Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

alg posted:

It's like it's a niche hobby for collectors

Yeah, but I know lots of people that that were interested in vinyl, but not so much classic stuff that just couldn't afford it. Spending a lot on a turntable, receiver, and speakers sucks when you only have 5 records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
File sharing has really skewed the value of music, hasn't it? MSRP for records is really no different than it was for Cd's 15/20 years ago. Maybe less taking inflation into account. They're not really that much more expensive than cd's now. It's a lot easier to find deals on CDs though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

cosmicjim posted:

Records would be so much more popular if those sears prices were normal prices.
I spend $100s of dollars on new records when they are less than $12 each. I spend zero dollars on new records when they are $18+.

I'm with you 100%. The rise in vinyl prices has made me far less likely to buy anything at all. Luckily for me I like enough noise/punk/metal where the prices often stay low, especially when buying direct from artists and labels. I'll happily support a band by buying their $10 LP, but once the price goes much higher it has to be something I absolutely need.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I've noticed Vinyl prices for the most part in the last year or so have gone down actually. It seems like when the whole "Vinyl revival" or whatever first started the new prices were insane, now you can get plenty of decent albums for under 20 bucks.

That's just locally though, I wouldn't know about everywhere else but I would assume the rest of the US would be similar.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

JehovahsWetness posted:

~80-100 depending on gatefolds, etc. 100 LPs is pretty damnn tight, though. Also, I put a tight fit 1x2 block stop in the rear of each cube on my big shelf to line everything up and not have poo poo slide out the back. Adds a little stability, too.

You must have some flimsy-rear end sleeves or something because my cubes hold like, 60-70 each maximum. I have just under 200 records and they take up this much space:

Also you Americans have it relatively easy re: new record prices. I bought a new album when I was in San Francisco for $23, I've only seen it for $45ish here.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

JehovahsWetness posted:

Also, I put a tight fit 1x2 block stop in the rear of each cube on my big shelf to line everything up and not have poo poo slide out the back. Adds a little stability, too.

Hey that's a really good idea. I'm going to have to use that, my bookcase can't sit completely against the wall due to cables / space issues. How long were the blocks to get them to be tight fitting? I think I might have to make a stop at Home Depot tomorrow.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

david puddy posted:

You must have some flimsy-rear end sleeves or something because my cubes hold like, 60-70 each maximum. I have just under 200 records and they take up this much space:

Yeah, I way overshot. I just went and counter two cubes and they both have just under 60 each and each had a number of impulse style gatefolds.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Hey that's a really good idea. I'm going to have to use that, my bookcase can't sit completely against the wall due to cables / space issues. How long were the blocks to get them to be tight fitting? I think I might have to make a stop at Home Depot tomorrow.

I honestly don't remember the inner dimensions of a cube. Tolerances aren't that tight, though, because of manufacturing and assembly. What I did was measure off the inner width, miter a block to length, then find the cube that it fit the tightest in. Liquid nails and c-clamps overnight.

Also records:

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 26, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

haha, it came in

i'm only a little irked that the packaging let moisture in during the mailing process (yes, I've already replaced it), but i'm over it

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Pookdaddy G fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 9, 2021

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Mike_V posted:

If you have one of the weird brick and mortar Sears that aren't really clothing stores in your area, you can still find some pretty cheap vinyl records. I don't know if they're just slow on the draw, but I grabbed the Dredd OST, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and Random Access Memories for under $35. The pricing might be determined by individual store managers, so there's still hope!

I just realized there's a brick-and-mortar Sears not ten minutes away from me. I just flipped a mint copy of MGMT's Congratulations, so I have a few bucks in my pocket. Awesome!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Mike_V posted:

If you have one of the weird brick and mortar Sears that aren't really clothing stores in your area, you can still find some pretty cheap vinyl records. I don't know if they're just slow on the draw, but I grabbed the Dredd OST, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and Random Access Memories for under $35. The pricing might be determined by individual store managers, so there's still hope!

Any idea on whether or not ones connected to malls would have vinyl?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

new Screaming Females up for pre-order http://dongiovannirecords.com/news/screaming-females-live-at-the-hideout

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Lenin posted:

You could call them. Some mall Sears are literally twice the size of others.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CRINDY posted:

I just realized there's a brick-and-mortar Sears not ten minutes away from me. I just flipped a mint copy of MGMT's Congratulations, so I have a few bucks in my pocket. Awesome!

