Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Had some problems myself a week and a half ago. Flew from STL to DAY via ORD, and even though we weren't having weather, all the east coast issues led to quite a lot of changes for me:

Definitely would have been faster to just change my rental to one way and drive home, but eh, I didn't mind too much. Finally got to see the inside of the United club at CLE before they dehub it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
Yeah, I fled NY for BWI on a 3 AM train hoping to catch a flight to CLT and then drive to RDU. I also booked a backup flight for BWI-RDU the following day on SW, which is what I ended up using. My much less experienced coworker decided to stay in NY (she really thought flights were going to leave!) and ended up stuck there until Sunday. Plus, she didn't use the company travel agent so she's still be unable to get refunds for the flights she missed. One 10 minute call to Concur and they took care of everything.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I did all my flight rebooking directly via Delta (since it was irops so I didn't have to worry about fees) so my concur itinerary looks like a mess. About 20 different itineraries were showing up at various points in time and my final routing looks like I just got drunk and decided to see how many airports I could travel to in a day.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Thoguh posted:

I did all my flight rebooking directly via Delta (since it was irops so I didn't have to worry about fees) so my concur itinerary looks like a mess. About 20 different itineraries were showing up at various points in time and my final routing looks like I just got drunk and decided to see how many airports I could travel to in a day.

Delta's wait times were upwards of 17 hours at one point.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheLizard posted:

Delta's wait times were upwards of 17 hours at one point.

drat, I never waited more than about 20 seconds for the Platinum line. I revert back to Gold at the end of this week so I'm glad this went down before my status decreased.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Thoguh posted:

drat, I never waited more than about 20 seconds for the Platinum line. I revert back to Gold at the end of this week so I'm glad this went down before my status decreased.

Yeah, I'm getting used to this non-hub base in RDU. I'm on a different airline every flight. It blows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At least RDU is a nice physical terminal.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

sellouts posted:

I don't know if there is a better city than NYC to be stuck in on someone else's dime.

San Francisco has to be at least on par. I was there for 2 weeks. Loved the city.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I feel like most cities are OK to be stuck in on someone else's dime. I probably wouldn't go to the Twin Cities on my own dollar, but on the company's, an extra day wasn't bad.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least RDU is a nice physical terminal.

The non-Southwest terminal, yeah. Plus, it's 5 miles from my house (as opposed to 35-45 when I lived in DC), I've never had to struggle to find decent parking and it never takes more than 10 minutes to get through security. It's a nice change but the lack of direct routes is kind of killer. I'm taking over a few Cleveland accounts soon and there won't be a direct flight to CLE until June (and god knows how much it'll cost).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like most cities are OK to be stuck in on someone else's dime. I probably wouldn't go to the Twin Cities on my own dollar, but on the company's, an extra day wasn't bad.

I have paid out of my own pocket to get out of Columbus earlier than work would pay for.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I suppose that's the advantage of being based out of DAY; nearly everywhere seems exciting by comparison - even Columbus.

I mean, we have the USAF museum, and...

But yeah, regional jets ahoy and connect through O'Hare for half my flights.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So apparently Delta is finally moving to spend-based mileage earning.

Edit: delta.com/skymiles2015

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 26, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

So apparently Delta is finally moving to spend-based mileage earning.

Edit: delta.com/skymiles2015

This isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Really, status is the only thing that matters and that's unchanged from 2014's program. Based on my mileage earning last year, I'll lose about 25% of my non-MQMs. I can live with that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're ok with a 25% reduction? Why?

The winners here are short flight, last minute Y fare purchasers. The losers are everyone else.

If I were on DL my miles per year would be roughly halved. I can't wait to see their promised changes to award availability.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Because I don't give a gently caress about regular miles. I always have way more than I ever use. All I care about are changes to the Medallion program.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Status matters, I agree, but it is largely the same everywhere as it's a product of frequency. Miles are an incredible award with real monetary value for spending and traveling as much. It seems really strange to be ok with making 25% less when there are other options out there but I guess I am just a sperg about that sort of thing. Anyways after finally using mine I realize there will never be enough. And if there is I should look to change my work/life balance.

