Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Welp. They tried so hard.
I'm sure a goon is the missing link that was missing for the unity of the left in Ukraine! If only you were there you'd totally fight off the armed threats, the beatings to leftists and LGBT activists and the enormous right wing, nationalist populism that was formented by the politicans in the opposition and the fascists! Ah yes, those lazy leftists didn't even try at all, they didn't have the bravery of Gantolandon!

quote:

Communist parties in the East at this point have poo poo to do with actual communism, or anything leftist. They are mostly there to support Russian politics, and make an impression of plurality in former Soviet bloc countries' parliaments. The "communists" in Ukraine were in coalition with Party of Regions and never did poo poo to either oppose the oligarchs or stop the country's slide into neoliberalism.
Thanks for saying what i did while also ingoring that the Party of Regions wasn't banned.

Maybe if you think the CPU was banned because it sided with Yanukovich you're gullible enough to belive that fascists being a component of the vanguard of the protests is not a bad thing...

No one in that thread claimed that the Right Sector should be given the rights of the police, you made that up.

quote:

The fact that fascists got involved doesn't change the fact that the revolution in Ukraine wasn't a fascist uprising. The Right Sector gained some traction, but people hardly clamor to unite behind Dmytro Yarosh. In fact, they hardly clamor to unite behind anyone - if anything, they remained very mistrustful of politicians. This alone will make setting up a fascist dictatorship harder.

And there is a lot that the left actually gained from the uprising, regardless of its composition. The narrative of common Ukrainians banding together to overthrow a corrupt government and succeeding actually is more useful to the left, than to the right (especially fascists who love strong leaders). The image of people beating up and dispersing cops in riot armors is more inspiring than ten essays about means of production. There is also a lot of practical knowledge how to organize a mass demonstration (or uprising, if it's needed), how not to get dispersed and beaten up, organizing a self-defence force to police the occupied territory.
There we go! People banding together to openly reject LBGT rights, siding together with Svoboda or Right Sector and making public councils where armed improvised police officers, manned mostly by the far right, isn't a good thing to the left unless you're either not a leftist or a leftist way outside of Ukraine. Ukraine already had popular uprisings that took down a government, the end result was the former government whose incompetence and corruption put Yanukovich right back in power. Now that a right wing narrative, supported by fascists due to their popularity for being so eager to die like dogs against cops and a pro EU mentality has emerged in the west you'd be a fool to think the left got anything to gain from this. They were lost and weak before this, afterwards only a miracle will take them from the hole.

All that organization and fear means squat. Like i said in the thread, Portugal, France and Poland all had massive popular protests who put the status quo in jeopardy and a few years later neoliberalism was kicking those countries teeth without a care in the world.

The police was mostly dispersed not because of bravery but because of lovely wages and gear. Right Sector militants will be much harder to fight off because they'll gladly beat your liberal rear end for free.

Gantolandon posted:

The Right Sector started to attack the police, but that wouldn't mean poo poo without mass support and other, non-fascist factions. They would be very quickly overwhelmed by Berkut, if not for hundreds of people fighting with them and Maidan's infrastructure. Even with their newfound cred, I don't see them gathering such mass support for establishing a fascist dictatorship.

Claims that it would be better for a right-wing, authoritarian and corrupt government to win, because there is a slight possibility that otherwise fascists could take over, coming from the members of the left are pure :psypop:.
You don't need the fascists to reach power to create a direful situation in the ground. The Golden Dawn or the Front Nacionale don't need to reach power, they have enough upper\upper middle-class capital, police officers, white collar managers and street thugs (who are not cops) to pressure enough people into right wing populism, anti-strikes and firing anyone with even a centrist narrative. They can also organize pressure to push governments to the right, pressure which would be quickly dissolved if attempted by the left.

Since no one said they supported Yanukovich i don't know why you're even saying such stupidity. We could surely talk about the problem with an Islamic-based revolution in Iran without defending the former dictatorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Mans posted:

I'm sure a goon is the missing link that was missing for the unity of the left in Ukraine! If only you were there you'd totally fight off the armed threats, the beatings to leftists and LGBT activists and the enormous right wing, nationalist populism that was formented by the politicans in the opposition and the fascists! Ah yes, those lazy leftists didn't even try at all, they didn't have the bravery of Gantolandon!

:iceburn: Only a true vanguard of the revolution, maybe Lenin himself, has the right of criticizing the glorious left in the Ukraine.

I'm just sorry for the guys who actually tried to do something, despite their friends telling them not to bother, because they can get beaten up. For some reason they were under an impression they are a part of a revolutionary movement.

quote:

Thanks for saying what i did while also ingoring that the Party of Regions wasn't banned.

Maybe if you think the CPU was banned because it sided with Yanukovich you're gullible enough to belive that fascists being a component of the vanguard of the protests is not a bad thing...

Actually, both were banned and only in several regions early during the riots when a lot of strange things happened. Hell, Lviv was even rumored to have seceded at one point.

quote:

There we go! People banding together to openly reject LBGT rights,

Of course, that's what Euromaidan was about - rejecting LGBT rights. :allears:

quote:

siding together with Svoboda or Right Sector and making public councils where armed improvised police officers, manned mostly by the far right, isn't a good thing to the left unless you're either not a leftist or a leftist way outside of Ukraine.

There are plenty of moderates among the militias too, most notably Maidan self-defense. There is no left, of course, because the organizers of the protest forgot to send them a perfumed invitation for some reason.

quote:

Ukraine already had popular uprisings that took down a government, the end result was the former government whose incompetence and corruption put Yanukovich right back in power. Now that a right wing narrative, supported by fascists due to their popularity for being so eager to die like dogs against cops and a pro EU mentality has emerged in the west you'd be a fool to think the left got anything to gain from this. They were lost and weak before this, afterwards only a miracle will take them from the hole.

