Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

bhsman posted:

Would be cool if they tie dragons being resurrected into the storyline. Dragonspeaker Shaman reprint? :getin:

If there is a way, they will find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

taladel posted:

If there is a way, they will find it.

Reprint Dragon Hatchling and no dragons over 3 CMC. Flavor! :black101:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Reprint Dragon Hatchling and no dragons over 3 CMC. Flavor! :black101:

Sarkan Vol gets some vacation time from Bolas, heads back to his home plane and brings dragons back from extinction. :unsmith: They are all baby clones of Bolas :gonk:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

50 pounds of bread posted:

I mean maybe it isn't and is just baseless speculation, but I have a *feeling*.

Edit: in fact, if tarkir doesn't have dragons, then I am just plainly wrong, but I thought one of the expansions was "Dragons of Tarkir", and constantly warring warlords that hunt dragons pretty much sounds like what tarkir is about.

Warlords of Tarkir and Warlords of Draenor in the same year for extra confusion please

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Now that Hearthstone is a thing do you think that'll push Wizards to update their decade old MTGO client?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mortimer posted:

Now that Hearthstone is a thing do you think that'll push Wizards to update their decade old MTGO client?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MODO has been updated, there are now PTQQ's and all good EV events are gone. What more do you want?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I realize we're all just speculating here but it'd be the most hilarious unintentional self-parody ever if they went to a plane where there are canonically no dragons, and the plot of the block was... (re)introducing dragons. :shepface:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

JerryLee posted:

I realize we're all just speculating here but it'd be the most hilarious unintentional self-parody ever if they went to a plane where there are canonically no dragons, and the plot of the block was... (re)introducing dragons. :shepface:

Considering the behavior in question is putting dragons in every possible setting, that wouldn't be parody or imitation at all, just continuing what they always do. Also honestly, "Dragons were hunted to extinction, so we went and got some more" sounds really reasonable.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Mortimer posted:

Well, they're in the process of updating their MTGO client. It's the beta and most people don't like it.

But really, I think if they want Magic Online to stay relevant in the long term I think they need to start investing serious money into their digital division. MTGO has skated by because it was the best card game to play online, period. Magic is one of the best (if not the best) TCGs which meant if you couldn't find a group to play with in person you could play online. Now there's actual competition sprouting up (Hearthstone, Hex, Stoneforge) that all have way better UIs and pricing models, which means if somebody can't play Magic in person they could play hearthstone online instead. MTGO will probably do fine with its current budget for the next few years, but once other games can establish themselves I think they're going to start having some real problems. Unless they can start beefing up their staff (which means paying out the big bucks it takes to get a backend software dev with 8-10 years of experience instead of the rumored 70k a year) they're going to fall behind.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Im sure this has been asked before, but when do devotion checks occur? If someone has a BTE and other junk out, and they tap nykthos for devotion based mana, and I then shock the BTE in response to that, what happens? Do they lose out on the mana or is the check done when they activate nykthos?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Im sure this has been asked before, but when do devotion checks occur? If someone has a BTE and other junk out, and they tap nykthos for devotion based mana, and I then shock the BTE in response to that, what happens? Do they lose out on the mana or is the check done when they activate nykthos?

Devotion is checked on resolution, but Nykthos is a mana ability so it would resolve immediately so you couldn't shock BTE out from under it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

No. Long answer, found on google, this is from an L2 judge.

quote:

Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx also has a mana ability. It's an activated ability that does not target (and is not a loyalty ability) that could produce mana when it resolves. Since it is a mana ability, it does not use the stack and cannot be responded to.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ok thanks, should've assumed as much.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

gang sines posted:

Devotion is checked on resolution, but Nykthos is a mana ability so it would resolve immediately so you couldn't shock BTE out from under it.

In that example yeah it's resolution, but in general it's whenever the card needs it to. c.f. Marshmist Titan

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gang sines posted:

Devotion is not necessarily checked on resolution. The trigger on Mogis's Marauder checks devotion when it triggers as it affects the number of possible targets.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
That's true. I was thinking in the context of Nykthos.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gang sines posted:

That's true. I was thinking in the context of Nykthos.

Fortunately in the context of Nykthos it really doesn't matter when it's checked as it doesn't use the stack and resolves immediately.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kirtar posted:

Devotion is not necessarily checked on resolution. The trigger on Mogis's Marauder checks devotion when it triggers as it affects the number of possible targets.

