Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At least this episode of SVU is actually about a sex crime and not monkeys or Robin Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

I flipped by Law & Order SVU for the first time in a couple of years and this episode started off with a not-Daniel Tosh making rape jokes followed by a girl yelling at him that rape is not funny, then storming out after he made more rape jokes at her expense. Immediately upon leaving, she of course is raped by a couple of bros who parrot not-Tosh (whose name is actually "Josh" :rolleye:)'s jokes as they do it.

This goddamned show.

Would have been way better if not-Daniel Tosh was the one who got raped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently Matthew McConaughey's first acting role was as a renactor on Unsolved Mysteries.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I've seen so many ads for Mixology I feel like I should reward ABC for the effort they put into marketing. I think I've seen more commercials for it before the premiere than I did for all of Arrested Development's initial run.

So far it's basically everything I expected, a show that's trying way too hard to be cool and edgy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Deadpool posted:

The jump in quality in season two of Revolution may be the biggest jump in quality I've ever seen between seasons on a show. It's pretty jarring actually.

Both being Kripke kids I'd say it's about the same for REVOLUTION as it is SUPERNATURAL around S02-S03 or so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished season 1 of House of Cards. That was awesome. I can't wait to see season 2 because I've heard it's even crazier, although I don't know how that could be. And ain't no way I'm setting foot in the dedicated thread if there's no spoiler tags in there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

Sure I'm not the only one who is incredibly sick of all the super hero stuff being produced right now? If it's not The Tick, I just can't bring myself to care.

I really only watch genre television these days with very very few exceptions (Hannibal, Longmire, True Detective)so for me all this superhero stuff is great.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

The jump in quality in season two of Revolution may be the biggest jump in quality I've ever seen between seasons on a show. It's pretty jarring actually.
Actually, I thought the second half of Revolution season 1 was already pretty much a big improvement (a few episodes after the midseason break anyway). Been meaning to get around to getting through S2, I'm maybe 3 or 4 episodes in right now.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
The thing with the end of tonight's Revolution is obvious, isn't it? I mean, it's just the nanites creating some alternate reality in the dude's mind to prevent him from completing his work on the virus?

If it's anything else, then I'll be surprised.

Either way, I totally agree that Season 2 is legitimately enjoyable television, unlike season one, which I mostly watched begrudgingly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope that it's not that, since as you say it's the incredibly obvious thing, so obvious that it completely removes any significance of it happening at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

I hope that it's not that, since as you say it's the incredibly obvious thing, so obvious that it completely removes any significance of it happening at all.

Given what we've seen of the show so far that's literally the only thing it could be. And if it's not that it doesn't make any sense at all. I know people like zany twists just for the hell of it sometimes, but in this case it would be pretty stupid if this is not the case.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

soapgish posted:

Both being Kripke kids I'd say it's about the same for REVOLUTION as it is SUPERNATURAL around S02-S03 or so.

drat, I totally forgot Revolution was Kripke. Now I'm really annoyed I gave up on it last season. It has to be too late to catch all th S2 episode on On Demand and too early for Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

precision posted:

Well... So the goony computer guy that created the nanobots, who some people are thinking of as "God" and who have AI and so forth, he rewrites their code to give God a virus essentially. Then suddenly Aaron wakes up in a 2014 that's noticeably more modern than our own, and in the previews he insists that he was in a world where the power had gone out and nobody believes him, including the other characters on the show. So who knows what the gently caress is happening, it's crazy.

*Queue's up Revolution*

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the pilot of Mixology, mostly because I wanted to see what Ginger Gonzaga was up to after leaving The Morning After.

It was exactly what you expected, which is to say, bad. Really bad.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is it possible to jump to S2 of Revolution without getting too confused?

Previously I've only made it halfway through the pilot before turning it off.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Idran posted:

I thought she wasn't written as ditzy until Nextwave? And that was mid-to-late 2000s.

