Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Kakairo posted:

That sounds...troubling. I hope he's okay.

Hopefully it isn't as bad as hyperbole and a half's writer. She made a big ol post about how she was so depressed that she had a life proof armor and it was totally ok cause she now felt like she could do anything.

Which to anyone with a history (personally or through friends ) with depression is massively alarming, because that's pretty much how most people feel before they make the jump from depressed to suicidal. Which she pretty much confirmed happened when she came back.

It's kind of odd how funny people tend to be the ones who get hit by depression.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kakairo posted:

That sounds...troubling. I hope he's okay.

I'm leaning towards "no" :(

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

trapped mouse posted:

Well, looks like pictures for sad children is essentially completely wiped off the map. Both his websites have been deleted, and he's been systematically deleting every work of art he ever did from tumblr. It seems like it's due to severe depression. It sucks, because he's been my favorite webcomic artist for a long time. Anyone know how to access any of his stuff?

He's claiming this all has to do with some disagreements he's been having with someone who makes a super generic-looking geek webcomic called Hijinks Ensue, but I dunno if that's just the depression talking or what. I hope he comes back! :(

In other news:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

MrGreenShirt posted:

He's claiming this all has to do with some disagreements he's been having with someone who makes a super generic-looking geek webcomic called Hijinks Ensue, but I dunno if that's just the depression talking or what. I hope he comes back! :(

Man you should have linked to what started it, which was him basically saying "women, don't ever make a webcomic because men will be mean to you. Just don't even try" out of nowhere.

http://boohooboo.tumblr.com/post/74955637803

Dude should stop being such an rear end in a top hat if he doesn't want people to call him out on it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Man you should have linked to what started it, which was him basically saying "women, don't ever make a webcomic because men will be mean to you. Just don't even try" out of nowhere.

http://boohooboo.tumblr.com/post/74955637803

Dude should stop being such an rear end in a top hat if he doesn't want people to call him out on it.

That's not what he's saying at all. Like, how did you even get that out of his post.

E: man I don't want to derail here's a comic that gave me a sensible chuckle

Humboldt Squid has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Feb 26, 2014

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

The last two Gun Show comics have been great:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I want someone to do this with every infomercial fuckup clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08xQLGWTSag

Simple ineptitude can't be the sole reason for some of these.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

More like

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
U WOT MATE, I'LL BASH YER FOOKIN EAD IN, SWARE ON ME MUM
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
I GOTS ME HORNY ON! COME AN GET THE HORNY!
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress RIGHT OFF YE SHITTER THIS IS MY FOOKIN BRANCH MATEY YEA KEEP FLAPPING YE TIT.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!

so he's actually kinda in his right to be disturbed by it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Karate Bastard posted:

More like

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
U WOT MATE, I'LL BASH YER FOOKIN EAD IN, SWARE ON ME MUM
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
I GOTS ME HORNY ON! COME AN GET THE HORNY!
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress RIGHT OFF YE SHITTER THIS IS MY FOOKIN BRANCH MATEY YEA KEEP FLAPPING YE TIT.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!

so he's actually kinda in his right to be disturbed by it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

sticklefifer posted:

I want someone to do this with every infomercial fuckup clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08xQLGWTSag

Simple ineptitude can't be the sole reason for some of these.

There's a few here

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

A dirty joke.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 27, 2014

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Hey comic thread y'all were wondering earlier where the Pictures for Sad Children guy went? It is here, here is where he went.

You'll want to get comfy 'cause it's a loooooong read.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
As I skimmed through that thing, the only thought in my head was "He's gonna kill himself, isn't he?"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mezzanine posted:

As I skimmed through that thing, the only thought in my head was "He's gonna kill himself, isn't he?"

If someone doesn't take him in and try to get him some kind of help, yes. This is more than an artistic fit, this is a mental breakdown. Does anyone know what he said about his sexuality before this? Is he trans?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mezzanine posted:

Almost certainly. I really hope he gets help because jesus christ the guy really needs it.

VVVVVV: What the gently caress man?

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Mezzanine posted:

And the world will be a better place for it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Reading that without knowledge makes him sound like a pretentious social justice warrior, but it's obvious he's deeply depressed and need help now.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Almost certainly. I really hope he gets help because jesus christ the guy really needs it.

