Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I really wish having two of the same cannons on a fencer didn't just up the rate of fire. It's sort of useless as the recoil is usually bad enough that you haven't had time to re-target before the next shot is off. In which case you may as well have only brought one gun. I'd really rather just pop off two shells. I guess the extra ammo is nice, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I made some things about things I like doing in EDF.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Air Raider is my new favorite implementation of a wizard/support class ever. I CAST SUMMON TANK!

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Using Satellite Blaster B on a Deroy makes him wig the gently caress out.

Also, a totally pro move is to rescue teammates from the jaws of a red ant by using the satellite beam. "Just hold still!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

FuSchnick posted:

Using Satellite Blaster B on a Deroy makes him wig the gently caress out.

Also, a totally pro move is to rescue teammates from the jaws of a red ant by using the satellite beam. "Just hold still!"

Are they actually called Deroys? Because my friends and I always heard D-Roid and figured it was a robot joke.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

This is extremely unrealistic - I've never seen it get that high in real EDF. (Talking about the framerate, not the tank)

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Are they actually called Deroys? Because my friends and I always heard D-Roid and figured it was a robot joke.
Something like that. If you look at your battle history, it lists the amount of kills you have for each enemy type (if you have encountered them).

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

Something like that. If you look at your battle history, it lists the amount of kills you have for each enemy type (if you have encountered them).

I fondly refer to them as giant handicapped spiders (only 3 legs and all).

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
It seems like some folks on the 360 have already found a way to edit their stats.

I've seen at least two Wing Divers now with over 4 million armour. The box in the lobby literally can't hold all the numbers. :stare:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well I know what I'm doing tonight.

I finally got one of the good satellite strikes last night, the first Spritefall, and it made the last mission kind of trivial, actually. It refills so fast and deals so much that anything relatively stationary melts like butter. Without any help from my Wing Diver buddy it pushed the Brain through every phase transition of the fight. He tore apart the Earth Eaters to refill my strikes, I obliterated it. It was awesome and felt like pure, distilled EDF power progression. :black101:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot just how much fun this series was. And being able to fly around just makes it even better. Some day I may try another class if I can tear myself away from Wing Diving.

Also the bugs fly into pieces when you explode them sometimes, which is very funny.

Only done nine or so missions, just bugs so far, looking forward to the next new thing. Those little flying drones I expect.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Do you ever get shotguns with less than a 4 second reload time?
I FINALLY got one... With a 3 second reload. But it's cool because it's an auto-shotgun with a bigger capacity. This was Normal, around... late 30s? Mid 40s? The mission numbers have kind of blurred. But I've gone from only two shotguns forever to like, 6 different ones so looks like options are opening up.

I can't wait to try it on a mission where I don't pretty much require both a sniper rifle/practically strong and accurate long range explosive to take down transports and such, and an assault rifle/appropriate lock on launcher to kill drones hanging out well past shotgun range.

My biggest "Problem" with shotguns so far when I have used them, is that since they don't penetrate (unless later ones do) they are really badass but you're not going to be killing many red ants at a time with them, or even black ones compared to an assault rifle. I did bring the extra wide spread shotgun with me on a few missions out of spite, they did a better job swatting normal drones out of the air than killing red ants (though even that would have gone better with an assault rifle).

They still ruin the day of Hectors if you get close enough to use it though, even the newer ones I've been starting to see. But I've usually killed most of them with a fuckoff sniper rifle long before I enter shotgun range. Don't bother with less than S accurate sniper rifles by the way, it's an exercise in frustration.

EDIT: vvv Nice. I used a Flamethrower and that 1 Shot, 10 explosives at once grenade launcher that looks like an old fashioned cannon.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 27, 2014

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I got a Governor 50 a while back that is possibly the best weapon for underground missions. 50 pellets in a wide circular pattern is PERFECT for clearing the bugs coming at you from all angles down a tunnel.

I cleared the underground trio of kill the ant queen missions on hard with only that and a flamethrower. Who cares if I couldn't hit an ant the size of a building at more than 150m. If they got any closer I was death incarnate :black101:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just finished those missions now. I didn't realize that you couldn't reload the plasma rifle or that it would just keep firing until dead, so I completely wasted it at the start of the mission and then had to finish the whole thing with just a rocket launcher.

Holy poo poo, mission 32.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
I just wanted to chime in and say that this game has brought back all of my love for the original EDF and added to it in the best of ways. I'm particularly surprised by how awesome the online play works. I haven't touched my xbox 360 since insect armageddon and I subscribed to gold specifically to get my EDF online and I am loving every minute of it. The only complaints I have with the online play is that I wish you could jump into a mission in progress or get some indication as to how far along a mission is. With that being said though once you get a great group of people going it's a spectacular experience. I did have one question though, what's with the web gun on the air raider? It seems to do an insane amount of mystery damage if you connect with all of the webs. I'm not sure how much mystery damage but... it's alot of mystery damage

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fix posted:

I just finished those missions now. I didn't realize that you couldn't reload the plasma rifle or that it would just keep firing until dead, so I completely wasted it at the start of the mission and then had to finish the whole thing with just a rocket launcher.