I especially love the cognitive dissonance here - "stupid fascists willing to die on barricades, joke's on them" and "dying on barricades gave them a massive popularity gain, we're hosed" appear in the same sentence. Of course, there were enough non-fascists on the barricades to keep this from being a major fascist victory, but if the left keeps presenting it as such, your words will most probably become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

quote:

All that organization and fear means squat. Like i said in the thread, Portugal, France and Poland all had massive popular protests who put the status quo in jeopardy and a few years later neoliberalism was kicking those countries teeth without a care in the world.

I really don't know why do you keep bringing Polish protests in 80s as an example of a glorious leftist revolution that was co-opted by neoliberals.

quote:

The police was mostly dispersed not because of bravery but because of lovely wages and gear. Right Sector militants will be much harder to fight off because they'll gladly beat your liberal rear end for free.

Being called a liberal for stating that the left should be more proactive and radical during protests hasn't happened to me yet.

quote:

You don't need the fascists to reach power to create a direful situation in the ground. The Golden Dawn or the Front Nacionale don't need to reach power, they have enough upper\upper middle-class capital, police officers, white collar managers and street thugs (who are not cops) to pressure enough people into right wing populism, anti-strikes and firing anyone with even a centrist narrative. They can also organize pressure to push governments to the right, pressure which would be quickly dissolved if attempted by the left.

Tell me more how the whole Euromaidan happened only because the fascists mobilized their supporters...

quote:

Since no one said they supported Yanukovich i don't know why you're even saying such stupidity. We could surely talk about the problem with an Islamic-based revolution in Iran without defending the former dictatorship.

Actually, there were goons in the Eastern Europe thread that straight out stated that the protesters deserve to be beaten up by Berkut, because they haven't expelled fascists from their ranks.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
God drat, I don't 100% agree with Mans but you're twisting their words virtually beyond recognition.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Zohar posted:

God drat, I don't 100% agree with Mans but you're twisting their words virtually beyond recognition.

I don't feel I misrepresented something there. It certainly didn't help that their post contained a lot of assumptions that simply are not true. There were no widespread ban of the Communist Party, the regional bans didn't single them out (as opposed to the Party of Regions) and I don't know anything about incidents where people clamored to have LGBT rights curtailed.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Contradiction isn't the same as cognitive dissonance, Hitler. Learn to words, and then try again to post IN This f orum... noob

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gantolandon posted:

Edit: I just realized that, according to this logic, KPD were stupid to try to ferment a revolution in the 30s... they should have supported Hindenburg and von Papen instead. :allears:

Except for the whole Hindenburg dying and Papen being one half of the pair that let Hitler become chancellor thing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gantolandon posted:

A corrupt right-wing government is nowhere near a given right now. With Yanukovych in power you have this pretty much a given. Also, banning Russian TV and reverting the act of minority language autonomy were only propositions that didn't even pass, mostly because nearly everyone but the Right Sector thought them stupid and over the top.

Edit: I just realized that, according to this logic, KPD were stupid to try to ferment a revolution in the 30s... they should have supported Hindenburg and von Papen instead. :allears:

It is pretty much a given because the only parties in power are right-wing, they may or may not be authoritarian right-wing, we have to see but yeah actual leftists aren't anywhere on either side. Also the language autonomy law was passed from every news article I have seen. Banning Russian TV and pro-Russian parties is still up in the air.

As far as the KPD, they could have done much better at making alliances during the early 1930s I will say that, so could the SPD.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Except for the whole Hindenburg dying and Papen being one half of the pair that let Hitler become chancellor thing.

Yes that's the point. They were corrupt authoritarian conservatives.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Install Windows posted:

Yes that's the point. They were corrupt authoritarian conservatives.

Oh, I read gud :downs:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Now that a right wing narrative, supported by fascists due to their popularity for being so eager to die like dogs against cops and a pro EU mentality has emerged in the west you'd be a fool to think the left got anything to gain from this. They were lost and weak before this, afterwards only a miracle will take them from the hole.
I was just reading these profiles of prominent Maidan leaders that has an entry on Dmytro Yarosh. It's RFE/RL so take it for what it's worth. But it states that "Right Sektor has not lost a single member to violence since the start of the protests" which seems to be at odds with the claims that they were doing most of the fighting and dying. Though it also describes the group as "a well-armed paramilitary group that has defended Maidan encampments but also contributed to some of the protest's most brutal street fighting."

http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraine-euromaidan-stalwarts-government/25278153.html

Though I don't disagree with you about the left. But I also don't particularly care if the left is moribund there.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 26, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is pretty much a given because the only parties in power are right-wing, they may or may not be authoritarian right-wing, we have to see but yeah actual leftists aren't anywhere on either side. Also the language autonomy law was passed from every news article I have seen. Banning Russian TV and pro-Russian parties is still up in the air.

As far as the KPD, they could have done much better at making alliances during the early 1930s I will say that, so could the SPD.

"May or may not be" is a key phrase here. I'd say that a possibility of an authoritarian government is better than an actual right-wing corrupt government in power that also happens to shoot protesters with live ammo, or kidnap and torture them.