Part of it was from personal experience. The whole "getting rid of possessions" thing is a huge red flag, especially for me. I had a coworker actually go through with it a couple years back, and there were several occasions where he offered to give me and other coworkers his stuff.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mezzanine posted:

Pretty much. This reads like someone who not only feels guilty to be alive, but is infinitely disappointed that the rest of the world doesn't feel exactly the same way. Every tiny little thing he feels bad or annoyed about is going to send him spiraling into guilt over existing until he either gets help or offs himself.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Im just wondering where this came from. Like, I never followed his comic too closely but he never struck me as a "Eat the rich! Everyone with more money than me is evil and secretly unhappy giving up all material wealth is the only true way to happiness maaaaaaaaaaaan!" :jerkbag: kind of guy. Was he always like this? Otherwise this may just be him projecting his multitude of problems (likely due to his depression) onto others.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mezzanine posted:

Part of it was from personal experience. The whole "getting rid of possessions" thing is a huge red flag, especially for me. I had a coworker actually go through with it a couple years back, and there were several occasions where he offered to give me and other coworkers his stuff.

That's actually the biggest red flag. If anyone you know is offering to give you their stuff and is suffering from depression, just go contact some professional help. That's literally the first thing any suicide warning thing is gonna tell you.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
I'm worried that this is more than depression. The way he writes and the disorganized thought patterns he's exhibiting fall more in line with psychosis, either because of a psychotic break/schizophrenia or a very manic period. Both are extremely dangerous without professional help. Hopefully someone who loves him gets him help soon.

Iron Chef Nex posted:

And the world will be a better place for it.

Wow.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

That's actually the biggest red flag. If anyone you know is offering to give you their stuff and is suffering from depression, just go contact some professional help. That's literally the first thing any suicide warning thing is gonna tell you.

Unfortunately, accessible professional psychiatric help (especially with regards to suicide) is... a bit lacking here in Japan. :(

EDIT: not just lacking as an institution, it also comes from the attitudes towards it, I suppose.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mezzanine posted:

Unfortunately, accessible professional psychiatric help (especially with regards to suicide) is... a bit lacking here in Japan. :(

EDIT: not just lacking as an institution, it also comes from the attitudes towards it, I suppose.

It always astounds me just how poor mental health services is, globally. Canada is generally a top country with regards to social services and here it's complete loving garbage.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

HellCopter posted:

pretentious social justice warrior

ughhh

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

I'm worried that this is more than depression. The way he writes and the disorganized thought patterns he's exhibiting fall more in line with psychosis, either because of a psychotic break/schizophrenia or a very manic period. Both are extremely dangerous without professional help. Hopefully someone who loves him gets him help soon.

What makes you say that? Genuinely curious, because I didn't see anything really "disorganized" about his writing. He's very angry at the world and at himself, but he doesn't seem delusional or anything. Do I have just have a poor definition of psychosis?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kavak posted:

What makes you say that? Genuinely curious, because I didn't see anything really "disorganized" about his writing. He's very angry at the world and at himself, but he doesn't seem delusional or anything. Do I have just have a poor definition of psychosis?

There's a fair amount of overlap between the two

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that guy sounds like a douchbag to me but I never followed his work very closely so idk.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
He rambles on, using all sorts of very strange analogies, and has basically created an epic treatise for why he needs to burn his books and live like a pauper, cutting off ties to everyone. Someone who was just "depressed" would probably just leave the books in the corner and ignore everything.

I mean it's impossible to tell exactly what's going on, but whenever I see someone take the time to write that many words during the midst of a clear mental breakdown, mania/psychosis is the first thing that comes to mind.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
He's either gonna kill himself or take so little care of himself that it kills him. He mentioned that his living conditions are deplorable, he has next to no money, and seemingly severed ties with his family. If you know this man and care for him you should do something. Now.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

It's like, if he weren't suicidal then he would sound like an idiot. You're contributing to the destruction of the natural world by paying for goods and services? I hope he gets help, if not from lackluster services then from a friend or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

Hey comic thread y'all were wondering earlier where the Pictures for Sad Children guy went? It is here, here is where he went.

You'll want to get comfy 'cause it's a loooooong read.

I was under the impression that Kickstarter had some actual quality control over posted projects and that pathetic nonsense wouldn't cut it?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Kickstarter quality control

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

He rambles on, using all sorts of very strange analogies, and has basically created an epic treatise for why he needs to burn his books and live like a pauper, cutting off ties to everyone. Someone who was just "depressed" would probably just leave the books in the corner and ignore everything.

I mean it's impossible to tell exactly what's going on, but whenever I see someone take the time to write that many words during the midst of a clear mental breakdown, mania/psychosis is the first thing that comes to mind.

Yeah, her completely out of place stories from her past that often very, very barely relate to her point are concerning. It's also odd to begin every response with a life tale, but that doesn't really indicate anything.

Also, wanting someone to pay for your necessities, understanding money is a joke and not expecting a return - this does not exist what the hell?

Edit: Sorry about the pronouns, I didn't know.

Synonymous has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Feb 28, 2014

• Locked thread