Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
FYI Next, like anything with cell phones, does not help your credit. Wireless carriers don't report good payments, only non payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Lethanialist posted:

If you want to play it safe, go to your local AT&T store, give someone a commission, and let them handle it. Turn down the up sells but have someone to blame if things go wrong!

I ended up doing this. Paper says that lines added prior to February 1st has the $25 discount so I'm not going to be paying like $300 for my cellphone bill. Thanks for the advice! I feel so much better now. :toot:

Lethanialist
Sep 10, 2006

Mom said not to run down the escalator. I hate it when Mom's right.

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI Next, like anything with cell phones, does not help your credit. Wireless carriers don't report good payments, only non payments.

Does it appear as a line of credit on your report though? I'm not worried about missing payments, I'm just worried it looks like a store card: $650 line of credit with a $650 balance per iPhone I buy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have ATT Next, and have an iPhone 5S. If I want to terminate my ATT service, I would owe the remainder of the retail price at the time of switch?

I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile because I cancelled my home internet line and T-Mobile includes (some) free tethering.

If I do, is there any strange way to get out of it, like using an obscene amount of (unlimited) wireless data and having AT&T terminate my service or anything?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 23, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lethanialist posted:

Does it appear as a line of credit on your report though? I'm not worried about missing payments, I'm just worried it looks like a store card: $650 line of credit with a $650 balance per iPhone I buy.

Wireless in the US never shows on your credit unless you get sent to collections. So you're good.

Next functions like a credit card in some ways, but it doesn't show on your report in any way.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have ATT Next, and have an iPhone 5S. If I want to terminate my ATT service, I would owe the remainder of the retail price at the time of switch?

I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile because I cancelled my home internet line and T-Mobile includes (some) free tethering.

If I do, is there any strange way to get out of it, like using an obscene amount of (unlimited) wireless data and having AT&T terminate my service or anything?

Nope. Pay the balance, sell phone to make up difference if you want to.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Before I go and change over to a business plan, are there any benefits? I'll still be on the mobile share value plan.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm not sure if this holds true for all the plans ATT have, but I know the mobile share value includes free tethering.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dradien posted:

I'm not sure if this holds true for all the plans ATT have, but I know the mobile share value includes free tethering.

I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, question.

I am switching my account over to a Mobile Share Value on my next Billing Cycle in about 2 weeks. Its already set up, 10 gigs, 3 lines at 15$ each.

Once it is active, I want to ad another existing line (my brother) to the account. He is planning on getting a Moto G and porting his number over. He is currently on Virgin Mobile (no contract). What is the best way to go about this change, seeing as we are not in the city, so cannot walk into an ATT store together. Can he just give the SIM ID and I port the number and activate the line through the website? Any advice on how to handle the changeover would be appreciated.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
I'm looking into switching my Family Plan (5 lines currently, all in contract before 2/1/2014) to the Mobile Share Value, saving about ~100/month.

However, I'm also a fine-print reader and I saw this at the bottom of the Mobile Share Value Plan page "Limit 4 financed devices per wireless account". What exactly does this include?

Since the Mobile Share can have up to 10 lines, I could save even more money adding some other lines currently on other plans, but it would be hard sell if those lines couldn't use NEXT.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

emocrat posted:

So, question.

I am switching my account over to a Mobile Share Value on my next Billing Cycle in about 2 weeks. Its already set up, 10 gigs, 3 lines at 15$ each.

Once it is active, I want to ad another existing line (my brother) to the account. He is planning on getting a Moto G and porting his number over. He is currently on Virgin Mobile (no contract). What is the best way to go about this change, seeing as we are not in the city, so cannot walk into an ATT store together. Can he just give the SIM ID and I port the number and activate the line through the website? Any advice on how to handle the changeover would be appreciated.

Best way is you port the number and add him as an authorized user, then he just goes into a store and requests a new SIM card.

Jobert posted:

I'm looking into switching my Family Plan (5 lines currently, all in contract before 2/1/2014) to the Mobile Share Value, saving about ~100/month.

