Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I really liked Rukia's bankai. It's pretty simple, but a nice conclusion to the fight and very nice looking, especially Rukia herself being frozen. Also, MDK's incoming, get ready.

Dang, I forgot to comment on Rukia's Bankai design. I completely agree with you. It's simple yet elegant, especially with the wardrobe change she received. It's perfect for her. Even if we've not seen what it does the idea is pretty clear and it's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

"Why must we endure something as painful as living? Life is so harsh and full of pain..."

:emo:

EDIT: Holy crap! Yachiru got punched in the face! I definitely didn't expect that. I hope Isane gets to pull some cool magic stuff, I love Kido and she's been shown as reasonably proficient in it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 26, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Where there was literally a JoJo's character in the Fullbringer arc, so it's very likely Kubo is looking to Araki for inspiration on what to do here.

"Araki can you hear me? I'm lost and so alone."

If Osamu Tezuka is the God of Manga than Araki is his Prophet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Kubo continues to just draw whatever the hell he wants for this arc. It might not make any sense, but drat if it doesn't look cool. :allears:

Okay so we've hit Kenpachi and Unohana. That leaves the remaining captains, the Fullbringers, Aizen, the Vizards, the surviving Espada, maybe Chad and Orihime, and Uryu. And I guess we might see Ichigo get thrown in somewhere in the middle. Do we have enough letters for all that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also liked that her Bankai is actually a contrast to Ichigo's too, it's somewhat fitting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dexo posted:

:stare:

Is that where Doctor Who got the Silence from.

Cause I was thinking Silence will Fall, but was thinking of the Silence creatures from Doctor Who.

I think that Doctor Who got the Silence because Moffat wants to have a generation of kids hide behind the couch like he did. Any resemblance to anything else is coincidental/"nothing new in fiction" at work.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I also liked that her Bankai is actually a contrast to Ichigo's too, it's somewhat fitting.

It's super cool and serene, basically the opposite of her day-to-day personality. It's the perfect capstone on her growth as a character.

But boy is she ever hosed if her bankai failed to freeze someone.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm just guessing instead of ice her power is to control an area(aura?) of extreme cold. bankai brings it out of her body.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

But boy is she ever hosed if her bankai failed to freeze someone.

Something something mastering a bankai, etc etc.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Lamebot posted:

I'm just guessing instead of ice her power is to control an area(aura?) of extreme cold. bankai brings it out of her body.

It's kind of like Iceman, she has the ability to drain thermal energy which just seems like she has ice powers due to the presence of water vapor. At least that's how I'm seeing things. Her bankai looks like it's a flash freeze ability, so anything caught in it's radius freezes, even her, which is fine because she's "dead" already, right? Wonder how Byakuya survived it then because if she could selectively freeze things then she wouldn't have frozen herself.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He was already walking away when he told Rukia to kill As Nodt, and he is already fast as hell, so he just zipped away until she finished. The radius looked small enough that Byakuya could easily move away.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So basically people were right to guess that Rukia's bankai is the Cold version of Yamamoto's and just isn't quite as hardcore because it isn't mature enough to Freeze All Creation yet?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Shoren posted:

It's kind of like Iceman, she has the ability to drain thermal energy which just seems like she has ice powers due to the presence of water vapor. At least that's how I'm seeing things. Her bankai looks like it's a flash freeze ability, so anything caught in it's radius freezes, even her, which is fine because she's "dead" already, right? Wonder how Byakuya survived it then because if she could selectively freeze things then she wouldn't have frozen herself.

i'm also thinking the sword dances were just rituals to control a power she didn't fully grasp. her use of shikai seems completely different but then again it's consistent with the bankai.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Honestly her bankai seems to have the effect of her First Dance but a lot larger radius, so it's probably a case of basically the same power but stronger.

And it's pretty well established (well, by Renji's fight against Byakuya and Sasakibe's flashback) that bankai is relatively weak at first until the user mentally gets comfortable with using its powers so this is pretty much Ryuujin Jakka but cold.

The real question here is does she dethrone Hitsugaya as having the strongest cold-type sword now? :v:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I've never been that big of a Rukia fan, but this chapter really made me appreciate her so much more. I want power-ups like that for all of the original gang please.

I also want to see her get another fight or two if possible, just to see more mechanics of the bankai.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I think with Kubo not explaining the bankai and with what Byakuya said this chapter that Kubo has another fight in mind for her.

