Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

What's happening, West-wise, with the film? Is there any chance of an official English translation for us to enjoy?

Congrats on everything Zari-Gani, that's all incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

No clue why my unrelated art is up there.
It's because you do the best official fan art. :colbert:

Also, congrats on getting in the credits (sorry if I'm a day or two late :shobon:).

a_big_dog posted:

What's happening, West-wise, with the film? Is there any chance of an official English translation for us to enjoy?
I'm thinking it's way too early to know if we'll even get an English release since the movie just came out. I'd give it a few months to a year minimum after the DVD/Blu-ray is released since I'm sure there's a lot of legal stuff to go through since the movie looks like it contains a lot of licensed stuff (games and even other stuff like Fist of the North Star going by a screencap in the Kotaku review's comment section).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Obeast posted:

It's because you do the best official fan art. :colbert:

Also, congrats on getting in the credits (sorry if I'm a day or two late :shobon:).

I'm thinking it's way too early to know if we'll even get an English release since the movie just came out. I'd give it a few months to a year minimum after the DVD/Blu-ray is released since I'm sure there's a lot of legal stuff to go through since the movie looks like it contains a lot of licensed stuff (games and even other stuff like Fist of the North Star going by a screencap in the Kotaku review's comment section).

Fear not! I have it on good authority that GCCX owes it's success to this thread. So they wouldn't want to upset the people who put them on the map, amirite?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

A new trailer for the 3rd game was released recently. In addition to the game play, it shows off the "Famous Quotes Notebook" where you can listen to famous lines from the show (with an explanation too), and the ability to make and trade Arino-style business cards using StreetPass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTAurmWv73I

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

A new trailer for the 3rd game was released recently. In addition to the game play, it shows off the "Famous Quotes Notebook" where you can listen to famous lines from the show (with an explanation too), and the ability to make and trade Arino-style business cards using StreetPass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTAurmWv73I

You forgot the most important part: another Arino challenges the previous game in the series DVD bonus episode.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

You forgot the most important part: another Arino challenges the previous game in the series DVD bonus episode.

Oh yeah, that was mentioned awhile ago so I thought it was in the first trailer. Arino challenges the second and third games, and the Dragonball and Pac-Man 2 challenges are also included.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Fear not! I have it on good authority that GCCX owes it's success to this thread. So they wouldn't want to upset the people who put them on the map, amirite?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Actually I'm teasing someone else who earlier carelessly stated something along these lines, and everyone else was too polite to question.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Blackchamber posted:

Actually I'm teasing someone else who earlier carelessly stated something along these lines, and everyone else was too polite to question.

The original post was directed at ZG's translation/art efforts, which probably wouldn't be a thing without this thread, you weirdo.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Silentman0 posted:

The original post was directed at ZG's translation/art efforts, which probably wouldn't be a thing without this thread, you weirdo.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm so loving proud of where this thread has taken you and the show.

AND the show. AND.

Not just ZGs art... AND the show.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those who aren't keeping track, here are all the GCCX3 games they've revealed so far:

Wing Hero (horizontal STG/Sky Kid homage)
Saurus Boy (sidescrolling action game)
Rumi's Magic Broom (Mario Bros/Lode Runner-style arcade game)
BreakShoot (competitive block kuzushi game)
Soma's Treasure (Tower of Druaga homage)
Nejima Kingdom (Zelda-esque action game)
Zoliates (vertical STG)
Cheese Tunnel (Game & Watch-style game)
Sword Man (Game & Watch-style game)
Defline (Atari 2600-style pong game)
Noburou (very retro falling block game, I guess it's a homage to 70's arcade machines?)
Medal Game (non-video arcade game; use levers to flick a coin into the hole)
Blood of Dragon (Final Fantasy-esque JRPG with ATB and job switching)
Korokoro Game (non-video arcade game; tilt the 3DS to guide the ball around the maze)
Janken EX (janken-themed arcade medal game)
Super Ruler (roulette-themed arcade medal game)

There are still at least two more games to be revealed, too.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Blackchamber posted:

AND the show. AND.

Where it's taken her AND the show. Together. As a single unit. Not related to her Simpsons comics. Stop posting.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Silentman0 posted:

Where it's taken her AND the show. Together. As a single unit. Not related to her Simpsons comics. Stop posting.

Well drat if this thread is taking credit for her success, let me be the first to say on behalf of this thread's posters: 'You're welcome'.

Now I'll stop posting.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Well drat if this thread is taking credit for her success, let me be the first to say on behalf of this thread's posters: 'You're welcome'.

Now I'll stop posting.

Stop posting about four or so posts ago please, you said a bunch of stupid stuff.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
Always late to the party... CONGRATULATIONS, ZG!

Regarding the movie:
From the first few glimpses we got: the movie could/should have been better. At least the GCCX parts. But maybe Arino didn't have enough time to do a "real movie"? Ok, "real movie" sounds a bit harsh. But it feels... lazy? I haven't seen the movie yet, so this is just a feeling and totally subjective.

Maybe a nice route for this would have been to mock the early videogame movies? Maybe even something like the Super Mario movie as a template (with a hint of Captain N?). Arino on his way to a handshake event. He is late because of a train failure or something. As he rushes to the event, he stumbles over a princess begging him to save their world. She opens up a warp zone and then they get attacked by ninjas, birds and stuff. Evil ruler of the place is King MAX who wants to stop Arino with his SHOCKING MAX technique...

Pretty cheesy, I know but just maybe this could have worked. Even low budget wise... hell, now I want to see THAT movie :-D

Now to something completly different: weekend is coming and her is a GCCX junkie who could use a new fix :-D Joking, but eagerly looking forward to a new release.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Suda, Abe and Kan aren't in the movie either (except for Kan's narration, and Suda & Abe make cameos I haven't spotted yet)

This is the real reason why the movie isn't a "blockbuster", to put it nicely. And congrats on everything for you in regards to GCCX, well earned!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
They gotta save something for the sequel as far as Abe and all goes!

Still, awesome that you landed proper in the credits zari-gani.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Blackchamber posted:

AND the show. AND.

Yeah, the DVDs were translated by ZG. I'm pretty sure if SAGCCX wasn't around, I wouldn't have these, but be an rear end in a top hat sure.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I'm glad zari-gani posted her review, because I'm guessing the movie (for what it is), is probably still pretty good. Although I agree that it's disappointing that they re-used so much TV footage for a feature film, I believe that the Mighty Bomb Jack saga was the most epic the show has ever done, and I would love to see how it ties into the rest of the movie. I remember when watching the live challenge yelling under my breath "Are you crazy? SAVE!". Here's hoping the movie gets an official English translation sometime this year :)

Side note, I'm a long-time lurker that signed up to this message board just for this thread. Thanks for all the amazing content SAGCCX team, I really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this show. Keep up the good work.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Yeah, the DVDs were translated by ZG. I'm pretty sure if SAGCCX wasn't around, I wouldn't have these, but be an rear end in a top hat sure.

Knowledge spread and creation of a whole new overseas market are powerful things, aren't they? While I don't really know my history, I'm pretty sure the SA-GCCX project has been directly responsible for an increased awareness for GameCenter CX overseas, which opened up a whole new market for them, leading to the KOTAK releases, the Diskotek DVD set, and it probably had an impact as far as the turnout for things like the Paris event are concerned. I think the show overall has profited from the work this group has done.

I certainly wouldn't have gotten into the show without those subs, myself.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I didn't really like the Might Bomb Jack stuff, so the focus on it is kind of weird to me. :shrug:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

PureRok posted:

I didn't really like the Might Bomb Jack stuff, so the focus on it is kind of weird to me. :shrug:

It looks like a poo poo game and I will literally never be bored enough to want to play it. Those make the best episodes though. During the Mighty Bomb Jack stuff I found myself on the edge of my seat, swearing at the TV. "For fucks sake Arino", "You're loving useless", "Now you're just doing it on purpose" etc.

:allears: GCCX :allears:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

TheMcD posted:

Knowledge spread and creation of a whole new overseas market are powerful things, aren't they? While I don't really know my history, I'm pretty sure the SA-GCCX project has been directly responsible for an increased awareness for GameCenter CX overseas, which opened up a whole new market for them, leading to the KOTAK releases, the Diskotek DVD set, and it probably had an impact as far as the turnout for things like the Paris event are concerned. I think the show overall has profited from the work this group has done.

I certainly wouldn't have gotten into the show without those subs, myself.

I never heard of GCCX before this I read this thread, even though I played the first ds game and I'm pretty sure I had seen the Zari-gani's print of Arino in America at a convention and not realized what it was. Now I'm fully caught up with every translated episode, and just purchased the DVD set last week and I'm slowly working my way through those episodes. I really appreciate the efforts of the SA-GCCX team for bringing this wonderful show to the west.

Also this thread got me interested in Gaki no Tsukai which is almost as enjoyable as GCCX, and every once in a while you can see Arino's head poking out of the Japanese comedian herd.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Xik posted:

It looks like a poo poo game and I will literally never be bored enough to want to play it.