However, I'm also a fine-print reader and I saw this at the bottom of the Mobile Share Value Plan page "Limit 4 financed devices per wireless account". What exactly does this include?

Since the Mobile Share can have up to 10 lines, I could save even more money adding some other lines currently on other plans, but it would be hard sell if those lines couldn't use NEXT.

Customer accounts can only do 4 Next Plans at a time. Maybe just get a Moto X or Nexus 5 that are pretty cheap outright for two of them?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Duckman2008 posted:

Best way is you port the number and add him as an authorized user, then he just goes into a store and requests a new SIM card.

Sounds good. Given the current promotion, will the act of me porting the number over trigger the $100 credit for opening a new line?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

emocrat posted:

Sounds good. Given the current promotion, will the act of me porting the number over trigger the $100 credit for opening a new line?

Yes.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Perfect. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

emocrat posted:

I just want to make it clear for you, as I don't think it was very clear here (no offense Duckman).

If your brother is the account holder, he has to call and add the line of service, PRIOR to you going to a store and getting the sim card. If you walk into my store as an authorized user and want to add a line of service, I would tell you tough luck and tell you to get your brother into the store, EVEN THOUGH you are an authorized user.

Whenever you add a line of service to an account, we run a credit check. You technically can not run credit in your brothers name.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
OK, good to know. I think I got it I'll go through it to make sure.

The Account is in my name and already exists and is in good standing. I will do the following:

Go online, port a number, enter his existing number and any necessary information.
Port Goes Through.
I add him as an Authorized user.
He goes to the store and gets a SIM for his phone, to use on the line that is now already created and assigned to his old number.

Sound right?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

emocrat posted:

OK, good to know. I think I got it I'll go through it to make sure.

The Account is in my name and already exists and is in good standing. I will do the following:

Go online, port a number, enter his existing number and any necessary information.
Port Goes Through.
I add him as an Authorized user.
He goes to the store and gets a SIM for his phone, to use on the line that is now already created and assigned to his old number.

Sound right?

Yep, that will work. As long as the line is already established.

Lethanialist
Sep 10, 2006

I just saw an article on Engadget that Mobile Share plans will get free international texting starting on the 28th: http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/25/atandt-free-unlimited-international-messaging/

I don't see a source link for this. Looks like there's a lot of articles around the web confirming the change, though.

Will this automatically work on my family plan or will we need to enable a feature somewhere? I'm assuming I can just type any number into the Messages app on my iPhone starting in March and it'll take care of the rest for no charge.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lethanialist posted:

I just saw an article on Engadget that Mobile Share plans will get free international texting starting on the 28th: http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/25/atandt-free-unlimited-international-messaging/

I don't see a source link for this. Looks like there's a lot of articles around the web confirming the change, though.

Will this automatically work on my family plan or will we need to enable a feature somewhere? I'm assuming I can just type any number into the Messages app on my iPhone starting in March and it'll take care of the rest for no charge.

They just announced it today, and yes from what I gather anyone on any mobile share place gets the international features automatically.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
So no more $0.50 text messages for texting while in Europe?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

CharlesM posted:

So no more $0.50 text messages for texting while in Europe?

It's only for texts originating in the US.

Weak compared to T-Mobile's offering.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pissingintowind posted:

With all the changes recently, I would say hopefully they will get to changing the rest.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Meowjesty posted:

I ended up doing this. Paper says that lines added prior to February 1st has the $25 discount so I'm not going to be paying like $300 for my cellphone bill. Thanks for the advice! I feel so much better now. :toot:

As a follow-up to this: bill just printed, being charged the full $40 per line. :saddowns: I guess I need to go down to the store after work.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Meowjesty posted:

As a follow-up to this: bill just printed, being charged the full $40 per line. :saddowns: I guess I need to go down to the store after work.

Yeah, I heard there is an issue. Sadly some people's change was not displaying the discount properly. However, it says that the next bill will retroactively apply the discount (although you can probably argue this with care and get it now).