Of course that could all just end with Ichigo doing his standard entrance during that fight.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Shugojin posted:

The real question here is does she dethrone Hitsugaya as having the strongest cold-type sword now? :v:

Hitsugaya was supposed to have the strongest ice-based sword, and presumably without any water anywhere he would be useless. Rukia is cold based, so the water/ice is incidental.

Edit: I'm also happy that this didn't turn out into Byakuya saving the day again. You're not a complete hack, kubo :):

Now I want him to blueball us with a full page spread of Yachiru shouting "BAN-" only to have kenpachi bursting through the walls next page.

Rynder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 26, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Well at least Rukia was allowed to win after all. People were pretty upset when it looked like Byakuya was going to settle things again. Of course, she's still seeking his praise and he's lecturing her about her Bankai so this is still something less than a total victory for her. :v: I guess her saving him before this is over is out of the question.

Moving on, oh, it's Yachiru. Kubo said in an interview he hadn't even drawn her fight before, much less her Zanpakuto, so maybe we'll finally see that? I don't see how this turns into Kenpachi's return. A Sternritter aiming for two Lieutenants at this point is beyond pathetic. He can't be worth Kenpachi's time. Dude would probably just disappear from existence like that old man that Aizen killed when he got too close.

Oh man there are still at least three more of these useless jokers we haven't even seen. :cripes:

Apologies if I'm sounding like a broken record week after week, but it's been over a year since the bad guys have managed to unambiguously win a fight, end scene (That last part is important.) Seriously, I believe 514 was the last time. A whole year without having to endure a single loss. And without the frustration of defeat, there's no real enjoyment to be had from victory. Even As Nodt did his thing so long ago, him losing did nothing for me. :shrug: It didn't help that the fight was never that close. Rukia would have won even if Byakuya hadn't shown up. Throwing him into the mix was just overkill.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Shoren posted:

She froze but she was still able to move.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Isane! :toot: I'm glad to see her, I hope she gets some screen time and doesn't end up jobbing like she did to Ichigo.

She's an under-appreciated character, in my opinion. Although I do wonder how she'd react to the whole Unohana vs Kenpachi thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Well at least Rukia was allowed to win after all. People were pretty upset when it looked like Byakuya was going to settle things again. Of course, she's still seeking his praise and he's lecturing her about her Bankai so this is still something less than a total victory for her. :v: I guess her saving him before this is over is out of the question.

Well, I mean, how is that a problem anyway? Byakuya is a Captain, with far more experience and skill and time as a Shinigami. He's supposed to be the mentor/elder figure.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My hope is that Yachiru's unpredictability just allows her to beat this weird old guy to death with her bare hands. Kenpachi then comes in and smiles while Isane huddles in a corner for so many reasons.

Bleach is weird in that this would be hilarious and not disturbing as hell.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well, I mean, how is that a problem anyway? Byakuya is a Captain, with far more experience and skill and time as a Shinigami. He's supposed to be the mentor/elder figure.

She's lived in his shadow almost the entire manga, it would be nice for her to live for herself etc.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zogundar posted:

She's lived in his shadow almost the entire manga, it would be nice for her to live for herself etc.

That's one way to resolve it, but I think the way Byakuya and Rukia's relationship has changed over the series made such a thing irrelevant. I mean, looking at them now, Byakuya seriously respects his sister and is proud of how far she's come. He isn't afraid of telling her, either. That's pretty satisfying for me.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Zogundar posted:

I don't see how this turns into Kenpachi's return.

Why not? Yachiru specifically says that "she has more time now that Ken-chan isn't coming back!" That can go 2 ways. 1: she believes that Kenpachi did not survive his training, or 2: he is no longer the same.

The next frame is Isane with a saddened face as if she knows/can feel that he did survive, and her Captain did not make it. Perfect way to create drama and emotion by him making his return as surprising his vice. Then while Isane is mourning her Captain's loss, he quips some 3 or 5 sentence bubble about how she shouldn't be mourned and she have him something great, or whatever.

Enter shikai display yadda yadda.

I know I can't predict Kubo, but I could definitely see the setup

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What are the chances of Kenpachi somehow also having discovered his bankai?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

hagie posted:

Why not? Yachiru specifically says that "she has more time now that Ken-chan isn't coming back!" That can go 2 ways. 1: she believes that Kenpachi did not survive his training, or 2: he is no longer the same.

The next frame is Isane with a saddened face as if she knows/can feel that he did survive, and her Captain did not make it. Perfect way to create drama and emotion by him making his return as surprising his vice. Then while Isane is mourning her Captain's loss, he quips some 3 or 5 sentence bubble about how she shouldn't be mourned and she have him something great, or whatever.

