Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Even before that he had a decently sized speaking part in Riddick, which puts him ahead of like every other wrestler-actor of the last ten years not named the Rock. Better than Stone Cold's parts, who is the only guy even comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Unlucky7 posted:

Any notable examples?

I do remember that he did not agree with the PG era or the way the company was going, which was his reason for leaving, but I don't remember any direct insults to the fans. Though him saying that it was a "disgrace" that Bryan got the WHC could be interpreted as a shot against the business.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

And yeah, JBL's apparently a piece of poo poo in a million other ways including arguably a rapist. So I don't get the point of that post. I wasn't calling the guy a racist, I was calling his character one. But then again "racist" is one of the nicest things I'd say about the guy.
Super late on this, but I wasn't trying to defend JBL's honor or anything, just pointing out that he's a heel. Rey's a face, so he goes on about how mexico sucks. Alberto's a heel, so mexico is awesome. His opinion shifts based on what he has to do to get under the audience's skin.

I agree 'racism as heel heat' is, at best, kind of dated.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Onmi posted:

I do remember that he did not agree with the PG era or the way the company was going, which was his reason for leaving, but I don't remember any direct insults to the fans. Though him saying that it was a "disgrace" that Bryan got the WHC could be interpreted as a shot against the business.
There was also that tweet (which he since deleted) before his return:

quote:

Seems 2 me that some C level stars in a B level star era have bought into their own hype. Don't turn a work into a shoot. #realitycheck

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Onmi posted:

He hated the way Bryan was booked to win the WHC, which was totally fair considering Bryan was on a losing streak for months then treated as an undeserving loser when he finally won the belt. Batista asked for the opportunity to work with D-Bry back when he was on NXT, he doesn't hate the guy.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Perigryn posted:

There was also that tweet (which he since deleted) before his return:

Which was rich, considering he was on top during a period that wasn't exactly a golden age

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm watching WrestleMania 1, and I noticed Pat Patterson was the ref in the main event. Was he an agent yet, or just a ref by that point?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

gypsyshred posted:

I'm watching WrestleMania 1, and I noticed Pat Patterson was the ref in the main event. Was he an agent yet, or just a ref by that point?

He was a special ref for the main event, not a regular ref. And yes, I think he was working backstage then.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

DeathChicken posted:

Even before that he had a decently sized speaking part in Riddick, which puts him ahead of like every other wrestler-actor of the last ten years not named the Rock. Better than Stone Cold's parts, who is the only guy even comparable.

I'd compare Batista's role in Riddick to Stone Cold's in the first Expendables.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DeathChicken posted:

Stone Cold had a major role in the Expendables which is a far better movie than anything Batista has ever done, and also better than 75% of the Rock's movies.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In which he had like two lines.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Stone Cold had a major role in the Expendables which is a far better movie than anything Batista has ever done, and also better than 75% of the Rock's movies.

Unless Riddick is that horrible, this is untrue on both counts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Riddick video game was okay.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The first one was really good, the 2nd was one was OK.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Didn't he have a major role in the Man with Iron Fists?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Didn't he have a major role in the Man with Iron Fists?

The Man with the Iron Fists was a loving awful RZA vanity project.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Any special reason why most of WCW's Great American Bash shows were held in Baltimore?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

emjayo posted:

Any special reason why most of WCW's Great American Bash shows were held in Baltimore?

WCW considered Baltimore to be a key northern area in terms of hosting events, for whatever reason. WWF also ran quite a lot of events at the Baltimore Arena.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If we're talking about who's had a successful movie career and who hasn't, quality isn't important. The fact that Expendables was a big success and Man with the Iron Fists barely broke even at the box office is more important.

Of note is that the RZA has appeared in two movies with professional wrestlers, and he still manages to be the worst actor in both of them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrBling posted:

WCW considered Baltimore to be a key northern area in terms of hosting events, for whatever reason.

Baltimore's a pretty central mid-Atlantic hub. DC / NoVA are only an hour south, Philadelphia is about two hours at most by car (and an hour by Amtrak), and it's pretty accessible to Delaware, too.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Halloween Jack posted:

If we're talking about who's had a successful movie career and who hasn't, quality isn't important. The fact that Expendables was a big success and Man with the Iron Fists barely broke even at the box office is more important.

Yes, but Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be much bigger. It's a good role for him, he has to look big and mean and, probably only has a few lines. I completely forgot Austin was even in Expendables.

To add a question, what's up with Batista's puffy head? Is that from HGH?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It is because he has no skull.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Endless Mike posted:

It is because he has no skull.

He sold it for cocaine in 2007.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Man with the Iron Fists was a loving awful RZA vanity project.

Still probably better than this.

Whats hosed up about this poster is that RVD is the lead.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
He's not even in it that much. Like 10-15 min at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA6RlOtoT7U

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Corzaa posted:

Still probably better than this.

Whats hosed up about this poster is that RVD is the lead.

Rob's educated feet disappeared :smith:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Writer Cath posted:

Rob's educated feet disappeared :smith:
He's Dave's Stand "Up In Smoke".

Reverend Joshua
Jul 1, 2007
My hypocrisy knows no bounds
Fallen Rib
Listening to William Regal on Austin's podcast, Savage vs. Steamboat at WM 3 comes up and vague references are made by both Regal and Austin to to something behind the scenes about the match. Whatever it was soured Regal's opinion of the match and both take hushed, somber tones that suggest something particularly horrifying happened. Any idea what they're referring to? I don't recall hearing anything about this and I don't know if i'm just drawing a blank on something I already know or what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reverend Joshua posted:

Listening to William Regal on Austin's podcast, Savage vs. Steamboat at WM 3 comes up and vague references are made by both Regal and Austin to to something behind the scenes about the match. Whatever it was soured Regal's opinion of the match and both take hushed, somber tones that suggest something particularly horrifying happened. Any idea what they're referring to? I don't recall hearing anything about this and I don't know if i'm just drawing a blank on something I already know or what?
Savage planned out his matches ahead of time, which makes it less impressive than if they called it in the ring. Steamboat is far more proud of his feud with Flair for this reason. It's really only an issue from an inside baseball stance. If you're a fan, it shouldn't matter as long as the match is good, which it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Perigryn posted:

He's not even in it that much. Like 10-15 min at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA6RlOtoT7U

God... Rob can't even throw a good fake punch in a movie.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

How exactly is the Hell's Gate submission supposed to work? It looks like a triangle choke that's not actually choking the victim because Undertaker isn't pulling on his foot with his hand to cinch it in. Am I just overthinking this?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Max Overthruster posted:

How exactly is the Hell's Gate submission supposed to work? It looks like a triangle choke that's not actually choking the victim because Undertaker isn't pulling on his foot with his hand to cinch it in. Am I just overthinking this?

It's supposed to be a gogoplata, not a triangle choke.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Max Overthruster posted:

It's a gogoplata that's fudged so he doesn't actually choke the guy, but the idea is he's pressing his shin into the guy's throat while using his hand on their head to keep it locked, I believe.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Endless Mike posted:

Savage planned out his matches ahead of time, which makes it less impressive than if they called it in the ring. Steamboat is far more proud of his feud with Flair for this reason. It's really only an issue from an inside baseball stance. If you're a fan, it shouldn't matter as long as the match is good, which it is.

Guys like Regal see wrestling as an art or a craft, not a choreographed performance.

I think the goon consensus is that good matches are good, regardless of method. Besides, some guys who are "planners" (Savage, DDP, Hall) have pretty nice careers because of their hard work. What's wrong with that?

I personally think that, for a WrestleMania-level show, you should both put in some planning and creativity, and work your rear end off.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gaz-L posted:

It's a gogoplata that's fudged so he doesn't actually choke the guy, but the idea is he's pressing his shin into the guy's throat while using his hand on their head to keep it locked, I believe.

Although there's the fact he injured a number of wrestlers' "larnyx" with that hold.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Red posted:

Guys like Regal see wrestling as an art or a craft, not a choreographed performance.

I think the goon consensus is that good matches are good, regardless of method. Besides, some guys who are "planners" (Savage, DDP, Hall) have pretty nice careers because of their hard work. What's wrong with that?

I look at wrestling as basically an athletic form of acting or performance art, and it's a comparison I'll continue to make until WWE starts just letting people beat each other to death in the ring (So basically, when the Ryback, Big E, Erick Rowan, and Aksana Fatal Fourway gets booked, with special guest referee Kurt Angle). Looking down on someone for planning out their matches instead of calling in the ring is basically like looking down on an actor for memorizing a script instead of walking out night of and ad libbing. Sure, ad lib can be more fun especially if the guy's good at it, but it takes more dedication and work to actually know what and how you're supposed to say something before you're on center stage.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Shima Honnou posted:

I look at wrestling as basically an athletic form of acting or performance art, and it's a comparison I'll continue to make until WWE starts just letting people beat each other to death in the ring (So basically, when the Ryback, Big E, Erick Rowan, and Aksana Fatal Fourway gets booked, with special guest referee Kurt Angle). Looking down on someone for planning out their matches instead of calling in the ring is basically like looking down on an actor for memorizing a script instead of walking out night of and ad libbing. Sure, ad lib can be more fun especially if the guy's good at it, but it takes more dedication and work to actually know what and how you're supposed to say something before you're on center stage.

There is a whole school of thought in comedy that praises improv and decries scripted stuff. If we're making comparisons, it'd be unfair to leave that one out.

Your preference is your preference, man, and being part of the culture and being up there yourself is always going to influence that. As an audience member, I don't care as long as I'm entertained, but performers are going to have a whole different outlook because they aren't talking entertainment, they are talking shop.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I remembered something I saw in an interview and looked it up on Wikipedia -

"The seven-minute fight at the end of the film took nearly four months to shoot. Jackie Chan indicated that one day's filming typically produces three seconds of usable film."

That's referring to the fight scene at the end of Drunken Master II/Legend of Drunken Master, at which point Jackie Chan had been doing movie fight scenes for over thirty years. When you look at it from that perspective, it's kind of amazing that wrestlers can have what are essentially stylized fight scenes done entirely on the fly with no editing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lucha isn't exactly this forum's forté, but can anyone recommend a great El Hijo Del Santo match? He just retired and Dave had this to day about him:

quote:

While not having the charisma of his father, we was a far better wrestler. Of the true top ten or top 20 wrestlers of all-time, Santo was by far the most successful son both as a worker and a drawing card.

I had no idea his work was that highly regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Thauros posted:

Lucha isn't exactly this forum's forté, but can anyone recommend a great El Hijo Del Santo match? He just retired and Dave had this to day about him:

I had no idea his work was that highly regarded.

One of the my favorite matches of all-time; Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr vs. Octagon and EHDS.