Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

So I've finally got a mod I've been working on mostly finished, need to test it in a playthrough still but I may release it as is; at this point the only thing I'm missing for a first release is more customization options.

Basically it's a combination no-death mod and dark souls-lite (inspiration from the mod I linked a few months ago). Quick summary, when you 'die' you get moved back to a 'checkpoint' which is the last bed or fire source (this isn't customizable, though I think it should be, thoughts?) you were near by at low health. Depending on what killed you different things happen, if it's a guard you get sent to jail, if it's a humanoid they steal 20% of your gold (which you can get back, should the % be configurable?) Anything else you catch a disease. More varied penalties would probably be future additions.

The other main feature of the mod is it disables saving unless you're near a checkpoint or in a city / player home.

Any thoughts on what if anything else should be configurable? Or ideas for future releases? Would people want it now or after there are more options?
This sounds incredible and I'm really quite excited to see what it's like. What are you defining "fire source" as?

Also, losing skill progress on each death would be a neat incentive to not die. I do like the gold thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quift
May 11, 2012
a thalmor follower that autogenerates quests to murder talos worshippers, vampires and bribe bandits?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quift posted:

a thalmor follower that autogenerates quests to murder talos worshippers, vampires and bribe bandits?
How about a Dragon Priest follower?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Mr. Crow posted:

So I've finally got a mod I've been working on mostly finished, need to test it in a playthrough still but I may release it as is; at this point the only thing I'm missing for a first release is more customization options.

Basically it's a combination no-death mod and dark souls-lite (inspiration from the mod I linked a few months ago). Quick summary, when you 'die' you get moved back to a 'checkpoint' which is the last bed or fire source (this isn't customizable, though I think it should be, thoughts?) you were near by at low health. Depending on what killed you different things happen, if it's a guard you get sent to jail, if it's a humanoid they steal 20% of your gold (which you can get back, should the % be configurable?) Anything else you catch a disease. More varied penalties would probably be future additions.

The other main feature of the mod is it disables saving unless you're near a checkpoint or in a city / player home.

Any thoughts on what if anything else should be configurable? Or ideas for future releases? Would people want it now or after there are more options?

I am playing with a mod like this called "No Death Mod"

You can set it to do several things when you die:

Spawn at specific temple (Somebody found you and helped)
Spawn at nearest temple
Spawn at random forest (Bandits knocked you out and dragged you away)
Spawn nearest forest (Nobody did anything with you)

Penalties include:

Lose everything
Lose some gold
Have all gold stolen and all items stolen (The location of these items can be discovered in Riften and will start a mini quest to get them back)

Options Include:

Not Essential
Set knockout hp (If non essential what threshold causes knockout, if gone past the threshold and past 0 health then it is game over)
Essential (you can still set knockout hp, but your game will not end if gone well past the threshold)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

joats posted:

You know that mod always made me feel like the only real psycho in Skyrim, bandits knock you out and take your stuff but you just straight up murder them.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Kilroy posted:

I have an HMZ-T2 that I've farted around Skyrim with, but decided to stick with a 3-D monitor.

Are you able to get ENB working in 3D? I haven't tried but I assume you can't unless you give up the custom d3d9.dll for helixmod fixes - not worth it IMO.

No, ENBs dont work as the rift still needs that different d3d9.dll and you have to disable all shadows which makes it look even more like poo poo. That and the "screen door" effect from the Rift's screen and lens is just bad.

I tried playing with the lens off and in non-stereoscopic view just using the head tracking and a distorted FOV and that was a bit better. But I agree that the loss of ENB+shadows is definitely not a worthy tradeoff for head tracking and pseudo VR.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Crazy Ted posted:

This is the 900th time I have sought a good death. Will you give me a good death?

*two hits*

*Draugr Lord is dead*

You did not give me a good death.

I will make it my mission to take him to Sovngard at the end with me.

"... Eh, close enough."

Berke Negri posted:

Ondolamar the justicar at Markath who hires you to track down talos worshippers may be another good one. There's like, zero thalmor followers and few evil ones.