Enter shikai display yadda yadda.

I know I can't predict Kubo, but I could definitely see the setup

You are assuming it is a completely accurate translation. It makes more sense for the line to be about her having more time while he is still gone. Her job is following him around and preventing interruptions to his fights. If he is not around, she has time to help Isane with whatever.
Kenpachi's fate isn't going to be revealed indirectly in a throwaway line. I mean, it isn't like he is Chad.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

hagie posted:

Why not? I know I can't predict Kubo, but I could definitely see the setup

They're fighting a guy that punched a tiny girl in the face. I don't think he's even close to being in the same weight class as Kenpachi. Kenpachi singlehandedly killed 3 Sternritter BEFORE his powerup. Also any* villains that rely upon a gimmick have been repeatedly shown to fail badly against Kenpachi. Even the guy whose entire gimmick was to make himself impossibly strong instantly died without a fight. Unless you're the protagonist or main villain (Or need to plausibly appear to be the main villain) you can't win.

I can imagine him coming back here and now, but it wouldn't be very satisfying or interesting unless something completely out of left field happened. Yachiru is probably enough for this guy, considering she's been holding some kind of secret for the entire series. For Kenpachi's much anticipated return to happen here and now would be too anti-climatic.

*The one POSSIBLE exception might be Berenice/The Question. Kenpachi not hearing her explanation of her power or her grudge before he killed her might be a "lol you suck" red herring.. or it might be a Chekhov's Gun that will come back to bite him at a bad moment.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What are the chances of Kenpachi somehow also having discovered his bankai?

I'd say 100%. :v:

Serious Frolicking posted:

You are assuming it is a completely accurate translation.

Eh, both the translations I've seen are the same, I'm inclined to believe it. We were kept in the dark about a lot of stuff that happened between then and now. Plus there's probably a difference between what she says and reality.

Personally what I'd like to see with Kenpachi (Did I say this already? I forget) is just Round #2 Vs. Ichigo. He was more fun as a baddie.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zogundar posted:

Personally what I'd like to see with Kenpachi (Did I say this already? I forget) is just Round #2 Vs. Ichigo. He was more fun as a baddie.

Kenpachi and Ichigo sparring to show off their new abilities would be fantastic. Hell, they could make that the rest of the series and just have YWACH killed off-screen.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Don't tease things that will never happen :(.

A kenpachi vs Ichigo rematch would be the height of the series.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They'll fight over who gets to beat up Bach. During the fight Ishida defeats Bach.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Wow it indeed has been quite a while since the quincy won a fight. Well at least we know that every quincy that loses just makes the big bad stronger. He's probably gonna worf a lot of people soon, aizen style.

Man this might be the final arc but there are still so many fights that need to happen that this is going to take years. Hell this arc will probably be longer then hueco mundo. Lots of people still need fights, let's see.

captains:
-kenpachi - probably soon now that yachiru is present, but she will probably put up a good fight.
-shunsui - definitly is getting a refight against the guntoting grandpa, and hashbrowns probably to
-ukitake - where the gently caress is he? Since he has reflect powers he's prolly gonna be fighting a beam shooting quincy / espada?
-shinji - probably lived through bambino's explosion. Prolly gonna fight the quincy teen girl club
-kurosochi - due a fight with the quincy that left when he emerged from his lab room. I'm betting that quincy is the source of the whole shadow palace overlap thing.

squad zero:
All of them haven't fought yet and the spirit king is going to show up one day again.

vaizards:
Where the gently caress are they? Last mention of them they were helping to restore world balance or something? Also hachi's barrier fight was awesome and i really want to see more of that.

espada:
grimmjow is probably cleaning up any quincy's in hueco mundo and is bound to return one day as a new renji. Sharktits is also still tied up somewhere and i doubt the #1 espada is actually dead because of his soul splitting powers.

fullbringers:
been shown so gotta show up one day. kuukaku and ganju with them of course.

superfriends:
chad and inoue are still in hueco mundo i think? Probably the same with nel. There's a lot of people still in hueco mundo. Something tells me that the battle will probably shift to there sometime soon.

notsosuperfriends:
tatsuki and the others are on earth and have been training probably? Maybe yoruichi is with them?

superdads:
isshin and ryuuken are probably still on earth? Ishida already hosed up by getting a letter and ryuuken will probably undo that at one point.

urahara and co:
urahara prolly is going to team up with kurosochi in his next fight, probably against the shadow quincy.
Yoruichi hasnt been seen in ages and neither has the kido captain guy, maybe he'll team up with hachi to fight someone in the human realm?

aizen:
aizen has probably been released already, but good chance that he won't show up until the quincy's make it to the zero squad realm, after which he fucks poo poo up royally.

