Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

E-Tank posted:

:stare:

I'm going to hope against hope it's not like the old british poo poo that had mercury in it.

Probably not. Some of them use titanium dioxide, for added UV-blocking effect, some of them use natural fruit extracts, and some use placenta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Nyarai posted:

Wiki's not being at all helpful, and I'm not gonna watch the movie. What was the race issue in Lady in the Water?

Welp, there are two major Korean characters, an old cranky dragon lady and her sexy hoochie mama daughter, who are so offensively broad and stereotypical that words can't really do it justice. (Imagine Ms. Swan from MadTV and the "me so horny" prostitute from Full Metal Jacket.) That movie also has the five Mexican sisters who believe a cockroach is literally a demon, which is directly echoed in Shyamalan's Devil where a Latino security guard is so cravenly superstitious he uses a piece of toast landing face down as proof that the devil is haunting their building.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 27, 2014

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The lack of diversity is Hollywood is a joke, or stuff like Black Hawk Down where the Somalians are almost inhuman monsters on that movie. Though I do love the reaction of nerds whenever a prominent character is changed to being black from white. Hemidall from the Thor probably being the most well known of that. I remember seeing some of that when they showed that the new Human Torch was to be played by a Black man. Though I haven't heard much since so I'm assuming the fury has died down a bit.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Remember how mad people got that the black characters in The Hunger Games were played by black actors in the movie?

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 27, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Me in green. This person tends to just hit and run with this stuff. This is the worst thing I've seen in my feed lately.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Me in green. This person tends to just hit and run with this stuff. This is the worst thing I've seen in my feed lately.

All I can see are dicks in this image.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

TerminalSaint posted:

Remember how mad people got that the black characters in The Hunger Games were played by black actors in the movie?

I'd like to know how "...She has bright, dark eyes and satiny brown skin..." means anything besides black to these people?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

constantIllusion posted:

I'd like to know how "...She has bright, dark eyes and satiny brown skin..." means anything besides black to these people?

I'd also like to know how a person who wrote the descriptor "bright, dark" can call themselves a writer.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

StealthArcher posted:

I'd also like to know how a person who wrote the descriptor "bright, dark" can call themselves a writer.

Dark brown eyes perhaps?

Mind you no one ever accused Suzanne Collins at being skilled at actually writing her books. Great ideas, terrible, terrible writing.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Bright in this case meaning intelligent, but yeah it is pretty poorly worded.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

The lack of diversity is Hollywood is a joke, or stuff like Black Hawk Down where the Somalians are almost inhuman monsters on that movie. Though I do love the reaction of nerds whenever a prominent character is changed to being black from white. Hemidall from the Thor probably being the most well known of that. I remember seeing some of that when they showed that the new Human Torch was to be played by a Black man. Though I haven't heard much since so I'm assuming the fury has died down a bit.

Nope.

http://cheezburger.com/8074050560#comments

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

constantIllusion posted:

Well, they could be people like me who don't have strongly visual imaginations. Consequently, I almost always skim over/forget visual descriptions in stories unless they're specifically relevant. (Of course, in Hunger Games, the concentration of black people into that district helps to localize it to the former-South, as well as putting a point on how bad the system was by showing that once again black people were largely confined to manual labor on plantations.)

Alternately, they could be racist enough that even when reading "brown skin" they still just imagine a white person with a dark complexion and/or a tan. I suppose you could also make something of the fact that race is a social construct and say that a racist American saying they imagine someone as white really means they imagine them as part of the in-group, regardless of their skin color. They empathize with Rue so much that she necessarily must be white to them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Agents are GO! posted:

All I can see are dicks in this image.

They're biceps dude. Big manly biceps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

constantIllusion posted:

Mornacale posted:

Alternately, they could be racist enough that even when reading "brown skin" they still just imagine a white person with a dark complexion and/or a tan.
I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but reading the snippet without any further context or location, I imagined a person of South Asian descent.

That may just be because we were talking about India and skin tone just before it.

Or maybe it is because I am the real racist. :ohdear:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

John Charity Spring posted:

They're biceps dude. Big manly biceps.

Then they need more veins.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Here are some choice comments from that page, for people who don't feel like clicking through.

Literally a person being super racist who says that the studio only did this so that they would avoid looking racist. Including the white main character becoming a bitter and angry villain because he was replaced by a black man.

Your typical "These characters created in the 1960s are all white and nothing can ever change ever" comment.

Black people only belong in movies specifically created to feature black people.

But this one really just takes the cake. "Black people are incapable of acting 'normal' because they are all gangsters at heart", I poo poo you not.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

But this one really just takes the cake. "Black people are incapable of acting 'normal' because they are all gangsters at heart", I poo poo you not.

loving Will Smith is the epitome of "gangsta" to this guy.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

loving Will Smith is the epitome of "gangsta" to this guy.

Yeah I read that and stopped reading cause Jesus Christ nerds are just the worst. I love the only Ben Grimm or Mister Fantastic bring Black would have been okay. I would bet all the money I have that they would have been even more up in arms in Mister Fantastic was black and Sue Storm white.

