Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I like it all except for the parallelograms

Me too. Honestly the 'line' display of shield/hp on the party window is really good. This version is obviously an improvement but I really like how they handled that aspect.

Pretty much every good UI mod abandons the whole 'this is red because HP=blood' and 'this part is made of metal because that's awesome' design principles in favor of something a bit more usable. This looks a lot more like the latter.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Wow, that will be much easier on the eyes as I quest spam my way to 50!

sarcasm aside, it actually is a huge improvement

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
I just hope they improve the quest log because that poo poo was annoying to navigate.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I like the fact that you can choose to hide stuff when your not in combat, its a massive improvement I'll be interested in seeing how the quest text is displayed hopefully its a bit more readable now

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I have the worst luck with getting weekend keys from sites :(

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

drat, these weekend keys are going super quick.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

6 hours later, NCSoft's account management page is still down so I can't see if the key I got from a foreign site will work for me here in the US.

edit: if it doesn't work, I'll have to hope I'm one of the lucky 1,000 people to get a key from MMORPG.com. There's over 4,400 posts in the thread that they'll pick winners from with a little under an hour until they close the thread.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 26, 2014

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

ruffz posted:

6 hours later, NCSoft's account management page is still down so I can't see if the key I got from a foreign site will work for me here in the US.

edit: if it doesn't work, I'll have to hope I'm one of the lucky 1,000 people to get a key from MMORPG.com. There's over 4,400 posts in the thread that they'll pick winners from with a little under an hour until they close the thread.

Stupid maintenance. I've been refreshing the same page all day.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
:qq:

Dekaar
Mar 31, 2012

Wow the new UI preview is a massive improvement. Also, there hasn't been anything on the US Wildstar site about weekend keys yet? Anyone know if there will be as I missed all the ones on the UK/EU site as I don't use that one.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Dekaar posted:

Wow the new UI preview is a massive improvement. Also, there hasn't been anything on the US Wildstar site about weekend keys yet? Anyone know if there will be as I missed all the ones on the UK/EU site as I don't use that one.

There was a thing on MMORPG.com where you had to post in a thread for a chance at one of 1,000 keys and they ended with like 4,600 replies when it closed at 4 EST. I got a key from a Swedish gaming site this morning but haven't been able to find out if I can use it yet thanks to account management being down the entire day. Other than that I haven't heard of any other giveaways today.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
drat registered for that site an no keys :( No giveaway on eurogamer either, they always have them things. Maybe next time!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I just got an email from MMORPG.com saying I won a key. I may have an extra one depending on whether or not the key I got from that Swedish site is usable in the US.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

I did the mmorpg.com thing too, but had no luck.

I really wanted to see what the game is like so far, oh well.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

ruffz posted:

I just got an email from MMORPG.com saying I won a key. I may have an extra one depending on whether or not the key I got from that Swedish site is usable in the US.

Is it too early to call dibs just in case? I'm EU by the way

TERRIBLE SHITLORD fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2014

Dekaar
Mar 31, 2012

ruffz posted:

I bet a lot of people now have double keys after doing much the same thing so hopefully there will be some extras to throw about.

I don't think the keys you get from any EU/UK site will be any different from the MMORPG ones though, they will just give x keys to each site and thats that.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Kevlar Beard posted:

I did the mmorpg.com thing too, but had no luck.

I really wanted to see what the game is like so far, oh well.

You might be happier to see it after they have updated the UI, buffed some of the classes and fixed town NPCs being 20 feet in the air/buried under ground!

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

Carecat posted:

You might be happier to see it after they have updated the UI, buffed some of the classes and fixed town NPCs being 20 feet in the air/buried under ground!

Yeah the current UI is awful. The new one coming up is how I used to mod my WoW UI, so I'm pretty happy about that!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Everything about the quest UI is gonna be the same though, right? Because that needs hella fixins.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

If they'd stop all the drat window popups, that would take away almost all of the annoyances that are left for me.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
For those waiting to use their beta keys but are stymied by the Wildstar Beta site being down for maintenance, I'd try logging into your NCsoft accounts by going to the main NCsoft site, or one of sites of their other titles. I was able to log in, go into my NCsoft account and apply my wildstar beta code.

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.
Was able to score one of the MMORPG.com keys, so I will be joining you guys this weekend.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Carecat posted:

...fixed town NPCs being 20 feet in the air/buried under ground!