Since there are still so many locations where fights need to happen (earth, hueco mundo, zero realm), I'm guessing the battle in soul society will be over soon, and it will be a major loss for the shinigami's. After that the quincy's will probably begin a simultaneous invasion of earth and hueco mundo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

At this point I think it's a given that Rukia is going to fight Bazz "H for Heat" B and Absolute Zeroes his fingers off, or team up with/support Ichigo during his fight with YHWACH since he has Yamamoto's bankai if I'm not mistaken. I like her space dress design, and the fact that the true form of her sword isn't white but transparent.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Rukia is going to fight Ywach's bankai.

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

Zogundar posted:

Eh, both the translations I've seen are the same, I'm inclined to believe it.

It's a bad translation.

Bleach 570 posted:

やちる
「いいんだよ!

けんちゃんが戻って来るまで
 やることないし!」
"No problem! I got nothing to do until Ken-chan gets back!"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers: A lot of fans who translate manga are not very good at it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Punching Yachiru in the face is serious bad karma.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Thoren posted:

Rukia is going to fight Ywach's bankai.

If she wins, Rukia as the next CC comfirmed?

We haven't seen Yachiru do anything with power since she scared that mook by releasing her Reishi all the way back in the SS arc. I would like to see if she's vice captain because Kenpachi or because she's really that strong. So I hope she gets to pummel this guy with Kenpachi showing up only to nod proudly.

Captain_duck posted:

Wow it indeed has been quite a while since the quincy won a fight. Well at least we know that every quincy that loses just makes the big bad stronger. He's probably gonna worf a lot of people soon, aizen style.

Why aren't we counting MdM taking out the Vice Captain squad, Captain Jobber and Rose "I'll just tell them exactly how my Bankai works" McVizard. (Just look at the killdefeat count of our hero :allears: )
We are also not counting Bazzbee basically beating Hitsaguya and Matsumoto, nor the tie between Robot Quincy and Iron Cang Du.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Darth Nemesis posted:

It's a bad translation.

Let's see here-well poo poo. My rudimentary Japanese doesn't see a negative attached to that either. Except maybe (With an extra but) at the end, but I have no idea what grammatical rules or unique colloquialism could apply that to modottekuru.. apart from whatever ones Google Translate uses maybe. Please tell me they aren't using Google Translate.

Serves me right for thinking at least one of them would get it right. I'd say I don't think an editor could have messed it up but I honestly don't even know anymore. Maybe they copy off of each other.
Well since I have no luck finding Japanese raws (In fact the last time I tried I got Attack on Titan mega-spoiled - while looking up a raw for Watamote) I can't really double check these things even if I wanted to, so I believe I am screwed. :smith:

Darth TNT posted:

Why aren't we counting MdM taking out the Vice Captain squad, Captain Jobber and Rose "I'll just tell them exactly how my Bankai works" McVizard. (Just look at the killdefeat count of our hero :allears: )
We are also not counting Bazzbee basically beating Hitsaguya and Matsumoto, nor the tie between Robot Quincy and Iron Cang Du.

In my case I specifically said the scene had to end before it counts. If someone else tags in and wins the match, that's what counts. At the end of the day if you're marking who won the fight, you'd put down Renji, and Mask gets nothing. Just like his fans-

Bazz-B either tagged out or had an inconclusive battle, take your pick. Cang Du and BG9 (Can there be a BG10, pleeeeease, we didn't even learn his letter-) both lost before they could use their powerups just like the what, seven? (Geez, putting a number to it makes it even more pathetic) Sternritter that died in the initial invasion. Even their own bosses considered them to have lost, and any "buts" were just excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Zogundar posted:

Cang Du and BG9 (Can there be a BG10, pleeeeease, we didn't even learn his letter-) both lost before they could use their powerups just like the what, seven? (Geez, putting a number to it makes it even more pathetic) Sternritter that died in the initial invasion. Even their own bosses considered them to have lost, and any "buts" were just excuses.

The fun thing with the mooks we didn't see die is that whatever their power is, it just goes back to Juhabach, or whatever, and can then either be kept until needed or assigned to another mook. So BG10 isn't out of the question! In a manner of speaking, anyway..

• Locked thread