Don't kill the messenger. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

Well that's still good for me. But if you know somebody who spends 11 months in Europe would T-mobile just kick you off for plan abuse?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Well that's still good for me. But if you know somebody who spends 11 months in Europe would T-mobile just kick you off for plan abuse?

Yes. T-Mobile says that their free foreign roaming is not meant for extended travel periods and that the majority of your time needs to be spent in the US.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Yeah, I heard there is an issue. Sadly some people's change was not displaying the discount properly. However, it says that the next bill will retroactively apply the discount (although you can probably argue this with care and get it now).

Don't kill the messenger. :)

My personal plan had this issue. My next bill posts in a few days so I'll be able to confirm if I get the backdated proration credit or not.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goku chewbacca posted:

Yes. T-Mobile says that their free foreign roaming is not meant for extended travel periods and that the majority of your time needs to be spent in the US.

I figured it has an "acceptable use policy" but it's always worth checking ;)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was trying to do a crossover upgrade from my brother's acct (has been eligible for years) and we just switched to the 10gb value share plan from the 10gb mobile share plan.

They explained it to me on the phone like if we were customers before feb 2 our lines would continue to cost $15 each, regardless of what phone we had on them. Trying to use my brother's upgrade, however, tells me that the new charges will be $40 a month for that phone. It seems that what they really mean is "from now on if you want to upgrade your phone with the subsidy it will cost you $40 a month."

Is my understanding of that right? Because if so, goddamn we should have used the 3 eligible upgrades a month ago.

As a follow-up: I can still buy a phone outright and swap my sim over while continuing to pay $15 a month, right?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 26, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I was trying to do a crossover upgrade from my brother's acct (has been eligible for years) and we just switched to the 10gb value share plan from the 10gb mobile share plan.

They explained it to me on the phone like if we were customers before feb 2 our lines would continue to cost $15 each, regardless of what phone we had on them. Trying to use my brother's upgrade, however, tells me that the new charges will be $40 a month for that phone. It seems that what they really mean is "from now on if you want to upgrade your phone with the subsidy it will cost you $40 a month."

Is my understanding of that right? Because if so, goddamn we should have used the 3 eligible upgrades a month ago.

As a follow-up: I can still buy a phone outright and swap my sim over while continuing to pay $15 a month, right?

Correct on all accounts. The next plan is better if you need to get a phone new:

iPhone 5S 16GB with contract : $199 plus $40 a month.

With next: $0 plus $15 + $25 a month.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Finally swapped over to the mobile share plan today. Because our phones were on contract it was actually five bucks cheaper to do the 10 GB plan than the 2 GB plan. So time to stream some Netflix I guess.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Holy cripes.

I signed up on 1/22 for the 6 Gig Mobile Share Value plan with two devices (2 N5s). The same day that it became available, I switched to the 10 Gig Plan with the two phones.

From my talks on the phone and chats online with the customer service reps, I was told that my monthly bill would be in the area of $110 ($80 6 Gig plan with 25% discount+2 lines), plus taxes and whatnot. So I expected that plus the two activation fees at $36 a piece, bringing it up to around $200 for the first month. Imagine my surprise when my first bill posted for $329.15. Also included was both lines had VMM on them, which I did NOT put on, and I have no idea how they were added on there.

Also, in addition, I got a N7 on my account, and it seems to have a separate 10 Gig line.

Would someone that works at ATT or something be able to IM me and help me make sense on this? Thanks a ton.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dradien posted:

Holy cripes.

I signed up on 1/22 for the 6 Gig Mobile Share Value plan with two devices (2 N5s). The same day that it became available, I switched to the 10 Gig Plan with the two phones.

From my talks on the phone and chats online with the customer service reps, I was told that my monthly bill would be in the area of $110 ($80 6 Gig plan with 25% discount+2 lines), plus taxes and whatnot. So I expected that plus the two activation fees at $36 a piece, bringing it up to around $200 for the first month. Imagine my surprise when my first bill posted for $329.15. Also included was both lines had VMM on them, which I did NOT put on, and I have no idea how they were added on there.

Also, in addition, I got a N7 on my account, and it seems to have a separate 10 Gig line.

Would someone that works at ATT or something be able to IM me and help me make sense on this? Thanks a ton.

Well, unless you have the $2.99 visual voicemail add on all data lines will usually say visual voicemail. So check, but you should be ok there.

Regardless of issue, you signed up right before the new plans. I can tell you right now you want the Mobile share value 10GB plan, it'll be $130 for two lines plus tax minus discount.

The N7 I have no idea, I would confirm there is a third line there, but usually ATT in general is no that bad. That's way too obvious of an issue.

On the current bill, call customer care and complain. Honestly the best I have.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, unless you have the $2.99 visual voicemail add on all data lines will usually say visual voicemail. So check, but you should be ok there.

Regardless of issue, you signed up right before the new plans. I can tell you right now you want the Mobile share value 10GB plan, it'll be $130 for two lines plus tax minus discount.

The N7 I have no idea, I would confirm there is a third line there, but usually ATT in general is no that bad. That's way too obvious of an issue.

On the current bill, call customer care and complain. Honestly the best I have.

I plan on calling customer care tomorrow and complaining, I hope I get somewhere.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dradien posted:

Holy cripes.

Sounds like prorated charges. AT&T bills in advance.

Lets say your standard bill is $100, and your bill cycle date is on the 6th of every month. That would be you have 15 days of proration.

So take the standard bill, and divide by the number of prorated days you had. $50.

Then, since AT&T bills in advance, add the $100 for the next billing cycle.

Then, add two $36 activation fees.

Getting high yet? We're already at $222 from a standard bill of $100. That's why your bill is crazy high. Unfortunately customer care will tell you that the charges are accurate. But feel free to call in.

That separate 10gb line. Are you saying they put you on a separate mobile share group? Or that there is another line added?

Jan 1, 2006

Pornhub. XTube. I know these names, better than I know my own grandmothers.
It sounds like the N7 is on a separate share plan, based on the size of the bill its probably on a data only plan, but still with his discount 10GB is a much better plan for all three devices.

Also, no one seems to be including a $36 dollar activation fee for the tablet as well. Or did you not have one Dradien?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sticky posted:

It sounds like the N7 is on a separate share plan, based on the size of the bill its probably on a data only plan, but still with his discount 10GB is a much better plan for all three devices.

Also, no one seems to be including a $36 dollar activation fee for the tablet as well. Or did you not have one Dradien?

Mmmmm, based on my crude calculation, it seems correct.

I did $100+$15+$15+$10+$36+$36+$36+$50(prorated)=$298

Taxes $53.64 (again a crude calculation)

It all came to $351.94.

But that's based on a very crude calculation, a weird estimate of proration, and PA taxes.

Call care. See if they can help. That's my best recommendation.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Sticky posted:

I don't think I had a activation fee on my tablet, but I could be mistaken.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I am happy with the fact that our monthly bill is lower now that we've gone from the old 10gb to the new 10gb value plan, but... I need a new phone and the upgrades we had waiting for literally years don't make sense anymore (because they will increase our bill dramatically.)

I know the age of carrier subsidized phones is at its end but goddamn that's like >$1500 in subsidies that we effectively paid for but have forever lost, and now I need to come up with $500+ for a new unlocked phone. poo poo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethanialist
Sep 10, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I am happy with the fact that our monthly bill is lower now that we've gone from the old 10gb to the new 10gb value plan, but... I need a new phone and the upgrades we had waiting for literally years don't make sense anymore (because they will increase our bill dramatically.)

I know the age of carrier subsidized phones is at its end but goddamn that's like >$1500 in subsidies that we effectively paid for but have forever lost, and now I need to come up with $500+ for a new unlocked phone. poo poo sucks.

Technically you can buy the phone for $200 upfront and keep paying into the subsidies for $25/mo extra and nothing will have changed. Or you can go the Next route and accept your previous bills as sunk cost. At least there's no money down with Next!