As for the language autonomy law, it is a bit stranger - it was a pretty new law that was passed several years ago and was repealed by the parliament during the flurry of acts after Yanukovych escaped Kiev.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

I was just reading these profiles of prominent Maidan leaders that has an entry on Dmytro Yarosh. It's RFE/RL so take it for what it's worth. But it states that "Right Sektor has not lost a single member to violence since the start of the protests" which seems to be at odds with the claims that they were doing most of the fighting and dying. Though it also describes the group as "a well-armed paramilitary group that has defended Maidan encampments but also contributed to some of the protest's most brutal street fighting."

http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraine-euromaidan-stalwarts-government/25278153.html

Though I don't disagree with you about the left. But I also don't particularly care if the left is moribund there.

One explanation is that guys who died weren't "official" members and that Right Sector's actual membership was in reality much smaller that it would appear. That said, there is evidence of fascist symbols and Right Sector flags out there. In addition, there were other groups (such as Svoboda).

quote:

As for the language autonomy law, it is a bit stranger - it was a pretty new law that was passed several years ago and was repealed by the parliament during the flurry of acts after Yanukovych escaped Kiev.

It is still a relatively new law, but one that honestly should have been done and kept. Russians are going to be apart of Ukraine (as long as it remains one country, we will see) and even if Russian were given historical priority, you have to allow minorities to keep their languages (in my opinion). That said, I believe Catalans, Basque, Bretons and Hungarians outside of Hungary should have language autonomy as well (as other minorities in similar situations).

Although in a functional sense Ukrainian and Russian while different languages are highly intelligible with each other.

quote:

"May or may not be" is a key phrase here. I'd say that a possibility of an authoritarian government is better than an actual right-wing corrupt government in power that also happens to shoot protesters with live ammo, or kidnap and torture them.

Actually I believe in that sense your right, the government is obviously less authoritarian at this point (as corrupt and economically conservative, but less authoritarian) but I don't think it being "overly concerned" to say yeah there are already some problems. Also, the issue of economics should probably be addressed on its own since you can say they are less authoritarian and not undercut that by saying that Ukraine has some pretty massive fiscal issues ahead of it.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 26, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is still a relatively new law, but one that honestly should have been done and kept. Russians are going to be apart of Ukraine (as long as it remains one country, we will see) and even if Russian were given historical priority, you have to allow minorities to keep their languages (in my opinion). That said, I believe Catalans, Basque, Bretons and Hungarians outside of Hungary should have language autonomy as well (as other minorities in similar situations).

Although in a functional sense Ukrainian and Russian while different languages are highly intelligible with each other.

I agree that the language law should have been kept and the Russian citizens of Ukraine should demand it to be reinstated.

quote:

Actually I believe in that sense your right, the government is obviously less authoritarian at this point (as corrupt and economically conservative, but less authoritarian) but I don't think it being "overly concerned" to say yeah there are already some problems. Also, the issue of economics should probably be addressed on its own since you can say they are less authoritarian and not undercut that by saying that Ukraine has some pretty massive fiscal issues ahead of it.

Economical conservatism is a given, at this point - this was pretty much announced by the new prime minister (who straight out said that the country needs to regain the trust of its creditors, and gave the standard drivel about "unpopular reforms"). Hopefully, at least accountability of the government to the people will be better.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gantolandon posted:

Economical conservatism is a given, at this point - this was pretty much announced by the new prime minister (who straight out said that the country needs to regain the trust of its creditors, and gave the standard drivel about "unpopular reforms"). Hopefully, at least accountability of the government to the people will be better.

I would say that IMF (or just "structural reforms") and minority rights (or the relationship between Kiev and Russian/Russo-philic regions) is the two key flashpoints. I think the test will be if and when the new government does make unpopular decisions and how they handle them.

As for the far-right themselves and the persistence on the streets, it is an issue worth discussing but I don't think as of yet it is going to be the sort of flash point that is going to lead to a crisis.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Gantolandon posted:

I don't feel I misrepresented something there. It certainly didn't help that their post contained a lot of assumptions that simply are not true. There were no widespread ban of the Communist Party, the regional bans didn't single them out (as opposed to the Party of Regions) and I don't know anything about incidents where people clamored to have LGBT rights curtailed.

I was referring to statements you were attacking like only True Bolsheviks having any authority to comment, the Polish protests being leftist, Euromaidan only happening because of the fascists, the fascist 'cognitive dissonance' thing, none of which were things Mans was actually saying as far as I could tell.

Ardennes posted:

I would say that IMF (or just "structural reforms") and minority rights (or the relationship between Kiev and Russian/Russo-philic regions) is the two key flashpoints. I think the test will be if and when the new government does make unpopular decisions and how they handle them.

As for the far-right themselves and the persistence on the streets, it is an issue worth discussing but I don't think as of yet it is going to be the sort of flash point that is going to lead to a crisis.

Given the track record I fully expect IMF reforms to cause further popular unrest in the near future -- maybe not for certain, but it's definitely likely.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

That said, there is evidence of fascist symbols and Right Sector flags out there. In addition, there were other groups (such as Svoboda).

Svoboda being there guarantees there are fascist symbols present :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Omi-Polari posted:

The die like dogs part was the mentality that can be expressed after the protests. No matter how many of them actually died the truth is that they showed public capacity to go fort, beat up cops and eat sniper bullets. A fallen moderate killed next to them will be painted as a silent supported and dead bodies don't talk. The problem here is just how right leaning the average Ukranian is, coupled with a terrible left and an organized and now lionized far right. In the next crisis (which will 100% happen because the EU is still slowly dying) where do you think radicalism will fall into? Unless a complete revolution of the left and worker's groups revitalizes opposition you will be stuck in an endless loop of right wing authoritarian governments whose differences will be if they prefer warm winters with Putin or eating Bratwurst with Merkel. Since crisis are no good to foster moderation it isn't hard to assume Svoboda and the Right Sector (and all the devil spawns between them), who most likely, or at least appearance wise which is what's important, were fundamental groups to the collapse of the current government, will grow in importance, in dependance by the state to keep the population calm\forcibly pacified and maintain the status quo of the oligarchs and foreign interests.

You should certainly care that the left is moribund there since a weak left is the stepping stone to the death of any kind of social democracy or moderation. I don't want Europe to become the USA, we're hosed up as it is.

Zohar posted:

I was referring to statements you were attacking like only True Bolsheviks having any authority to comment, the Polish protests being leftist, Euromaidan only happening because of the fascists, the fascist 'cognitive dissonance' thing, none of which were things Mans was actually saying as far as I could tell.
Lenin would probably say "just shut the gently caress up, stay low and do your best not to be beaten to death. Get fire extinguishers to put down the eventual molotovs against your headquarters". You don't need to be Lenin to understand just how utterly stupid it is to claim that the left didn't try hard enough after any attempt at organizing a leftist side of the protests ended in summary beatings and expulsion. The left was hopeless in the movement, much like it was already hopeless before. Only a retard, or a Svoboda goon who wished he could've beaten some leftists, would say that the left should've "tried harder" to participate alongside the mentality of the protests.

The reports that talk about leftists being driven away also talk about rejection of LGBT protesters and the open anti communist stance of the far right is open and clear throughout the entire thing. It isn't just a kneejerk reaction against Russian dominance, it's a clear intention to erase the past of all that isn't the far right's fantasy paradise, which are worrying signs of the future.

If tomorow the Golden Dawn participates heavily in violent protests against austerity and the KKE and SIRIZA leaning people are beaten out of the protests and eventually collapse the government the future would be a dreadful one indeed. Thankfully, the organization of both parties mean such thing will never happen.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Mans posted:

The reports that talk about leftists being driven away also talk about rejection of LGBT protesters and the open anti communist stance of the far right is open and clear throughout the entire thing.

You keep saying this or things like this, yet after blitzing through the thread the other day in order to get caught up this doesn't seem to come up as much as you make it out, especially during the periods in which people were live-updating as events unfolded. Yes, people posted, especially during the beginning of the whole mess, that there was fascist symbols and iconography present among some protestors, yet even then nobody was claiming they were a majority or in control. I'm surprised that more non-Russian sources on this haven't been posted, if it's such a widespread problem, especially local sources given the amount of on-the-ground footage found earlier in the thread. :shrug:

EDIT: I am referring to the Easter Europe thread, actually, didn't notice this was the Fash thread, though the Ukraine/Fash topic is being discussed in both thread so I guess easy mistake to make.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 27, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KazigluBey posted:

You keep saying this or things like this, yet after blitzing through the thread the other day in order to get caught up this doesn't seem to come up as much as you make it out, especially during the periods in which people were live-updating as events unfolded. Yes, people posted, especially during the beginning of the whole mess, that there was fascist symbols and iconography present among some protestors, yet even then nobody was claiming they were a majority or in control. I'm surprised that more non-Russian sources on this haven't been posted, if it's such a widespread problem, especially local sources given the amount of on-the-ground footage found earlier in the thread. :shrug:

EDIT: I am referring to the Easter Europe thread, actually, didn't notice this was the Fash thread, though the Ukraine/Fash topic is being discussed in both thread so I guess easy mistake to make.

Ultimately there isn't much to go on, because by and large it is very difficult to tell the political motives of those involved unless they actually were talking around with a flag or symbols. If anything it was largely anonymous over many times the flags you saw were UPA and Ukranian in the more violent sections in the protests rather than EU and Ukrainian in the maidan itself, and sometimes you might see a Svoboda or a UDAR flag. This became more mixed and convoluted in the last days as the riot police charged right into the maidan itself. However, one thing is for sure, it was hard to find any leftist flags of note (unless you mistook a UPA flag for an Anarchist one). I don't remember seeing any rainbow flags either.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ardennes posted:

Ultimately there isn't much to go on, because by and large it is very difficult to tell the political motives of those involved unless they actually were talking around with a flag or symbols. If anything it was largely anonymous over many times the flags you saw were UPA and Ukranian in the more violent sections in the protests rather than EU and Ukrainian in the maidan itself, and sometimes you might see a Svoboda or a UDAR flag. This became more mixed and convoluted in the last days as the riot police charged right into the maidan itself. However, one thing is for sure, it was hard to find any leftist flags of note (unless you mistook a UPA flag for an Anarchist one). I don't remember seeing any rainbow flags either.

OK interesting, though again, does anyone have a better idea of ratios and numbers and stuff? Because this seems to have become the central topic of discussion in the Eastern Europe thread with regards to the Ukraine protests but unlike previous coverage it seemed to me to include a whole heck of a lot less on-the-ground footage shot by Ukrainians, or Ukrainian articles or stuff like that. :shrug:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KazigluBey posted:

You didn't see people posting about how fascist present in the protests isn't a bad thing, that they being on the "good" side is not something to be concerned about and that thinking two times about it means you're just worried about your ideologic purity?

I mean, in Portugal we kick fascists as soon as they try to aggregate to a protest (like they did to the left! :D), but like i admitted in the other thread, that's easy as poo poo to do when you can literally draw the name of open and proud fascists in a small notebook and have plenty of space left. A lot of legitimate concern about the fascist presence, which again, is a problem by itself no matter what numbers they are, since it means the popular ideas have been shifted to the right well enough for them to join in, was ignored by some posters in the thread.

Far-right iconography was hard not to notice though.

You don't need a majority of people to be on the far right parties for them to spread their poison.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Mans posted:

You didn't see people posting about how fascist present in the protests isn't a bad thing, that they being on the "good" side is not something to be concerned about and that thinking two times about it means you're just worried about your ideologic purity?

You don't need a majority of people to be on the far right parties for them to spread their poison.

Yes, I saw those posts, along with yours and a few other posters that seemed to fixate on a massive swing rightward for the Ukraine, or something to that effect given how much you played it up. My question stands, though: given the degree of footage that we have in that thread, along with Ukraine-source articles and the like, how come there isn't something a bit more concrete to base what you and others were saying? Saying "You don't need a majority of people to be on the far right parties for them to spread their poison." isn't helpful, because it isn't a statement on the political leaning and balance of the current political landscape of the Ukraine, post protests. Do you have more to back it up, especially from Ukraine sources? I'd very much appreciate reading about it, if it's such a looming problem.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KazigluBey posted:

Yes, I saw those posts, along with yours and a few other posters that seemed to fixate on a massive swing rightward for the Ukraine, or something to that effect given how much you played it up. My question stands, though: given the degree of footage that we have in that thread, along with Ukraine-source articles and the like, how come there isn't something a bit more concrete to base what you and others were saying? Saying "You don't need a majority of people to be on the far right parties for them to spread their poison." isn't helpful, because it isn't a statement on the political leaning and balance of the current political landscape of the Ukraine, post protests. Do you have more to back it up, especially from Ukraine sources? I'd very much appreciate reading about it, if it's such a looming problem.

Well the issue has really come after the protests, when a lot of the "self defense" units surrounding government buildings were flying UPA/Right Sector flags. As for actual numbers, there isn't any way to know actual data but that is the fact for a lot of these protests. However, the closet thing to proof is probably the type of flags/arm bands you were seeing and the type of speeches that were getting a response, and over time I do think they became more hard line even in the Euro Maidan. In addition, the protests had more and more a religious tone than they had previously and the EU flags became less and less even in the Maidan itself.

That said, Ukrainian flags were always all over the place but that is to be expected.

For example the initial waves of the Egyptian revolution, it was honestly probably a mix of MB supporters, liberals, leftists (maybe even some Salafists) rubbing shoulders. During the 2013 counter-revolution, the sides were much clearer.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KazigluBey posted:

I understand your question and i wouldn't be so incensed about the crisis in Ukraine if i knew what you are asking (or i'd be if the far right had more support than i expected).

I'm more pissed at the reaction so many liberals have about the role of fascists in Ukraine and the collapse of the government, specially since most of these liberals are the same who waved off the Arab Spring as fundamentalists and Al-Qaeda fighting against legitimate governments (unless it was Gadaffi, in that case they immediately supported the struggle against him), the same who ignore factories in Bangladesh collapsing, South African police opening machine gun fire against striking miners or Cambodian police uses AK 47s against workers on strike.

Not to mention how much they like to whistle to the side about literal fascists rising inside the EU or switch all confrontations between police and protesters as professional thugs fighting poor police officers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mans posted:

I'm more pissed at the reaction so many liberals have about the role of fascists in Ukraine and the collapse of the government, specially since most of these liberals are the same who waved off the Arab Spring as fundamentalists and Al-Qaeda fighting against legitimate governments

Who has been doing this, exactly? Are you talking about people posting here? Because I'm pretty sure it's mostly the far-left posters who were anti-Arab Spring.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Outside D&D yes. Here a bit too but the left has been really terrible in that regard aswell.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

The die like dogs part was the mentality that can be expressed after the protests. No matter how many of them actually died the truth is that they showed public capacity to go fort, beat up cops and eat sniper bullets. A fallen moderate killed next to them will be painted as a silent supported and dead bodies don't talk. The problem here is just how right leaning the average Ukranian is, coupled with a terrible left and an organized and now lionized far right. In the next crisis (which will 100% happen because the EU is still slowly dying) where do you think radicalism will fall into? Unless a complete revolution of the left and worker's groups revitalizes opposition you will be stuck in an endless loop of right wing authoritarian governments whose differences will be if they prefer warm winters with Putin or eating Bratwurst with Merkel. Since crisis are no good to foster moderation it isn't hard to assume Svoboda and the Right Sector (and all the devil spawns between them), who most likely, or at least appearance wise which is what's important, were fundamental groups to the collapse of the current government, will grow in importance, in dependance by the state to keep the population calm\forcibly pacified and maintain the status quo of the oligarchs and foreign interests.
I think you're right that post-Yanukovych Ukraine isn't going to be a paradise. It'll muddle through like it did after the Orange Revolution. I think there are real concerns with the far right in Ukraine. But the problem with your argument is that you have to pack assumptions onto more assumptions: That another political crisis in Europe will lead to the growth of fascism in Ukraine, that there will be no political counterweight (and that the left is the only force that can serve as a counterweight), and that the far right will necessarily inherit Maidan's radicalism. As you say your argument comes from the left - but it's remarkably conservative.

Assuming all of that requires overlooking some important facts. Like the fact that Svoboda's support during the height of the protests was half what it was two years ago. It overlooks that the far right is more divided now. There's a new generation of activist leaders radicalized by Maidan who are not of the far right. And it all overlooks the many ways Yanukovych and his supporters in Russia have exploited anti-Semitism (spreading propaganda that the protesters are "Nazi-Zionists") and homophobia (the Russian press is in horror at rumors Ukraine's new interior minister is gay) and - allegedly - using far right groups supportive of Yanukovych (tiny ones, granted) as agents provocateurs.

Mans posted:

Outside D&D yes. Here a bit too but the left has been really terrible in that regard aswell.
Exactly right. The western left is getting played by RT and the Kremlin just as liberals were back in the day when you had dictators like Salazar and Franco. They co-opted or tolerated the pure fascists and sidelined the ones that didn't want to be co-opted, and then used their presence as justification for authoritarian rule with concessions from Washington and the European capitals. Gays in Russia are being attacked by state-backed fascist vigilante gangs and where's the Western left?

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 27, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mans posted:

I'm more pissed at the reaction so many liberals have about the role of fascists in Ukraine and the collapse of the government, specially since most of these liberals are the same who waved off the Arab Spring as fundamentalists and Al-Qaeda fighting against legitimate governments (unless it was Gadaffi, in that case they immediately supported the struggle against him), the same who ignore factories in Bangladesh collapsing, South African police opening machine gun fire against striking miners or Cambodian police uses AK 47s against workers on strike.

Why should people care that one set of authoritarian conservatives (the old government and especially the previous President) got taken down partly by other authoritarian conservatives (the fascists who participated in the opposition)?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Silver2195 posted:

Who has been doing this, exactly? Are you talking about people posting here? Because I'm pretty sure it's mostly the far-left posters who were anti-Arab Spring.

The number of leftists who gobble up Moscow propaganda is pretty alarming.

e: The idea is anti-West/EU = good

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Miltank posted:

The number of leftists who gobble up Moscow propaganda is pretty alarming.

e: The idea is anti-West/EU = good

In all fairness, the right in America is even more creepily pro-Putin at times (which is perhaps even weirder, since he's ex-KGB).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 27, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

In all fairness, the right in America is even more creepily pro-Putin at times.
And outright pro-Putin, as well, to the point of wanting a Putin-type leader in America. The left tends to either equivocate about Putin or side with the Kremlin's foreign policy positions.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Omi-Polari posted:

And outright pro-Putin, as well, to the point of wanting a Putin-type leader in America. The left tends to either equivocate about Putin or side with the Kremlin's foreign policy positions.

Yeah the Western right actually support or at least sympathise with Putin's policies, whereas the pro-Russian left only like him in as much as he's anti-Western and they conceive of everything as a geopolitical showdown between a hegemonic (therefore evil) West and an anti-hegemonic (therefore good) Russia/China bloc.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zohar posted:

Yeah the Western right actually support or at least sympathise with Putin's policies, whereas the pro-Russian left only like him in as much as he's anti-Western and they conceive of everything as a geopolitical showdown between a hegemonic (therefore evil) West and an anti-hegemonic (therefore good) Russia/China bloc.
Yeah exactly. Here's an example of the lefty equivocation I was talking about. The Nation published this:

quote:

American media coverage of Vladimir Putin, who today began his third term as Russia’s president and 13th year as its leader, has so demonized him that the result may be to endanger U.S. national security. For nearly 10 years, mainstream press reporting, editorials and op-ed articles have increasingly portrayed Putin as a czar-like “autocrat,” or alternatively a “KGB thug,” who imposed a “rollback of democratic reforms” under way in Russia when he succeeded Boris Yeltsin as president in 2000. He installed instead “venal regime” that has permitted “corruptionism, encouraged the assassination of a “growing number” of journalists and carried out the “killing of political opponents.” Not infrequently, Putin is compared to Saddam Hussein and even Stalin.

Well-informed opinions, in the West and in Russia, differ considerably as to the pluses and minuses of Putin’s leadership over the years—my own evaluation is somewhere in the middle—but there is no evidence that any of these allegations against him are true, or at least entirely true.

http://www.thenation.com/article/176191/demonizing-putin-endangers-americas-security
The comparisons to Saddam and Stalin are over the top, but here you have a left-wing magazine :qq: about Putin being called a czar-like autocrat. He's not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiWnSOsAnE&t=845s

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 27, 2014

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
I don't support the Gauls or the Romans but third campism is an easy way out out of a pressing material conundrum. Luckily Ukraine is a piece of poo poo in more ways than just having a self interested (petit) bourgeoisie. Nuance is actually a pretty good thing imho

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Mans posted:

Please explain how the bolded part is going to happen, because right now it's pretty clear the left is going to do jack poo poo about conservatives, until others organize a revolution for them, realize that without the left they can't hope to ever win and then humbly ask the communists to assume leadership.

Wait, this isn't going to happen, because fascists apparently multiply like xenomorphs. You just let one into your protest and welp, there is no hope, he'll just lay swastika-adorned eggs, spawn little face-hugging Hitlers and you'll just stand there, helpless, and it will be YOUR fault for letting them into your protest instead of true saviors from the left!

quote:

You don't need to be Lenin to understand just how utterly stupid it is to claim that the left didn't try hard enough after any attempt at organizing a leftist side of the protests ended in summary beatings and expulsion. The left was hopeless in the movement, much like it was already hopeless before. Only a retard, or a Svoboda goon who wished he could've beaten some leftists, would say that the left should've "tried harder" to participate alongside the mentality of the protests.

The left is hosed precisely because it frequently doesn't bother to do anything together, preferring to pursue their own pet projects. You could think that the threat of an authoritarian, right-wing government violently cracking down on peaceful opposition would be enough to at least work out at least a common stance. What happened instead, you could see in that article.

I will risk appearing even more like a Svoboda fascist and say that one of the most serious reasons why the left is moribund in the Eastern Europe is because they appear weak and useless. People actually sided with Bolsheviks not because of their inherent moral superiority, but because they actually were competent and well-organized enough to offer them some stabilization. No one is going to side with people who constantly wait for some better times and their last victory they can bring up happened maybe 70 years ago.

Mans posted:

Not to mention how much they like to whistle to the side about literal fascists rising inside the EU or switch all confrontations between police and protesters as professional thugs fighting poor police officers.

Right now I don't even know what is your deal here. I supported most of these protests you wrote about, including the Egyptian one. I certainly hasn't written even a word against them. Still got called a liberal and a fascist simultaneously for daring to criticize the glorious left of the Ukraine. :allears:

Omi-Polari posted:

Assuming all of that requires overlooking some important facts. Like the fact that Svoboda's support during the height of the protests was half what it was two years ago. It overlooks that the far right is more divided now. There's a new generation of activist leaders radicalized by Maidan who are not of the far right. And it all overlooks the many ways Yanukovych and his supporters in Russia have exploited anti-Semitism (spreading propaganda that the protesters are "Nazi-Zionists") and homophobia (the Russian press is in horror at rumors Ukraine's new interior minister is gay) and - allegedly - using far right groups supportive of Yanukovych (tiny ones, granted) as agents provocateurs.

Exactly right. The western left is getting played by RT and the Kremlin just as liberals were back in the day when you had dictators like Salazar and Franco. They co-opted or tolerated the pure fascists and sidelined the ones that didn't want to be co-opted, and then used their presence as justification for authoritarian rule with concessions from Washington and the European capitals. Gays in Russia are being attacked by state-backed fascist vigilante gangs and where's the Western left?

Or you just need to point at Crimean Tatars who today protested the attempts of their region to secede. Apparently they prefer to stay in the fascist hellhole that Ukraine will surely become, rather than join glorious Mother Russia.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gantolandon posted:

he left is hosed precisely because it frequently doesn't bother to do anything together, preferring to pursue their own pet projects. You could think that the threat of an authoritarian, right-wing government violently cracking down on peaceful opposition would be enough to at least work out at least a common stance. What happened instead, you could see in that article.
It's hosed because of numbers, so the people remaining scale down their ambitions and try and achieve small goals. The left in the Ukraine isn't strong enough to do jack poo poo, unlike the far right which is overthworing the government right now.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gantolandon posted:

Please explain how the bolded part is going to happen, because right now it's pretty clear the left is going to do jack poo poo about conservatives, until others organize a revolution for them, realize that without the left they can't hope to ever win and then humbly ask the communists to assume leadership.

Wait, this isn't going to happen, because fascists apparently multiply like xenomorphs. You just let one into your protest and welp, there is no hope, he'll just lay swastika-adorned eggs, spawn little face-hugging Hitlers and you'll just stand there, helpless, and it will be YOUR fault for letting them into your protest instead of true saviors from the left!

The left is hosed precisely because it frequently doesn't bother to do anything together, preferring to pursue their own pet projects. You could think that the threat of an authoritarian, right-wing government violently cracking down on peaceful opposition would be enough to at least work out at least a common stance. What happened instead, you could see in that article.

I will risk appearing even more like a Svoboda fascist and say that one of the most serious reasons why the left is moribund in the Eastern Europe is because they appear weak and useless. People actually sided with Bolsheviks not because of their inherent moral superiority, but because they actually were competent and well-organized enough to offer them some stabilization. No one is going to side with people who constantly wait for some better times and their last victory they can bring up happened maybe 70 years ago.

The reason the left didn't do poo poo in Ukraine is they barely existed in the first place, it is like calling a ghost lazy. In addition, also certainly even if they draped themselves in the Ukrainian flag they would have been outed as "Russian traitors" by far-right because the far-right hates leftists among many others.

The Bolsheviks hit at a point that really hasn't arrived, especially the fact that Russia in 1917 was already was already very left leaning and (other) socialists had already assumed control. They failed (the other leftists)), which gave the most extreme of the leftists an opening and they took it.

If anything the present-era it is a contrary example, Ukraine has steadily moved to the right and any leftists would be isolated as hell not just from the far-right but the center-right as well. In addition, they would be attaching themselves to a revolution that to be honest isn't going to turn out so well for the average Ukrainian economically. No leftist is going to fight in the streets for IMF loans.

Basically, they are so marginalized they don't have a place to fight, if it is a choice between the opposition and the Yanukovich, it sounds like most leftists thought neither and stayed at home because it is ultimately an inner right-wing conflict. What what would they gain at this point anyway? An association agreement with the EU (which is very different being on a track to accession)? Svoboda in the cabinet? Austerity from the aforementioned loans? It is a lose-lose situation especially for them.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A lot of what you said makes no sense directed at me and is actually something you should be saying to Ukranian leftists. You lacked a complete interest in reading what i wrote just to keep on harping about nothing in particular (i'm a frequent victim of doing that too, i admit it).

The left is hosed in Ukraine because the ghost of the left is captured in the CPU which puts the image of the left directly connected to a terrible image of corruption and regionalism. Any leftists attempting to be "strong" will be literally beaten by fascists, as it loving happened. The left will forever be moribund in Ukraine and Russia while the iconography of the left remains masterfully controlled by the status quo and will be dead on the water in Poland because they are literally banned (while fascists and football hooligans are free to roam and even run as candidates to positions of power).

At the point the left exists in these countries they have as much of a chance as a leftist movement during Pinochet or Franco. No matter how much Gantolandon-like strenght they might have they'll never have a chance.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The reason the left didn't do poo poo in Ukraine is they barely existed in the first place, it is like calling a ghost lazy. In addition, also certainly even if they draped themselves in the Ukrainian flag they would have been outed as "Russian traitors" by far-right because the far-right hates leftists among many others.