Though I'm reminded, a friend of mine has been playing Star Trek Attack Wing, so he's watching DS9 and he's complaint to me about them putting modern day racial problems in the show instead of through the lens of alien species. He's also the toe that think women are bad programmers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A black Mister Fantastic would be awesome, but what I'd really like to see the reaction to is a black Bruce Wayne.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it came from facebook

Some rear end in a top hat posted:

Has anyone ever run into pan-handlers in [neighborhood]? There was a large-framed, well-groomed African American lady at the entrance to [neighborhood] on [street] on Thursday afternoon. She stopped me on my way in to "ask me a question," (I ought to know better, but she looked pretty well put together, so I stopped). She offered to do work for me for money, which was a red flag that somebody her size could be potentially combative. I called the police on the grounds of "suspicious behavior," since I've never seen a panhandler outside of downtown before, particularly one that looked like she was just out for some exercise.

Are you loving serious, "potentially combative" :suicide:

This is on the heels of one instance of armed robbery occurring on the periphery of this tract development I rent in, so whitey is on high alert. In spite of us living in a pretty typical middle class urban neighborhood, the development is a big gentrified incursion into an old area of the city. We literally had the chief of police tell us at the neighborhood meeting last week that we have a very low crime rate.

Nevertheless it's time to freak out and form neighborhood watches and build fences and etc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

quote:

"She offered to do work for me for money, which was a red flag that somebody her size could be potentially combative."

Aside from the obvious "oh god a black person!" subtext, what the gently caress is this sentence even supposed to mean? She asked for work, how does that make her potentially combative? Why is it different for her size as well? If a skinny black person asked for some day labor would it have been non-potentially combative? Or if a fat white lady asked?

This just reads like general paranoia now that I actually think about it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

A black Mister Fantastic would be awesome, but what I'd really like to see the reaction to is a black Bruce Wayne.

The right's disdain for Jay-Z despite being a bootstraps success story :allears:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I've stopped to talk to the same woman. Now, granted, she stands in the middle of the intersection and waves you down like she's in trouble. Who wouldn't stop?

She asks for money, I say I don't carry cash, we exchange pleasantries, I drive away. This has literally zero effect on the proceedings of my day.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Stew Man Chew posted:

it came from facebook

Are you loving serious, "potentially combative" :suicide:

Sometimes, I really wonder if some of those posts are just expert trolls stirring up poo poo with the Freepers. I mean, "This well-dressed black woman offered to do odd jobs for me, so I called the police in fear for my life," is just so ludicrous that it's difficult to take at face value. I'm reminded also of the guy from a couple of weeks back who posted a story that boiled down to, "I parked between two other cars who were there before me and considered setting my dogs loose/opening fire on the occupants of the other two vehicles because they were sort of young." These can't all be real, can they?

(They can :()

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Didn't people get really mad about gay black Spiderman?

I don't really follow comics but I dimly remember hearing about nerds raging about it five or so years ago.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I've always thought it was odd that of all the New Yorker superheroes, maybe a sixth of them were not white. I mean yeah, that made sense in the old days, but now it makes no sense. Why shouldn't the New Yorker superheroes reflect their city more accurately?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Swan Oat posted:

I don't really follow comics but I dimly remember hearing about nerds raging about it five or so years ago.

Maybe not gay black Spiderman but the remote possibility of it being Donald Glover -

https://youtu.be/FjbLCdJwtJM?t=2m55s

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The fact that a black man is going to play a white person's brother reminds me of Heath Ledger's Australian accent in 10 Things I Hate About You, which is set in America. The filmmakers explain it away easily (He's from Australia, duh), but it's still an unnecessary and distracting detail that only existed because of a limitation of the actor. The inter-racial siblings in Fantastic Four will be explained away with a line of dialogue and after that people are gonna shut the gently caress up and watch the movie, but at the same time I doubt the filmmakers went with this casting because they sincerely thought the movie would be improved by a subplot about interracial families (and I say that coming from an interracial family). I mean, I know we all hate nerds and their pathetic fear of change, but I don't think it's unfair to say this casting feels forced and inorganic.

Swan Oat posted:

I don't remember a gay black Spider-Man but the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book universe replaced Peter Parker with a half-black-half-Dominican a few years ago.

(Also Donald Glover would be a loving awesome Spider-Man.)

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 27, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cosmic rays turning you black is more reasonable than them giving you super powers. :colbert:

Discendo Vox posted:

A black Mister Fantastic would be awesome

You know if they ever did it, they'd pick that movie for him to finally turn evil.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is the name of that website that puts funky names over Facebook posts? I have a thing that made me roll my eyes so far that they looped back over.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Centripetal Horse posted:

Sometimes, I really wonder if some of those posts are just expert trolls stirring up poo poo with the Freepers. I mean, "This well-dressed black woman offered to do odd jobs for me, so I called the police in fear for my life," is just so ludicrous that it's difficult to take at face value. I'm reminded also of the guy from a couple of weeks back who posted a story that boiled down to, "I parked between two other cars who were there before me and considered setting my dogs loose/opening fire on the occupants of the other two vehicles because they were sort of young." These can't all be real, can they?