I am stoked to have choices based on where I live and my travel patterns as this type of change would cause me to status match out of DL. For others locked into a DL hub I guess you have to just deal with it. Unfortunate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Yeah, this more than cuts in half how much I'd earn once the various bonus stuff is applied. Like for my trip last week I got a total of 14,429 miles once all was said and done. Under this new formula I would only get around 5,000. And I tend to buy more expensive tickets since my trips aren't planned more than a week or two in advance.

This seriously impacts my ability to earn miles. And those miles are what pay for my vacations. And those vacations are why my girlfriend puts up with me being gone all the time.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 26, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

1,000 dollar fare (less if you have status) for that length of flight seems pretty standard and not that expensive, no?

quote:

And those miles are what pay for my vacations. And those vacations are why my girlfriend puts up with me being gone all the time.

Bingo.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 26, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

1,000 dollar fare (less if you have status) for that length of flight seems pretty standard and not that expensive, no?

Bingo.

That was with all the various bonus's applied. The original itinerary (which ended up getting all hosed due to the weather) was my home airport to MSP, MSP-SNA, SNA-ATL, ATL to my home airport. About 4500 butt in seat miles total. Plus if this is like the MQD program they implemented this year you don't get credit for your full ticket price. All the various fees and taxes are subtracted.

Since Delta values miles at about 1 cpm, that change is almost a $100 decrease in value to me, for a single round trip. Really more than that since if you are flexible you can get a lot more that 1 cpm in value out of a reward ticket.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 26, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sellouts posted:

The winners here are short flight, last minute Y fare purchasers.

:woop:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I ran the numbers for this year so far and under 2015 rules I'd be getting 49% of the miles I have earned so far this year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm probably moving over to be United despite being DTW.

1. Delta poo poo rear end mileage benefit compared to Star Alliance
2. Blue deck parking instead of having to take off site parking shuttle and getting the hell rattled out of me (also save like 20 minutes)
3. Work pays for business class since the United/Star Alliance carrier fares are within the low-fare percentage rule and Delta is not

Do a couple litmus tests and see how it goes.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
The spend based RDMs aren't really that annoying if it actually increases availability. 0-1 seats per flight for any TPAC on Delta metal is terrible. Holding back on redemption charts and partner accrual is the worst part of this. If they drop MQM earning on AF/KLM I'm out.

Wait no I'm not I'm ATL based.

Anyone familiar with British Airs program? I guess ATL-LHR-KUL hits all my main mile earning destinations but screws my domestic upgrade chance. Most of my redemption is TATL/TPAC.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Arzakon posted:

Anyone familiar with British Airs program? I guess ATL-LHR-KUL hits all my main mile earning destinations but screws my domestic upgrade chance. Most of my redemption is TATL/TPAC.
British Airways? We use their points a lot.

Their redemption system can be good for short to mid-haul coach and business class. You generally want to avoid it on first class fares and international flights to/from the UK, since those often have hilariously high surcharges added.

Plus, you can actually pool your points with your family members, although redeeming for anyone outside the family becomes difficult if you do this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can't you transfer Avios into AA miles as well?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm probably moving over to be United despite being DTW.

1. Delta poo poo rear end mileage benefit compared to Star Alliance
2. Blue deck parking instead of having to take off site parking shuttle and getting the hell rattled out of me (also save like 20 minutes)
3. Work pays for business class since the United/Star Alliance carrier fares are within the low-fare percentage rule and Delta is not

Do a couple litmus tests and see how it goes.

Unless Delta gets the poo poo kicked out of them every airline is going to be doing this in the next few years so don't expect Star Alliance to be a refuge for very long.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

sellouts posted:

Can't you transfer Avios into AA miles as well?

Can't transfer but can use to book on AA - same distance-based chart applies (which makes DC-NYC be only 4,500 miles one way which is great)

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Morby posted:

San Francisco has to be at least on par. I was there for 2 weeks. Loved the city.

SF is nowhere on par to NYC. I like Chicago better than SF to be honest.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Reading flyertalk about this is why it is such a terrible place. Lots of people crowing about how this will just help the "high value customer" and since that's them they are thrilled. But personally I guess I'm more of a medium value customer. I live in a non-hub serviced by all the big airlines and a few budget airlines with flights to places like Vegas and Florida, so ticket prices aren't insane like they'd be at a captive hub. And my work policy requires me to buy tickets that are within a reasonable amount of the cheapest available (and I certainly couldn't buy a more expensive fare class for a given flight if a cheaper class was available). But if I'm buying a short notice ticket I often end up with an expensive fare. The MQD change last year didn't really impact me, I easily go over the minimums. And based on my experiences talking to people from other companies I've always felt that my company's policies were pretty standard. If anything they are generous since they allow us some leeway in getting the flights we want even if they aren't the absolute cheapest.

So basically it seems like Delta is sending a big "screw you" to all the people like me, who I'd assumed made up a big chunk of their business. The occasional leisure traveler doesn't get enough miles to care about what airline they are on, and the guys flying first class international on a regular basis are getting a big bump in miles from this change. But all the people in the middle are getting the shaft.

So either Delta doesn't earn profits from people like myself, or they really do just think that we've got nowhere else to go given that their are only two other options left.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Or they know you have few options and will eventually get over it. Not to mention the likelihood of other airlines following their decision.

I do think it will be interesting to see what programs they offering terms of route based mileage increases. Like if JFK - lax is lagging, do they bump it to 10 miles per dollar? It was always interesting when AA did that sort of stuff.

I was talking to people last night and drat does it feel good to have 0 EQM 60 days into this year. It won't last for much longer but it feels like the benefits of traveling for work are getting fewer and fewer. I'm probably just getting older.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Well, time to switch over to Alaska and credit Delta flights to Alaska!

Fun fact, Alaska elites are eligible for Delta upgrades.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Thoguh posted:

Reading flyertalk about this is why it is such a terrible place. Lots of people crowing about how this will just help the "high value customer" and since that's them they are thrilled.

I've started doing a little manufactured spending to quickly hit the spending requirement on that AA World Elite card and good lord that particular forum is full of horrible discussion. Here I thought car forums were as bad as it gets with RTFM type posts, yet I love how they don't hesitate to push trying "new" methods on others and wait for their response.

And for anyone interested, the process is pretty easy. You just need to be lucky enough to have a CVS around with Vanilla Reloads, but a growing method these days is loading funds onto a Serve card.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hello my frequent business travel brethren! I will have to travel to Australia once, maybe twice, this year from the East coast of the USA. These trips will be business class. Does anyone have any particular feedback on specific airlines' business class cabins? Most interested in the Gulf carriers, Qantas and Virgin Australia.

Also, any advice on going East or West? I'm getting options to do both, some two-hops and some three in both directions. I think the advantage to going East is that I could take one of the Gulf carriers on a two hop, but the layovers and times seem pretty brutal for the most part.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've got a buddy with an 8 hour layover in Munich. Anything to do at that airport? It seems pretty far from the city proper but, then again, 8 hours is a good chunk of time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

I've got a buddy with an 8 hour layover in Munich. Anything to do at that airport? It seems pretty far from the city proper but, then again, 8 hours is a good chunk of time.

I've only been there once but it didn't seem like much of an airport. 8 hours would be enough time to leave, walk around a bit and hit up a biergarten or something, and make it back to the airport with time to spare. If he planned an hour travel each way to the city center via train he'd be safe. If I remember right the train ride itself was about 30-40 minutes but you have to walk a little bit to get to the train from the gates.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also, any advice on going East or West? I'm getting options to do both, some two-hops and some three in both directions. I think the advantage to going East is that I could take one of the Gulf carriers on a two hop, but the layovers and times seem pretty brutal for the most part.

I've done both. It's much shorter going West. East via Dubai is two 14 hours flights. West is a 14 hour flight (LAX-SYD) and a 6 hour one (NYC-LAX).

I did it because I wanted to see Dubai, and because I added a stopover in Singapore. But probably wouldn't go that way again.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shbobdb posted:

That airport sucks. The train in to the city is a bit less than an hour and it will get you pretty close to the Hofbrau Haus and/or he can check out Englischer Garten and the Eisbach. It is Germany (and Munich especially), so he can set his watch by the trains.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
In my experience, going west is always easier. If you can handle it, I would say just take the nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Qantas biz class was pretty terrible. I loved Cathay 777 to hkg. Getting out of the South Pacific I took the Cathay a340 out of Auckland back to Hong Kong and that plane owns. Herringbone seating but I loved the foot rest out on taxi takeoff and landing.

But stopping in hkg does add a size able amount of time.

And here I am in an uber on the way to my first biz trip of the year. On my way to no status this year :toot: