Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So, favorite supporting characters?

Mine's gotta be the Erlking. I love how he goes from an unknown, menacing if not exactly malevolent force to a more defined character that grudgingly respects Harry's moxie. His (or rather, Harry's} appearance in Changes was just too perfect. On my first Cold Days read, the instant Harry sees a "depressingly familiar" person at the party, I knew, and got super pumped, and of course the clamax of Cold Days is so loving :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Unlike a lot of people, I don't like Toot-Toot as a character; he's too "random monkeycheese" for my tastes. Another boring character is Lara Raith. I get that she's supposed to be an archetype, but she's a boring archetype.

But one of my favorite characters is probably Marcone, simply because he seems to take everything involving Dresden in stride, and doesn't panic like every other mortal character. I haven't read the short story from his viewpoint, but he seems to have the view that "The supernatural world exists. How do I kill or contain it?"

Anyone who can snark back at Harry is automatically on my list of favorites though. Except Lara, because she's boring.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Gygaxian posted:

"The supernatural world exists. How do I kill or contain profit from it?"

You're forgetting who we're talking about here :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

You're forgetting who we're talking about here :v:

I like the way he goes from "prevent this stuff affecting my business" to "use this stuff to enhance my business" to "make this stuff my business".

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

docbeard posted:

Implied to be the one who blew up Murphy's car in White Night too, yeah?

The one big thing I wish had been clearer in Proven Guilty is just what the point of Mab's elite guard grabbing Molly actually was. It certainly helps set up things like Lea's continuing interest in training Molly and ultimately her becoming the next Winter Lady, and I feel like, in retrospect, it was also Mab's twisted idea of a Harry Dresden-specific distress call. But it definitely felt dissatisfying at the time.

I think Mab was out of the planning on this entirely. Based on what we learned in Cold Days infected-Maeve was behind just about everything that didn't "make sense" from winter. She probably sent the fetches to grab Molly, with the hope that Harry would charge in and then free infected-Lea, who would go off and infect more people. It was kind of all one big Nemesis ploy: attack the wizards with Outsiders, attack Arcis Tor with hellfire to depose Mab and put Maeve in power, and have Harry wander in to free his infected godmother. I imagine Molly started to be eyed as a potential asset only after Mab realized Maeve had gone off the deep end.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
There are so many thing I want included in this next book that honestly there is almost no way they could all be included. I really want to know how the white council will react along with Grandpa Mccoy. I have a feeling though it won't be in this book...so 2 more years of waiting.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gygaxian posted:

Unlike a lot of people, I don't like Toot-Toot as a character; he's too "random monkeycheese" for my tastes. Another boring character is Lara Raith. I get that she's supposed to be an archetype, but she's a boring archetype.
I like Toot. Seeing him grow and turn into a badass is great.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013
I always love reading scenes with Ebenezar McCoy. Having a character who could credibly put up with Harry's crap takes some effort, and Hoss comes of nicely for that. He might not be the best supporting character, but I'll happily offer him up as favorite.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My favorite tertiary supporting character is Sanya. Or maybe Butters.

They both own.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ghetto Prince posted:

Think I found the first four chapters of Skin Game. I have no idea where this is from or who made it, but it seems like Butcher's style. :shrug:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZUz6HIsRhWXMrlp37Pw7X6CYPkg5xeaswDiqy0tZOQE/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Chalk up one more ancient entity that Harry's named.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I think that's a transcript of the youtube of Jim himself reading out those very chapters, just by the by.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, heads up.

The Morgue Drawer Four series is part of the deal of the day at Amazon right now, for Kindle. $1.99 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks...rd_p=1725149102

Here's the blurb

I enjoyed it quite a bit when I read it, several months ago.

The book is German As gently caress in much the same way that Rivers of London or The Rook are, well, London as gently caress. There are some colloquialisms and odd turns of phrase. The books were apparently written in German and translated, so there are some weird translation issues here and there also.

The writing is pedestrian (probably because of the translation), but really quite funny. This is definitely a lighthearted novel.

I've not read the second or third book yet, but I bought them because at $2, why not?