(They can :()

I've met the guy in question and can assure you he's 100% in earnest.

So are the 10 other people replying to him praising his decision.

These people don't understand humor, much less posting "ironically", much much less posting deliberately ironically in a self-effacing manner to provoke a reaction that could be considered trolling.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

KKKLIP ART posted:

What is the name of that website that puts funky names over Facebook posts? I have a thing that made me roll my eyes so far that they looped back over.

Social Fixer, it's a Chrome extension.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

MisterBadIdea posted:

The fact that a black man is going to play a white person's brother reminds me of Heath Ledger's Australian accent in 10 Things I Hate About You, which is set in America. The filmmakers explain it away easily (He's from Australia, duh), but it's still an unnecessary and distracting detail that only existed because of a limitation of the actor. The inter-racial siblings in Fantastic Four will be explained away with a line of dialogue and after that people are gonna shut the gently caress up and watch the movie, but at the same time I doubt the filmmakers went with this casting because they sincerely thought the movie would be improved by a subplot about interracial families (and I say that coming from an interracial family). I mean, I know we all hate nerds and their pathetic fear of change, but I don't think it's unfair to say this casting feels forced and inorganic.

They could just as easily avoid an awkward explanation of "oh they're half-siblings/interracial parents/adoption/whatever" if they made Sue Storm black too, but then Mr. Fantastic would be married to a black woman onscreen and we can't have that.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

MisterBadIdea posted:

I mean, I know we all hate nerds and their pathetic fear of change, but I don't think it's unfair to say this casting feels forced and inorganic.

The only reason it feels "forced and inorganic" is because it isn't commonly used. In real life, mixed race families are not uncommon at all. The vast majority of people barely blink at it, let alone oppose it. The only way to change the "feeling" of using these depictions is to, guess what, use them.

Today, an interracial kiss would not be seen as anything strange. But the first one ever shown to an audience was part of a plot on Star Trek that had nothing to do with race.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thompsons posted:

They could just as easily avoid an awkward explanation of "oh they're half-siblings/interracial parents/adoption/whatever" if they made Sue Storm black too, but then Mr. Fantastic would be married to a black woman onscreen and we can't have that.

I want this. I would really like this.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Thompsons posted:

I don't think it's the interracial romance angle that scared off Hollywood, it's the fact that they'd have to have more than one black character, and that we certainly can't have. (Also Hollywood has very little use for black actresses for anything besides Tyler Perry movies, so there's no black actress who's a hot up-and-comer the way Michael B. Jordan is.)

But yes, making Sue Storm black would have been absolutely wonderful.

quote:

The only reason it feels "forced and inorganic" is because it isn't commonly used. In real life, mixed race families are not uncommon at all.

Mixed-race families, sure, but adopted siblings/step-siblings of different races? (No, I'm asking seriously, is it that common? Anyone have any stats?)

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 27, 2014

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Xombie posted:

The only reason it feels "forced and inorganic" is because it isn't commonly used. In real life, mixed race families are not uncommon at all. The vast majority of people barely blink at it, let alone oppose it. The only way to change the "feeling" of using these depictions is to, guess what, use them.

Today, an interracial kiss would not be seen as anything strange. But the first one ever shown to an audience was part of a plot on Star Trek that had nothing to do with race.

First lesbian kiss on TV was also on Star Trek.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

MisterBadIdea posted:

I don't think it's the interracial romance angle that scared off Hollywood, it's the fact that they'd have to have more than one black character, and that we certainly can't have. (Also Hollywood has very little use for black actresses for anything besides Tyler Perry movies, so there's no black actress who's a hot up-and-comer the way Michael B. Jordan is.)

But yes, making Sue Storm black would have been absolutely wonderful.

Mixed-race families, sure, but adopted siblings/step-siblings of different races? (No, I'm asking seriously, is it that common? Anyone have any stats?)

Well, for Sue Storm and black actresses, there's Jessica Lucas, who is black, but not "too black" for Hollywood.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Renaissance Robot posted:

You know if they ever did it, they'd pick that movie for him to finally turn evil.

Reed Richards is a stone's throw away from being "evil" at any given second though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I was gonna jump in and put in my two cents about how this guy is just afraid that the old, middle aged, white writers will try to write the character as "street" which, I mean, rewatch MIB some time and kinda cringe when Will Smith is all "Yo G! I'm down wit' DAT homeys!"
But the "there are little differences" is a reference to the actual actor. As if there are no such things as directors or writers and people just show up on a movie set and improv and white people be acting like THIS and black people be acting like thiiiiis.

quote:

don't remember a gay black Spider-Man but the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book universe replaced Peter Parker with a half-black-half-Dominican a few years ago.
Oh god the fury. I finally got fed up with one guy and said "Look, I had years to look up to Spider-Man, if some little black kid wants a hero to look up to I'm ok with that because I'm not loving selfish. I had my Spider-Man, and I STILL have him in back issues and other comics. If someone else needs him than they are more than welcome."

Then I said something about how Spider-Man would agree with me because he's a good guy :blush: