Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

muscles like this? posted:

I was re-watching The Usual Suspects the other day and noticed an interesting little bit that they used to subtly throw viewers off the trail of Keyser Soze's identity. At the beginning of the movie on the boat one of the first things you see Soze do is use a Zippo to light a cigarette. A couple of minutes later in the office you see Verbal Kint try and fail to do the same thing. Soze also deliberately uses his left hand to shoot Keaton.

Kuyon at one point pushes Kint and Kint moves his arm a taaaaad more than he showed he was capable of earlier.

Pretty great performance by Spacey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I watched Dylan Dog last night, and at the very beginning he lectures a man threatening him with a gun for blowing his load by cocking the gun from the get go, leaving him without any way to escalate his threats. Later, Dylan then shows us how it's properly done without comment. It's a nice touch.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MariusLecter posted:

All he had to do is come up with a story that fit the evidecne the investigator had.

Yep. There's actually only one piece of evidence that actually names Verbal as Keyser. For all you know Verbal isn't Keyser, he just works for him or something.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
in The Hunt for Red October, there's a scene early on where the crew of the Red October is making fun of how bad the food is. Turns out this is due to the fact that it turns out the ship's cook is actually a KGB agent placed on the ship, and not really a cook

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't think that this was posted before in this thread, but in the first Superman movie, there is a scene where Christopher Reeve, as Clark Kent, is about to reveal to Lois Lane that he is, in fact, Superman. So she leaves the room to get ready for dinner, and you see him 'transform'. At the last minute, he chickens out and transforms back to Clark.

Now the scene itself isn't subtle, it's the entire point of the scene. The change however is. It's more than just "Take off glasses and Wow! You're Superman!" His entire bearing, stance and attitude change between Supes and Clark. He goes from nebbish to bold in about 2 seconds and then back again almost as fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CzarChasm posted:

I don't think that this was posted before in this thread, but in the first Superman movie, there is a scene where Christopher Reeve, as Clark Kent, is about to reveal to Lois Lane that he is, in fact, Superman. So she leaves the room to get ready for dinner, and you see him 'transform'. At the last minute, he chickens out and transforms back to Clark.

Now the scene itself isn't subtle, it's the entire point of the scene. The change however is. It's more than just "Take off glasses and Wow! You're Superman!" His entire bearing, stance and attitude change between Supes and Clark. He goes from nebbish to bold in about 2 seconds and then back again almost as fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

The new guy (Cavill) has the look and voice of what I imagine Superman to be, but I don't know that another actor will ever embody the spirit of the character like Christopher Reeve. He IS Superman.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Blast Fantasto posted:

The new guy (Cavill) has the look and voice of what I imagine Superman to be, but I don't know that another actor will ever embody the spirit of the character like Christopher Reeve. He IS Superman.

I dunno, I honestly think that was one of the few good things about Superman Returns: Routh really nailed the differences between Superman and Clark Kent. Of course, it helps that he, like the rest of the movie, was basically aping the Donner films.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
A subtle (or maybe not?) little piece of cinematography in The Hobbit 2 that I missed the first time around but noticed on a repeat viewing this weekend:

After Bilbo has gone down into the mountain and the dwarves are standing around in the little nook in the mountain, Balin (I think? The old one) is lecturing Thorin not to be corrupted by his desire for the Arkenstone, and not to let greed overtake him like it did his grandfather.

Thorin's response is "I am not my grandfather", but as he says this, the camera pans around so Thorin is shown in profile and the silhouette of his face in the foreground lines up almost perfectly with the giant stone face in the background of the dwarf king carved into the mountainside (presumably Thorin's ancestor, if not actually the grandfather in question. LOTR nerds can confirm?). Nice little bit of foreshadowing that I missed at first.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've just been watching random scenes from Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and Stripes because I wanted to cheer myself up that Harold Ramis died, and I caught this scene from the beginning pf Ghostbusters 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3NWW3aMrs

Egon literally explains the premise of the movie. Bad emotions (of New Yorkers ) are causing physical reactions (the pink slime to form.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've just been watching random scenes from Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and Stripes because I wanted to cheer myself up that Harold Ramis died, and I caught this scene from the beginning pf Ghostbusters 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3NWW3aMrs

Egon literally explains the premise of the movie. Bad emotions (of New Yorkers ) are causing physical reactions (the pink slime to form.)

I caught that for the first time recently too, Ghostbusters 2 was on a lot in the past few weeks. Its right at the beginning of the movie, and nobody knows anything is amiss yet with Vigo or the slime. Just coincidentally Egon has been working on an experiment about human mood and how it can effect the physical world. Its not subtle in hindsight, but you just don't notice it on first viewing because you haven't been told anything about the plot yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not subtle but drat that is a fantastic sight gag at the end of that clip. The little pause before he breaks out the device makes it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Usual Suspects

One of my favorite subtle movie moments in all of movie history is this: There is a scene in which Kujan is interrogating Kint, and Kujan briefly steps behind Kint as he's pacing to the other side of the room. While Kujan is moving behind him, Kint gets the teeniest tiniest glimmer of a smile in his eyes, and by the time Kujan is standing where Kint's face is visible to him, the smile is gone.

Kevin Spacey is incredible.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
In 28 Days Later was it ever known if the "soldiers" were actually soldiers? While defending the mansion they just spray bullets everywhere, one was even excited they "finally got one." Maybe I'm looking into it too far.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Riptor posted:

in The Hunt for Red October, there's a scene early on where the crew of the Red October is making fun of how bad the food is. Turns out this is due to the fact that it turns out the ship's cook is actually a KGB agent placed on the ship, and not really a cook

Pretty sure this isn't accurate, the doctor is telling a story unrelated to the meal the officers are eating.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

My favorite subtle Ghostbuster (RIP Harold Ramis) moment is when they describe on their first bust how much it will cost. I did not catch it when I was a kid so maybe you will like it too. They did not know what to charge so Peter keeps looking at Egon. Watch Egon in the pricing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGiH5HR8W38

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

tagelthebagel posted:

My favorite subtle Ghostbuster (RIP Harold Ramis) moment is when they describe on their first bust how much it will cost. I did not catch it when I was a kid so maybe you will like it too. They did not know what to charge so Peter keeps looking at Egon. Watch Egon in the pricing

I didn't notice this until Christmas when I watched the movie with my parents.

Such a good movie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How many times have I watched that film and not noticed that?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

AlternateAccount posted:

Pretty sure this isn't accurate, the doctor is telling a story unrelated to the meal the officers are eating.

Dammit you're right; I just checked again. That's what it should have been though :colbert:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

tagelthebagel posted:

They actually point this out in the commentary track on the DVD. I definitely recommend watching it through with the commentary because there's a lot of small details I discovered just from it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tagelthebagel posted:

He even writes something down on the pad real quick. The first time I watched it just now I only noticed the 1 finger. I didn't notice that when he first touches his face he was actually holding up four.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Going back to The Usual Suspects for a minute...

Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but I watched the movie again recently (it's finally on Netflix streaming hoorah), and there are some things that I really wonder about. Putting aside Verbal/Keyser connections, I wonder how much of what we the audience 'know' that was also just misdirection.

-Were the stories about Keyser actually true? Did he really off his own family to prove what a badass he was and hunt down hundreds of people to bring down a rival gang? Or is that just another tall tale that's been inflated to make the name of Keyser Soze like the bogeyman?

-Was the supposed 'furious anger of Keyser' at the main cast actually for real? Was he such a hardass that he'd go through all that trouble to assemble what really just amounted to a crowd of small-time lone crooks who just happened to cross him in relatively minor ways? And why set up such a complicated ruse in the first place? If he's as powerful and terrifying as they say, it would be nothing for him to get a gaggle of faceless hired thugs to take care of the big job, and just as easy to find one or more gunmen-for-hire to take out these supposed 'opponents' of his.

There just seem to be so many more things left just open enough for speculation and I love it.

PS do you think Pink got away clean in Reservoir Dogs? I like to believe he did because Steve Buschemi is friggin' great in that movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

IntelligentCalcium posted:

PS do you think Pink got away clean in Reservoir Dogs? I like to believe he did because Steve Buschemi is friggin' great in that movie.

It's really hard to hear but you can make out Mr Pink trying to get away, being stopped by the police, shots being fired and then him surrendering because he got shot. I think this is all before Orange admits he is a cop too.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Aw, boo. That's no fun. I'll get you for this, Tarantino!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but I watched the movie again recently (it's finally on Netflix streaming hoorah), and there are some things that I really wonder about. Putting aside Verbal/Keyser connections, I wonder how much of what we the audience 'know' that was also just misdirection.

-Were the stories about Keyser actually true? Did he really off his own family to prove what a badass he was and hunt down hundreds of people to bring down a rival gang? Or is that just another tall tale that's been inflated to make the name of Keyser Soze like the bogeyman?

