Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Tannistry seems to be an interesting succession law, like elective but you'll always be outvoted. Is there any point using it?

Tanistry is guaranteed to keep the crown in your dynasty, which is why I love it. You usually will flip between two branches of the family, which allows you to tutor your potential heirs.

It's also possible to use as an unreformed pagan, which is another awesome thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought they were already folding in some East Africa updates into this DLC.

I wonder if W. Africa will get Jungle terrain as well.

And war elephants, or were they no longer a thing over there after Hannibal did his thing?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zoinker posted:

And war elephants, or were they no longer a thing over there after Hannibal did his thing?

North African elephants went extinct and sub-Saharan elephants were too aggressive to tame.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought they were already folding in some East Africa updates into this DLC.

I wonder if W. Africa will get Jungle terrain as well.

Yeah they'll add a few new things in East Africa, it was indd confirmed. I presume it's just some new provinces though, nothing special.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the "Empire of Mann" still in ck2+ (or vanilla)? I just remembered it existed once and now feel obligated to try to form it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dutchfool posted:

Yeah they'll add a few new things in East Africa, it was indd confirmed. I presume it's just some new provinces though, nothing special.

They're adding a Jewish kingdom there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Semien

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

SeaTard posted:

Tanistry is guaranteed to keep the crown in your dynasty, which is why I love it. You usually will flip between two branches of the family, which allows you to tutor your potential heirs.

Tanistry is guaranteed to create powerful claimaints on the crown. It may keep the crown in your family, but if you have neightbours you can still lose the territory to invasion.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

Africa and China for the next two DLCs, calling it now.

I can just imagine the China/Asia expansion now.

700 new provinces. Plenty of engine optimizations though, so you shouldn't notice any slowdown unless you play on of the top four speeds! :v:

:negative:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'll admit, I'm super excited about the changes to the rebellion system, especially if the new Faction Leader calls up the levies rather than everyone spawning their own. I'm sick of having to play whack-a-mole with 10 different armies. Civil Wars tend to be a half-decade slog since the AI moves its armies before mine get there, and I have to manage 3 or 4 different pursuits at once.

Give me two massive stacks crashing against each other so I can win a glorious victory, then despair as my stack is outfought and I have to spend my warchest on mercenaries because drat it, I will not let seven duchies that I could easily re-conquer become independent and make my borders un-pretty! :argh:

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Sometimes this game gets confusing.

I just went through a pretty cool crisis. In this Persia game I'm running, the Byzantines turned into a Catholic merchant Republic a while back. Eventually, they got fed up with my expansion along the southern Anatolian coast and got the Pope to call a big ugly crusade against me. As I was in the middle of fighting this huge wave of invaders off - mainly in Sicily, where the Germans, Papists, and Italians concentrated their forces - I got the Khan of Khans gathering strength message. A year or so later the Il Khanate burst onto the stage and conquered my Eastern-most provinces. I wrung a hard fought peace from the Catholics and turned to fight the Il Khanate, but I didn't engage them in time and the hit 100% was score without facing my own doomstack. After letting my forces rebuild, I went in for an attack on the Il Khanate to free occupied Khiva, only to find out that the Golden Horde had also shown up and wanted a piece of me as well. It took some doing (and about 8k gold spent on mercenaries and retinues, but I finally managed to turn both Mongol hordes without suffering too appalling of a defeat.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TheLoquid posted:

Sometimes this game gets confusing.

Scotland has been busy I see

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the "Empire of Mann" still in ck2+ (or vanilla)? I just remembered it existed once and now feel obligated to try to form it.

You could make it with the customizer DLC, but you'd probably wanna change the flag yourself.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Geokinesis posted:

Tannistry seems to be an interesting succession law, like elective but you'll always be outvoted. Is there any point using it?

I played a game as Welsh britain with Tanistry as my succession law and resolved to just go with whomever got elected and not meddle in the succession myself. I had a blast, it was the first time in a long time I ended up playing a schizophrenic lunatic, who won the election when the first Empress died.

Highlights of the reign of Cerdiwen the Mad were being thrown out of Rome for declaring herself the second coming, conquering everything from the Elbe to the Algarve, and reducing Catholicism to a heresy of Catharism all in a single lifetime.

And they said she was mad. MAD!

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Scotland has been busy I see

Honestly I have no idea how Scotland ended up controlling a little landlocked slice of the steppe, but Scotland has been pretty cool this game. They threw off the Viking yoke under the leadership of "Neil the Liberator" and presently control about half of England, with the remainder being a York/Frisia union ruled by the Karlings and the petty kingdom of Wessex, which has managed to hold on to Southern England throughout all the turmoil of the last four hundred odd years.

Also, my grandmother has organized a huge rebellion against me and conjured 70000 soldiers to wipe out my Sicillian garrison. Thanks grammy.

bonus: the mean grandmother in question:

Yes, I'm totally her heir.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 26, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How long does the sickly trait last? My son is 4 years old and it still hasn't gone away. It isn't going to last forever is it?

EDIT: It went away a few months later.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 26, 2014

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Does an up-to-date version of the Shattered World scenario exist? It was my favorite way to play, and now it doesn't seem to exist in its original form. Some of the most amazing chaos came out of those "everything is reduced to single counties" starts.

I was hoping that CK2+ still had it, but it seems to be suffering from a complete lack of optional modules in general.

Someone on the forums has a version but it's not quite what I'm looking for. They completely disable vanilla CBs because of how they've hacked together their "dynamic duchies."

This person does another version that takes out the pre-existing kingdoms and empires, leaving behind only duchies to start out. It's closer to what I want, but not quite there.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

SourceElement posted:

Does an up-to-date version of the Shattered World scenario exist? It was my favorite way to play, and now it doesn't seem to exist in its original form. Some of the most amazing chaos came out of those "everything is reduced to single counties" starts.

I was hoping that CK2+ still had it, but it seems to be suffering from a complete lack of optional modules in general.

Someone on the forums has a version but it's not quite what I'm looking for. They completely disable vanilla CBs because of how they've hacked together their "dynamic duchies."

This person does another version that takes out the pre-existing kingdoms and empires, leaving behind only duchies to start out. It's closer to what I want, but not quite there.

I used Kingdoms Abound to do this. It has an option that'll make a mod of the game where the history has been cleared and you can spawn a certain amount of realms. If you set the realms to 9999 (or any other number higher than the amount of counties) then every county will be its own realm.

I'm wondering if there is a mod out there that starts the game with the dejure kingdoms or empires intact.

e: Its main purpose is not what I just described, so it isn't advertised as doing that. It is capable of it though and hasn't caused any problems aside from the Duchy of Latium not being part of any empire's de jure territory for some reason.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I just had my first ever "gently caress no, gently caress this, reload a save" moment. I go to war against a single province ruler, get about 90% in the siege, then bam, peasant revolt spawns 3000 troops on top of my 2000, they crush me, and I white peace out. I start retreating to my land and ANOTHER peasant revolt in a different ruler's realm fires, blocking my escape with about 2500 troops to my 900.

This is after I've had revolts fire in provinces I'm sieging like 3 times already.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SourceElement posted:

It should be in CK2+ it's the alternative scenarios submod

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TTBF posted:

I used Kingdoms Abound to do this. It has an option that'll make a mod of the game where the history has been cleared and you can spawn a certain amount of realms. If you set the realms to 9999 (or any other number higher than the amount of counties) then every county will be its own realm.

I'm wondering if there is a mod out there that starts the game with the dejure kingdoms or empires intact.

e: Its main purpose is not what I just described, so it isn't advertised as doing that. It is capable of it though and hasn't caused any problems aside from the Duchy of Latium not being part of any empire's de jure territory for some reason.

You don't even need to set the realms to 9999 anymore, it has a feature specifically for making shattered world-types -- you just set history to "Generate" instead of "Clear" (if memory serves). I think you can do what you're asking about using that feature too, there's something about what level you want to clear titles up to in there.

Duchy of Latium tends to drift into the Papacy's de jure land, and the Papacy doesn't have a de jure empire title. Maybe that's it? Dunno.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?757922-Alternate-Bookmarks
Here this is the shattered world CK2+ mod

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any way to use the console to change a characters name? I fatfingered some numbers and stuff into my heirs name.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dongattack posted:

Any way to use the console to change a characters name? I fatfingered some numbers and stuff into my heirs name.

Not that I know of but it is really easy to edit in the savefile instead.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Allyn posted:

You don't even need to set the realms to 9999 anymore, it has a feature specifically for making shattered world-types -- you just set history to "Generate" instead of "Clear" (if memory serves). I think you can do what you're asking about using that feature too, there's something about what level you want to clear titles up to in there.

Duchy of Latium tends to drift into the Papacy's de jure land, and the Papacy doesn't have a de jure empire title. Maybe that's it? Dunno.

Oh wow, thanks for that info. I either misread about (or assumed incorrectly) the 'generate' function. That's really helpful to know about.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Just leave it in and in the future hope that scores of Jeff5reys are created by the AI

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Broadly speaking does CK2+ make the game more fun or just more historically accurate?

also does it play nice with all existing DLC? I finally got them working properly

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
CK2+'s design goal is to make the game more balanced/challenging and deeper, not necessarily "more historical" (you want HIP for that) or "more fun", and the successor team hasn't yet (IMO) thrown that completely aside. I haven't had any problems using it with all the current DLC, either.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deeper sounds good, though I find it challenging enough already unless I'm literally Genghis Khan or, for some reason, Sweden.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Am I just blind/dumb or is the game lying when it says you can legitimise bastards at a later date when you acknowledge them at birth?
I started my first ironman game as doux of dioclea and worked my way up to king of serbia (all four provinces of it, since the last one is in bulgaria).
Anyway, I have an acknowledged bastard and looked in the intrigue tab as well as diplomacy options both before and after he came of age and could find nothing.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Tech spreads to adjacent counties, so anything you advance in your capital will spread throughout your desmesne and also to any counties adjacent to your capital, and from there it'll spread to counties adjacent to your desmesne and counties adjacent to the other adjacent counties, and so on and so forth until it's everywhere.

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech always spreads to adjacent counties, regardless of who the holder is. The only advantage to personally holding counties is that tech will spread between the counties in your demense as if they were adjacent, no matter how far away they actually are. You can send councillors to spread tech in any county in your realm, but I can't remember how that works or where you're supposed to put them for maximum effect.

"Spread tech" was referring to the councilor mission to spread tech since that's what he was talking about. I hadn't been able to get on CK since posting until now, but I just double checked and you can only send them to counties you personally hold.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

MrBling posted:

Am I just blind/dumb or is the game lying when it says you can legitimise bastards at a later date when you acknowledge them at birth?
I started my first ironman game as doux of dioclea and worked my way up to king of serbia (all four provinces of it, since the last one is in bulgaria).
Anyway, I have an acknowledged bastard and looked in the intrigue tab as well as diplomacy options both before and after he came of age and could find nothing.

It's definitely in the intrigue tab, I don't know what the conditions are to have it show up though, I thought it just... did :(

TheBlackRoija posted:

"Spread tech" was referring to the councilor mission to spread tech since that's what he was talking about. I hadn't been able to get on CK since posting until now, but I just double checked and you can only send them to counties you personally hold.

Weird sidenote: I think you can actually place your court chaplain down in a vassal's territory to spread cultural tech, but it doesn't have any effect and clearly isn't meant to be allowed :shobon:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Should you put a spread tech councillor in a high or a low tech province? I've always been vague on that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

I just had my first ever "gently caress no, gently caress this, reload a save" moment. I go to war against a single province ruler, get about 90% in the siege, then bam, peasant revolt spawns 3000 troops on top of my 2000, they crush me, and I white peace out. I start retreating to my land and ANOTHER peasant revolt in a different ruler's realm fires, blocking my escape with about 2500 troops to my 900.

This is after I've had revolts fire in provinces I'm sieging like 3 times already.

I think this really highlights the problem of rebellions: I don't think they can have a reasonable chance of winning without being seen by the player as bullshit.

If a rebellion spawns with more troops than the player can possibly muster, then they'll call bullshit. If the rebellion has a reasonable number of troops, but spawns when the player is least-equipped to deal with them, then they'll call bullshit. If rebellions never spawn with enough troops to have a chance at winning, then they're just an annoyance.

A large part of the problem is definitely that rebellions aren't a major gameplay mechanic, and honestly, shouldn't be. Vassal rebellions already serve the gameplay role that random revolts do in EU and Vicky: punishing overextension and creating breakaway states. But at the same time, you can't just ignore the issue of peasant revolts. So it's in the lovely situation of being both necessary, and unfun. I could propose ways to make dealing with rebels more fun, but the fact of the matter is that that's EU's wheelhouse.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DStecks posted:

I think this really highlights the problem of rebellions: I don't think they can have a reasonable chance of winning without being seen by the player as bullshit.

If a rebellion spawns with more troops than the player can possibly muster, then they'll call bullshit. If the rebellion has a reasonable number of troops, but spawns when the player is least-equipped to deal with them, then they'll call bullshit. If rebellions never spawn with enough troops to have a chance at winning, then they're just an annoyance.

A large part of the problem is definitely that rebellions aren't a major gameplay mechanic, and honestly, shouldn't be. Vassal rebellions already serve the gameplay role that random revolts do in EU and Vicky: punishing overextension and creating breakaway states. But at the same time, you can't just ignore the issue of peasant revolts. So it's in the lovely situation of being both necessary, and unfun. I could propose ways to make dealing with rebels more fun, but the fact of the matter is that that's EU's wheelhouse.

Vassals should be better about putting down peasant rebellions near them without the player taking action. I mean, that's part of the job.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Should you put a spread tech councillor in a high or a low tech province? I've always been vague on that.

Provinces get tech spread by being adjacent to higher-level tech, being in the same demense as higher-level tech, or having your spymaster spy on a higher-tech county (not sure if this is capital or all.) The 'spread tech' missions increase the rate at which that particular province gains tech from these sources, but do not increase the spread out of the province. You want to put your councilors where you're gaining that tech and need it to go faster. This may be in your capital so you can take advantage of spymasters and keep your capital at the highest tech or it may be in another province to increase the spread from your capital (which will generally have the highest tech due to getting raised from the tech point system.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Everything else in the game is an interpersonal relationship where you can see the other guy, see if he likes you or not, see why, and take steps to change that. Peasant revolts are a percentage chance that sometimes materialize out of thin air; they just don't fit.

Plus, good governance still doesn't completely prevent them. If I keep a vassal happy with a 100 opinion of me, he's never ever going to rebel. But if I'm doing a good job and the revolt chance is 0.1%, that number can still come up, and if it does, just as many peasants are gonna revolt as they would if I was Sauron incarnate. Everything about the mechanic sucks.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Vassals should be better about putting down rebellions near them without the player taking action. I mean, that's part of the job.

Agreed, but that seems like it could be tricky under CKII's revolt system. This could be a case where EU's rebellion mechanics might work a little better, since revolts in CKII are just like any other war, meaning they're targeted only against the liege, so vassals are under no obligation to do anything.

Maybe if you could call vassals into revolt wars, that could work? But then revolts would have to be way bigger. Actually, that doesn't sound like a half bad idea. The only real issue with it would be that you'd run the risk of double dipping too hard on punishments for your vassals not liking you.

EDIT: Also, everything CapnAndy said is the truth. Even if it can be made more fun to deal with, it still doesn't fit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If I were asked to come up with a new system for random revolts, I'd probably have a revolt start off as a nasty province modifier rather than troops (something like -50% income, -50% levies), and have it kick off an event chain against the province owner (probably a different event chain for each of angry peasant, cultural, religious, heretic, and nationalist revolts), that they could respond to based on attributes and traits to try to contain or put down the rebellion. Responding well could reduce the penalties or remove them entirely, while responding badly could worse them or actually kick off a full revolt with troops.

You'd probably also need to increase the frequency of revolts somewhat, so that poor rulers feel actively hated by the peasantry, while good rulers are beloved and their rule peaceful.

Edit: Possibly even have revolt work their way up the chain: idiot count couldn't contain the revolt, so the duke has to deal with it. If the duke can't crush it, it becomes big enough to force the king's hand, ect.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

They only add a bonus to the rate of tech spread TO that county, so short answer: low tech.
If you open the county window and mouse over the tech icons it will show you the progress being made on each tech of that type and a breakdown of the contributors and bonuses. If it's 0.0%/year sending your councilors there isn't going to do anything.
This can also be seen by opening the tech screen and mousing over a given county... if the cogs are spinning progress is being made and a councilor can speed it up, if they are greyed out you aren't gaining anything on that tech.

At the start of the game I generally keep them in my capital and send my spymaster to study tech somewhere like Constantinople (which causes it to spread tech to my capital). Once the capital is teched up they can be used to spread it around your demesne. If you intend to move your capital it can be a good idea to send your councilors there ahead of time.

edit:

StashAugustine posted:

or having your spymaster spy on a higher-tech county (not sure if this is capital or all.)
Its capital only

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

If I were asked to come up with a new system for random revolts, I'd probably have a revolt start off as a nasty province modifier rather than troops (something like -50% income, -50% levies), and have it kick off an event chain against the province owner (probably a different event chain for each of angry peasant, cultural, religious, heretic, and nationalist revolts), that they could respond to based on attributes and traits to try to contain or put down the rebellion. Responding well could reduce the penalties or remove them entirely, while responding badly could worse them or actually kick off a full revolt with troops.

You'd probably also need to increase the frequency of revolts somewhat, so that poor rulers feel actively hated by the peasantry, while good rulers are beloved and their rule peaceful.

Edit: Possibly even have revolt work their way up the chain: idiot count couldn't contain the revolt, so the duke has to deal with it. If the duke can't crush it, it becomes big enough to force the king's hand, ect.

I like the sound of this, since it also means adding more to do at low-level titles.

• Locked thread