Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nait Sirhc posted:

Debating between e60 535i and W211 Mercedes E55 AMG for the next car :/

both can be picked up between $15-20k, but the BMW is 4-5 years newer and (almost impossible to find) available in 6MT. How's the auto in the 535? Total poo poo?

Any owners have some significant do-or-don't's to warn me about? Current car is an e46 330i, I'm just looking for something a bit newer and with more power. Last car was an e39 M5, car before that was another E55 AMG.

If you're anywhere near Ontario, Canada or Florida please sell me your 330i. They're hard to come by here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

voltron posted:

Anyone have a carfax account for its VIN? Wbabl93424pn56352

:raise: Any M car you run across should have a VIN starting with WBS not WBA.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Das Volk posted:

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

It's an M3 according to this decoder

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Das Volk posted:

That's the first thing I thought of posting, but I ran the vin through the decoder Captain Postal linked and it said M3, so :iiam:

Though I thought I recalled something about some of the latter-day M5s being made on the line with standard 5ers and getting WBA VINs, maybe that's a thing with some M3s too? Still seems fishy to me, especially with the likely body damage, the ricey faux-CSL tail, etc. That listing in general is just a bunch of red flags.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Viper_3000 posted:

This method has always worked for me. Give this a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcFN3Ns0yI

To do additional keys, you don't need to put them into the ignition, as long as the first one is recognized, then just do the holding down unlock/pressing lock step and they should sync up as well. (The door locks will click to indicate it worked.) Other important things: You need to do this with all the car doors closed, and they need to remain closed thru the entire process. Also make sure you have fresh correct batteries.

I got a chance to try this tonight and no dice, so I guess my batteries have died again, or something else is broken. I'll get new batteries and give it another shot. In the mean time people at work are telling me to spray lube into the lock, that's as bad an idea as it sounds right?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I got a chance to try this tonight and no dice, so I guess my batteries have died again, or something else is broken. I'll get new batteries and give it another shot. In the mean time people at work are telling me to spray lube into the lock, that's as bad an idea as it sounds right?

Yeah that's not your problem.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's not the door "ACTUATOR" is it? They do go wonky on the E46. I included a new one with the E46 I recently sold as it popped up some error codes during the PPI. Door wouldn't open on first click x number of times.

In other news: BMW finally stopped accepting manual transmission orders on the 5 Series effective Feb 1. Take rates for F10 were under 3% (I am guessing.)

A small part of me says "drat you BMW" but as an owner of a 2013 535 MT, it's really too big, heavy, quiet and luxurious of a car for it - especially around town where it's just sort of annoying and basically adds nothing to the driving experience. The 8 speed auto is a better match for this car and seriously nobody will miss the MT on it.

Some of you old goons might remember that you could get a heavy 7 series with an MT until 1997 or so (2001 outside the USA).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 25, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah that's not your problem.

My original post has two problems. The fob has never worked, I'm trying to resurrect it as a band aid for the one and only exterior lock not locking(won't turn the locking direction, will turn in the unlocking direction). I also need to fix that. Until I fix at least one of those problems my car is not lockable.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Keyser S0ze posted:

it's not the door "ACTUATOR" is it? They do go wonky on the E46. I included a new one with the E46 I recently sold as it popped up some error codes during the PPI. Door wouldn't open on first click x number of times.

In other news: BMW finally stopped accepting manual transmission orders on the 5 Series effective Feb 1. Take rates for F10 were under 3% (I am guessing.)

A small part of me says "drat you BMW" but as an owner of a 2013 535 MT, it's really too big, heavy, quiet and luxurious of a car for it - especially around town where it's just sort of annoying and basically adds nothing to the driving experience. The 8 speed auto is a better match for this car and seriously nobody will miss the MT on it.

Some of you old goons might remember that you could get a heavy 7 series with an MT until 1997 or so (2001 outside the USA).

If I didn't need halfway decent fuel efficiency, I would be looking into this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/ville-de-montreal/1988-bmw-7-series-black-sedan/568645829?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I don't even care that a 535i would be more reliable and faster.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's the first thing I thought of posting, but I ran the vin through the decoder Captain Postal linked and it said M3, so :iiam:

Though I thought I recalled something about some of the latter-day M5s being made on the line with standard 5ers and getting WBA VINs, maybe that's a thing with some M3s too? Still seems fishy to me, especially with the likely body damage, the ricey faux-CSL tail, etc. That listing in general is just a bunch of red flags.