I wonder if it's possible to have a FONV style system where a follower will leave if you get too good or too evil.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

There's no player morality system but maybe you could do conditional checks? Like if you side with stormcloaks all hypothetical thalmor won't become followers anymore. Or like join the thieves guild then just disable Mjoll from the follower faction.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mustang posted:

I'm using MO for my mods and I can't figure out how to use the texture optimizer with all my texture mods being done through MO. It wants me to direct it to my skyrim/data/textures folder but I don't have one since I haven't changed the skyrim root folder at all.

Direct it to run on your Mod Organizer/Skyrim/Mods folder. You'll get errors in the log as it runs whenever it looks at a non dds file, but it'll get the job done.

You could run it through MO, but in this specific case I actually advise against it. If you do, It will move every texture out of its specific mod directory and into your overwrite directory. I had to redownload a bunch of mods for this reason.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question, does the newest SKSE version (the one on the site) already come with the memory patch/ctd fix? The one you had to activate on the skse.ini with the "offer newborn" line.

I'm kinda running out of ideas on what's causing my game to crap itself, but I'm starting to think I have too many texture packs running and I'm hitting the memory cap or something =/

Sorry to quote myself, but any input on this (or the load order I posted a bit ago?). v:shobon:v

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sorry to quote myself, but any input on this (or the load order I posted a bit ago?). v:shobon:v

yes it even says it on the whatsnew

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yes it does. Have you tried running SMIM alongside your Skyrim install to see your memory management?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Agents are GO! posted:

Direct it to run on your Mod Organizer/Skyrim/Mods folder. You'll get errors in the log as it runs whenever it looks at a non dds file, but it'll get the job done.

You could run it through MO, but in this specific case I actually advise against it. If you do, It will move every texture out of its specific mod directory and into your overwrite directory. I had to redownload a bunch of mods for this reason.

It actually seems to have gotten better about doing that on the newer versions. If nothing else, tweaking a .esp file in Tes5Edit doesn't require me to move the file back to the specific mod folder.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Agents are GO! posted:

Thanks this worked perfectly.

I've ran into an issue outside of Whiterun. Something in a small area outside of Whiterun causes my PC to drop to like 2 FPS whenever I look at that spot. I can look anywhere else it plays perfectly smooth.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mortimer posted:

yes it even says it on the whatsnew

Scyantific posted:

Yes it does. Have you tried running SMIM alongside your Skyrim install to see your memory management?

Missed it completely, sorry.

I ran it alongside Skyrim Performance Monitor for like an hour today, no crashes, my VRAM usage shot to 1998mb maximum (2gb vram), and my system memory to 880 maximum. No crashes on that session, really no idea what's going on anymore. I'll play a bit more and see if something pops up.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I'm really liking this Leaf Rest player home mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33661/
Feels cosier than the hearthfire homes, is nicely situated in Riverwood which is the best town anyway, has all the crafting facilities you need and has a few little bonuses without feeling completely overpowered like some home mods. Slightly customisable.
I would prefer if you had to buy/unlock it first but I always end up super rich in Skyrim anyway on every playthrough so I guess it makes no real difference in the long run.

The linked auto-sorting storage containers are particularly nice imo.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Griever posted:

I'm really liking this Leaf Rest player home mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33661/
Feels cosier than the hearthfire homes, is nicely situated in Riverwood which is the best town anyway, has all the crafting facilities you need and has a few little bonuses without feeling completely overpowered like some home mods. Slightly customisable.
I would prefer if you had to buy/unlock it first but I always end up super rich in Skyrim anyway on every playthrough so I guess it makes no real difference in the long run.

The linked auto-sorting storage containers are particularly nice imo.

Nice! I was just about to ask for suggestions for player homes. :) I've been using this one for a really long time, due in large part to being spoiled by the auto-sorting chests:

Heimsgaror

But as I just installed a bunch of new mods and started a fresh character I wanted to get away from always using it and live somewhere new. Anyone else have any favourite player homes?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Technogeek posted:

It actually seems to have gotten better about doing that on the newer versions. If nothing else, tweaking a .esp file in Tes5Edit doesn't require me to move the file back to the specific mod folder.

I still have to move the textures directory back to Automatic Variants every time I run SUM.