She was great in Nextwave, but that's because Nextwave is genius (and nearly, but not totally in continuity). Outside her personality is - like all the guys and gals from Nextwave - more toned down. But she was great in Hopeless' Cable and X-Force-book just recently.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VodeAndreas posted:

Is it possible to jump to S2 of Revolution without getting too confused?

Previously I've only made it halfway through the pilot before turning it off.

I gave it like 3 episodes but it was boring and terrible and having a guy who looks kind of like Obama going around and rounding up people's guns left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe when season 2 is done and on streaming I'll give it another shot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I tried to watch the pilot for Starcrossed and had to stop with just about 10 minutes left. It was dull, uninteresting and completely generic. Even the limited use of computer effects felt really bad for the show.

I did get a solid laugh though out of the guy having a freak out for the news team. It felt like a South Park moment, like Randy should be there getting dragged away while screaming, "What? I thought this was America!"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

having a guy who looks kind of like Obama going around and rounding up people's guns left a bad taste in my mouth.

:laffo:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Neville is one of the best drat characters now too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Schwimmer is the best character.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm getting into House of Cards and it's so delightful :allears:

Glad I was so lazy last year, because now I have two seasons to catch up on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I gave it like 3 episodes but it was boring and terrible and having a guy who looks kind of like Obama going around and rounding up people's guns left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe when season 2 is done and on streaming I'll give it another shot.

The guy he's talking about is Giancarlo Esposito, just so everyone who hasn't seen Revolution understands how dumb that was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Minka Kelley is not at all terrible in Friday Night Lights, why is she so bad in Almost Human?!

Also season 2 of FNL isn't nearly as bad as I feared. The plots that sound utterly retarded on paper aren't actually that bad.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Aphrodite posted:

The guy he's talking about is Giancarlo Esposito, just so everyone who hasn't seen Revolution understands how dumb that was.

It's only dumb that he doesn't know the great Giancarlo Esposito. Saying he looks like Obama isn't a big deal-- some people look alike. The ears, the cheeks, the hair. He does have a striking resemblance to the President at times.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

Minka Kelley is not at all terrible in Friday Night Lights, why is she so bad in Almost Human?!

I've come to realize that it might be the part rather than the acting. She literally plays a person who has been genetically engineered/enhanced before birth to be more perfect than a real human being, so perhaps the character description called for her to act robotic and stilted to illustrate what gets lots when you try to create the perfect human and take away what actually makes them human.

The title of the show refers to both Dorian and her, not just the former.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Joramun posted:

I've come to realize that it might be the part rather than the acting. She literally plays a person who has been genetically engineered/enhanced before birth to be more perfect than a real human being, so perhaps the character description called for her to act robotic and stilted to illustrate what gets lots when you try to create the perfect human and take away what actually makes them human.

Exept that we only now found out about the genetically engineered humans ("we" being the audience, apparently genetically enhanced people are common in universe, common enough to have a slur thrown at them) So unless I missed something in the last 10 episodes (which, to be fair, is possible, I like Almost Human, but True Detective it ain't) she's been a poo poo actor for months now.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Yeah, you need to watch more closely. They already revealed that several episodes ago. Also they aired the episodes out of order, the episode where they reveal what chromes are was actually produced and intended to air as one of the first of the season. So the only party to blame for that is Fox.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Joramun posted:

Yeah, you need to watch more closely. They already revealed that several episodes ago. Also they aired the episodes out of order, the episode where they reveal what chromes are was actually produced and intended to air as one of the first of the season. So the only party to blame for that is Fox.

I knew Fox was loving with the order, but to put one of the first episodes this late? Damm. And do you remember when they mentioned her being genetically altered before? I know they mentioned her parent being rich, was it on the same episode?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joramun posted:

There are only two sins the Lord cannot forgive, blaspheming the Holy Spirit and defending Minka Kelly's acting.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Vincent posted:

I knew Fox was loving with the order, but to put one of the first episodes this late? Damm. And do you remember when they mentioned her being genetically altered before? I know they mentioned her parent being rich, was it on the same episode?

Yep, it was in You Are Here, shot as the second episode but aired as the eighth(!).