Is that fetching high prices or something?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CRINDY posted:

MGMT's Congratulations

I don't know much about MGMT aside from Time to Pretend, so I was pretty surprised to see it was produced by Sonic Boom and has art by Anthony Ausgang, it's practically an Experimental Audio Research release! I was kind of a sucker for EAR when that started, but pretty much never listen to any of it anymore, just sticking with Spacemen 3 for my Sonic Boom needs.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cosmicjim posted:

Spending a lot on a turntable, receiver, and speakers sucks when you only have 5 records.

Maybe try not spending a lot on them, then? I might be talking out of my rear end, but surely you can get the whole hog for under 100 bux in like any city?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

CPL593H posted:

Is that fetching high prices or something?

Well, I bought for $30 and listed it for $90 on Discogs and it sold in less than an hour. Amazon's listings are at $200+, so I don't know if the prices are because of a poisoned market or if I just sold really low.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ras Het posted:

Maybe try not spending a lot on them, then? I might be talking out of my rear end, but surely you can get the whole hog for under 100 bux in like any city?

You're not talking out of your rear end at all.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Dr. Lenin posted:

Not sure, man. The one in my area is in a strip mall and doesn't sell clothing (or very little of it). Like I said, you might just want to go down to the physical location if there's one around you and see what the prices are. A goon can still survive in this era of Vinyl Record inflation. Also, I know whoever changed the title of this thread was trying to take the piss, but there is also a JC Penney in my area (Kansas) that had a handful of vinyl records in the miscellaneous area of the store so you might want to check out those as well!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Ras Het posted:

I'm a flea market and thrift store shopper. Finding speakers, a reciever, and a turntable for less than $100 is possible, but not always easy. Good speakers? OK, Go to enough yardsales and thriftstores and scour craigslist and you will find speakers for $20. $20 you might find a good reciever too. A good turntable? Requires more luck. If it's a vintage turntable it probably needs a new cartridge/needle. How much is that? How much gas and time did you just spend to find that? Forntunately, we are goons and our time is worthless.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have more trouble finding good speakers honestly.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
have you checked sears

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

You guys should buy your records from the labels or artists instead of loving Sears, the epitome of all that's wrong with Corporate America. In fact, the vast majority of the artists that get named in this thread would probably be incredibly ashamed that you're flipping records and inflating Sears' profits like this. You know why records cost more at indie record shops? Because they can't put loving Chinese labor jeans out as a loss leader for $20 at the door. Just really sad.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Since nobody really posts their thrift store finds anymore, here's what I picked up at Goodwill today for $1.35 each:

There was a few other 12" singles of the freestyle genre (The Cover Girls and Exposé were the only ones I recognized), but I have a hard time buying singles because they mostly take up space and never get played. Although the two records I'm most psyched about finding are the New Order and Dominatrix singles. I'm happy to finally find The Graduate as well, it pretty much completes the Simon and Garfunkle records I wanted to eventually get.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

etcetera08 posted:

You guys should buy your records from the labels or artists instead of loving Sears, the epitome of all that's wrong with Corporate America. In fact, the vast majority of the artists that get named in this thread would probably be incredibly ashamed that you're flipping records and inflating Sears' profits like this. You know why records cost more at indie record shops? Because they can't put loving Chinese labor jeans out as a loss leader for $20 at the door. Just really sad.

ok

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

etcetera08 posted:

This is all true but gently caress those indie record stores too. I'm not paying jacked up prices so some local rear end in a top hat can live a life that makes me completely jealous. God that must be fun.

Speaking of local-ish stores, I finally checked out the new Rough Trade in Brooklyn, and it's pretty amazing. It's got all the high prices you would expect, in a huge industrial space with rooms made out of shipping containers. There's an effects pedal area where you can play a synth or a guitar through all sorts of boutique pedals. There's catwalks, a gallery, and a performance space. Boycott multinational independent record stores!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

etcetera08 posted:

This is really true. The two records I bought were from the UK so I didn't mind paying half price for them. Everything else I buy from labels.

