Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've never bought a new vehicle from a dealer before, and I work at a bike shop where I sell bikes some of the time. We put almost no effort into the sales. Just answer questions and spend 2 minutes haggling if necessary usually. Partly because the bikes are not worth a lot anyway so it doesn't help us to spend a lot of time pushing them. Had a few customers tell me they liked our sales style. Now I know why. Man. What a bunch of annoying poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Man, I used to feel guilty about asking for a test drive with no intention of buying.

Not so much now.

That said, I did always tell them I had no intention of buying, and never got turned down for a test drive anyway.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite test drive was at a Nissan dealership when there was only a single guy working the whole dealership around lunch time, I told him what I wanted to take a closer look at, he got me the keys, pulled it out front, told me if I had any questions to let him know, but it had a full tank of gas and they closed at 9, have fun.

I don't even remember what I was test driving, or if I even liked it. But I remember everything else about the experience.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I remember my Dad was interested in the supercharged Thunderbird when they came out, and there was this teeny tiny Ford Dealership waaaaaay up in a tiny town, Barton VT. We went in and when my Dad expressed interest in the car, the guy gave him the plate and they keys and said "If you don't come back in 48 hours, I'll just assume you bought it"

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The last new car I bought was a WRX and I dealt directly with the internet sales guy. That had to be the quickest and most painless deal I'd ever done. Now my wife and I have buying from Carmax and have had very good luck. Over the course of a year I had traded the WRX for a Solstice, wife traded a Saab 9-3 Aero for a Camaro SS, and I traded the Solstice back for a Tacoma. We have always come out on the plus side on trade and I think we have gotten pretty good deals on the cars bought. I even came out on the plus side trading the Solstice back after one year.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I miss the plates that said "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bung posted:

The last new car I bought was a WRX and I dealt directly with the internet sales guy. That had to be the quickest and most painless deal I'd ever done. Now my wife and I have buying from Carmax and have had very good luck. Over the course of a year I had traded the WRX for a Solstice, wife traded a Saab 9-3 Aero for a Camaro SS, and I traded the Solstice back for a Tacoma. We have always come out on the plus side on trade and I think we have gotten pretty good deals on the cars bought. I even came out on the plus side trading the Solstice back after one year.

I was pretty happy with CarMax, though I walked in with a general idea of a car in mind (low miles Delta platform w/5 speed, preferably top of the line w/sunroof and keyless entry). Looked on their computer, liked the Ion, and they had it brought in a couple of days later.

All of the paperwork was up front, and every line item was explained in detail. They gave me $1200 for the Altima, when I was planning to toss it on Craigslist for $1500; I gladly took the ~$300 loss just to avoid the hassle of selling it myself (plus I would have gone down to $1200 anyway).

The other dealerships: Jim McNatt Honda was decent, though it was a cash purchase. gently caress the lot I got the Altima from though (tried to go back anyway, they tried to talk me into a 1998 5 speed Camry with bald tires and terrible brakes for $6000 :what: )

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Can finally put this nonsense behind me....

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
:barf: what the hell have they done with the sidelights, also good job on using veilside skirts which literaly only match up to the veilside kit.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shampoo posted:

I remember my Dad was interested in the supercharged Thunderbird when they came out, and there was this teeny tiny Ford Dealership waaaaaay up in a tiny town, Barton VT. We went in and when my Dad expressed interest in the car, the guy gave him the plate and they keys and said "If you don't come back in 48 hours, I'll just assume you bought it"

Nice. Did he end up buying it?

On the flipside to my last story, I showed up at a Toyota dealership in the same town a few minutes after I got done driving the Nissan Whateveritwas, I was in just a helmet and jacket/gloves on my bike so it only took a few seconds to de-gear and leave it on the seat in front of the big glass windows where all the salespeople were.

They all watched me come on the lot, watched me take my gear off, and walk over to look at the car that caught my eye. I spent a few minutes comparing a few different ones on the lot, looked at a few other models, maybe spent ten minutes in total looking at cars.

Nobody even came out to greet me, not even a wave through the windows, but they all watched me put my gear on and leave.

I guess they sold enough cars already for the week. I do remember what I was looking at at the Toyota dealership though, the Matrix. I kind of wish I had gotten one, they still catch my eye when I see one on the road.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

I'm surprised people still do that kind of fiberglass "molding" work at this point. Seems like such a dead "art".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

At least its in decent shape and appears to be a car that someone truly cares about. I'll have to start keeping an eye out for some of what passes for "historic" vehicles here in Ohio. Usually they're rust heaps and the Historic plate status is just the owner doing an end-run around emissions testing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

drukqs posted:

Glad you're done with that nonsense. What a huge bag of crazy. 10 to 1 says they refer to their pets as "furbabies"

:barf:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

drukqs posted:

Requesting open-header full-throttle run when you finally move away.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Requesting open-header full-throttle run when you finally move away.

