Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

What is the reasoning for dual plugs per cylinder? (or in this case rotor). I've seen it done on other things and never understood why.

To add to what EightBit said, there was a Ford 4 cylinder......I forget which, but it was in my old rear end mid 90s Ranger....and it was for emissions. It apparently made enough of a difference that they were able to squeeze some more years out of that underpowered shitbox of a motor (turning on the AC felt like a jake brake).

We've also got that on a Mack Thermodyne gas motor from the late 50s (I've seen it from at least early 50s to early 70s on those motors) which is being run by a completely separate distributor and coil. I assume part of that is simply for redundancy, as these were all fire trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lots of engines have dual spark for emissions/economy reasons. One of the more recent tiny Honda engines (I think 1.3 fit but I'm not sure) has it, as did early DOHC Toyotas and various alfa romeo engines as well. I'm sure there are lots more.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why the gently caress is that geriatric pulling her pants down.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Supercars effect women of all ages like that :henget:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slavvy posted:

Looks like they're at a beach.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Collateral Damage posted:

Am I wrong for saying that I like the looks of the Lagonda? I know it's a complete piece of poo poo underneath but the exterior has an odd appeal, as if Volvo and Ferrari in the 80s got together to make a car.

No, you're not wrong. The original dashboard would have been amazing if it had ever worked, too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I remember a poster in AI years ago saying something along the lines of Pagani being their choice of car to go backwards into a tree with two supermodels in your lap and on fire at 150mph. Forget the exact wording but it's how I feel about them.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Welcome to my home state of Pennsylvania.

I remember walking in to get gas and seeing beer next to the iced tea and saying "Thank god - I made it to Ohio."

E: gently caress. I left this window open for two days? :downs:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

13 INCH DICK posted:

I remember a poster in AI years ago saying something along the lines of Pagani being their choice of car to go backwards into a tree with two supermodels in your lap and on fire at 150mph. Forget the exact wording but it's how I feel about them.

I remember that quote being about Koenigsegg. But either/or is worthy of sending me to my fiery end, I'm not too picky.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Motronic posted:

To add to what EightBit said, there was a Ford 4 cylinder......I forget which, but it was in my old rear end mid 90s Ranger....and it was for emissions. It apparently made enough of a difference that they were able to squeeze some more years out of that underpowered shitbox of a motor (turning on the AC felt like a jake brake).
That was the 2.3L Lima engine, and not only did it improve emissions, but it increased power from 88 hp to 105! :eng101:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

That was the 2.3L Lima engine, and not only did it improve emissions, but it increased power from 88 hp to 105! :eng101:

Carried through to the 2.5L too. 119hp - only five less than the fits-in-a-carryon 1.0L Ecoboost!

GTi
Feb 1, 2006
16 valves of fury

Supradog posted:

A natural mistake if you've ever seen this movie.

I remember seeing it but don't remember the title. Care to help me out here?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (or Flåklypa Grand Prix originally).

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 27, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GTi posted:

I remember seeing it but don't remember the title. Care to help me out here?

Google says:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073000/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Also incidentally one of the greatest movies ever made. The stop motion animation is flawless, the music is amazing and the story has a humble bicycle mechanic sticking it to all the high-and-mighty pro racers in his insane death trap of a race car that he banged together in his shed.

According to the movie, it has a 2.8 ton V12, with concave cylinder linings, high-voltage spark plugs with spark arresters, direct injection using the enema method and 3-4 inch exhaust pipes. On the very first startup, the seismometer in Bergen registered 7.8 on the Richter scale. The tires are handmade with steel inlays and 7 layers of chicken wire for strength.

It also has a radar, hand crank starter, AWD, two speedometers where one takes over when the first runs out, wind gauge and a blood bank (including blue blood), and runs on moonshine. The retometer distributor increases the colloidal effect by 112%.

And the best part? They actually built a full-size real-life replica with a gnarly V8.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 27, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think the video of it suits the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgG0AYUNOZY

Dat exhaust.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

If Back to the Future were made in the 30s.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Same.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I went to a winter driving course at Team O'Neil Rally School in New Hampshire a couple weekends ago.

Their normal school cars are Fiestas. They are the left over cars from the Fiesta Movement campaign in 2010. A much better fate than being crushed.

Race prepped Fiesta.

My Fiesta and my friend's 3.

The Volvo is a unicorn, V70R wagon with a 6spd manual.

It was a lot of fun and I learned a good deal. I just wish I had a chance to get some action shots.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

SFH1989 posted:

The Volvo is a unicorn, V70R wagon with a 6spd manual.

The P2 V70R 6Ms are very common

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

Really? I thought they were super rare along with a few other people there. Which Volvo am I thinking of that is almost non-existent in manual?

Either way it was a very nice car that looked like a ton of fun.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

SFH1989 posted:

Really? I thought they were super rare along with a few other people there. Which Volvo am I thinking of that is almost non-existent in manual?

Either way it was a very nice car that looked like a ton of fun.

Well, the aren't unicorn rare, but you don't see them every day either. Maybe a third of p2 V70Rs have the 6-speed manual. The C70 is harder to find in manual trans.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SFH1989 posted:

850Rs were never sold in manual in the states. We got them in canada. Missed my chance to get one in red, although I'm not kicking myself since it turned out to need a turbo and new trans. But I think you could get the T5-R with a manual in the US.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
The 98-00 Rs were not offered in the us with a manual either

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yessssss, that's great :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jesus?

Ran across an E-type today, driving down the freeway! Couldn't tell you if it's a real one or not, don't really know that much about them. It did have collector's plates. Wish I had a better picture, it's just a dashcam crop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Jesus?

Ran across an E-type today, driving down the freeway! Couldn't tell you if it's a real one or not, don't really know that much about them. It did have collector's plates. Wish I had a better picture, it's just a dashcam crop.

E-types aren't expensive or rare enough for kit cars to even be a consideration. Especially the dumpy as gently caress 2+2s, that car is probably only worth about 20 grand.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I don't think anybody would go through the trouble of making a replica 2+2 E-Type (because they are kinda weird looking) so it's safe to assume it is a real one. That's a very nice one.

Powershift posted:

E-types aren't expensive or rare enough for kit cars to even be a consideration. Especially the dumpy as gently caress 2+2s, that car is probably only worth about 20 grand.

I thought the same thing but apparently there is a company making beautiful E-Type Roadster replicas.

http://www.eaglegb.com/pages/the-eagle-etype

Ignore this, they aren't replicas just really thorough overhauls/resto-mods

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 27, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh I thought it was one of those really rare cars. Oh well, still kinda cool, haven't ever seen one driving around before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks like some kinda grievous bodily harm just went down on someone.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Motronic posted:

That looks like some kinda grievous bodily harm just went down on someone.

It looks like they did a driveby on an erupting volcano.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

It looks like they did a driveby on an erupting volcano.

Nah, that looks like this:

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Six rotors? Well that's cute and all but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2IFWveYBRs

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

speedtek posted:

Six rotors? Well that's cute and all but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2IFWveYBRs

That looks like it's happening in some random residential garage with that budget exhaust ventilation system :stare:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This goes here

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

88h88 posted:

This goes here

The Golden Compass?? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

kmcormick9 posted:

It's all relative I think. Do you mean 'very common' among all the P2 VR's, among the P2 V's, or among all cars? I see a lot more Kia Souls than I do P2 VR's.