Anyhow, in Lootification news, I am a loving liar. I thought I had a Lootification entry for WEAPONIZER, and I did not. I have since rectified this! In addition, I edited the esp file: Weaponizer has a really loving annoying bugged entry for the "Draugr Dagger." Its a neat looking, if somewhat badly modeled, weapon, which is added to the Draugr Weapon levelled lists.

That's not the problem.

The problem is that Draugr can't loving use daggers. They lack the animations for it. This leads to Draugr simply running up and doing an "Ooooo I'm spooky" dance and not attacking or anything (They stick in their spellcasting animation, but that's my interpretation.) Now a bit of googling shows that this is a known problem, which Ket posted he was going to fix in the next update.

A year and a half ago.

So anyhow, I simply removed the Draugr Dagger from the levelled list. It's still a neat dagger, and my Lootification distributes it as Elven. Here's the lootification and the edited esp file (you'll still need the original mod, just replace the esp with this one. You'll need to rebuild your Merged/Bashed patch.)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 27, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

joats posted:

You can set it to do several things when you die:

Spawn at specific temple (Somebody found you and helped)
Spawn at nearest temple
Spawn at random forest (Bandits knocked you out and dragged you away)
Spawn nearest forest (Nobody did anything with you)

Penalties include:

Lose everything
Lose some gold
Have all gold stolen and all items stolen (The location of these items can be discovered in Riften and will start a mini quest to get them back)

Options Include:

Not Essential
Set knockout hp (If non essential what threshold causes knockout, if gone past the threshold and past 0 health then it is game over)
Essential (you can still set knockout hp, but your game will not end if gone well past the threshold)

Yea I was aware of that. It's the closest thing to what I was looking for but I don't like silent dialog (I love Morrowind and wouold prefer a system like that, but it's just out of place in Skyrim), didn't really like the Far Cry system he was mimicking (random people help you or whatever) and didn't like the HP buffer thing.

Different strokes for different folks, that's what modding is all about.

Also the limited-save thing. I abuse saving as much as the next guy so I like being able to remove it entirely, it gives a purpose to the whole Jailing / Bounty system for once.

I'll put all the customization I planned on in place before release version 1.0, based on the comments; probably tonight.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'd like to note that I am (slowly) working on a new mod of my own: ObliviLoot!

My first "Open World" game was Oblivion, and I still love that game. One of the things I don't like about Skyrim is how enemies basically top-out at Steel Plate and you never get to see any of these cool armors on another character. Also, while I love crafting, I hate how you'll never find anything better than what you can craft.

ObliviLoot will be a leveled list overhaul that seeks to rectify these issues I have. I plan to add new equipment tiers for all enemies, and to give enemies a greater chance of having Enchanted equipment. (I also plan to improve the rewards you get for becoming thane and such.)

I also plan to add (rare, high-level) enchanted gear that's better than you can create.

Also planned is to give Bandit mages their own levelled lists.

If you use NPC Enchant Fix, this will probably make your game a bit more dangerous, as enemies will actually benefit from a lot of enchantments.

If you're interested in this mod, or just want to be my steam friend, Send me a Friend Request!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd like to note that I am (slowly) working on a new mod of my own: ObliviLoot!

My first "Open World" game was Oblivion, and I still love that game. One of the things I don't like about Skyrim is how enemies basically top-out at Steel Plate and you never get to see any of these cool armors on another character. Also, while I love crafting, I hate how you'll never find anything better than what you can craft.

ObliviLoot will be a leveled list overhaul that seeks to rectify these issues I have. I plan to add new equipment tiers for all enemies, and to give enemies a greater chance of having Enchanted equipment. (I also plan to improve the rewards you get for becoming thane and such.)

I also plan to add (rare, high-level) enchanted gear that's better than you can create.

Also planned is to give Bandit mages their own levelled lists.

If you use NPC Enchant Fix, this will probably make your game a bit more dangerous, as enemies will actually benefit from a lot of enchantments.

If you're interested in this mod, or just want to be my steam friend, Send me a Friend Request!

