Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You know that you can find the gateway from the subnet and IP info, right? Like, ninety-nine times out of a hundred.

Although, with your luck, it'd be that hundredth time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

The Muffinlord posted:

You know that you can find the gateway from the subnet and IP info, right? Like, ninety-nine times out of a hundred.

Although, with your luck, it'd be that hundredth time...

All the intranet provider did was give us a bank of private IPs. Nothing was setup internally to use them.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So an email went out through a case today.

By me.

And by by me, I mean it had my signature in it but was sent by someone else in my team while the case was assigned to me.

I have no idea why he did it, I wasn't here yesterday but he definitely saw me in here today, it was near the end of the day too, and the live date isn't for another two or three weeks so I don't know what was so time critical about it.

The real kicker though is that the email was asking for information from the client, information that is right at the top of the case description.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

piratepilates posted:

So an email went out through a case today.

By me.

And by by me, I mean it had my signature in it but was sent by someone else in my team while the case was assigned to me.

I have no idea why he did it, I wasn't here yesterday but he definitely saw me in here today, it was near the end of the day too, and the live date isn't for another two or three weeks so I don't know what was so time critical about it.

The real kicker though is that the email was asking for information from the client, information that is right at the top of the case description.

Jeeeeeeeesus. I'd be livid if someone pulled that poo poo. It's one thing if you have a weird ticket system that signs emails for you based on the assignment (ours does, which is insane), but it's absolutely asinine if they manually stuck your name on their own message.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sonic Dude posted:

Jeeeeeeeesus. I'd be livid if someone pulled that poo poo. It's one thing if you have a weird ticket system that signs emails for you based on the assignment (ours does, which is insane), but it's absolutely asinine if they manually stuck your name on their own message.

I don't think I care enough about this job to get that angry over it. The email he sent was also really small and innocuous too, and everyone but the client can see who really sent it so I don't really care too much. The guy is also a more senior member of the team (and by that I mean been here a year longer or so) and used to mentoring people.

But yeah it was a very weird thing to do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Theresa Frontpage posted:

Haha, I love it when people give this advice like it ain't no thang. It's really hard to change jobs and bad managers are everywhere!

I found another job and now I have a manager that thinks that it's better to just release builds without features that aren't ready, than to half rear end them and deal with fallout, or delay the release and pile more crap on, or enforce crunch time. Good jobs and good managers exist :yayclod:

Of course, my imposter syndrome is through the roof so there's that going for me too. :smithcloud:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Volmarias posted:

I found another job and now I have a manager that thinks that it's better to just release builds without features that aren't ready, than to half rear end them and deal with fallout, or delay the release and pile more crap on, or enforce crunch time. Good jobs and good managers exist :yayclod:

Of course, my imposter syndrome is through the roof so there's that going for me too. :smithcloud:

It's time to repost this, then:

No One Knows What the gently caress They’re Doing (or “The 3 Types of Knowledge”)

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

One of my coworkers tends to take a ticket, then proceed to just sit on it for weeks on end. Sometimes the user will eventually call me about an issue I have no idea is happening, then I'll look and see a ticket was opened two weeks ago but I never even read the description because I saw it was already assigned. But then sometimes he'll work a ticket but not pick it up, so I'll take it and contact the user only to find it was already taken care of.

That poo poo drives me crazy. I'm often haranguing people about the importance of good ticket discipline. But for right now my biggest problem is guys taking tickets they don't realize have already been grabbed. We use ServiceNow so unless you're constantly refreshing it can be easy to step on another tech.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

YOTJ Update.

In a holding pattern. I followed up with the company and the guy I would be replacing was given one more chance to prove himself. Based on his previous actions I am fairly confident that he will mess up fairly quickly and be outed.

Ticket Update:
Its almost 8pm and the Account lead still hasn't setup the gateway... way to go me :(

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I could just will a good job for you into existence. 'Cause I'd do it.

I'd probably will everybody you work with to painfully spontaneously combust first, though. I'll PM you if I think I'm making any headway. In the meantime, avoid wearing synthetic fibers.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

The Cubelodyte posted:

I really wish I could just will a good job for you into existence. 'Cause I'd do it.

I'd probably will everybody you work with to painfully spontaneously combust first, though. I'll PM you if I think I'm making any headway. In the meantime, avoid wearing synthetic fibers.

Its not much of a wait, a week Tuesday. Its a 7 days on 7 days off job and hes off shift right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ Update.

In a holding pattern. I followed up with the company and the guy I would be replacing was given one more chance to prove himself. Based on his previous actions I am fairly confident that he will mess up fairly quickly and be outed.

Ticket Update:
Its almost 8pm and the Account lead still hasn't setup the gateway... way to go me :(

You are such a weird fellow sometimes. I would suggest you reread this post of yours until you see everything thats wrong with it. I sincerely mean that. Self reflection is something you seem to really struggle with sometimes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

YOTJ Update.