Thanks for the recommendation on these. I'm partway into the first book and so far it's fun, though the narration is a little weird, both for the reasons you mention and just because of the narrator himself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks for the recommendation on these. I'm partway into the first book and so far it's fun, though the narration is a little weird, both for the reasons you mention and just because of the narrator himself.

I'm actually not enjoying the second one. I'm only three chapters in and I want to punch the narrator so hard for being a dick, to the point that I haven't picked up the book in a couple days.

I hope it gets better once the plot is established.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I loved Michael from the first page we meet him and I was pretty bummed when he was taken out of the main supporting cast. He's a quiet force for good in a hosed up world. And he isn't willing to compromise for results. He was also really the first person we saw early Harry open up to as a friend, and I think a big part of why Harry learns that he can trust people and accept their help.

I really hope the rumors are true about Skin Game and his possible return to the main cast.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

I loved Michael from the first page we meet him and I was pretty bummed when he was taken out of the main supporting cast. He's a quiet force for good in a hosed up world. And he isn't willing to compromise for results. He was also really the first person we saw early Harry open up to as a friend, and I think a big part of why Harry learns that he can trust people and accept their help.

I really hope the rumors are true about Skin Game and his possible return to the main cast.

If he does come back I don't see him surviving. If he gets in a fight he would lack the protection provided to the sword wielders

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

mistaya posted:

Really? I'm glad he left the series ,it was already weird when he sent his unstable teenage daughter to live with his half crazy 40 something year old friend who's literally possessed by a demon , but then all his kids turn out to be magic , and oh, he's a direct descendant of King Arthur and oh, that magic sword is Excalibur and ect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ghetto Prince posted:

Really? I'm glad he left the series ,it was already weird when he sent his unstable teenage daughter to live with his half crazy 40 something year old friend who's literally possessed by a demon , but then all his kids turn out to be magic , and oh, he's a direct descendant of King Arthur and oh, that magic sword is Excalibur and ect.

To be fair she was still living at home. She was just going to school with Harry.

She doesn't actually move out of her parent's home until Ghost Story.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I never liked Michael. He was just too much of the perfect good guy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Khizan posted:

I never liked Michael. He was just too much of the perfect good guy.
He's the hero to Harry's antihero, and he works well for that.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

:psyduck:

Molly wasn't going to give up her magic the way Charity did, so sending her to train with Harry who was a good friend of the family (remember he's soulgazed Michael!) was a lot better than letting her run off and break more laws of magic on her own. Harry was never anything but professional and nice to Molly and he was over at the Carpenter's house all the time.

Molly was going to be executed by the Council. She's only alive because Harry agreed to take responsibility for her.

None of the other kids have shown any magical talent that I can remember, and his oldest boy is probably going to have issues with not being able to take up his Dad's sword (we already saw hints of that in Ghost Story).

All three of the swords are special, how you can hold that against Michael I don't know.

Pendent posted:

If he does come back I don't see him surviving. If he gets in a fight he would lack the protection provided to the sword wielders

Bringing him back JUST to kill him off would be so cheap. I don't think that's a card Butcher is going to play.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I really think michael deserves his happily ever after, and I'd be irritated if he regressed his personal timeline to play the hero again. Let the man live, and if you absolutely have to gently caress with the carpenter household even more (please no) he has a couple of kids the right age for it.

I'd much rather see a -brand new knight- from somewhere else. I think there's more than enough room for an interesting character there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anias posted:

I really think michael deserves his happily ever after, and I'd be irritated if he regressed his personal timeline to play the hero again. Let the man live, and if you absolutely have to gently caress with the carpenter household even more (please no) he has a couple of kids the right age for it.

I'd much rather see a -brand new knight- from somewhere else. I think there's more than enough room for an interesting character there.
It'd be interesting if Daniel was chosen by Fidelacchius.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

It'd be interesting if Daniel was chosen by Fidelacchius.

If anyone it's gonna be Murphy, as for why Micheal'd even be in the story it would be because of fall out from Cold Days, that's going to be a tough conversation for Molly to have with her dad, who will fairly or unfairly in some way blame Harry.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It doesn't even have to be as a Knight. It's not like Butters or Forthill go into battle next to Harry. You can still be part of the cast without having to be part of the fighting, but Michael hasn't had any dialogue in the main books since he was retired. Harry's going to have to stop avoiding people at some point, Michael has his freaking daughter for chrissakes. If he goes over there and the adults are conveniently missing again I might implode.