1. is it compatible with morrowloot
2. are you going to give bandits glass and daedric armor, if not that is not an authentic oblivion experience :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mortimer posted:

1. is it compatible with morrowloot
2. are you going to give bandits glass and daedric armor, if not that is not an authentic oblivion experience :colbert:

1. Most likely, you'll just place mine after so my leveled lists overrule Morroloot.
2. Yes. :smug:

This is going to be explicitly designed to run with Lootification. (As an aside, my LLI.esp just cracked 40megs.)

If I had a lot more skill and ambition, what I'd love to do would be to make it so it wasn't always just "bandits" you were fighting. I'd add a bunch of factions that have every reason to have good gear, like Carmonna Tong cells and Argonian Invasion Deserters. Not just "Bandits."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'm thinking of installing Dovahkiin Hideout just so I can have an easy way of traveling between each of the vanilla houses.

After all, the game takes place in a world where one man became the living embodiment of a god, so why the hell can't this be possible? :v:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Berke Negri posted:

I've been mulling what other NPCs could be made into followers. One shortcoming is I have no idea what vanilla unused dialog is out there to make it worthwhile. One that jumps to mind is Brand-Shei the embarrassing "last" of the Telvanni.

That or some npcs representing some of the under represented races. There's very little beastfolk followers, and I think no? Altmer. Theres like three redguards or something and only a handful Britons.

It's tricky. From a technical perspective I look for NPCs that aren't already deeply involved in some other quest - if they are following you it can cause shenanigans if they suddenly need to be somewhere or do something, so as few as possible is always better. If an NPC is the end beneficiary of a quest, even better - they might already have the relationship change needed to recruit them included, they just need to have their NPC records adjusted to make them into a worthwhile follower.

Then, from a contextual perspective I try to justify it in terms of push and pull - what factors would push them from their current lives to adventuring with a potentially crazy dovahkiin? For someone like, say, Svana Far-Shield, that's easy - she's young, idealistic, and has a crappy job with an aunt who hates her, or Ingun Black-Briar, who even more or less tells you in conversation that she hopes to be an assassin. It makes less sense with someone like Nivenor, who is settled into her civilian life pretty comfortably, and probably thinks swords are icky.

Nazeem I made as an exception to the latter perspective simply because it was too good an oppurtunity to pass up - his voicetype had a lot of useable stuff, and I was even able to frame a potential 'backstory' to him which I still might hammer out: namely, that he was an Imperial ranger before he settled down in Whiterun.

Crazy Ted posted:

Temba Wide-Arm. And she gets a mace that gives her x1.5 damage against bears.

Also, that old Orc who is looking for a good death.

Yes! One of my first NPC-to-follower mods I made was to make Temba into a follower. I always give her the Bear armor from Immersive Armors. She doesn't make commentary, though, aside from vistas and dungeon entrances, so I've yet to release it. I think an axe would be more in keeping with her character - she is used to wielding one, after all.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 27, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

This is amazing, but now I have to wonder: Is there any mod that adds new dialogue to the existing followers to make them more interesting and give them more personality? Would it be difficult to make such a mod?

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

The Mad Archivist posted:

Then, from a contextual perspective I try to justify it in terms of push and pull - what factors would push them from their current lives to adventuring with a potentially crazy dovahkiin?
I always thought it was weird that Erdi wasn't a follower considering she outright stated she wanted to be one. Might be a good option if you're looking for another case.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Agents are GO! posted:

I still have to move the textures directory back to Automatic Variants every time I run SUM.

How does one go about doing this? I still can't get AV to work and have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Overemotional Robot posted:

How does one go about doing this? I still can't get AV to work and have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

How is it failing? Failing to run, failing to appear in game?

You do know you have to download the AV packs seperately from the patcher itself, right?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Yeah, sorry, didn't specify. I've got the AV packs, I've got them in the right places, unzipped, etc. I've ran the patcher and everything, but the only thing I've been able to see with the new skins have been draugr.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Deltasquid posted:

This is amazing, but now I have to wonder: Is there any mod that adds new dialogue to the existing followers to make them more interesting and give them more personality? Would it be difficult to make such a mod?

The good news is that's what I have been working on in the downtime when I was working on Nazeem; the bad news is that I've been having mixed success.

There is a lot of idle commentary that could be unlocked right away already: unique comments made by Erandur, Mjoll, and some of the vanilla followers is locked behind condition checks unique to their NPC record. For some of the comments, it makes sense, because it deals with their backstory, but general stuff could just as easily be said by any other follower sharing the voicetype. That's how Anska works, by switching the checks on general norddish comments from Mjoll to anyone in the voicetype who is currently a follower.

The annoying bit is that the majority of idle commentary would still mainly apply to the male followers; Mjoll and Jenassa's voicetype are the only female follower voicetypes that would have some. Consequently, that means I have to mine the existing dialog clips for comments for them to say.

The bad news is that I haven't found all that much, so far, for some of the vanilla female voicetypes to say - I've checked the -commander, -sultry, and am in the process of checking -eventoned, and it's been slim pickings.

So I still think I will do a mod to expand the range of comments made by vanilla follower voicetypes, but I just feel like warning you now that not every voicetype was made equal, so some are just necessarily going to have more to say than others. I will probably roll it into a compilation that includes the three followers I've made so far.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
These extra animations that went up recently add a nice touch -- opening doors and containers, putting on armor, crouching to loot bodies and so on. They force you to sheathe your weapon so no more looting the guy you just killed while his buddies patiently wait. Goes real well with immersive first person.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51554/

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Saint Sputnik posted:

They force you to sheathe your weapon so no more looting the guy you just killed while his buddies patiently wait

Oh man, this is going to get me killed like a dozen times until I retrain myself to not do that. It's going to be worse than before SkyUI finally standardized loot/deposit controls for containers.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Mad Archivist posted:

KICKASS FOLLOWER MODS

Added your follower mods to the OP while I was doing some cleanup and updating.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Slayerjerman posted:

No, ENBs dont work as the rift still needs that different d3d9.dll and you have to disable all shadows which makes it look even more like poo poo. That and the "screen door" effect from the Rift's screen and lens is just bad.

I tried playing with the lens off and in non-stereoscopic view just using the head tracking and a distorted FOV and that was a bit better. But I agree that the loss of ENB+shadows is definitely not a worthy tradeoff for head tracking and pseudo VR.

You shouldn't need to disable shadows if you use the helixmod fix for Skyrim. It fixes water as well. Use it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that'll let me kill bandit chiefs, seize control of their crews, and go gently caress up a city?

Cuz that would be really cool.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Overemotional Robot posted:

Yeah, sorry, didn't specify. I've got the AV packs, I've got them in the right places, unzipped, etc. I've ran the patcher and everything, but the only thing I've been able to see with the new skins have been draugr.

Weird. Maybe zip up your Automatic Variants.esp and post it. I'll take a look at it.

Now one thing I'd like to note is that there is one AV pack that's just Draugr. You sure that's not the only one you have? When you run the patcher, it should let you browse all the AV packs you have installed.

Also: Did you run the patcher through MO (If you're using MO.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Does anyone have experience with the Civil War Overhaul? I made it as far as the battle of whiterun but A) holy poo poo are the stormcloaks tough and B) I have no clue what the victory conditions are. I can be cutting down people left and right and I still lose the field and I have no clue what the deal is. Is there someone I am supposed to kill or destroy to make them retreat?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Civil War Overhaul? I made it as far as the battle of whiterun but A) holy poo poo are the stormcloaks tough and B) I have no clue what the victory conditions are. I can be cutting down people left and right and I still lose the field and I have no clue what the deal is. Is there someone I am supposed to kill or destroy to make them retreat?

It's poo poo. I abandoned my last playthrough because it made my game so unstable. I had a shitload of glitches with it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Are the Duke Patrick combat mods for oblivion and skyrim worth it? They look nice but a little over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Agents are GO! posted:

It's poo poo. I abandoned my last playthrough because it made my game so unstable. I had a shitload of glitches with it.

That sucks. I'm all for restoring cut content and the civil war is pretty plain in the vanilla game and want to give this a go but it's not helping that the mod author appears to be a little poo poo.

Dragon Combat Overhaul seems to be pretty good so far though.

• Locked thread