Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NinjaDebugger posted:

Actually, I'm not completely sure, but I think the actual order is the cavern flips, the trigger triggers, the aura falls off, and then the trigger goes on the stack and will resolve and kill the cavern. It depends on if SBEs are checked before you put triggers on the stack.

SBEs are in fact checked before triggered abilities are put on the stack (704.3 or 116.5 in the comprehensive rules if you're interested).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

AgentAO posted:

Sarkhan Vol Jace comes from a plane where territorial warlords guilds vie against each other in unending, brutal war politics. On this plane, dragons have long since been hunted to extinction for sport and glory the old Guildpact.
History shows, Wizards will put dragons everywhere, with no rhyme or reason. They were on Innistrad, for gently caress's sake. It's because casuals love both angels and dragons, the bigger and sillier the better.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think he was asking more in terms of context of the story. What events caused there to be creatures entombed in clay spiders?

They're doing it on purpose as basically pokeballs with legs.

Veyrall posted:

History shows, Wizards will put dragons everywhere, with no rhyme or reason. They were on Innistrad, for gently caress's sake. It's because casuals love both angels and dragons, the bigger and sillier the better.

On the other hand, the Innistrad dragons were cool as heck

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 27, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Veyrall posted:

Yep, they put dragons and angels in every set because it sells packs. Turns out they need to make money to keep making magic. The only exception to the rule is when angels or dragons make very little to sense. For example, no angels on theros.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Well, remember. Sarkhan's spark ignited because he made contact with a dragon spirit. I am totally fine with GHOST DRAGON world.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As a second best alternative to actually not shoehorning dragons in where they don't make sense, I'd accept them hanging a lampshade on it in the form of increasingly ridiculous explanations for why dragons are there. Ghost dragons is a good start, but I bet we can come up with better ones. Maybe a few drops of dragon blood get incorporated into a golem and then they spill out centuries later and start generating new dragons. Then Jace turns to Chandra and says, "Man, we just can't get away from these dragons!" and then a laugh track plays.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chorocojo posted:

Well, remember. Sarkhan's spark ignited because he made contact with a dragon spirit. I am totally fine with GHOST DRAGON world.

Hoping we find some Ulgin references outside of Zendikar if we're getting up in spirit dragon buisiness :allears:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My guess is that Sarkhan's boss Bolas has heard about how Dragons have been wiped out on Sarkhan's home plane, and is pissed about what's been done to his kin. So, while Jace and Gideon have been busy on Ravnica and Elspeth (and probably Ajani) have been busy on Theros, he's been plotting to invade this other joint and wreck up the place, and maybe bring back dragons (probably bring back dragons). Ajani lets Elspeth know that he's heard rumors about it after they finish of Xenagos, they get the team back together for one big game, etc. etc. And probably another Dragon planeswalker happens, beacuse if players love anything more than Dragons and Planeswalkers, it's snarky Dragon Planeswalkers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

And probably another Dragon planeswalker happens, beacuse if players love anything more than Dragons and Planeswalkers, it's snarky Dragon Planeswalkers.

Jace finally gives in to his true self and dons a giant robotic dragon body.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

And then wizards finally makes Trap a regular type rather than a subtype.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ramos posted:

And then wizards finally makes Trap a regular type rather than a subtype.

I boldly predict there will never be another supertype so long as Tarmogoyf lives.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My guess is that Sarkhan's boss Bolas has heard about how Dragons have been wiped out on Sarkhan's home plane, and is pissed about what's been done to his kin.

Given that Bolas genocides dragons constantly because why would he want to risk other dudes like him: unlikely.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Breaking news: next block is set in Malatora.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

jassi007 posted:

I boldly predict there will never be another supertype so long as Tarmogoyf lives.

Tarmogoyf doesn't count supertypes, though, otherwise everyone would be playing snow lands exclusively.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Carrasco posted:

Tarmogoyf doesn't count supertypes, though, otherwise everyone would be playing snow lands exclusively.

My bad, I forgot supertype, type, subtype. So yeah I suppose Trap could be a supertype, but it'd never be a type.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Carrasco posted:

Tribal. Actually, tribal isn't a supertype. It just looks like it is because it's always the preceding word.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My guess is that Sarkhan's boss Bolas has heard about how Dragons have been wiped out on Sarkhan's home plane, and is pissed about what's been done to his kin.
Given everything we know about Nicol Bolas, the chances of him caring about someone other than himself are...slim. Very, very slim.

Zorak posted:

On the other hand, the Innistrad dragons were cool as heck
Hey, I wasn't saying the stained-glass wings weren't really cool after they were pointed out to me. I hope we get more Innistrad-style dragons, because they're at least interesting and sleek.