Fox is just really dumb. It could have been explained right from the second episode if they had just stuck with the intended order.

zoux posted:

There are only two sins the Lord cannot forgive, blaspheming the Holy Spirit and defending Minka Kelly's acting.

I'm not defending it, just offering an in-universe explanation for it. The engineers aren't quite there yet with the androids like Dorian, and went too far with the chromes like Valerie. Through them, the writers approach the show's central concept and title from opposite sides, which is a neat and interesting spin.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 27, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Just started on Parks and Rec, what a great show. It's nice to have a woman as the main character, and Aziz is fabulous.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bown posted:

uhh I was referring to stuff like the episode that ends with Sam and Frasier locking Diane and Lilith in the bathroom and going out for cigars (or Diane's whole 'emotionally unstable woman' persona in general, I mean they literally gave her a nervous breakdown over a breakup) but yeah sure.

Been a while since I checked in, so this is hella late, but I freaking love Diane after finishing the first season of Cheers the other day. Basically Shelly Long took what should be a really hard character to take (over-bearing snobby know-it-all) and made her essentially a sweet, goofy, wear her heart on her sleeve...know-it-all. All the characters in Cheers really do have a good helping of unappealing characteristics, that make them even more likeable, combining sour and sugar to make the whole more interesting than most comedy characters running around today. The show is not going to be as laugh a minute as today's best comedies, and is entirely more languid and slack, but man, that might be the reason why I find the cast so easy to watch.

It wasn't the jokes that had necessarily me marathoning Cheers so easily (something that the show isn't particularly made for, as much as Parks & Rec, due to a lack of season long arcs). It was to check in with the characters and the bar, and catch up on what they were up to in any given week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shageletic posted:

Been a while since I checked in, so this is hella late, but I freaking love Diane after finishing the first season of Cheers the other day. Basically Shelly Long took what should be a really hard character to take (over-bearing snobby know-it-all) and made her essentially a sweet, goofy, wear her heart on her sleeve...know-it-all. All the characters in Cheers really do have a good helping of unappealing characteristics, that make them even more likeable, combining sour and sugar to make the whole more interesting than most comedy characters running around today. The show is not going to be as laugh a minute as today's best comedies, and is entirely more languid and slack, but man, that might be the reason why I find the cast so easy to watch.

It wasn't the jokes that had necessarily me marathoning Cheers so easily (something that the show isn't particularly made for, as much as Parks & Rec, due to a lack of season long arcs). It was to check in with the characters and the bar, and catch up on what they were up to in any given week.

There is also the fact that Dianie and Sam are posion together. Whenever they are together they destroy everyone and everything around them. You also have to remember that Diane first got dumped by her married boyfriend and the first real relationship that she was in was with Sam. They broke up and its not shocking that she went nuts. I mean Sam also went nuts in his own way. The meltdown also gave us Frasier so its good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't watched Legit from last night, but the very fact its called Loveline and the thumbnail I can see for the episode looks like at least Drew is involved has me itching to see it. Shame they haven't paired it with something else to make it thread worthy as the one last year was slow, but it was fun to read regardless. It's a good TV show.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Shame they haven't paired it with something else to make it thread worthy as the one last year was slow

Who cares? Just make a thread even if it gets only three posts. It doesn't take up any physical space or anything, nor does it take up any scarce resources.

Combining two different shows into one thread is one of the most nonsensical customs of this forum anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it was DP who was going to make a thread but decided against it to keep the chat in here, happy to respect that.

And combining multiple shows into a thread works pretty good for small shows that don't get huge amount of hits because it brings people into shows they might not see otherwise, and most of the time there's a good reason to link them. It's not like the goddamned Adult Swim thread which is just a waste of time unless you spend half your life in ADTRW.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's probably not good that two of the most prolific posters on this forum have the acronym "DP".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To make this simple I think it's best we just consider both of them slackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

To make this simple I think it's best we just consider both of them slackers.

Just like their fathers.

• Locked thread