Holy poo poo, mission 32.
If you weapon switch, it turns off the plasma cannon. It stays off until you pull the trigger on it again. I don't know if it actually says this anywhere in game but my insane logic picked right up on this. Even then though, with how fast it burns through ammo it is only useful for special occasions you can actually save it for, and still deal with everything else fine with your second weapon.

One occasion to dust off my plasma cannon and use it to kick some serious rear end when I saw a mission image and description showcasing Giant leaping spiders.. It ended up being one of the easiest missions in a while, and my only regret is that the plasma cannon doesn't make them explode. :getin:

Also, god drat NPC Wing Divers love to constantly hop in front of your weapons. Come on ladies, I'm trying to use dangerous slow to launch wide spread rockets here.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh yeah, I figured that out. Then I decided to drain it so it would reload and be ready. :downsgun:

I am not figuring out how to not die on 32. I get one shield generator down and then I am just unable to foot it across to the other one without being personally genocided.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Izno posted:

I did have one question though, what's with the web gun on the air raider? It seems to do an insane amount of mystery damage if you connect with all of the webs. I'm not sure how much mystery damage but... it's alot of mystery damage

It does DOT, so if you connect with all the webs it will start to do pretty respectable damage. If you're fighting bugs with it aim for the back of the pack and let the webs drape over them then run back and forth to get everything you missed tangled up in it since the webs will stick to and damage any enemy they touch even if they're already attached to something. They're also great for getting some breathing room from troublesome Hectors, since the constant damage more or less stun locks them and they'll just keep backing away from you instead of trying to shoot.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
So me and a couple friends did a 3-player couch coop with a couple xboxes and monitors. As much as I love everything about this game, I couldn't have been more pissed off to learn that you literally need a separate xbox live gold account for each player. Seriously? We can't sign in the second split-screen player as a guest? gently caress games that lack system-link support.

Luckily, once we got all that sorted out, we got to play EDF for 14 straight hours.

Computer Opponent fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 27, 2014

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fix posted:

Oh yeah, I figured that out. Then I decided to drain it so it would reload and be ready. :downsgun:

I am not figuring out how to not die on 32. I get one shield generator down and then I am just unable to foot it across to the other one without being personally genocided.
Kill the first Hector, clear out that first batch of bugs, stand on that street where the first Hector was stomping around until you killed it, and shoot at the giant space genocide cannon with your longest ranged weaponry. It looks like you're doing zero damage, but as long as you see the little explosion or sparks animation that you're hitting it, you're hurting it, it will explode.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Hyperactive posted:

Kill the first Hector, clear out that first batch of bugs, stand on that street where the first Hector was stomping around until you killed it, and shoot at the giant space genocide cannon with your longest ranged weaponry. It looks like you're doing zero damage, but as long as you see the little explosion or sparks animation that you're hitting it, you're hurting it, it will explode.

This. If you're an Air Raider and don't have a railgun tank yet, a chopper is a good way to get the job done. The maximum height isn't quite enough to fire the machineguns straight on, but if you get close then pull back you can spray the thing with bullets.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question about mission 32. Either I was incredibly lucky in not being in range of the doom gun and just it's smaller lasers spam, or does the ship not nuke you from orbit unless it's higher than Normal difficulty?

Because while I got vaporized twice from full health by the third form on "Starship", Mission 32 went off without a hitch. I had heard about the "Oh poo poo space genocide gun" but either I didn't notice it during all the other carnage and explosions, or it decided to blow up somewhere else aside from where I was.

Edit: Ooooh, right. I blew up the gun with my fuckoff Stringer sniper rifle before it could do too much damage. Chalking it up as "I'm a baby playing Normal Difficulty" then for that going so well.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 27, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hyperactive posted:

Oh, hell. I thought I couldn't touch it until I had cleared out the shield dudes because the VO keeps on going on about energy shields.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
In Mission 32 the genocide gun will retreat after you kill all the drones, too. Presumably you don't really have the resources to take it out yet. I don't think I've ever killed it in that mission.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man I tried to play Ranger tonight after Fencer and Wing and it just feels so limiting. It's too bad.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Man I tried to play Ranger tonight after Fencer and Wing and it just feels so limiting. It's too bad.

I get jealousy sometimes as a dude who only plays Ranger at the moment, but then I end up saving the team and killing everything as the most regular of dudes so I'm totally okay with this.

Their guns may not be crazy but boy howdy do they get the job done. I sometimes end up saving the day with a regular rear end grenade that just does insane damage over my teammates' death lasers and giant robots and whatnot and it is absolutely wonderful feeling wise.

The tone of the game is set pretty perfectly for rangers, considering how absolutely ridiculously against-the-odds every single mission is.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 27, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Computer Opponent posted:

So me and a couple friends did a 3-player couch coop with a couple xboxes and monitors. As much as I love everything about this game, I couldn't have been more pissed off to learn that you literally need a separate xbox live gold account for each player. Seriously? We can't sign in the second split-screen player as a guest? gently caress games that lack system-link support.

Luckily, once we got all that sorted out, we got to play EDF for 14 straight hours.