Checks on resolution of the spell or ability that mentions devotion, in that case it's an ability.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Entropic posted:

Checks on resolution of the spell or ability that mentions devotion, in that case it's an ability.

Nope, devotion can change between the ability's going on the stack and resolution, but you still get the number of targets equal to devotion when the ability goes onto the stack, not on resolution.

Edit: abilities can also check on resolution. c.f. Gray Merchant of Asphodel. They just check whenever the card needs them to.

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 26, 2014

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Entropic posted:

Uh no, Mogis's Marauder's triggered ability checks when the ability goes on the stack. This is specifically addressed in the Theros release notes. With Mogis's Marauder you have to pick targets before the trigger resolves so it is checked in the process of adding it to the stack. With Marshmist Titan it is logically checked during the spell casting process since cost determination is far prior to resolution and it would be nonsensical to check it on resolution.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 26, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I misread the post. I was thinking someone was confusing triggered abilities with casting the spell itself.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Entropic posted:

I misread the post. I was thinking someone was confusing triggered abilities with casting the spell itself.

That would explain a bit. The marshmist titan example does affect the casting of the spell though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kirtar posted:

That would explain a bit. The marshmist titan example does affect the casting of the spell though.

Yeah going through trying to explain that when casting a Thoughtcast off a Chromatic Star was never any fun in paper magic.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does anybody have that one list that wins by using Possibility Storm to Cascade into Enter the Infinite, slam Borborygmos Enraged and then discard all your lands?

Because I was considering loving around with it between rounds on Game Day.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

Does anybody have that one list that wins by using Possibility Storm to Cascade into Enter the Infinite, slam Borborygmos Enraged and then discard all your lands?

Because I was considering loving around with it between rounds on Game Day.
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27650_The-Possibilities-Are-Infinite.html First hit in :google: It's a fun deck when it works. I sort of like adding Unexpected Results just to make it even more all in, or using GR Monsters as the shell splashing for the right combo of cards to hit Enter the Infinite regularly. Practice with the deck so you understand the interactions, there's some subtle things in there.

Roguebuilder is playing with a new interesting combo that uses life gain sources, mainly crypt incursion, with sanguine bond to set up huge 15+ life swings on just 5 mana. Its a worse BG Dredge deck I think but the kills come from out of no where. Since Crypt Incursion is an instant blue decks cannot even play around you just waiting for them to tap out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

Yeah, what was the flavor of Morph supposed to be, for those of us who weren't playing at the time and didn't read the schlocky novels?

It's the morph spider as Jerry Lee mentioned. They're in some of the illustrations for cards with morph, but they're not very prominent. Here's a few of them:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Star Man posted:

It's the morph spider as Jerry Lee mentioned. They're in some of the illustrations for cards with morph, but they're not very prominent. Here's a few of them:

I think he was asking more in terms of context of the story. What events caused there to be creatures entombed in clay spiders?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

EDH newbie here asking for some advice. I recently decided to get into EDH (namely 4+ player EDH) because I like the card variety and the multiplayer aspect gives the game a very social quality. I’ve been experimenting with few different decks and I think I've found one that I enjoy. Group hug.

I use Phelddagrif as my commander, drop a lot of stuff to protect me and my permanents (Leyline of Sanctity, Privileged Position, Norn’s Annex, etc) and drop crazy advantage-changing cards like Soul Conduit and Bubble Matrix just to watch everyone scramble to restrategize while I hook up struggling opponents with free life and tokens. I’ve only played a few games with group hug, but I already love it. However, after reading more into the deck, I’ve learned that there are a lot of folks out there who hate group hug due to do crazy ramping spells such as Heartbeat of Spring and Arcane Melee which can run the risk of having one player gain a massive advantage over everyone else very quickly. I haven’t played with any of these cards yet I am worried about the possibility of having Phelddagrif turn me into that guy everyone scrambles to get rid of first. I learned the lesson of choosing your commander wisely when I first started playing EDH with Jhoira and had everyone aggro me out before turn seven and I don’t want that happening again.

