Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roargasm posted:

E: In America at least, the CompTIA A+ cert is your golden ticket to entry level contract work and I assume it's a valid cert in the UK as well. Takes 30-50 hours of self-study to pass

I'm thinking that recommending A+ to anyone going into the IT industry might be a good idea, not because it's a valuable cert, but because if you're miserable while trying to study for the A+, you might not be suited for IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Please don't do this.

Thanks for the post pointing it out, very important I'm sure.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

He won't use them.

Would something like this be an option? Maybe he has a fear of punching down cable.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Moey posted:

Would something like this be an option? Maybe he has a fear of punching down cable.

A fear of best practices can never be removed

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Moey posted:

I can only assume he'd pull the waterfall of cables to the front and make the patch cables go around the back.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
e: nvm

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

edit: Guess not!

Pretty sure his boss "doesn't believe in resellers" or something, so he probably special orders obsolete models direct from HP at a hilarious markup.

Also lol 19" monitors in 2014.

In the company I work for of 260+ people, there are a solid 90-95% of people here that have dual 19" monitors at 1280x1024. I'd love to replace them all with dual 22" monitors at 1920x1080, but I can't convince the higher ups why this is needed when these monitors work great already, and why do we want to replace something that works fine as it is, and buying ~500 monitors at $156 each is $78,000 that don't really neeeeeeeed to spend, so this will just stay as it is. New employees? No problem! I've got a shitload more of these 19" monitors sitting around. I'm tempted to start dropping some of the monitors that are 7+ years old when I move them around.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Thanks for the post pointing it out, very important I'm sure.

Seriously, gently caress that kike. I bet he uses his horns as CD spindles!

(gently caress you and the guy he quoted.)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

americanzero4128 posted:

In the company I work for of 260+ people, there are a solid 90-95% of people here that have dual 19" monitors at 1280x1024. I'd love to replace them all with dual 22" monitors at 1920x1080, but I can't convince the higher ups why this is needed when these monitors work great already, and why do we want to replace something that works fine as it is, and buying ~500 monitors at $156 each is $78,000 that don't really neeeeeeeed to spend, so this will just stay as it is. New employees? No problem! I've got a shitload more of these 19" monitors sitting around. I'm tempted to start dropping some of the monitors that are 7+ years old when I move them around.
calculate what the increased productivity will be somehow. The purchase will either make sense or it won't.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

americanzero4128 posted:

You don't need to replace all the monitors at once, just ask for 50 monitors to test it out and see if it's really a productivity boost. Then find 25 people, in as many departments as possible, with the lowest seniority and highest visibility and replace their monitors. Let human nature do the rest.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You don't need to replace all the monitors at once, just ask for 50 monitors to test it out and see if it's really a productivity boost. Then find 25 people, in as many departments as possible, with the lowest seniority and highest visibility and replace their monitors. Let human nature do the rest.

Are you some kind od business liason? Thats loving genius. Most places you can probably get those 50 as replacements or something without approval.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

How many of your guys have a salary + overtime deal going on?

My company does a 35 hour work week (though really, who takes an hour for lunch,) and I've been cranking at 50+ hours weekly since November.

It's not total hell: I'm salaried at 74k-ish, have a buttload of Citrix certs, and work from a remote office closer to home a few days a week. It's actually a pretty great gig and I like the work; it's just that I'm basically being railroaded into supermanning to keep the staff lean, and I'm getting a little tired of logging in to vSphere the second I plop in front of the TV every night.

I figure I'll start recording my hours, and approach my boss at the end of March to discuss additional staff or salary + overtime. Too bold? Do I actually have it pretty cushy and I am being a crybaby?

It depends a lot on the nature of the work you are doing. Is it something that could otherwise be done during work hours? There is an art to negotiation about turning a win lose(them being happy and you working overtime) to a win win. Giving the users what they need and not what they want, while explaining it to them in a way like they thought of it.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm thinking that recommending A+ to anyone going into the IT industry might be a good idea, not because it's a valuable cert, but because if you're miserable while trying to study for the A+, you might not be suited for IT.

Sounds like a good idea, that see if you like it aspect is quite important too. Because I only have a lay perspective at the moment I'd hate to get in too deep and realise it's not for me. just had a look at the sample questions and it seems very reasonable. Think I'll get on to it!