You can sign in a split screen player as a guest, I have just done so personally and played with multiple people online who have done this. Your brain is fried or something.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So I guess a footnote, uh, don't use the enhanced howitzer, it keeps soft locking my xbox. It's lots of explosions though.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I am so disgusted with myself right now, because it took me until Mission 72 to realize that the EDF soldiers actually have several versions of their battle hymn...each more depressing than the last as the war goes on.

I've also noticed some interesting things regarding initial troop formations in several missions. Did you know that the squads are arranged so that they resemble a turtle in Mission 26: Crimson?

Been playing a lot of offline co-op lately, I apologize if I've missed some invites. I usually take the time to respond if I can't play but I may have missed some here or there.

quote:

Rangers' guns may not be crazy but boy howdy do they get the job done. I sometimes end up saving the day with a regular rear end grenade that just does insane damage over my teammates' death lasers and giant robots and whatnot and it is absolutely wonderful feeling wise.
Well, when you have a regular-rear end hand grenade that explodes into a firestorm that is larger and burns more intensely than a cruise missile detonation....

quote:

The tone of the game is set pretty perfectly for rangers, considering how absolutely ridiculously against-the-odds every single mission is.
I think 2017 was a bit better at underscoring how hopeless the war effort felt. It's a fairly rapid, steady decline and by the final mission Storm One is one of a handful of remaining EDF troopers still alive. Fairly early on in that one the Earth's combined air forces are lost sometime before Mission 20. By the end of that one you're fighting in almost completely annihilated cities. I haven't quite finished the campaign yet, and I still got around 20 or so missions to go so perhaps the tone shifts further from "It looks like we're down but not out yet" to "Oh god you guys we are completely, irrevocably hosed".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Seiren posted:

I still got around 20 or so missions to go so perhaps the tone shifts further from "It looks like we're down but not out yet" to "Oh god you guys we are completely, irrevocably hosed".

Keep going, you have no idea. You literally become an epic to everyone watching, it's magical.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Seiren posted:

I am so disgusted with myself right now, because it took me until Mission 72 to realize that the EDF soldiers actually have several versions of their battle hymn...each more depressing than the last as the war goes on.
"Two days ago my brother died; Today my lover fell."
"Shut the gently caress up with that depressing crap."

... or words to that effect.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I love how Fencer NPCs sound like they are in their suits for the very first time.

"I feel like a robot!"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Crusher posted:

I love how Fencer NPCs sound like they are in their suits for the very first time.

"I feel like a robot!"

They probably are. The EDF has casualty rates that make X-Com cringe.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

They probably are. The EDF has casualty rates that make X-Com cringe.

To be fair, a majority of the EDF casualties are from "friendly fire incidents". They're surprisingly durable, given that a certain unit doesn't blow them all away for jumping into their line of fire with the latest hand-held mass-annihilation device EDF R&D gave them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

As strange as it might sound, one of my favorite things about this game is the almost eerie feeling you get when you find yourself all alone in a destroyed city and wander around, especially in the later levels where poo poo gets real and the music becomes all somber. Yeah, you survived this time but everyone around you is dead once again (including the guys who were among that handful of soldiers left alive at the end of 2017), the Earth is even more hosed than it was before this mission, the radio transmissions get more and more grim (even the operator breaks down several times, and she's voiced by a professional VA who just nails it in those bits) and you're pretty clearly fighting a hopeless battle. Speaking of which, the final mission does genuinely feel hopeless when it JUST WON'T END no matter what you do, the Ravagers/Earth Eaters just loving keep coming. (don't know if this even needs spoiler tags because it's EDF, but just to be safe)

Seiren posted:

To be fair, a majority of the EDF casualties are from "friendly fire incidents".
I wonder if the recruits are informed of this when they sign up. "Yes, some of you will likely die due to friendly fire incidents involving weapons of mass destruction, but remember that you are doing it for the future of the Earth and mankind! :patriot:"

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 27, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am having a hard time coping with the fact that this game keeps getting more and more intense. I keep expecting a plateau, but nope, now there's more stuff blowing me up.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

hector got mad ups

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
That level is amazing for that very reason, absolutely anything. I'll be sitting there, getting my Air Raider stuff all set up, and then wham, incoming Hector. Makes me laugh every time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am really impressed with the writing in this game. In the last game your CO gives a couple of awesome speeches that get you all psyched up to kill aliens. This game didn't have a speech like that, but the way your comrades talk about Storm 1 and the way it leads to the final level is really great. It was something that kept making me smile and made everything so much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I am really impressed with the writing in this game. In the last game your CO gives a couple of awesome speeches that get you all psyched up to kill aliens. This game didn't have a speech like that, but the way your comrades talk about Storm 1 and the way it leads to the final level is really great. It was something that kept making me smile and made everything so much more fun.
Speaking of that final level, I noticed that it's certainly farmable if you're willing to take your time on an already fairly long mission, but I also see that attempts to do so could result in a whole lot of wasted time.

Is the commander of Omega Team supposed to be Storm One from 2017? The hints seem to point that way, but its never explicitly stated. Also, hello Pale Wing, nice to meet you.