I want to see Charity make him some armor. He is the Winter Knight after all.

I'd like to see Ramirez again too.

VVVV-They never let him keep the nifty fae armor though!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 27, 2014

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

mistaya posted:

Seems kind of like a downgrade from nifty fae gear.

That said, one does not simply refuse Charity Carpenter.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

mistaya posted:

It doesn't even have to be as a Knight. It's not like Butters or Forthill go into battle next to Harry. You can still be part of the cast without having to be part of the fighting, but Michael hasn't had any dialogue in the main books since he was retired. Harry's going to have to stop avoiding people at some point, Michael has his freaking daughter for chrissakes. If he goes over there and the adults are conveniently missing again I might implode.

I'd like to see Ramirez again too.

Yeah he should definitely go into Faerie with Iron gear, probably a good idea, although it would be the Dresden sort of thing to do I suppose. Like I said I believe Micheals role will be primarily around the fall out of the Cold days outcome. That's likely at least a chapter, and hey, Maybe we get some more Sanja too!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

He wouldn't even be able to wear steel now anyway so it would have to be made of something else. I dunno, it's not like I can convince people to like the Carpenters but I always did. :(

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Encasing himself in something that causes him enormous amounts of pain is a pretty Dresden move.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mistaya posted:

He wouldn't even be able to wear steel now anyway so it would have to be made of something else.

He can wear steel, it just can't break his skin. Example: Picking up a nail doesn't hurt Harry at all, but stabbing it into Fix disrupts Fix's mantle. Etc, etc.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SageSepthAtWork posted:

Yeah he should definitely go into Faerie with Iron gear, probably a good idea, although it would be the Dresden sort of thing to do I suppose.

Maybe not the Faerie, but if he was to do something really stupid like go to hades some armor with a bit of divinity rubbed off on it might be pretty handy.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

mistaya posted:

It doesn't even have to be as a Knight. It's not like Butters or Forthill go into battle next to Harry. You can still be part of the cast without having to be part of the fighting, but Michael hasn't had any dialogue in the main books since he was retired.

What if Michael taught him how to use a sword better? No fighting needed and Michael is supposedly a master swordsman, charity can spar with Harry.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mostly hope we don't see Michael return to 'active duty' because it's been established that he's a lot happier in retirement than he's been for a long time. (Wasn't that the entire point of The Warrior?)

I'd love to see him around more as a character, though.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

mistaya posted:

More like Uriel flies down to hell wielding one of the swords

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm pretty sure that had to do with a publisher deal or something similar. IIRC the series was intended to end at Proven Guilty but, was successful to the point they wanted it to continue. I'll try to find some quotes about it.

E: I haven't been able to find any support for this.

He talked about it at the signing for turncoat I went to. His initial contract was for 8 books, and while by the time of PG there was no real doubt he would get another contract, he ended it calling out a bunch of hanging threads just in case the publisher needed a nudge

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
I have to thank this thread for recommending Rivers of London to me. I plowed through them all over the course of a couple weekends, and they are (as recently noted) London as gently caress. And that's not a bad thing. I am quite looking forward to reading Foxglove Summer when it comes out later this year.

...It'll give me something to look forward to after I finish Skin Game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The last book of Rivers of London felt really off to me, I'm starting to feel that we should have a bigger picture than we currently do.

Also, I reread the books in the Atrocity Archives series recently, they are not as fun as I remember. The IT talk after taking classes in IT just makes me want to roll my eyes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Exmond posted:

More like Uriel flies down to hell wielding one of the swords

This makes no sense. Uriel wouldn't *need* the sword

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Yo, he's gotta flex his e-peen somehow :v:

That said, I get the impression that Uriel works more like the White Court and rarely takes a direct hand in things.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

yah, everything that's been indicated so far indicate that the swords are focus items for angelic 'possession'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

OptimusWang posted:

Yo, he's gotta flex his e-peen somehow :v:

That said, I get the impression that Uriel works more like the White Court and rarely takes a direct hand in things.

Well yeah, the direct approach is Michael's job.
(No, the other Michael. Yes, that one.)

• Locked thread