Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I need to learn to read the score better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

Please find someone on KGS other than me to explain how all my moves that game were scam after scam—I can't do it because I would die of shame halfway through.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

We can all thank Richard Bozulich for settling once and for all what japanese terms we were going to use and which we weren't

Reading old go books is sometimes excruciating for that reason

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

Apparently so does Gu Li. :iceburn:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Why are French players so bad?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Why are French players so bad?

The Maginot Fuseki leaves too much aji. :rimshot:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

xopods posted:

The Maginot Fuseki leaves too much aji. :rimshot:

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
gonna drop a link to this bitcoins go server here - https://bitcoingo.io/

if you play games here in the weekly tournament and win any of them, you get some free internet money

the guy who wrote the site plays there as steve and is reasonably strong (5d?) and there are some stronger players there as well. you can check previous tournament results to see who they are - all the games are played on even, so disregarding the free internet money it's nice place to get schooled if you can get a game

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I beat Xom, bwahaha

barely, with a 6 stone handicap

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
guys guys, check this out, guys seriously. Its go, ok? Right? Its go.... but with bitcoins

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

sensual donkey punching posted:

gonna drop a link to this bitcoins go server here - https://bitcoingo.io/

if you play games here in the weekly tournament and win any of them, you get some free internet money

the guy who wrote the site plays there as steve and is reasonably strong (5d?) and there are some stronger players there as well. you can check previous tournament results to see who they are - all the games are played on even, so disregarding the free internet money it's nice place to get schooled if you can get a game

So I can use this to get games with higher ranked people, essentially? :D

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gogameguru accepts Bitcoins.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
BTEAM bitcoin taints everything around me

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
D.O.G.E. rules everything around me

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
its an easy way to mix money with competitive play.

sumimasen, my goon companions...,

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If you can win buttcoin prizes from playing go and then immediately exchange them for free books from GGG, that's fine to me.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I thought they used MtGox or something for processing which has been in a weird place lately.

Its probably easier to win money at an AGA tournament than win there and try to convert to USD.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The second book of go arrived today! :toot:

I skimmed through it and liked its explanation on the definition of liberties.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

(as usual) Black to play.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xom posted:

C4?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

b1? If white c1, then black atari at d1, white captures at e1, black atari at e2. White connects, and black can atari at c3, ruining the eyeshape.

I'm not reading this anymore. I'm sure if white doesn't connect and tries to make eyes there's something in c1 that's false.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Xom posted:

C4. If W C1, then C3 and W is dead. If W B1, then D1 kills

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

b1? If white c1, then black atari at d1, white captures at e1, black atari at e2. White connects, and black can atari at c3, ruining the eyeshape.

I'm not reading this anymore. I'm sure if white doesn't connect and tries to make eyes there's something in c1 that's false.

White lives because of E4

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I lost by 21.5 to an 11k this morning, and 22.5 to a 6k just now. The 6k was one point stronger. :smug:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Me and Pander's most recent game, it was a lot closer than it looks with some of the battles where i barely escaped intact. http://online-go.com/game/506244

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

White to play on this terrible diagram I made and screenshotted with my phone.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
White is stronger than me because I want to tenuki or resign.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

White to play

I got nothing.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Ko?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Xom posted:

Ko?

if black just plays c1 what can white do about it? feel like i'm missing something

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

pointsofdata posted:

if black just plays c1 what can white do about it? feel like i'm missing something
B c1, W b1, ko

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

pointsofdata posted:

I concur. White gets one capture, black gets the group.

misterKeith
Feb 9, 2014

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
I've been meaning to get into "Go" for sometime. Glad to see a fully intensive thread on it all! Looking forward to playing a game or two with you folks in the future!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
In case you missed it in the OP:

sensual donkey punching posted:

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

--> Players unfamiliar with the rules of the game should start here <--

The above link is an essential interactive tutorial on the fundamentals. Try going through it a couple of times. If you're happy with that, try also following lovely's amazing guide here, which will guide you further along the path to becoming a solid, merciless Go player.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

White to play on this terrible diagram I made and screenshotted with my phone.

I can get ko... do you know if W needs to live outright? The keys to the problem are:

(1) That after B plays R18, the push and cut of O15 and N16 are sente against the top Black group because of the aji of of O17.

(2) That after B defends that top group, the strike-through-the-knight's-move tesuji of R13 will guarantee that White can capture either S14 or O14 or the blocking stone that B will play at N15... provided that Black can't just capture R13. However, B can capture R13 as it stands.

(3) If B is forced to throw in at T16 to prevent White from living in the corner, then after W T15 and B S15 to falsify the eye, the B S14 stone is one liberty shorter than before and R13 works. However, the only way I can see to force that is by playing T18 instead of S18 after the hane of R18 (and B Q18 of course). That invites ko. If B backs down from the ko and White connects it, then if B tries to kill with T16 everything else works for W to escape.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I'm sure all the problems in there should be outight, but if you can get ko out of that then :golfclap:.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I'm sure all the problems in there should be outight, but if you can get ko out of that then :golfclap:.

I think I've got it! The key is sagari to R19. If this is the right answer, it's quite clever and I'm very happy to have read it all out accurately stumbled upon it by trying random guessuji in an SGF editor.

http://eidogo.com/#Fg1D7ku2

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Nice! That looks like it works. It's still a bit unsatisfying to me though, because if black plays s15 where the paths branch, white is running out to the center with only one eye, and his group on the top has become much weaker. I guess you could fight a ko instead if you wanted to, but that's not great either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

ThePineapple posted:

Nice! That looks like it works. It's still a bit unsatisfying to me though, because if black plays s15 where the paths branch, white is running out to the center with only one eye, and his group on the top has become much weaker. I guess you could fight a ko instead if you wanted to, but that's not great either...

Well, strategically it is not very good but the convention in tsumego is that escape is as good as life. Kheldragar says that this is from Igo Hatsuyoron though and it seems to me that solution is too simple given that collection's reputation, so there must be something wrong with it.