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

I posted earlier in this thread about applying for an full time position in the company I am currently on a time-limited contract (filling in for someone on maternity leave)

The job:
An external consulting firm has been hired to roll out a full Lync 2013 telephone system in order to replace the old PBX system. The new position I am applying for, will be responsible for this new phone system and for educating end-users in how to use it.
I had an informal interview with the project manager from the consulting firm after sending in a written application and he was impressed and "not against seeing me in the position".
The major issue I see is that the the job posting asks for an MCSE: Communication and I do not even have an MCSA yet nor that much real world system admin experience.

Quick background:
I have worked around 4-5 years as IT support and recently finished an education similar to a Comp.Sci but with a stronger focus on network/infrastructure, than actual programming.
I am currently working for the company in a system administrator role, but only on a time-limited contract (around 4 months), as I am filling in for someone on maternity leave.

The status now:
My current boss (the same I will be reporting to should I get the job) said yesterday that he would like me to fill the position and I think he meant it sincerely.
Only one person will be present at the interview that I have not met and I get along well with the rest as they are my current colleagues.
My concern comes from some of his wording though; He stated that I should work on getting the certification as soon as possible after getting hired, but I am not sure he realizes how much work that entails.
I have a feeling that he thinks its just a matter of sending me to a some courses and that will be it, but to get the full certification I need to pass 5 exams and I have never done this before.

Now I would like to work at this company and I think the job sounds exciting, but I am concerned about the expectations being placed upon me.
The whole thing just seems maybe a tad too optimistic in regards in my abilities to learn, not to mention doing it while still also having time to do actual work.
I have skimmed some of the sites that offer the training courses, but they all seem to expect you to have a certain base of prior experience working with the systems.

One part of me is telling me to just go for it because I have nothing to lose.
Best case scenario: I ace everything, get myself a nice certification and a well paid job at a company I like working for.
Worst case scenario: I gently caress everything up, fail multiple cert exams and is let go but still come out with valuable experience. I am unsure how I will handle this emotionally and worried I will be a stressed out wreck before I reach this point.

All in all, this could be a great opportunity to me if I can pull it off successfully and no matter what happens, I will surely learn alot, but I am worried about my emotional investment in this and I know that I will be stressed out if I cannot live up to the expectations.

I think that learning the initial tasks to actually handle the day to day administration tasks, is fairly straight forward and with the aid of the support contract in place, I will handle that fine.
I am mostly worried about the certifications and although I expect that I will probably spend a considerable of amount of my free time amount studying, I do not want this to be an expectation.

How do I express my concerns at the interview without shooting myself down?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

I posted earlier in this thread about applying for an full time position in the company I am currently on a time-limited contract (filling in for someone on maternity leave)

The job:
An external consulting firm has been hired to roll out a full Lync 2013 telephone system in order to replace the old PBX system. The new position I am applying for, will be responsible for this new phone system and for educating end-users in how to use it.
I had an informal interview with the project manager from the consulting firm after sending in a written application and he was impressed and "not against seeing me in the position".
The major issue I see is that the the job posting asks for an MCSE: Communication and I do not even have an MCSA yet nor that much real world system admin experience.

Quick background:
I have worked around 4-5 years as IT support and recently finished an education similar to a Comp.Sci but with a stronger focus on network/infrastructure, than actual programming.
I am currently working for the company in a system administrator role, but only on a time-limited contract (around 4 months), as I am filling in for someone on maternity leave.

The status now:
My current boss (the same I will be reporting to should I get the job) said yesterday that he would like me to fill the position and I think he meant it sincerely.
Only one person will be present at the interview that I have not met and I get along well with the rest as they are my current colleagues.
My concern comes from some of his wording though; He stated that I should work on getting the certification as soon as possible after getting hired, but I am not sure he realizes how much work that entails.
I have a feeling that he thinks its just a matter of sending me to a some courses and that will be it, but to get the full certification I need to pass 5 exams and I have never done this before.

Now I would like to work at this company and I think the job sounds exciting, but I am concerned about the expectations being placed upon me.
The whole thing just seems maybe a tad too optimistic in regards in my abilities to learn, not to mention doing it while still also having time to do actual work.
I have skimmed some of the sites that offer the training courses, but they all seem to expect you to have a certain base of prior experience working with the systems.