Zorak posted:

Given that Bolas genocides dragons constantly because why would he want to risk other dudes like him: unlikely.
I didn't know about this, though. When/where did Nicol Bolas go out of his way to kill other dragons? Granted, it is entirely in keeping with his pattern.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Veyrall posted:

Well, at least with Theros, I'm surprised there aren't more dragons than just Forgestoker and Stormbreath, considering that the word dragon itself comes from the Greek blah blah blah. Who knows, maybe Journey into Nyx will have some pants-shittingly sicknasty Enchantment Creature - Dragon, or Nicol Bolas shows up for no reason and becomes a God, or Ajani becomes a dragon! :iiam:

Veyrall posted:

I didn't know about this, though. When/where did Nicol Bolas go out of his way to kill other dragons? Granted, it is entirely in keeping with his pattern.

Well, Nicol Bolas was one of the few (five to be exact) surviving Elder Dragons of the Dragon War, so there's that. He also spurned Malfegor into getting his rear end slain by Rafiq, and has done something with Ugin (who I'd really like to see someday).

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

When did Death baron crawl out of the bulk rare bin into the $10+ binder? Did EDH do this???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Carrasco posted:

Actually, there's a dude at my LGS with a Thassa EDH deck where he runs all Snow-Covered Islands for basics, and I always forget to ask him why that's the case. Any ideas?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Compleation except it turns you into a dragon

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Veyrall posted:

Ugin for one. Dude does not like the idea of other Dragon Planeswalkers.

If anything, Sarkhan is very not-plussed about Bolas after the whole Eldrazi thing. He's not exactly the epitome of dragonhood that Sarkhan reveres.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Actually, there's a dude at my LGS with a Thassa EDH deck where he runs all Snow-Covered Islands for basics, and I always forget to ask him why that's the case. Any ideas?

Extraplanar Lens would be my first guess, second would be he runs the hilarious Wizards that only work when you have Snow permanents, third would be the bird whose power/toughness are your Snow permanents.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

You can run Scrying Sheets as a draw engine of sorts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Most people do it for the sake of being able to. I bought a bunch of Coldsnap snow-covered basic lands to play with them in the formats they were allowed in. Even had to point out to someone that they don't get the damage bonus from Molten Rain because they assumed that snow-covered basic lands were non-basic.

There's also a practical reason to use snow-covered lands, and that's to counteract the downside to Extraplanar Lens If you're the only one in the group with Snow-Covered Islands, only you are going to get the benefit of extra mana if you use one to imprint on the lens.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

There's also a practical reason to use snow-covered lands, and that's to counteract the downside to Extraplanar Lens If you're the only one in the group with Snow-Covered Islands, only you are going to get the benefit of extra mana if you use one to imprint on the lens.

That might be it, I know he has Lens in the deck and we have a decent number of people running blue. Not me though, or at least not "good" blue.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Aranan posted:

What about group hug really draws you in? If you just want everyone to draw cards, you can always play a Nekusar deck full of Wheel of Fortune effects and stuff like Forced Fruition. Whee, everyone draws cards! (and then dies from it).

Not sure what it is about group hug that thrills me. The few times I've played it my opponents were good sports about it and it's fun to influence other players and pit them against each other, which I often do. I try not to get too crazy with the spells I choose to play. So far I've avoided things like Awakening in favor of spells like Melira and Ghosts of the Innocent which are beneficial for everyone, but don't ramp up the mana and card draw to crazy places. Maybe I'll get bored with it one day and move on to something else, but right now I'm on a big group hug kick.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm enjoying EDH a lot and I appreciate the help.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

First Bass posted:

Well, at least with Theros, ... or Nicol Bolas shows up for no reason and becomes a God,

My friend was trying to convince me that Bolas is indeed coming to Theros as evidenced by Xenagos' scarf.

You know who else has a scarf like that?

And their minions share it as well:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Slave of Bolas doesn't have the trademark Bolas scarf though. That's a cape. Well, either a cape or she has an entire carpet tied to her back. Either one.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Slave of Bolas doesn't have the trademark Bolas scarf though. That's a cape. Well, either a cape or she has an entire carpet tied to her back. Either one.

Honestly, isn't that what a cape is?

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Edit: Misread.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Can someone explain to me why the big bad dragon bad evil guy of supreme evil needs a scarf?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

Can someone explain to me why the big bad dragon bad evil guy of supreme evil needs a scarf?

Because he was cold.
Alternatively, Return to Ice Age is being teased.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Livingtrope posted:

Because he is the savior of dragons? Whose to say it is a scarf and not a stole? Jesus dragon returns to cleanse the non-believers.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Maybe it's a trophy. Maybe it's made out of Ugin. :black101:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Livingtrope posted:

Because he likes it. Just like the weird rock.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Didn't someone in here say that the rock was an egg? I think I know how dragons are getting back to the khan plane now...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Livingtrope posted:

Didn't someone in here say that the rock was an egg? I think I know how dragons are getting back to the khan plane now...

Nicol Bolas is a typo it's actually Nicole Bolas

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Livingtrope posted:

It's a handegg, Nicol Bolas loves football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Zorak posted:

It's a handegg, Nicol Bolas loves football.

Bolas? Playing sports? Need I remind you that Nicol Bolas is the Dragon-Nerd.

• Locked thread