Ticket Update:

If you were in Boston or Silicon Valley I could hook you up, but you really need to take some time to look at what other people say. Read between the lines.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What are you guys getting at? That the new potential job is stringing him along or is giving their current fuckup a chance? Or that he is staying late be abuse some other idiot can't get up info to him?

Blacksworda, If you knew better that you needed more info then you should insist you need it. You can probably start coordinating people without them even realizing it and possibly make your life easier.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MJP posted:

Side note: my boss is looking at Dell servers, but I've seen a bunch of their recent procurement horror stories here and there. Has anyone in this thread gotten any positive experiences with buying new Dell servers these days, or have they universally gone down the shitter?

Server build quality and support isn't whats at fault here, it's the hilarious inept dell sales reps and intermediaries for VARs.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

What are you guys getting at? That the new potential job is stringing him along or is giving their current fuckup a chance? Or that he is staying late be abuse some other idiot can't get up info to him?

Blacksworda, If you knew better that you needed more info then you should insist you need it. You can probably start coordinating people without them even realizing it and possibly make your life easier.

Yeah, I did make a crappy post didn't I..

First of all, I'm not at work or working from home.. The Account lead went off on me a bit about needing this ping test done today, and when i got back to him that there was no gateway for the range, he seems to be dragging his feet now. Even if he got the info to me right now, I wouldn't do the work until I got in the office in the morning. It just struck me as funny that he was rushing to get this done, and is now dragging his feet on getting his portion done.

As for the other job, I am hopeful for it as it is a good amount of money and a decent shift, but I do have other irons in the fire. I have gotten a few positions from similar situations in the past, but I am not relying on it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

blackswordca posted:

I probably have missed this, but where are you located at?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Moey posted:

I probably have missed this, but where are you located at?

I think Alberta, Canada.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I think Alberta, Canada.

Lying in front of a door it would seem.

Just had a Pentium III running XP SP2 come in, full of water.

Mission. Critical.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

frogbert posted:

Just had a Pentium III running XP SP2 come in, full of water.

Mission. Critical.

Was it hosting your company's primary "everything" Access database? Excel?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FreshFeesh posted:

Was it hosting your company's primary "everything" Access database? Excel?

access database pulling data from an excel spreadsheet.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Please stop joking about using the Sun servers we somehow still have. :smithcloud:

I don't even work in I.T and it makes me uneasy

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

piratepilates posted:

I've had something similar happen to me (commits checked in under my name, when it's very obvious that I am the only one who couldn't have made that commit - commit comment in English, only with all the "L"s and "R"s switched, and every other dev is Japanese - it turns out the code was changed due to a meeting they had where they invited EVERYONE BUT ME) and in that case it was a failing project where they'd obviously decided to blame EVERYTHING on me so be prepared to CYA, hard.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

incoherent posted:

access database pulling data from an excel spreadsheet.
...which gets populated through an excel macro reading data from Filemaker.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Collateral Damage posted:

...which gets populated through an excel macro reading data from Filemaker.

Which is automagically importing something output from Crystal Reports. A WinNT version of Crystal of course.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mllaneza posted:

Which is automagically importing something output from Crystal Reports. A WinNT version of Crystal of course.

Think I've found the source of the data! A 486 running win 3.11 and foxpro

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, what an entitled dick. Between insurance, gas, the actual purchase and maintenance, it costs something like 40-50c/mile to keep a car on the road. He's getting a goddamn bargain.

This is "maintenance" on a car he constantly speeds with and from what I hear, has had a collision 2 days after buying it on the drive to work because motorways are where you go 100mph on because your car can do it right? He's also unreliable as hell and has quite literally left me without a way home without telling me that he's leaving multiple times (in the last two weeks he's done it three times).

Not sorry, gently caress that guy. I'm not paying extra for his lovely driving, dudes gonna kill someone.

Erwin posted:

You seem to think his time is worthless. Perhaps he doesn't want to keep adding 20 minutes to his commute so he upped the cost to make it worthwhile.

See above, I would understand if he was actually driving safely and getting a new car just because and wanted to up the cost due to time, but I believe i've posted a picture of the first crash we had with a truck in the poo poo that's pissing me off thread. He's gotten a new car because he was told to repair it or go to court.

In fact, it looks like i either didn't or its buried, here you are. The very first one, its the only one i've bothered to take a picture of. By the end of it the other side was like that, the bumper was hosed and the car pulled way to the left.

E: Quoted the same person twice. Whoops

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Speed limit for motorways here is 70 I believe. I'm a UK goon

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 27, 2014

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

dogstile posted:

because motorways are where you go 100mph on because your car can do it right?

Actually, they're the place where if you look out for the rozzers and other road users (like everyone should), you'll end up 90mph all day without any problems.