What I’m asking is this: am I just being paranoid about this? Am I cool to go about playing group hug in my own crazy way or am I just painting a target on my head?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Man, I hate EDH. If you enjoy it, have at it, but what you described sounds awful to me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Macrame_God posted:

What I’m asking is this: am I just being paranoid about this? Am I cool to go about playing group hug in my own crazy way or am I just painting a target on my head?

The answer is always: Depends on your play group and meta.

Some groups love that stuff, others don't. Consult your buddies about it.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, some people will hate group hug decks since they can also really drag games out and create stalemates.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ok, weird rules question. What happens if that's cast on a Zoetic Cavern and the Cavern flips face up?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

Ok, weird rules question. What happens if that's cast on a Zoetic Cavern and the Cavern flips face up?

Pretty sure it still gets destroyed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

EDH newbie here asking for some advice. I recently decided to get into EDH (namely 4+ player EDH) because I like the card variety and the multiplayer aspect gives the game a very social quality. I’ve been experimenting with few different decks and I think I've found one that I enjoy. Group hug.

I use Phelddagrif as my commander, drop a lot of stuff to protect me and my permanents (Leyline of Sanctity, Privileged Position, Norn’s Annex, etc) and drop crazy advantage-changing cards like Soul Conduit and Bubble Matrix just to watch everyone scramble to restrategize while I hook up struggling opponents with free life and tokens. I’ve only played a few games with group hug, but I already love it. However, after reading more into the deck, I’ve learned that there are a lot of folks out there who hate group hug due to do crazy ramping spells such as Heartbeat of Spring and Arcane Melee which can run the risk of having one player gain a massive advantage over everyone else very quickly. I haven’t played with any of these cards yet I am worried about the possibility of having Phelddagrif turn me into that guy everyone scrambles to get rid of first. I learned the lesson of choosing your commander wisely when I first started playing EDH with Jhoira and had everyone aggro me out before turn seven and I don’t want that happening again.

gently caress 'em. Make everyone even more miserable. Ghostly Prison. Propaganda. Sterling Grove. Fog Bank. Arcane Laboratory. Rule of Law. Silent Arbiter. Just go so far all-in on 'you couldn't if you tried' cards that they will have to either learn to love group hug, or get faster/stronger/better at evolving ways to beat you.

EDH Arms race :getin:

Serious answe: Learn to play "predator-prey" style (aka "only attack to the left") to make games a little more managable and a little less political. Or just buy 10,000 Jyhad cards for :20bux::20bux: if ya'll wanna play political games that are kinda like magic.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ScarletBrother posted:

Pretty sure it still gets destroyed.

Morph doesn't use the stack, so you pay the cost and then immediately the trigger is put on the stack s state based effects are checked. The Aura falls off, and then the trigger resolves, killing the Cavern.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Macrame_God posted:

It really depends on your group. Personally, I loathe group hug decks because most of the time, the person piloting it isn't even trying to win. It's just a "hey, everyone draw cards! ramp! life gain!" thing for reasons that I don't understand and it just drags an already long game out longer for no reason. That, or it's a kingmaker deck where the group hug player just picks who will win the game. The only time I would not gun for the person playing a group hug deck is if we were playing Emperor format and the Emperor was the group hug pilot.

That said, a lot of people like it and it's popular enough to be its own genre. If you (and your group) like it, go for it.

What about group hug really draws you in? If you just want everyone to draw cards, you can always play a Nekusar deck full of Wheel of Fortune effects and stuff like Forced Fruition. Whee, everyone draws cards! (and then dies from it).

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'm starting to brainstorm a multiplayer-only Standard kitchen-table deck that does nothing but mess with board state, swap stuff around, and generally agitate opponents in the most fun ways possible. I'm thinking U/R, stuff like Whims of the Fates, Perplexing Chimera, Pyxis of Pandemonium, Meletis Charlatan, etc. I'll have to scrape Gatherer for more ideas when I get home, but I can't think of anything appropriate from RTR-block at the moment.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

mehall posted:

Morph doesn't use the stack, so you pay the cost and then immediately the trigger is put on the stack s state based effects are checked. The Aura falls off, and then the trigger resolves, killing the Cavern.

Actually, I'm not completely sure, but I think the actual order is the cavern flips, the trigger triggers, the aura falls off, and then the trigger goes on the stack and will resolve and kill the cavern. It depends on if SBEs are checked before you put triggers on the stack.

• Locked thread