Mostly gently caress record stores though, none of them carry the ~underground music~ I like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

etcetera08 posted:

I bought a copy of Sports so get bent.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I can't wait to go Sears and buy the garden state sound track.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

spacebrospiff posted:

I can't wait to go Sears and buy the garden state sound track.

Ok now you're supporting the motion picture industry and that's even worse than Chinese prison camp jeans.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CRINDY posted:

Well, I bought for $30 and listed it for $90 on Discogs and it sold in less than an hour. Amazon's listings are at $200+, so I don't know if the prices are because of a poisoned market or if I just sold really low.

Well I remember when I bought it there was a :siren:LIMITED EDITION:siren: sticker on it, but I figured it wasn't going to be all that limited what with it being a top 40 band from a major label. I love that album, so I wouldn't dream of selling it but I'm always surprised when the price of something I just walked into a store and bought like a regular thing goes apeshit.

etcetera08 posted:

I spend hundreds of dollars (often per visit) in locally owned shops. On the rare occasion I deign to buy something from a big box store I don't think it's going to put anyone out of business. In this case I didn't actually buy anything from Sears, but trying to shame people for taking advantage of a great sale is pretty bullshit. Especially when the labels are gouging prices because the hip college kids are into records. It's not like we're all going to get all our records from Sears now. In fact everyone here has outright said they're not going to now that the sale is done.

I agree with you about flipping though. It's really scummy and I hate that so many albums are inaccessible to fans of the actual music because people want to price gouge them.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I'm always surprised when the price of something I just walked into a store and bought like a regular thing goes apeshit.

The worst is when you didn't buy something you could have and then it goes apeshit. If I had bought every copy of Brand New - Deja Entendu I had the opportunity to buy I'd be able to pay all my bills for the rest of the year. One copy just sold for $550 on ebay. There are thousands of copies too.

I'd also be able to make some kick rear end bowls.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
RIP Sears. For two glorious weeks you took all of my money and in exchange gave me beyond-belief deals on many incredible records. Now you are objectively worse than amazon.

Good night sweet prince.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I tried to look for some nujabes but it appears he didn't put his albums on vinyl.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Snowy posted:

Speaking of local-ish stores, I finally checked out the new Rough Trade in Brooklyn, and it's pretty amazing. It's got all the high prices you would expect, in a huge industrial space with rooms made out of shipping containers. There's an effects pedal area where you can play a synth or a guitar through all sorts of boutique pedals. There's catwalks, a gallery, and a performance space. Boycott multinational independent record stores!

Rough Trade's Brooklyn store has had one big issue since opening - most of their scheduled live performances have either been cancelled or moved to other venues in the area. Despite the prices, the place has stocked some decent "exclusive" releases like the Sky Ferreira LP on green vinyl before it went up on her web store and both of the xx singles box sets. They've had some cool in-store signings recently, too. St. Vincent was really sweet and chatted for a few minutes with everyone who showed up to get her new album signed the other day.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I stop following the vinyl thread for a few weeks and I miss Pinkerton for $10 and all other sorts of cool poo poo.

This is a bummer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

interpunct posted:

Rough Trade's Brooklyn store has had one big issue since opening - most of their scheduled live performances have either been cancelled or moved to other venues in the area. Despite the prices, the place has stocked some decent "exclusive" releases like the Sky Ferreira LP on green vinyl before it went up on her web store and both of the xx singles box sets. They've had some cool in-store signings recently, too. St. Vincent was really sweet and chatted for a few minutes with everyone who showed up to get her new album signed the other day.

Annie Clark is super nice. I saw her with David Byrne and after the show she came out and was talking to the fans and signed poo poo. Also, she's a tiny little person. She looks big on tv, but she's so small. It's adorable.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

etcetera08 posted:

I don't give a poo poo what "artists" think. If you have an axe to grind, take it up with the real criminals trying to ruin this hobby. (i.e. people who flip records or the organizers of Record Store Day).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

I don't give a poo poo what "artists" think. If you have an axe to grind, take it up with the real criminals trying to ruin this hobby. (i.e. people who flip records or the organizers of Record Store Day).

You're not being forced to buy RSD releases. How are the organizers criminals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
There are like 4 or 5 things I really kind of want this RSD. Crap.