I ran it too, and it corrected the VIN to WBS, so there you go. Dunno about the M5s, I always recall them being different because they were built by M GMBH, much like how an Alpina has its own VIN despite being based off the same chassis as well.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Das Volk posted:

I ran it too, and it corrected the VIN to WBS, so there you go. Dunno about the M5s, I always recall them being different because they were built by M GMBH, much like how an Alpina has its own VIN despite being based off the same chassis as well.

I found the sale post on E46Fans. I searched for the same username on bimmerforums and found a post where he was looking for a new hood. Via PM, I asked the seller why he was looking for a hood when he had only mentioned "a small knick" in the bumper and he mentioned that the hood was also scratched in a small spot. Who knows what else you'd have to dig for and ask the guy about specifically to know the car's full story. There'll be another one around soon enough.

Here's the AD in question:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1008331

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

1997? Sheeeeeit, they were still listing it as an option back around 2009 or so for the 735i and 750i (760i and the long wheelbase models were auto only though).

That's why I ended up getting a BMW - they used to be the one manufacturer who reliably made manuals available on every model (a former co-worker had a manual X3, and as much as I hate SUVs, that's pretty cool of them to offer them with three pedals and a stick)

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cakefool posted:

My original post has two problems. The fob has never worked, I'm trying to resurrect it as a band aid for the one and only exterior lock not locking(won't turn the locking direction, will turn in the unlocking direction). I also need to fix that. Until I fix at least one of those problems my car is not lockable.

Does the central locking button work to lock/unlock the doors? That can tell you if the actuators are your problem. Otherwise you're looking at a bad battery in your key fob or a bad key fob if that syncing method didn't work. (Also check fuses/voltage if you haven't already)

For the physical lock, something is probably broken in the cylinder. I haven't dealt with that at all, but this thread should help with that.

EDIT: If all of that fails, the GM5 module may be bad. Here's someone who you can talk to about that.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 26, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Keyser S0ze posted:

The 5 series pretty much is the new 7 series anyways. In 10 years time the 3 series will be as large as the current 7 series, and the new 7 series will be a large party bus full of hookers and blow.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The 1 series will be the size of the current 3 series and BMW will have to make a .5 series in order to have a smallish sized car again.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Galler posted:

The 1 series will be the size of the current 3 series and BMW will have to make a .5 series in order to have a smallish sized car again.

Nah, it'll be a plug-in electric city car and it'll be called the 0. The marketing writes itself.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Captain Postal posted:

Nah, it'll be a plug-in electric city car and it'll be called the 0. The marketing writes itself.

Zero emissions, zero pollution, zero reliance on OPEC, and zero connection to the company that used to have a full lineup of fun-to-drive sport sedans and coupes.

A little historical reminder: back in the 50's when BMW mostly made economical commuter cars, they spent a lot of time skirting bankruptcy - it was a refocusing on the sporty Neu Klasse that turned them profitable, not poo poo like the Isetta.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It wouldn't have anything to do with europe being bombed to gently caress and 20 years of Marshall Plan money restoring some modicum of prosperity to the entire continent giving people more money to spend on cars, nope not at all

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

8ender posted:

The 5 series pretty much is the new 7 series anyways. In 10 years time the 3 series will be as large as the current 7 series, and the new 7 series will be a large party bus full of hookers and blow.

Im in

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't see the 5 getting any longer than the current 193 inches however it's gonna drop weight in the next iteration for sure which will help performance. BMW still has a huge gap between 3/4 (182) AND 5 (193).

HotCanadianChick: are you saying you could still get 7 series sticks in Canada until 2009?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I don't see the 5 getting any longer than the current 193 inches however it's gonna drop weight in the next iteration for sure which will help performance. BMW still has a huge gap between 3/4 (182) AND 5 (193).

Can you cite a precedent of a luxury full size sedan reducing in weight?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Postal posted:

Everything's dropping weight in the next few years for fuel economy reasons. I can't cite precedent for a pickup truck ever losing weight massively in the past, but both Ford and GM have committed to exactly that for their next generations. Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it won't in the future due to real and artificial market pressures.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Captain Postal posted:

5/7 will both be lighter per BMW

https://www.bmwcca.org/node/6984%5C%5C

car magazine posted:

BMW’s next-generation 5 Series—factory code G30—will show up in just over two years, the summer of 2016, according to Car Magazine. The sixth iteration of BMW’s iconic mid-level sedan will include a range from gas-sipping three-liter models all the way up to a 600-horsepower M5. Also in the mix will be Touring wagons and a Gran Tourismo. Look for both rear-wheel and all-wheel-drive versions.