One part of me is telling me to just go for it because I have nothing to lose.
Best case scenario: I ace everything, get myself a nice certification and a well paid job at a company I like working for.
Worst case scenario: I gently caress everything up, fail multiple cert exams and is let go but still come out with valuable experience. I am unsure how I will handle this emotionally and worried I will be a stressed out wreck before I reach this point.

All in all, this could be a great opportunity to me if I can pull it off successfully and no matter what happens, I will surely learn alot, but I am worried about my emotional investment in this and I know that I will be stressed out if I cannot live up to the expectations.

I think that learning the initial tasks to actually handle the day to day administration tasks, is fairly straight forward and with the aid of the support contract in place, I will handle that fine.
I am mostly worried about the certifications and although I expect that I will probably spend a considerable of amount of my free time amount studying, I do not want this to be an expectation.

How do I express my concerns at the interview without shooting myself down?
Job postings are a list of qualifications that an employer would like to see, not ones that are absolutely necessary for the position. I'm not sure why you think that means getting the certs inside of a couple of weeks or whatever, but if your boss is any kind of reasonable human being, you're fine as long as a) you're good at your job and b) you're making visible progress towards the other milestones that your boss set out for you.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is one of the most sublimely perfect suggestions I have ever seen in this forum.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the reasons I got for not giving out nice monitors or even dual monitors is "if you give a few people them, then everyone will want one and gently caress that".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, can't allow employees to have nice things that might make them feel valued.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

"They did their jobs for years with old 15" CRT's. The 17" LCD they have is perfectly fine."

Of course all our new desktops are i7 with 16 gigs of RAM. But they get an old lovely monitor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"We used to handle all our finances and payroll on paper with adding machines and order books and it worked fine. Why the gently caress would I buy software to do that?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Caged posted:

"We used to handle all our finances and payroll on paper with adding machines and order books and it worked fine. Why the gently caress would I buy software to do that?"

The president of the company refuses to let us install Lync because 'it will remove face to face and email communications'.

He's the same guy that famously said 20 years ago 'what the gently caress do we need email for?'.

Luckily he gives us a HUUUUGE IT budget and generally leaves us alone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I worked at a place where there was a 'policy' that if something involved more than 5 internal emails (initial message, recipient requests more info, sender provides it, recipient answers question, sender confirms any actions) that it should be face-to-face. They insisted this also applied to the helpdesk so you'd have a weird situation where someone couldn't VPN in and after a couple of replies the helpdesk guys couldn't do anything but wait until they were next in the office and talk to them face to face about it.

Encourage collaboration face to face if you want by making more informal areas to meet, but don't cripple the alternatives to force someones hand.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Caged posted:

Yeah I worked at a place where there was a 'policy' that if something involved more than 5 internal emails (initial message, recipient requests more info, sender provides it, recipient answers question, sender confirms any actions) that it should be face-to-face. They insisted this also applied to the helpdesk so you'd have a weird situation where someone couldn't VPN in and after a couple of replies the helpdesk guys couldn't do anything but wait until they were next in the office and talk to them face to face about it.

Having hard-and-fast rules like that never works out well for a help desk, especially when you support users who think the Reply button is an acceptable way to bring up new and unrelated issues.

That said, if you work in a small or medium-sized office there are legitimate cases in which six emails could have been avoided by walking to their desk, pointing at the screen and saying "Click this button." I worked on a help desk where IMs and excessive email chaining were discouraged because our end-users did need a little hand-holding every now and then.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Exactly, but trying to push it through as a hard rule was never going to work.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Caged posted:

Exactly, but trying to push it through as a hard rule was never going to work.

Yeah, it's a very "Theory X" way of running things. An easy fix for a rule like that is the addition of the phrase "Use your best judgement" or "at your own discretion".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I realize this is a home loan question but people in IT tend to move jobs often so I want to ask this here. Does anyone have experience with getting a new job just before a home loan? I'm going to be buying a home soon, and was thinking I'd look for a new job after I was settled in to the new place, but at this point, I'm actually thinking I get the new job sooner. I just don't want this to affect the purchase of a house. Same type of job, probably a bit more money, just a case of "nope, don't think I'll work here anymore..."

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
The 10GigE is in. Just unracked and decomissioned all of our 2950's, a 3750, and two of these :stare:

The future is so bright :angel:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It'll be fine as long as you're in the same industry and you had your previous job for a while.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

skipdogg posted:

It'll be fine as long as you're in the same industry and you had your previous job for a while.

Pretty much this, although I would not recommend changing jobs once you've gotten everything approved and a closing is imminent. If the bank so much as sees a largeish purchase they might decide to restart the underwriting process or pull the loan entirely, let alone a huge change like a new job.

Anecdotally I changed jobs about 9 months before buying my house and it was not a problem. If anything it helped because it was a dramatic pay increase and I had a solid 3 year history with the company I left.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Job postings are a list of qualifications that an employer would like to see, not ones that are absolutely necessary for the position. I'm not sure why you think that means getting the certs inside of a couple of weeks or whatever, but if your boss is any kind of reasonable human being, you're fine as long as a) you're good at your job and b) you're making visible progress towards the other milestones that your boss set out for you.

Yeah I know you are right and he is reasonable. If I do get the offer, I am just gonna go with the flow, give it my best and see what happens.
The more I think about it, the worst case scenario seem less and less bad and no matter what happens I will walk out with a positive result on the long term.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I realize this is a home loan question but people in IT tend to move jobs often so I want to ask this here. Does anyone have experience with getting a new job just before a home loan? I'm going to be buying a home soon, and was thinking I'd look for a new job after I was settled in to the new place, but at this point, I'm actually thinking I get the new job sooner. I just don't want this to affect the purchase of a house. Same type of job, probably a bit more money, just a case of "nope, don't think I'll work here anymore..."

I bounced between three jobs in one year, the year before I bought my house. The only thing the bank wanted was a short letter of explanation, and that was that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
One detail is that too many credit checks in a small period of time can impact your credit score, and your credit score usually determines your loan rate. Background checks for new jobs entail credit checks, and you see where this is going.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Misogynist posted:

One detail is that too many credit checks in a small period of time can impact your credit score, and your credit score usually determines your loan rate. Background checks for new jobs entail credit checks, and you see where this is going.

Credit reports differentiate between inquiries initiated for the purpose of issuing credit and inquiries initiated for employment and background checking. The former gets factored into your FICO scores while the latter is ignored.

There's also a 14+ day window in which multiple inquiries for the same type of credit are only counted as one to prevent punishing good consumers for rate-shopping.

Moral of the story - when you're shopping around for a mortgage or auto loan, keep all your credit pulls within a two-week period and your scores won't plummet. :eng101:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
All of your answers are a relief to me, thank you!

Sidebar, reading a resume from a guy with 10 years of experience. It is 6 pages long. Oh, honey.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Did you end up moving to Dallas?

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sidebar, reading a resume from a guy with 10 years of experience. It is 6 pages long. Oh, honey.

I've seen a couple that were 4-5 pages...double sided

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm really ignorant on that sort of thing. Is that to little? To long? If its too long why is that? I never really did any form of resume training and just kinda put something that looked kinda good together and threw it out and it was two pages, but that was before I had a job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep it to two pages. If you can't fit it on two pages then get better at writing, or don't put in stuff like your first part time job or your high school grades because they don't matter.

A CV isn't a list of everything you've done ever.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

I'm really ignorant on that sort of thing. Is that to little? To long? If its too long why is that? I never really did any form of resume training and just kinda put something that looked kinda good together and threw it out and it was two pages, but that was before I had a job.

Most resumes should be 1 page long, unless you have a doctorate or a 20+ year career with multiple publications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

dogstile posted:

I've always thought of it like this. Imagine you're in HR and you get a poo poo-ton of resumes to look over. Are you going to read all 4+ pages of someones resume or are you going to read the smaller resumes to get through the pile faster? Chances are, that huge resume is going to be put off to the side or even tossed in the bin. You should be able to trim down your resume to 1-2 pages that shows relevant experience/education/certs.

I think what some others have said here is that they'll create one huge resume and put it on linked-in so that it helps them get more hits, but they'll send out trimmed down resumes tailored to what they're applying for.

**fake edit**
poo poo, beaten.

• Locked thread