like but it brings my fps from a solid 60 to a 20. That's not the problem though. When I try to get back some fps by turning off all the options my fps only goes up 10. So I am looking at 30 fps and increased stuttering with none of the benefits.

I can't remember but I do believe that the versions before the water update ran far smoother. It's this a known issue with current versions? Can somebody point me to some enb effect settings that could fix this. I already fixed up the enb ini but haven't touched the effect one because even turning them all off in game shows minimal improvement.

I think it might be how enb handles vram buffering or the code for parallax and water.

I have the same problem with the new ENB's. The older ones work far better for some reason and I'm not sure why. I agree that it's tied to water like you said though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mustang posted:

I'm using MO for my mods and I can't figure out how to use the texture optimizer with all my texture mods being done through MO. It wants me to direct it to my skyrim/data/textures folder but I don't have one since I haven't changed the skyrim root folder at all.

DDSopt or some other inferior one?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's Optimizer Textures on nexus mods. The applications name in the folder is Ordenador and has what looks like Morrowinds crescent and star as an icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Crazy Ted posted:

Temba Wide-Arm. And she gets a mace that gives her x1.5 damage against bears.

Ondolamar the justicar at Markath who hires you to track down talos worshippers may be another good one. There's like, zero thalmor followers and few evil ones.

• Locked thread