When Verbal tells the Keyser story the criminal mastermind has really long hair and a pretty face. The actual guy lies somewhere in between Kint the Gimp and Keyser the ultimate bad-rear end boogeyman but he has Kevin Spacey's face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

-Was the supposed 'furious anger of Keyser' at the main cast actually for real? Was he such a hardass that he'd go through all that trouble to assemble what really just amounted to a crowd of small-time lone crooks who just happened to cross him in relatively minor ways? And why set up such a complicated ruse in the first place? If he's as powerful and terrifying as they say, it would be nothing for him to get a gaggle of faceless hired thugs to take care of the big job, and just as easy to find one or more gunmen-for-hire to take out these supposed 'opponents' of his.

There just seem to be so many more things left just open enough for speculation and I love it.

The only things we know for sure to be true are the things that are outside of Verbal's story (the opening of the movie on the boat, the very end and the parts with the cops talking to each other) and the basics of the line up.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm rewatching the LotR trilogy extended editions and I noticed in The Two Towers when Treebeard tells Merry and Pippin, "We have agreed that you are not orcs" the ents behind him all nod eagerly. Easy to miss the first several times I saw the movie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tagelthebagel posted:

Rick Moranis keeps getting locked out of his apartment; ironic, since he is THE KEYMASTER.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

sebmojo posted:

Rick Moranis keeps getting locked out of his apartment; ironic, since he is THE KEYMASTER.

Holy poo poo.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

sebmojo posted:

A: Holy poo poo.

B: When Dana's eggs are frying on the counter at the beginning of the movie, there's a bag of Stay Puft right next to them. I hesitate to call it subtle, but I also didn't notice it until about 45 seconds ago.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

sebmojo posted:

:monocle:

That is amazing.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

A: Holy poo poo.

B: When Dana's eggs are frying on the counter at the beginning of the movie, there's a bag of Stay Puft right next to them. I hesitate to call it subtle, but I also didn't notice it until about 45 seconds ago.

I remember seeing the Stay Puffs around the millions of viewings I had of that movie but the KEYMASTER thing I never made the connection! NICE!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fumaofthelake posted:

There's also a brief shot somewhere of a seriously faded Stay Puft ad painted on the side of a building. The only elements that establish Stay Puft as a brand are pretty easy to miss, really.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Not putting up spoilers for an almost 20 year old movie, and the big twist was already discussed earlier.

It's been a little while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, Keyser sends Kobyashi to the group with the big bad bogeyman story, and that each of those men had betrayed Keyser without knowing it. So, in order to let bygones be bygones he sends them on a suicide mission under the pretense of getting a huge shipment of drugs (or maybe guns) from a rival faction and then everything will be square.

But that's a lie. There are no drugs. The actual target is the one man who can identify Keyser by appearance. He's on the boat. But the only way Keyser/Kint can get close enough to kill him is with the help of the other guys. While the other three are raiding the ship, looking for the stash, Kint's coming up behind them (as I think Kint was supposed to be 'lookout'), and tying up loose ends.

At the end, everyone involved is either dead or dying, so Keyser assumes that blowing up the boat will kill his target for sure. Unfortunately for him, the one living guy that they fish out of the harbor just happens to be that guy. He doesn't know, or really even assume, that there were any survivors the whole time he's being grilled in interrogation.

He could have fabricated the whole backstabbing reasons "You pulled a heist that Soze had his eyes on. You robbed one of his business fronts. You conned his friend out of 10 grand..." and just known enough about these guys that they would be desperate enough to not want to be on his poo poo list to do whatever that took. Even if they did accidentally muscle in on his territory, they are much more valuable to him as pawns then whatever money may have been lost in the venture. Or maybe this is a two birds with one stone kind of deal. He gets revenge, and no one involved lives to tell the tale but him, and the myth of Keyser Soze continues to grow.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009
I'm not sure if this one has been posted already, but here it is.

In Die Hard, the character Harry Ellis is shown to be a pretty raging cocaine-addict. He's doing lines on desks, constantly sniffing, has the cocaine laugh, etc.

About mid-way through the movie, Harry decides that he is going to try to negotiate with the terrorists that are holding him hostage. He bursts in on the head of their operation, Hans Gruber, and immediately starts a used-car salesman routine. Then, there is a cut-away to John Mclane (probably for dramatic tension).