Mighty Bomb Jack is actually surprisingly fun to play. It's understandable why Arino was so determined to beat it.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I never heard of GCCX before this I read this thread, even though I played the first ds game and I'm pretty sure I had seen the Zari-gani's print of Arino in America at a convention and not realized what it was.

Which convention was that?

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Speaking of GCCX in USA, and I'm sorry to ask this, but it's been bugging the crap out of me forever: does anyone know the name of the songs that play a) when Arino and company eat lunch at the seafood place and b) right before Arino eats at the In-N-Out Burger?

Also, yet another belated congratulations, zari-gani! I've been watching GCCX for what seems like forever and loving every second of it. :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Which convention was that?

Naka-kon in KC, we talked several months ago in this thread about possibly getting you back as a guest artist. I dunno if our guest services people actually contacted you though.

VVV: I was the white guy working the vender room staff, probably neckbearded, possibly smelly.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 27, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Naka-kon in KC, we talked several months ago in this thread about possibly getting you back as a guest artist. I dunno if our guest services people actually contacted you though.

You asked what the picture was, right? I think I remember you.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Broseph Brostar posted:

Ah, right. I haven't heard anything from them, no.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
Congrats on being credited on the movie!! I am so thankful for the hard work that must go into translating and releasing the huge amount of episodes in the backlog. Huzzah!

Now, can anyone tell me which episode any of these images are from? Nakayama is the best.

Thanks!

Edit: I just realised it's written in katakana in the top left corner. From left to right it's "Sonic The Hedgehog","Rainbow Island" and "Dragon Ball something something."

Ganty fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 27, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

^^^: Unfortunately Nakayama hasn't had a girlfriend in about 65 million years.

zari-gani posted:

Ah, right. I haven't heard anything from them, no.
Ah damnit I was afraid you'd say that, the con is next month so I'll be sure to make a stink with the guests people and maybe we can get you for 2015.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ganty posted:

Now, can anyone tell me which episode any of these images are from? Nakayama is the best.

Thanks!

#2 is Rainbow Islands, but that's Emoto :ssh:

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

The White Dragon posted:

#2 is Rainbow Islands, but that's Emoto :ssh:

I know, that doesn't change the fact that Nakayama is the best.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Xik posted:

During the Mighty Bomb Jack stuff I found myself on the edge of my seat, swearing at the TV. "For fucks sake Arino", "You're loving useless", "Now you're just doing it on purpose" etc.

It's so weird that these kind of thoughts never go through my mind when I'm watching GCCX. Probably this has a lot to do with how Arino never gets mad. I'm not saying that it's bad to think this, but I just think it's so remarkable and shows what unique atmosphere the show and the crew have. It's so endearing and builds an attachment to the viewer like nothing else I've seen. When I think about it, then the only time I've really been annoyed at Arino is when he gets that jiggly pig from Korea in the recovering episode and throws it, acting mad.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bolverkur posted:

It's so weird that these kind of thoughts never go through my mind when I'm watching GCCX. Probably this has a lot to do with how Arino never gets mad. I'm not saying that it's bad to think this, but I just think it's so remarkable and shows what unique atmosphere the show and the crew have. It's so endearing and builds an attachment to the viewer like nothing else I've seen. When I think about it, then the only time I've really been annoyed at Arino is when he gets that jiggly pig from Korea in the recovering episode and throws it, acting mad.

I saw that episode recently and yeah, it was really disturbing watching him actually seem mad. Him staying cool is definitely the thing that makes GCCX watchable.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bolverkur posted:

When I think about it, then the only time I've really been annoyed at Arino is when he gets that jiggly pig from Korea in the recovering episode and throws it, acting mad.

I thought it was hilarious, he was so bad at acting mad. :shobon:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

http://gamecenter.bngames.net/detail/ had a couple new games updated. They should look familiar to people who watch the tamage segments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bolverkur posted:

When I think about it, then the only time I've really been annoyed at Arino is when he gets that jiggly pig from Korea in the recovering episode and throws it, acting mad.

I loved that pig, I wish it'd make a comeback.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I loved that pig, I wish it'd make a comeback.

The last time the pig was seen was the live new years special during season thirteen. It was sadly dessicated.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The last time the pig was seen was the live new years special during season thirteen. It was sadly dessicated.

I bought one when I was in Korea, they sell them all over. That pig is definitely gone, mine was finished in 2 weeks..

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Xik posted:

It looks like a poo poo game and I will literally never be bored enough to want to play it.
I didn't give it a chance as a kid because of how silly the box art looked to me, but it is definitely pretty fun, and it's also just as difficult as it looks. Plus, the US version of the game does not have the option to hoard 1-ups since that 1-up token is removed.