If that's how he treats cars though, he shouldn't even be let on the road.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Westie posted:

Actually, they're the place where if you look out for the rozzers and other road users (like everyone should), you'll end up 90mph all day without any problems.

At least until you enter a HADECS area, encounter a fuckwit doing 50 in the middle lane, or try to use them outside the hours of 8PM - 6AM.

Today I have decided that work is lots of fun, but only if you use Kryten's definition of fun.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

I've had something similar happen to me (commits checked in under my name, when it's very obvious that I am the only one who couldn't have made that commit - commit comment in English, only with all the "L"s and "R"s switched, and every other dev is Japanese - it turns out the code was changed due to a meeting they had where they invited EVERYONE BUT ME) and in that case it was a failing project where they'd obviously decided to blame EVERYTHING on me so be prepared to CYA, hard.

:froggonk:

Time to start signing all of your commits!

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Lum posted:

At least until you enter a HADECS area, encounter a fuckwit doing 50 in the middle lane, or try to use them outside the hours of 8PM - 6AM.

Today I have decided that work is lots of fun, but only if you use Kryten's definition of fun.

HADECS can go die, or at least HADECS 2 - having to sit on the M1 doing 75mph is just total bullshit.

Edit: There's already a HADECS 3? :wtc:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HADECS1 is already dead, thanks to this cock-up (TW: Daily Mail)

Also, most HADECS installs don't take pictures if the signs aren't displaying a speed limit, though the M4/M5 around Bristol seems to be an exception.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

blackswordca posted:

First of all, I'm not at work or working from home.. The Account lead went off on me a bit about needing this ping test done today, and when i got back to him that there was no gateway for the range, he seems to be dragging his feet now. Even if he got the info to me right now, I wouldn't do the work until I got in the office in the morning. It just struck me as funny that he was rushing to get this done, and is now dragging his feet on getting his portion done.

As for the other job, I am hopeful for it as it is a good amount of money and a decent shift, but I do have other irons in the fire. I have gotten a few positions from similar situations in the past, but I am not relying on it.
I actually couldn't tell and was wondering what those other posters were inferring. I myself didn't really get that vibe from your posts. It just seems like you are dutifully working along.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

blackswordca posted:

:butt: the intranet provider has the routes setup, thats all you need
:dance: ...ok

There wasn't any point to arguing so I just waited for him to call me back. Took about 5 minutes. Hes setting up a new Vlan now.

This is objectively wrong. How do you get into any sort of admin position where you get to deal with VLANs without comprehending even basic TCP/IP? Jesus.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how blackswordca's company has any business at all. How does anything get configured properly, much less maintained, for any of their clients? Is it all just churning new clients? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

The Cubelodyte posted:

I don't understand how blackswordca's company has any business at all. How does anything get configured properly, much less maintained, for any of their clients? Is it all just churning new clients? :confused:

Cheapest MSP in the area for a reason!

So an email came in:
a little history. This guy has a lenovo all in one that goes into monitor mode by itself. I talked to lenovo and they sent him a tech with a replacement motherboard. Here is the email I just got from him:

Hourly Customer posted:

The thinkcentre that “Lenovo” repaired under warranty is showing the message again “No signal input. Please check cable connection and / or whether you are in monitor mode.” It was left on a login screen so that it could be accessed with remote desktop. The “Lenovo” tech did not even know how to open the computer and had a very strong body odour.

Today is going to be a fun day.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Guess who spent several hours this morning tracking down a writable floppy disk, a computer with a working A drive, and drivers for a loving ancient RAID controller from a dead company? Holy poo poo I hate XP.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of when I was working IT in a university, we had someone come in to repair a HP laptop keyboard. He swore a lot and when he broke the plastic keyboard ribbon lock he mentioned something like "those drat japs and their tiny hands make these things too drat small"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

:froggonk:

Time to start signing all of your commits!

This was at a 3 letter long Japanese company you'll all have heard of, and everyone used the same login info to commit to an ancient version of Visual SourceSafe, and signing with our initials...
(Then again, pre-P Mark (Japan's voluntary equivalent to the Data Protection Act - literally a copy of the UK law, even) every machine at that company had the local admin password "companynamecompanyname" - tested that at different locations, over a period of several years, while working for different companies.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

This was at a 3 letter long Japanese company you'll all have heard of, and everyone used the same login info to commit to an ancient version of Visual SourceSafe, and signing with our initials...
(Then again, pre-P Mark (Japan's voluntary equivalent to the Data Protection Act - literally a copy of the UK law, even) every machine at that company had the local admin password "companynamecompanyname" - tested that at different locations, over a period of several years, while working for different companies.)

Sorry, for some reason I thought that they were using git. But, if I'm thinking of the same company, this sounds about right from what I've heard.

• Locked thread