Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So opened a foil Champion of Stray Souls last night and was laughing at how bad a mythic it is, but apparently even the SCG buylist price for it is like 4 bucks. :wtc: Is anything big stupid and foil automatically a >$5 card because EDH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Entropic posted:

So opened a foil Champion of Stray Souls last night and was laughing at how bad a mythic it is, but apparently even the SCG buylist price for it is like 4 bucks. :wtc: Is anything big stupid and foil automatically a >$5 card because EDH?

Yes, it's exactly because of EDH. This is actually a good thing, as the more value there is in a set, the more spread out the costs are (so we don't have just one or two cards upholding the set's price tag).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Some day I will make Angelic Accord work and my infinite (read: one per turn) army of angels will beat everybody's face in. :colbert:

Strionic Resonator will make it 2 a turn!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mehall posted:

Strionic Resonator will make it 2 a turn!

Couple it with Angelic Chorus and it is a fairly definite combo.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

all foil mythics are worth 4 or 5 just due to the rarity. i don't know how many x packs is a foil, but then foils follow the same rarity so any foil mythic is pretty frickin rare.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lunsku posted:

I kind of doubt we see this kind of shake up to the block structure any time soon. The new annual core sets came after Lor/Sha, and the calendar for Wizards is quite nicely packed now around the year with three "expert" sets and a core set each year. Plus now the new sets kinda tie on to the four Pro Tours of the year too. Inside the three annual non-core sets, they can and will mix things up for sure. Theros block is the long due classic, large - small - small style block, after several that were different.

Maro's mentioned a few times how Duck Block has a different structure that actually took Creative longer than normal to figure out how to work it in terms of flavor. It was originally supposed to be Theros and it got bumped back a year to give them more time to do it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Best set symbol discussion - go:

I posit #1 : Ravnica, City of Guilds

#N, where N=number of Magic sets in existence: Onslaught

Worst is Dragon's Maze, this unintelligible, uninspired mess of the two previous symbols mashed together, making the Rare/Mythic versions look like crap. Also the cards sucked.

edit: VVV case in point, the prosecution rests.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 26, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AnacondaHL posted:

Worst is Dragon's Maze, this unintelligible, uninspired mess of the two previous symbols mashed together, making the Rare/Mythic versions look like crap. Also the cards sucked.

Wait. THAT'S what Dragon's Maze's symbol is?

Ugh, I hate the set even more somehow.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
There's an extremely small amount of design space for set symbols so Wizards will often create all three symbols as a variation on a theme or as a combination of previous symbols. Mirrodin Beseiged's symbol was the phyrexian symbol overlayed on the mirran symbol. Going forward I would expect to see more set symbols like those in Theros block; they all share a similar shape and Journey Into Nyx's symbol takes elements from the Theros and Born of the Gods symbols.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why do people dislike the spider set symbol? I keep forgetting the name but I played off and on throughout the years and that spider is the most memorable. It is the best symbol.

Livingtrope posted:

I'm a terrible causal player but I think Miracles looks fun, the end result is smashing them with a bunch of angels and who doesn't love that.

Actually, thinking about it, I have yet to see anyone win with that deck with angels, it's always Vendillion Clique or Snapcaster beat-down, which is actually an even more hilarious way to win.

Yep. There are plenty of legacy endings where it's just a 2/1 or 2/2 dude hitting someone until death. This occurs more frequently against pox and it's herp derp wasteland vs. mishra's factory. Good times. Delver decks are pretty much all-in on this classic plan. However, the fact that a casual displayed interest in it means it's not distasteful enough. If only eggs vs. doomsday could be a thing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fox of Stone posted:

Why do people dislike the spider set symbol? I keep forgetting the name but I played off and on throughout the years and that spider is the most memorable. It is the best symbol.

That set is onslaught. I also totally agree, its simple, easily recognized, and relates directly to a card type prevalent in the set (morph). I don't get the hatred, I guess it looks like a weird M to some people?

Fox of Stone posted:

If only eggs vs. doomsday could be a thing.