Emphasis will be on commonality of chassis—and on losing weight. High-strength steel, aluminum, and carbon-fiber will help the new 5 Series drop up to 175 pounds, while the M5 might weigh in almost 400 pounds lighter than the current version

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

When the Audi V8 became the A8 they switched from steel to aluminum and the car got lighter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

quote:

BMW’s next-generation 5 Series—factory code G30

They're on G already? They must be just throwing away codes on designs that never leave the CAD stations these days or something, it took nearly 40 years to run through the E series yet F was apparently exhausted in seven years.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

HotCanadianChick: are you saying you could still get 7 series sticks in Canada until 2009?

No, in the US. Back around the time we first got the 1 series, I spent a lot of time on bmwusa.com browsing the configurator for various models. Then I lost my good paying job and ended up eventually buying a used 3 instead of a new 135.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can you guys tell me about newer X drive touring 3 series? My dad recently wrecked his Subaru and I've been steering him towards getting a BMW touring. He's been sending me links to 2007+ listings but I really don't know much about them or what issues to look out for.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What are people's favorite methods of getting a few inches more helmet clearance in an E36 coupe? I need helmet clearance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ziploc posted:

What are people's favorite methods of getting a few inches more helmet clearance in an E36 coupe? I need helmet clearance.

You could probably find seat rails that drop the seat. Especially if you don't mind as much about moving your seat forward and back.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

VelociBacon posted:

You could probably find seat rails that drop the seat. Especially if you don't mind as much about moving your seat forward and back.

I don't think anything exists for the stock seats. I'll see what I can google.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

No, in the US. Back around the time we first got the 1 series, I spent a lot of time on bmwusa.com browsing the configurator for various models. Then I lost my good paying job and ended up eventually buying a used 3 instead of a new 135.

hmmmm, I respectfully think you are mistaken. There were no E65 7's in the USA with MT as far as I can tell (or even track down) and only the earliest of E38's.

Popete posted:

Can you guys tell me about newer X drive touring 3 series? My dad recently wrecked his Subaru and I've been steering him towards getting a BMW touring. He's been sending me links to 2007+ listings but I really don't know much about them or what issues to look out for.

Look for a 2011 last year E90....everything was sorted out. 2010 as a backup.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 27, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

Does the central locking button work to lock/unlock the doors? That can tell you if the actuators are your problem. Otherwise you're looking at a bad battery in your key fob or a bad key fob if that syncing method didn't work. (Also check fuses/voltage if you haven't already)

For the physical lock, something is probably broken in the cylinder. I haven't dealt with that at all, but this thread should help with that.

EDIT: If all of that fails, the GM5 module may be bad. Here's someone who you can talk to about that.

Thanks for all this. Yes, the central locking works from inside. Reading what you linked I'm certain the lock is physically broken so I've ordered the repair kit. I've replaced fob batteries before but never got them to sync, worth another go I suppose.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Keyser S0ze posted:

hmmmm, I respectfully think you are mistaken. There were no E65 7's in the USA with MT as far as I can tell (or even track down) and only the earliest of E38's.

I never said anyone actually ordered an E65 in the US with a stick, just that it was listed as an option and you could configure one on the BMW USA website.

Frankly I'd be shocked to see any year of 7 with a manual, anywhere in the world (outside of the one-off 760il manual BMW made for The Transporter series of movies, where it's been noted that 760i's specifically were not normally available with a stick unlike other 7s)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

Aftermarket seat or sunroof delete are basically your only options. I don't think either of the stock m3 seat types are lower than the other since they use the same frames. Some people swap in e46 seats but I don't know what the benefits of those are.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ziploc posted:

Have you tried lowering the seat? Even the manual seats have height adjustment, but it's not totally obvious.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
My 330ci just shat a coil which sent me into a panic frenzy as the car wobled and sputtered ... Am I in the club?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mulligan posted:

My 330ci just shat a coil which sent me into a panic frenzy as the car wobled and sputtered ... Am I in the club?

Its only official when you say "God drat cooling system!" But you are semi there.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its only official when you say "God drat cooling system!" But you are semi there.

Or VANOS

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You know when you're officially in the club? When you've looked at a repair bill/parts bill, said gently caress and then proceeded not to care because you enjoy your car so much...that's when you're in the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I absolutely love this car.