I second this, especially if it's caught on video. gently caress those people. gently caress them forever.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

PCOS Bill posted:

Nice. Did he end up buying it?

Nope, we were a one car family back then, and Mom wanted a 4 door.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drukqs posted:

When you move out you should weld a bunch of dog whistles to the intake and do a short lap around the neighborhood.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Geoj posted:

At least its in decent shape and appears to be a car that someone truly cares about. I'll have to start keeping an eye out for some of what passes for "historic" vehicles here in Ohio. Usually they're rust heaps and the Historic plate status is just the owner doing an end-run around emissions testing.
It makes me wish I still had the '82 Mercury Grand Marquis that I drove in high school, that thing was classy. I will have to find a picture of it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When you move out you should weld a bunch of dog whistles to the intake and do a short lap of every car around the neighborhood.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

smelly cabin filter posted:

:barf: what the hell have they done with the sidelights, also good job on using veilside skirts which literaly only match up to the veilside kit.

They appear to have deleted the popup headlights and front corner lights and replaced them with JDM S14/S15 (I can never remember which is which) headlights. Talk about ugly.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those are definitely S15 headlights. They also look like they are aimed straight at the ground.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I hate the whole OMGBACON wankfest as much as the next guy, but I find it disturbingly charming that I could order various bacon-themed vinyl wraps for a Ford Fiesta straight from the dealer: http://www.fordcustomgraphics.com/configurator/?model=fiestahatch

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I briefly read the "Done?" button as "What have you Done?"

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

triple clutcher posted:

I hate the whole OMGBACON wankfest as much as the next guy, but I find it disturbingly charming that I could order various bacon-themed vinyl wraps for a Ford Fiesta straight from the dealer: http://www.fordcustomgraphics.com/configurator/?model=fiestahatch

What was that article where they were trying to rebrand entry level chevy's along the same purchasing value as a new iphone or something?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

triple clutcher posted:

You should mention that the whole-car bacon wrap is THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS. :psyduck:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

AirRaid posted:

You should mention that the whole-car bacon wrap is THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS. :psyduck:

Just go ahaed and use real bacon, it'd probably be cheaper.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

triple clutcher posted:

The thing which you neglected to mention here is that THE FIRST ITEM in the graphics customizer is Bacon.

The list is:

Bacon
Hood Graphics
Side Graphics
Stripes
Roof
Kits
Rear Graphics

I'm sorry but that just takes it to a whole different level when Bacon is on the same category level as Stripes.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The thing which you neglected to mention here is that THE FIRST ITEM in the graphics customizer is Bacon.

The list is:

Bacon
Hood Graphics
Side Graphics
Stripes
Roof
Kits
Rear Graphics

I'm sorry but that just takes it to a whole different level when Bacon is on the same category level as Stripes.

Why the hell dont they have Bacon Racing Strips?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

They do.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

If I get weird targeted ads I'll know who to blame

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/28/finally-you-can-wrap-your-ford-in-bacon/

quote:

“This car just makes so much sense,” Allan Benton, CEO of Benton’s Country Hams, said in a press release. “In the 40 years I’ve been in this business, I’ve never seen so much interest in bacon.”

This would be funny for about a week tops.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The kind of person who would willingly purchase a brand new car with bacon vinyl is not going to be able to afford a new car. They're too busy posting on Reddit from their parent's basement.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

I feel like the whole "bacon" thing passed long ago... Why does it take these companies so bloody long to catch on and monetize trends?

I mean yes we got Tactical Bacon but I feel like that was pre existing...

Also, a basketball

drukqs fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 1, 2014

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Apparently the owner is in India... Western car culture spreading lightning fast and getting exaggerated greatly... ugh

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Uh what are those 1/4"(?) jacks going into the exhausts?

Also, I assume the "No Fat Chick(s)" sticker is a functional addition as additional passengers will make the rear tires rub constantly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Flame thrower exhaust for people that have poo poo that doesn't naturally shoot flames :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chinatown posted:

Uh what are those 1/4"(?) jacks going into the exhausts?

Spark plugs for flamethrowers

e; f,b

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
It's best to have them in plain view like that too. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there some sort of 'flame tune' that people run that makes your car run extra rich? Or is there enough fuel in the exhaust that just having a spark source will throw flames?