I would love to watch a new player try and figure out how in the hell they are supposed to win with doomsday. I mean, would they even cast the namesake card?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

Yep. There are plenty of legacy endings where it's just a 2/1 or 2/2 dude hitting someone until death. This occurs more frequently against pox and it's herp derp wasteland vs. mishra's factory. Good times. Delver decks are pretty much all-in on this classic plan. However, the fact that a casual displayed interest in it means it's not distasteful enough. If only eggs vs. doomsday could be a thing.

i don't think you know how much I hate myself, I would play eggs and I would meticulously ask everytime if a trigger or ability resolved.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Madmarker posted:

That set is onslaught. I also totally agree, its simple, easily recognized, and relates directly to a card type prevalent in the set (morph). I don't get the hatred, I guess it looks like a weird M to some people?

If the "morph" symbol was evocative or recognizable without knowing the in-depth Onslaught lore, I would like it.

Or if the set was spider-themed.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Lord Of Texas posted:

Or if the set was spider-themed.

Makes me miss Spider Spawning in draft. :(

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

Makes me miss Spider Spawning in draft. :(

Oh to be playing triple Innistraad draft again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kabanaw posted:

There's an extremely small amount of design space for set symbols so Wizards will often create all three symbols as a variation on a theme or as a combination of previous symbols. Mirrodin Beseiged's symbol was the phyrexian symbol overlayed on the mirran symbol. Going forward I would expect to see more set symbols like those in Theros block; they all share a similar shape and Journey Into Nyx's symbol takes elements from the Theros and Born of the Gods symbols.

Sometimes it works out well. The Zendikar Block expansion symbols are pretty perfect for what they are.

I actually much prefer symbols where you can tell just by looking at them that they're all from the same block.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

Sometimes it works out well. The Zendikar Block expansion symbols are pretty perfect for what they are.

Yeah, what differentiates the Zendikar symbol from, say, the Onslaught symbol is that hedrons are plastered absolutely everywhere in the card art. You don't have to even read the flavor text to know that hedrons = Zendikar. I remember very few cards in Onslaught where morphed creatures were clearly depicted. There were definitely some, but they weren't as ubiquitous.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 26, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I always forgot its name was onslaught but the M stands for :master: anyway. (M stands for Morph you dinguses)

Livingtrope posted:

i don't think you know how much I hate myself, I would play eggs and I would meticulously ask everytime if a trigger or ability resolved.
Oh yeah, forgot. We both post in that awful thread and actually enjoy it. Deck should come with sunglasses to make sure you weren't passing priority by mistaken eye contact.

e: Tea time crew on gbs. I joined when it was nice crew and it's fun at times but apparently it's drama-filled at times. I wouldn't know cuz I always see 500+ unread posts and skip to the end when I post.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 26, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Fox of Stone posted:

that awful thread

What awful thread is this? I enjoy lurking.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ungulateman posted:

2) Are we ever going to see four-set blocks like Lorwyn / Shadowmoor again? I loved those blocks and I feel like the four-block format works really well for spreading out the Standard format (also, Kithkin were the best white weenies).

This happened because they didn't have a secondary Summer product (Modern Masters, Commander, etc.) ready to go that year, so they just asked Rosewater to put a 4th set into the block they were working on instead. Rosewater then came up with the double block structure to fill that gap. Certainly possible in the future, but unlikely, especially since they're planning up to 7 years ahead at this point.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

I would love to watch a new player try and figure out how in the hell they are supposed to win with doomsday. I mean, would they even cast the namesake card?

In this year's DOTP, the last puzzle in the expansion is basically a super convoluted storm combo with Tendrils that involves repeatedly tapping lands, untapping with Great Whale off Sneak Attack, sacrificing it, recurring it, Tendrils, dumping the hand, Infernal Tutor, Past in Flames, repeat as many times as possible, Tendrils again.

Not the same but similar in the idea of handing a new guy a bunch of ridiculous tools and making him play some weird complex poo poo.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The High Tide vs Solidarity match up is truly the greatest of all matchups. Its like watching someone masturbate for 30 minutes and then all of a sudden someone else comes and also masturbates for 30 minutes after the first person. Its great.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yeah, what differentiates the Zendikar symbol from, say, the Onslaught symbol is that hedrons are plastered absolutely everywhere in the card art. You don't have to even read the flavor text to know that hedrons = Zendikar. I remember very few cards in Onslaught where morphed creatures were clearly depicted. There were definitely some, but they weren't as ubiquitous.
Was there any story reason actually given for why everyone was turning back and forth into weird 4 legged stump things? Mechanically Morph is fun but flavor wise it's probably the most gross/creepy mechanic and has always bothered me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, what was the flavor of Morph supposed to be, for those of us who weren't playing at the time and didn't read the schlocky novels?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Was there any story reason actually given for why everyone was turning back and forth into weird 4 legged stump things? Mechanically Morph is fun but flavor wise it's probably the most gross/creepy mechanic and has always bothered me.