While this is an annoying bug, it also has an easy fix: relog. It's a client-side bug that fixes when you logout and back in.

PS. If you missed out on the keys there will be a lot more available tomorrow. Keep an eye out.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

So what's the consensus on this game so far? I was mildly interested in Elder Scrolls Online, but as soon as I started looking into it, I saw nothing but hate.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

So what's the consensus on this game so far? I was mildly interested in Elder Scrolls Online, but as soon as I started looking into it, I saw nothing but hate.

Lots of promise, but bogged down with tedious questing and overly long time to kill. lovely UI, but that's fixed for the most part in an internal build. Quest presentation and text could use a do over as well.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

It's basically just vanilla wow with different class mechanics that are completely weighed down by the time it takes to kill mobs and an ultra boring quest log.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
4 hours of questing today. I got 1 level. Gah.

Dekaar
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah the game is so bad people are buying Beta keys and for every weekend key giveaway, the keys disappear within minutes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dekaar posted:

Yeah the game is so bad people are buying Beta keys and for every weekend key giveaway, the keys disappear within minutes.

There's a massive difference between hype and the actual game.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Dekaar posted:

You haven't noticed the trend of people frothing at the mouth willing to sell their children to play, finally getting in and then becoming very meh about the game? I know I personally overhyped the game to myself and was disappointed when I finally got to play it.

That all said it's still probably a day 1 purchase for me if they can make it not run like ball sack on my super computer and add font text I can actually read at 2560x1600.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dekaar posted:

This MMO is going to be the one guys, I can feel it in my bones!

Dekaar
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah I played last weekends beta and aside from the horrible UI (which looks like its being fixed) I really enjoyed it. Granted the difference between playing certain classes can make it a great experience or a godawful one, but this is stuff that can/will be fixed I assume.

I'll be buying it myself when its released anyway.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

This MMO is going to be the one guys, I can feel it in my bones!

I think it's the game I want to idle in for the rest of my life. Hold me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
This MMO is much better than all other MMOs I have played which is to say it is still an MMO. But if you want an MMO this is probably the MMO for your MMO needs.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
We need to have some kind of dead pool for which one of the hypelords in this thread is going to off themselves first.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ItBurns posted:

We need to have some kind of dead pool for which one of the hypelords in this thread is going to off themselves first.

It'd be easier to set up a pool to see who actually stays after the 1st month. :v:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Baldbeard posted:

I burned out on WoW before I burned out on MMO's. If I had burned out on MMO's by now, Wildstar would be irrelevant. But it turns out I was just waiting for a new MMO experience that I thought was pretty much or more competently made, in sum, than WoW was. Which is something the gaming world has not delivered to me yet. My other experiences all came up very short, including disaster stints in things like SWTOR.

But Wildstar is definitely scratching the itch. I will play it!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

My suggestion would be to play both betas for yourself if you have the opportunity, rather than just taking the word of other people. There's no obligation to pay a dime when participating in a beta, so there's nothing to lose but your time. Goons are pretty negative about Elder Scrolls, however that doesn't reflect the views of the MMO community in general. The people that have a negative experience are always going to be louder than the ones that don't.

ESO is looking like it'll have very good PvP and sounds as though it'll have a lot for people to do at the level cap, and Wildstar has its own strengths as well. I've been searching for years to find a game that satisfies my craving for the magic of vanilla WoW, and Wildstar feels like it has the best chance of any game yet. It's a little rough around the edges since it's probably at least 2 or 3 months behind ESO in its development, however if they polish the combat/questing to make it less of a slog, improve the quest log and get rid of annoying popup boxes then they're going to potentially have a great game.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Wet Fifty posted:

4 hours of questing today. I got 1 level. Gah.

I think it's the class TTK and the number of people in an area that can turn this game from ok to a drag. Playing a stalker and it's not too busy? Great. Playing an engineer and it's packed? :suicide:

Having a crap time killing mobs gets you stuck up on the excessively long bear killing quests. Wildstar quest designers: More group events. They were fun in Rift, Guild Wars 2 did them better, except for balance. Why is there maybe one a zone here?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Randomly woke up and checked pcgamer, and they had just opened up another key giveaway. I'll see you this weekend, Wildstar goons.

• Locked thread