Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There's something about the weight of three games and good voice acting and previous quests that gives even average lines a lot of weight. I'm kinda tearing up at Garrus' "I'm... sure they're fine".

The whole conversation is just... good. No offense to STEEEEEEEEEEVE, or Bishop Vega, there's only so much care I'm going to put into their dead husband / lost colony stories. Garrus, meanwhile... well, if it wasn't for his infuriating love of calibrations (roundly mocked here) we'd have banged well back in ME2, so...

Hmm. All those emails almost make it seem as though the game wants me to go back to the Citadel. Nah.

Also, Ashley as a Spectre? What did she do over the last three years? (Actually, what the gently caress did she during her time on my ship, besides hanging out in the cargo hold and getting her rear end saved by me while planting a bomb?)

The average ME1 mission (and a great many ME2 missions) were basically "everyone is dead, now fight these guys". If we actually get to save some students, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jack! A slightly less pointlessly assholish Jack! That's good. Not quite Garrus levels of good, but still.

David! I suddenly care about him way more than I care about Jack. Probably more than I cared about most every ME2 "remember me from the first game? hi bye" encounter.

But come on - "lots of guns" = one gun and a mod? In order to get the encounter, you have buy a DLC, make a particular choice and import the character that made it. Splurge a bit for that dedication and make it two guns, or even (gasp) three.

The mech section was a bit meh - the regular missiles had literally no splash damage (firing a missile within an inch of someones feet with no reaction is just odd) and the big missiles homed in right into the first available piece of cover - but overall, this was pretty good.

Just delaying things a bit means that I have a conversation every other step on the Citadel.

"The Turians, or you?" Wow. There's writing on the nose, and then there's this. Hurray for Psych 101, and good thing Jacob isn't here to see this.

Once again, I'd forgive a great deal if that "Good luck with that" was followed by Shepard just walking the hell away from Miranda. Alas, my RPG habits make it impossible to refuse a quest.

Thane!

Thane :( :sympathy:

Dr Michel - for one thing, I'm glad you settled on an accent, even though there's no way I would have pegged yours as french back in ME1. For another, drop all the setting building chatter and tell me you've heard about some experimental Prothean tech cure that I have to kill a bunch of Reapers for. Please?

Whoops, almost got stuck on... some air above the stairs? The hell.

Yes Ashley, I'll be positively delighted to have someone taking up much needed space in the cargo hold again. I'm very pleased as a player to be given no choice in the matter (well, I suppose I could have avoided talking to you)

Garrus - "What exactly is an extremely badass sniper supposed to do against a Reaper?" Ashley - "I'm totally going out there and shoving their tentacles up wherever". Sure you are. :downsbravo:

Hah - I was thinking I'd have to buy a bunch of stuff for Ashley from the hospital gift shop, but they closed the moment she woke up.

Kasumi. :geno:

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Easily the most awkward and :effort: cameo in the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xander77 posted:

if it wasn't for his infuriating love of calibrations

To be fair, once you get to fire that gun in ME2... well holy poo poo, those calibrations were worth it! :hellyeah:

What really bugged me about the romances in the games was that if you chose not to take part, content just basically halted and you ran out of new conversation options. ME2 was very bad for this, but ME3 at least allowed the characters to walk around the ship and interact with each other and not just wait passively for you to come and talk with them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Burning Mustache posted:

I feel like, despite it taking place during a real mission, Jacob's is still worse.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Burning Mustache posted:

Her whole character from the very start felt like a fan who'd written/shoehorned themself into the game anyway. Stuff like referring to Shepard as 'Shep' and doing omgsocool backflips off a gunship never felt natural to me.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I honestly don't know why people liked Kasumi. I didn't like her in ME2. The whole "I'm a thief! But I don't steal for money! I steal for the love of stealing... and art!" schtick frickin' grated on me.

The James Bond-y mission was alright, though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lycus posted:

I feel like, despite it taking place during a real mission, Jacob's is still worse.

Jacob's mission is redeemed for me by going in with a Shepard that romanced him in 2, with no effort towards amending the... situation. Shepard gets to take out the claws and get real catty :nyd:

And then the poo poo you can say to him on the Citadel afterwards, and then the Citadel DLC. Makes romancing that zero worth it.

EDIT: VVV "Trapped inside a Reaper. Could be worse. Don't know how but... I guess it could be full of rats." VVV

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 26, 2014

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
I dunno, I thought she was funny a lot of the time when you took her along and her mission was pretty cool and unique, a nice change of pace.
I never really cared much for the whole super thief schtick and she was pretty cool if you didn't pay much mind to that I suppose!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I like that you specified "certain" characters since they just put Legion back in there anyway even if you shipped him off to Cerberus, only he's a copy or something that the Geth happened to have lying around.

Except that Not-Legion is very clear that he isn't Legion and doesn't share Legion's attitudes towards organics, to the degree of being unwilling to make peace with the quarians.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does Shepard still insist on calling it Legion if you never activated Legion, or shipped it off to Cerberus?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"YOU BIG STUPID JELLYFISH!"

So that Salarian guy was a Spectre? Huh.

I feel like the games haven't really done much with the Spectre thing. Like ME1 could have used a couple of Spectres to represent the Paragon / Renegade approach and to demonstrate that the galaxy has problems beyond the area Shepard operates in. You could have helped them out once in a while, and they could help you in turn. Guess that wouldn't be a very Bioware style story.

I guess there's a new rule on the citadel - nobody cares about fucks with gives a poo poo about Aria. So badass, omg.

Isn't the whole Blood Pack thing about them being Krogan? I seem to recall a big speech to that effect on Tuchanka. Why is a Vorcha running them now?

Wow, that's a shitload lot of weapons that I can buy. And apparently we've taken a step back from ME1 and I can't compare any of them in a simple manner? Seriously, this is needlessly complicated (particularly since every weapon only has a couple of upgrade slots, you'll only be carrying 2 or so, and your companions weapons don't matter).

On the other hand, the centralized buying interface on the ship is bloody brilliant. Why don't more games implement something this obvious?

I rather liked the old "here's your quest, here's the subsection of the quest you're on now, here's where you find the next guy you want to talk to" journal entries. Why the change?

"Anthropocentric bag of dicks."

Every Cerberus soldier is a Reaper slave? Is that something I was supposed to learn latter, or is the idea that once you're part husk, that's what happens, and all of IM's big "dominate them" plans are absolute bunk from the very start?

Every once in a while you just don't get the Talk icon. Annoying. So far I can't talk to the volus for his book, the drunk soldiers in Purgatory and someone else. This game is very well tested.

Whoops. Apparently making out with Thane was a poor idea. Oh well.

A new teammate appears. I either assign each of their 40+ skills points manually, or accept the auto levelup result - with no middle ground. Good design.

OMG, Aria is so cool (Aria is an original character, plz donut steel >:() She's even cooler then Shepard and she goes on badass adventures and she's a hot Asari and no one fucks with Aria and then one guy who fucks with and is a really mean Russian commie she totally burns with her witty quips. So cool.

You know how you earn badass cred in this game? Be Shepard or a part of his team. Don't stand there posturing back and forth while being nothing more than a disposable NPC.

I wonder if there's a persistent corpses mod out there. One of the things that annoyed me about all the ME games - I want to check out all the damage I've done while I'm looting a place after clearing out the opposition.

All the pointless time wasting mini-games are gone. What. A. Shame.

Oh hey, Turian females finally exist. I'm pretty sure that's one of those things that you should have just left alone, in hopes that the audience forgets about it.

Some cannons massacred a bunch of mooks that were stupid enough to charge into them. A bunch of mooks that I had absolutely no chance of dispatching in 30 seconds flat. That merited a lengthy cutscene. The whole Omega thing just reeks of trying too hard.

I'm sure someone on the writing staff has written a novel and a comic book and a fan-film and an erotic manga and a spinoff facebook game and a detailed sweat analysis about Aria Tloak. But you can't make me care by shoving her down my throat. You know what worked (or at least didn't annoy me)? Anderson and what's her name from Grissom academy. I'm sure they had many wonderful adventures together back in whatever spinoff media they appeared in, and I appreciate it all the more since we didn't have to hear all about it.

I can move around while on an elevator. Truly the greatest technical advancement of our time.

I think I might hit level 50 (or at least level 45) well before I get into the meat of the game proper (with the summit meeting). I'm not sure if that's much of an issue, but having the levels go up to 60 couldn't have hurt.

Charge + Nova + Nova + Shotgun solves pretty much everything.

Hah. There's a long section where Cerberus troops drop down from the upper level, but they only drop from the same location and you can get behind them. Shotgun to the back, shotgun to the head, shotgun to the back of the head. Repeat until I started to worry that I was supposed to do something else. I pity whoever decided to fight that without any tricks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Xander77 posted:

OMG, Aria is so cool (Aria is an original character, plz donut steel >:() She's even cooler then Shepard and she goes on badass adventures and she's a hot Asari and no one fucks with Aria and then one guy who fucks with and is a really mean Russian commie she totally burns with her witty quips. So cool.

I'm sure someone on the writing staff has written a novel and a comic book and a fan-film and an erotic manga and a spinoff facebook game and a detailed sweat analysis about Aria Tloak. But you can't make me care by shoving her down my throat. You know what worked (or at least didn't annoy me)? Anderson and what's her name from Grissom academy. I'm sure they had many wonderful adventures together back in whatever spinoff media they appeared in, and I appreciate it all the more since we didn't have to hear all about it.
I can't wait for you to meet Kai Leng :allears:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, Turian females finally exist. I'm pretty sure that's one of those things that you should have just left alone, in hopes that the audience forgets about it.
That was the plan, originally. The audience didn't forget about it. So they finally broke down and made one when they were making the DLCs. Unfortunately, the made her thoroughly uninteresting.

No argument there.
VVV

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 26, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lycus posted:

That was the plan, originally. The audience didn't forget about it. So they finally broke down and made one when they were making the DLCs. Unfortunately, the made her thoroughly uninteresting.

And yet still better than Aria.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nobody forces you to buy the Omega DLC, so how is Aria shoved down your throat? :psyduck:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I still feel pity for all you suckers who don't like Aria.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I never played Omega so Aria was just a completely irrelevant character to me, just another one of those background questgivers. She's nowhere near as bad as Kai Leng, who may honestly be one of the worst characters I've ever encountered in any videogame I have ever played.

Truly, he was Shepard's greatest anime.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I may like bad things but I liked most characters in their own way. Especially interesting for me was Mordin, which I actually started out disliking and grew to like over the course of 2 and 3, it made his death in ME3 especially bitter-sweet for me. Wrex was still alive and I saved the data of his student so it actually also was a good end for the Korgans.

The only main character I really think was not that well made was EDI, the whole Joker romance thing was very awkward (although I saw it coming from a mile) and it's like they forgot she was already a character before the Sexbot body thing. They just really wanted to have a sexy robot in the game and they really bent the story around that.

Oh and Kei Leng of course. For oh.. so many reasons.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Xander77 posted:

"YOU BIG STUPID JELLYFISH!"

So that Salarian guy was a Spectre? Huh.

I feel like the games haven't really done much with the Spectre thing. Like ME1 could have used a couple of Spectres to represent the Paragon / Renegade approach and to demonstrate that the galaxy has problems beyond the area Shepard operates in. You could have helped them out once in a while, and they could help you in turn. Guess that wouldn't be a very Bioware style story.

I guess there's a new rule on the citadel - nobody cares about fucks with gives a poo poo about Aria. So badass, omg.

Isn't the whole Blood Pack thing about them being Krogan? I seem to recall a big speech to that effect on Tuchanka. Why is a Vorcha running them now?

Wow, that's a shitload lot of weapons that I can buy. And apparently we've taken a step back from ME1 and I can't compare any of them in a simple manner? Seriously, this is needlessly complicated (particularly since every weapon only has a couple of upgrade slots, you'll only be carrying 2 or so, and your companions weapons don't matter).

On the other hand, the centralized buying interface on the ship is bloody brilliant. Why don't more games implement something this obvious?

I rather liked the old "here's your quest, here's the subsection of the quest you're on now, here's where you find the next guy you want to talk to" journal entries. Why the change?

"Anthropocentric bag of dicks."

Every Cerberus soldier is a Reaper slave? Is that something I was supposed to learn latter, or is the idea that once you're part husk, that's what happens, and all of IM's big "dominate them" plans are absolute bunk from the very start?

Every once in a while you just don't get the Talk icon. Annoying. So far I can't talk to the volus for his book, the drunk soldiers in Purgatory and someone else. This game is very well tested.

Whoops. Apparently making out with Thane was a poor idea. Oh well.

A new teammate appears. I either assign each of their 40+ skills points manually, or accept the auto levelup result - with no middle ground. Good design.

You know how you earn badass cred in this game? Be Shepard or a part of his team. Don't stand there posturing back and forth while being nothing more than a disposable NPC.

I wonder if there's a persistent corpses mod out there. One of the things that annoyed me about all the ME games - I want to check out all the damage I've done while I'm looting a place after clearing out the opposition.

All the pointless time wasting mini-games are gone. What. A. Shame.

Some cannons massacred a bunch of mooks that were stupid enough to charge into them. A bunch of mooks that I had absolutely no chance of dispatching in 30 seconds flat. That merited a lengthy cutscene. The whole Omega thing just reeks of trying too hard.

I can move around while on an elevator. Truly the greatest technical advancement of our time.

I think I might hit level 50 (or at least level 45) well before I get into the meat of the game proper (with the summit meeting). I'm not sure if that's much of an issue, but having the levels go up to 60 couldn't have hurt.

Charge + Nova + Nova + Shotgun solves pretty much everything.

Hah. There's a long section where Cerberus troops drop down from the upper level, but they only drop from the same location and you can get behind them. Shotgun to the back, shotgun to the head, shotgun to the back of the head. Repeat until I started to worry that I was supposed to do something else. I pity whoever decided to fight that without any tricks.

You romanced Thane? You're really going to hate Kai Leng then.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Xander77 posted:

I'm basically just shotgunning dudes on normal. Like, I could charge or use powers (Liara's singularities are nice, but my shockwaves don't really compare to their ME2 glory), but I can just blow a guys head off from across the screen. Still miss my Geth shotgun :/
You should up the difficulty to at least hardcore. You'll still cut through everything like a Thanix cannon through a Collector ship. Also you won't be lonely forever! :haw:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I thought Omega was alright. I didn't have too much of a problem with Aria, and it was nice to see a female Turian. But I guess I liked it more than other players because I liked the combat, I thought fighting in Omega was nice, and I really wanted to gently caress Cerberus' poo poo up.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 26, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Kasumi owns and I think some people hate her because she wasn't some kawaii space ninja cliche. :colbert:

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
I thing the problem with Omega that with was one of those DLC that, being shorter and with less pointless stuff, should have been part of the core game. After completing the mission, you could unlock the Omega hub and do poo poo there. But instead they went full retard and went the Aria fanboy rute.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Trast posted:

Kasumi owns and I think some people hate her because she wasn't some kawaii space ninja cliche. :colbert:

I liked Kasumi too. I was disappointed you couldn't convince her that she was safer from being caught by rejoining the Normandy and that her skills extended more than just thievery.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trast posted:

You're right it's just that she really wants to be one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Trast posted:

I like Kasumi too but she was pretty kawaii space ninja cliche.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Xander77 posted:

ME2 posted:

Shepard: "But the Blood Pack has non-Krogan members like vorcha."

Chief Scout: "Ha! The vorcha. They're just like the varren. Only they can use guns and don't crap on the floor as often. The krogan are the only real members of the Blood Pack. Anyone else is just there to soak enemy fire."

BioWare never lets details get in the way of a good sidequest.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To be fair, you do wipe out the Blood Pack high leadership when you raid them during Mordin's loyalty mission.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Codex also said the Blood Pack was a Vorcha gang at the beginning, so maybe it's a situation where the Krogan co-opted the BP and then back again.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I guess the Krogan leave the Blood pack when the Geophage is cured and fight for Wrex/Wreave and the Vorcha are left to run themselves

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I always giggle at the vorcha/varren line, probably because I more or less have the potty-humor level of an 8 year old.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
That machine gun mow-down cutscene from Omega is really weird. Like, it kind of seems tragic, in a way. If you laid some sad music over it it'd be reminiscent of a WW1 charge into machine gun fire. The way the dying guys are crawling around writhing in pain. It was supposed to be like a badass moment but I kind of felt bad. :(

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 27, 2014

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Xander77 posted:

I either assign each of their 40+ skills points manually, or accept the auto levelup result - with no middle ground. Good design.

Wait a minute, do you want an 'assign half my points' button or something? You can always undo them, if I remember correctly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still think Omega had by a decent margin the coolest looking levels in the entire game- that bit in the mining area has such an impressive scale to it, even if it's functionally the exact same as any other space where you run through shooting people along the way.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Spending skill points on squadmates really isn't that much of an issue. It's like 20 seconds worth of work if you get a new squadmate halfway through the game and it's not like you have to ponder the build for a while like in multiplayer because most of the specializations are pretty meaningless on the AI squadmates anyway.
The most important stuff is that they have as many powers available as possible because you can actually use most of those for tech / biotic combos.
Whether Ashley does 10% more weapon damage or gets 30% more shields is absolutely meaningless.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xander77 posted:

What middle ground are you hoping for, here?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, much as I'm enjoying those posts I'm confused by that. Assigning all your party members' points is fun! We all used the "reset points" machine when we got near the end of the game just so we could do it all over again. D...didn't we?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
what fuckin reset points machine?

(I used gibbed if I wanted changes)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JawKnee posted:

what fuckin reset points machine?

(I used gibbed if I wanted changes)

In the med-bay. Missed that, did ya?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lycus posted:

In the med-bay. Missed that, did ya?

Oh hah. No, just forgot about it. Probably because I gave my shep robot eyes every time in gibbed and went ahead and reset my skill points there too.

• Locked thread