I believe it's some combination of Ixidor being a reality shaping jerk and the Mirari messing everything up.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

Yeah, what was the flavor of Morph supposed to be, for those of us who weren't playing at the time and didn't read the schlocky novels?

They didn't really have a handle on it, I'm pretty sure that the "official"/novel line was that the spider things were foci through which Ixidor summoned poo poo, but then they have stuff like art of smashing one open with a hammer to reveal a cephalid hiding inside (and the card's name is literally Break Open, so it's not just like it was the artist getting his wires crossed; Creative had to decide that was happening).

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
It literally never comes up in the storyline. Onslaught block is a jumbled mess story-wise and easily the worst plotline.

Reminder: Akroma is a panther-taur angel before Legions even starts.
Phage and the Cabal Patriarch have a god-wizard-baby together.
The heroes of the story are literally black silhouettes who are never mentioned in the cards. They get cockroach bodies later on.
Mutations from the Mirari are never really mentioned at all, ever.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I am soooooo dumb, I just realized the next block is going to be Sarkhan Vol's home plane.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

50 pounds of bread posted:

I am soooooo dumb, I just realized the next block is going to be Sarkhan Vol's home plane.

It would be interesting if it is, since that's a plane that's been confirmed to have no dragons.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

50 pounds of bread posted:

What plane and how do you know?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I mean maybe it isn't and is just baseless speculation, but I have a *feeling*.

Edit: in fact, if tarkir doesn't have dragons, then I am just plainly wrong, but I thought one of the expansions was "Dragons of Tarkir", and constantly warring warlords that hunt dragons pretty much sounds like what tarkir is about.

50 pounds of bread fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 26, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

If the next block is indeed Mongol-themed, I'd be very happy.

Horsemanship. :getin:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Horsemanship. :getin:

Casuals

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Livingtrope posted:

Eggs isn't really that annoying, it's like playing with lands in front or whatever. If you wanted to make someone and yourself miserable you'd play Four Horseman.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Chorocojo posted:

It literally never comes up in the storyline. Onslaught block is a jumbled mess story-wise and easily the worst plotline.

Reminder: Akroma is a panther-taur angel before Legions even starts.
Phage and the Cabal Patriarch have a god-wizard-baby together.
The heroes of the story are literally black silhouettes who are never mentioned in the cards. They get cockroach bodies later on.
Mutations from the Mirari are never really mentioned at all, ever.

I just read the synopsis on the Onslaught block storyline on MTGSalvWiki and holy crap. Karona summons Yawgmoth for an audience? :catbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Eggs isn't really that annoying, it's like playing with lands in front or whatever. If you wanted to make someone and yourself miserable you'd play Four Horseman.

Well, that is why I said I'd play it in a specifically annoying fashion :v:

I seem to recall some big Legacy.jpg, was Four Horseman the one that was "play this if you hate everyone" option?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

I just read the synopsis on the Onslaught block storyline on MTGSalvWiki and holy crap. Karona summons Yawgmoth for an audience? :catbert:

I think the accepted interpretation is that those are effectively hallucinations or at least not of the same reality since Yawgmoth has been dead for a long time and Teferi in Time Spiral had never met Karona.

Maybe they're just manifestations of aspects of Dominarian mana, but they're not the main canon versions of those characters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Livingtrope posted:

Well, that is why I said I'd play it in a specifically annoying fashion :v:

I seem to recall some big Legacy.jpg, was Four Horseman the one that was "play this if you hate everyone" option?

You could still lose with eggs if you played wrong. The only problem with four horsemen is that you had to do the iteration a number of times approaching infinity to make sure the pieces fell in the right order. So it's only a negative if you value your time. *posts in wizard thread*

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What plane and how do you know?

I'm going to assume its from here

quote:

Sarkhan Vol comes from a plane where territorial warlords vie against each other in unending, brutal war. On this plane, dragons have long since been hunted to extinction for sport and glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AgentAO posted:

I'm going to assume its from here

Would be cool if they tie dragons being resurrected into the storyline. Dragonspeaker Shaman reprint? :getin:

• Locked thread