I really, really doubt it. From what I saw in the article, they were chased out of the protest when it was a (kinda) peaceful demonstration and no one yet expected the sudden turn of events. Fascist may hate the left, but probably not to the point of attacking their fellow defenders in the middle of the Berkut attack.

quote:

The Bolsheviks hit at a point that really hasn't arrived, especially the fact that Russia in 1917 was already was already very left leaning and (other) socialists had already assumed control. They failed (the other leftists)), which gave the most extreme of the leftists an opening and they took it.

If anything the present-era it is a contrary example, Ukraine has steadily moved to the right and any leftists would be isolated as hell not just from the far-right but the center-right as well. In addition, they would be attaching themselves to a revolution that to be honest isn't going to turn out so well for the average Ukrainian economically. No leftist is going to fight in the streets for IMF loans.

Basically, they are so marginalized they don't have a place to fight, if it is a choice between the opposition and the Yanukovich, it sounds like most leftists thought neither and stayed at home because it is ultimately an inner right-wing conflict. What what would they gain at this point anyway? An association agreement with the EU (which is very different being on a track to accession)? Svoboda in the cabinet? Austerity from the aforementioned loans? It is a lose-lose situation especially for them.

This shift to the right in the Eastern Europe happened not without a reason. It has a lot to do with the left traditionally being viewed as the establishment. Partially this is because of these countries communist past, but it's the transformation that truly hosed things up for the left.

In the case of Poland, many former communists suddenly acquired a lot of property and became successful businessmen, while their former colleagues from SLD became a de facto neoliberal party, theoretically in opposition to the right, but practically not very different.

It created a strange situation where the nationalist right were the only ones to contest neoliberal policies. Throughout the 90s, it was them who loudly criticized the privatization, while the socialists along with liberals ridiculed them as paranoid morons. They were the ones who claimed that it's not right that Polish workplaces are bought and immediately closed by the Westerners, while social-democrats were busy fellating the free market. Of course, because of that they got to claim that it's all communism's fault - if only we had another Romania instead of this wishy-washy Round Table, such things clearly wouldn't happen! I can only imagine the same, more or less, happened in Ukraine, although with a bit less neoliberalism and a bit more pure cronyism.

So what does the left in the Ukraine had to gain from conflict with Yanukovych? Mostly, it would allow them to clear their name and become visibly distinct from their "compatriots" from Communist Party of Ukraine. There is also a (slight) chance they could turn the gaze of the people to all oligarchs, rather than only those connected to Yanukovych. Of course, you can argue they would never become influent enough to ever achieve it, but they could certainly try.

Now they are truly hosed. If they oppose the current government from any reason, it's their word against the word of established revolutionaries. If they ever criticize the Right Sector too much, the latter can safely accuse them of wanting to put Yanukovych back in power.

Mans posted:

The left is hosed in Ukraine because the ghost of the left is captured in the CPU which puts the image of the left directly connected to a terrible image of corruption and regionalism. Any leftists attempting to be "strong" will be literally beaten by fascists, as it loving happened. The left will forever be moribund in Ukraine and Russia while the iconography of the left remains masterfully controlled by the status quo and will be dead on the water in Poland because they are literally banned (while fascists and football hooligans are free to roam and even run as candidates to positions of power).

While I agree with the most of this paragraph, your presentation of situation in Poland is a bit off.

Actually, the fascists are as free to run as candidates as communists here. The fragment of the constitution you speak about bans explicitly both kind of parties, and every other, whose program or activities involve:

• making their structures or membership secret,
  • advocation or toleration of hate for other races or nations
  • using violence to achieve political goals

Incidentally, this article is effectively dead, unless the party manifesto states "we are communists who are going to overthrow you". While PiS were in power, they managed to pass a much more dangerous law banning the use of communist symbols, but the Constitutional Tribunal found it unconstitutional.

Also, the law enforcement is much less tolerant to fascists than in the West. Most of the violent nationalists recruit among soccer hooligans and poor urban youth - both of these groups viciously hate the police and are very poorly treated by them in return.

Edit: Even putting "communist" in the party name is not enough - a fringe Communist Party of Poland exists since 2002.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gantolandon posted:

I really, really doubt it. From what I saw in the article, they were chased out of the protest when it was a (kinda) peaceful demonstration and no one yet expected the sudden turn of events. Fascist may hate the left, but probably not to the point of attacking their fellow defenders in the middle of the Berkut attack.

The protest went quite a while and the Berkut wasn't there the whole time, but it is almost certain the far-right at some level was around for most of it. From what I have seen, it wouldn't take much for some guys to turn on some "commies."

quote:

So what does the left in the Ukraine had to gain from conflict with Yanukovych? Mostly, it would allow them to clear their name and become visibly distinct from their "compatriots" from Communist Party of Ukraine. There is also a (slight) chance they could turn the gaze of the people to all oligarchs, rather than only those connected to Yanukovych. Of course, you can argue they would never become influent enough to ever achieve it, but they could certainly try.

Now they are truly hosed. If they oppose the current government from any reason, it's their word against the word of established revolutionaries. If they ever criticize the Right Sector too much, the latter can safely accuse them of wanting to put Yanukovych back in power.

"Clearing their name" seems a bit much especially since they could be risking their lives for a cause they may not strongly believe in. Also, to be honest, I don't think they would have ever been a honest shake by the right or a seat at the table, if only because they were too insignificant. In addition, I don't think attaching themselves to the new government is a smart move to begin with, because its future is already very murky and helping install a government that is going to work in the IMF probably isn't going to be worth it. To honest, I think "loyalty to the revolution" itself won't be much of an issue compare to other issues Ukraine will directly face.

• Locked thread