This is where the subtlety happens: In the next scene, Ellis is seemingly being treated quite kindly by the terrorists. One of them even pours him a coke on ice, and it fizzes in the foreground. I always assumed that the terrorists pouring Ellis a drink was supposed to show their faux-good faith, and nothing else. But recently, it struck me:

Chances are, during the cut-away, Hans asked Ellis if he wanted anything. Do you think Ellis asked for "coca cola" or "some coke"?

If you watch, Ellis doesn't really acknowledge the drink.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I'm not sure if this one has been posted already, but here it is.

In Die Hard, the character Harry Ellis is shown to be a pretty raging cocaine-addict. He's doing lines on desks, constantly sniffing, has the cocaine laugh, etc.

About mid-way through the movie, Harry decides that he is going to try to negotiate with the terrorists that are holding him hostage. He bursts in on the head of their operation, Hans Gruber, and immediately starts a used-car salesman routine. Then, there is a cut-away to John Mclane (probably for dramatic tension).

This is where the subtlety happens: In the next scene, Ellis is seemingly being treated quite kindly by the terrorists. One of them even pours him a coke on ice, and it fizzes in the foreground. I always assumed that the terrorists pouring Ellis a drink was supposed to show their faux-good faith, and nothing else. But recently, it struck me:

Chances are, during the cut-away, Hans asked Ellis if he wanted anything. Do you think Ellis asked for "coca cola" or "some coke"?

If you watch, Ellis doesn't really acknowledge the drink.
Haha. I thought you were going to say that he (Ellis) offered them (the terrorists) some of his stash and that's why they were briefly nice to him.

Other than that, it's at least got coke symbolism underneath it.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

sebmojo posted:

He stops being defeated by doors after he is turned into the keymaster. The last one that beats him causes the dog-form keymaster to catch up with him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CzarChasm posted:

Not putting up spoilers for an almost 20 year old movie, and the big twist was already discussed earlier.

It's been a little while since I've seen the movie, but IIRC, Keyser sends Kobyashi to the group with the big bad bogeyman story, and that each of those men had betrayed Keyser without knowing it. So, in order to let bygones be bygones he sends them on a suicide mission under the pretense of getting a huge shipment of drugs (or maybe guns) from a rival faction and then everything will be square.

But that's a lie. There are no drugs. The actual target is the one man who can identify Keyser by appearance. He's on the boat. But the only way Keyser/Kint can get close enough to kill him is with the help of the other guys. While the other three are raiding the ship, looking for the stash, Kint's coming up behind them (as I think Kint was supposed to be 'lookout'), and tying up loose ends.

At the end, everyone involved is either dead or dying, so Keyser assumes that blowing up the boat will kill his target for sure. Unfortunately for him, the one living guy that they fish out of the harbor just happens to be that guy. He doesn't know, or really even assume, that there were any survivors the whole time he's being grilled in interrogation.

He could have fabricated the whole backstabbing reasons "You pulled a heist that Soze had his eyes on. You robbed one of his business fronts. You conned his friend out of 10 grand..." and just known enough about these guys that they would be desperate enough to not want to be on his poo poo list to do whatever that took. Even if they did accidentally muscle in on his territory, they are much more valuable to him as pawns then whatever money may have been lost in the venture. Or maybe this is a two birds with one stone kind of deal. He gets revenge, and no one involved lives to tell the tale but him, and the myth of Keyser Soze continues to grow.

Kobayashi is also a fabrication; Verbal takes the name from the underside of Kujan's coffee cup.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Jedit posted:

Kobayashi is also a fabrication; Verbal takes the name from the underside of Kujan's coffee cup.

The name is a fabrication. Whether or not there was a lawyer acting as an intermediary between Soze and the gang is unknown. However, Pete Postlethwaite is a "real" person in the movie - see see him in a non-flashback at the end picking up Kint. Of course, he could just be Kint's driver...

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In the beginning of Shaun of the Dead, Shaun is chatting to Liz on the phone while in front of a coworker. He mimes the whole "so bored I shoot myself and the brains fly out" thing while listening to Liz talk about dinner reservations.

At the end of movie, when Shaun, Liz, and Ed lock themselves in the cellar, Shaun does more or less the same motions while discussing the plan to shoot Liz and then himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

DentArthurDent posted:

The name is a fabrication....

I always assumed 'Verbal' was a bit of a double-entendre as well, since the name literally means "relating to or in the form of words", since he's constructing the story from words glimpsed around the office.