Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Leo Showers posted:

I've just finished reading the Death from the Skies supplement, and I don't really see the point of the rules. It makes it slightly more interesting I suppose but at the end of the day it's easier to just deep strike behind an enemy flyer and blast it without some convoluted ruleset.

What am I missing?

I think the idea is to make for a more cinematic dogfight that represents the maneuvering and jockeying for position that actually comprises such battles happen, since the normal 40K rules are poorly-set up do do such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

AbusePuppy posted:

There's nothing wrong with jump infantry per se, it's basically just the SM Assault Marines/Vanguard Vets that are kinda weak.

Warp Talons disagree :colbert:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

Allies: Battle Brothers: Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines, Space Furries
Allies of Convenience: Eldar, Grey Knights
Desperate Allies: Dark Eldar, Tau Empire
Come the Apocalypse: Chaos Demons, Chaos Space Marines, Necrons, Orks, Tyranids

Imperial Knight Primary Detachment:
3-6 Knights

Allied Imperial Knight Detachment:
1-3 Knights
Separate detachment is neither Lords of War, nor Allies

At this point I'm glad I play 30k. Chaos gets boned again.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Warp Talons disagree :colbert:

Their problem isn't that they are jump infantry, their problem is that they are Chaos Marines.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ridiculous that chaos marines can't take a knight - from a fluff, rules AND profit perspective

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

BULBASAUR posted:

At this point I'm glad I play 30k. Chaos gets boned again.

Like you ever need a reason to play the badassery that is 30k.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Finally got around to finishing the most badass metal looking model in the WHFB line. Gonna use him as a Herald of Khorne or Skulltaker on Juggernaut for my 40k Daemons army. Kind of ran out of steam/inspiration overall on the paint job. My original armor plan was going to be a sort of black tinted with red but hitting black with red just makes brown so I salvaged it with a metallic dry brush and a coat of Ghost Tint Fresh Blood which created a decent metallic burgundy. Matte Varnish and Minitaire Ghost Tints don't play well together; Ghost Tint paint seems to fog up with even the lightest possible coating of Matte Varnish so the model has a bit of a haze to it. Eventually I will go back in and silver dot all the armor rivets but for now I'm just glad this model is done.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lenoon posted:

Ridiculous that chaos marines can't take a knight - from a fluff, rules AND profit perspective

They would have to have made a chaos version/conversion kit if they were going to allow that. On the upside, not sharing with the filthy imperials leaves the door open for chaos getting their own smaller than a titan thing.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Where are they saying Chaos can't bring Knights?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tommofork posted:

They would have to have made a chaos version/conversion kit if they were going to allow that. On the upside, not sharing with the filthy imperials leaves the door open for chaos getting their own smaller than a titan thing.

I think this is the key. GW won't risk a third party making profit from a "giant death robot conversion kit" or similar.

EDIT: And don't Chaos already have that Lord of Skulls?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think this is the key. GW won't risk a third party making profit from a "giant death robot conversion kit" or similar.

EDIT: And don't Chaos already have that Lord of Skulls?

I found it funny that Wayland games advertised in one of their latest emails the knights directly beside those giant KS look-alike robots with all their extra arms n' such taking up more space than the knights. Wish I still had that since it was basically a "if you want to play 40k but not support GW" push.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How does an Imperial Knight stack up beside a Brass Scorpion anyway?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Given that we got the Khorne Death Dealer from Epic, I'd be surprised if we don't see eventually see the Slaaneshi Hell Knights.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

AbusePuppy posted:

I think the idea is to make for a more cinematic dogfight that represents the maneuvering and jockeying for position that actually comprises such battles happen, since the normal 40K rules are poorly-set up do do such a thing.

I'd be happy if that was the norm for flyer vs flyer, it does make it a bit harder (or more rewarding) shooting down an enemy flyer using it.

Fake edit: My issue is that 12" is really close for flyers, normally I could open fire from within 36"

AgentF
May 11, 2009

moths posted:

Given that we got the Khorne Death Dealer from Epic, I'd be surprised if we don't see eventually see the Slaaneshi Hell Knights.

I wouldn't be surprised. Khorne always gets the love from new toys. Even obtensibly general things like the Daemon Prince have a decidedly Khornate appearance.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I found it funny that Wayland games advertised in one of their latest emails the knights directly beside those giant KS look-alike robots with all their extra arms n' such taking up more space than the knights. Wish I still had that since it was basically a "if you want to play 40k but not support GW" push.

You mean this? Pretty loving hilarious, and ballsy.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Well, it's not like "selling another company's products" is something that GW can reasonably pull their stock over. They'd basically have no sales at all if they did that.

Leviathans are badass, and though I don't dislike the Knight kit, there's no way I'd pay twice as much for a smaller model with fewer options and less articulation.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Leo Showers posted:

I've just finished reading the Death from the Skies supplement, and I don't really see the point of the rules. It makes it slightly more interesting I suppose but at the end of the day it's easier to just deep strike behind an enemy flyer and blast it without some convoluted ruleset.

What am I missing?

A forged narrative, I guess? I don't much see the point of them either.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cassa posted:

You mean this? Pretty loving hilarious, and ballsy.

Seriously, on sale for $75, I am tempted to buy a Leviathan Crusader just because it's a fantastic model and a really good deal at $75. Save it until I have a son child* who wants to build a cool model project together...so, like, factoring getting married, finishing grad school, having kids...18 years before I take it out of the box? Whatever.

*gently caress gender norms, any daughter I have is going to get to play with plastic space mans too if she wants.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

A forged narrative, I guess? I don't much see the point of them either.

If it made each round of shooting more decisive then I'd be all for it, as it is it makes it more difficult to shoot down enemy flyers unless you are really lucky and you have to be ~really~ close. As it is you'd need to be flying a Thunderbolt or something packing twin-linked lascannons to have a decisive dogfight.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Leo Showers posted:

If it made each round of shooting more decisive then I'd be all for it, as it is it makes it more difficult to shoot down enemy flyers unless you are really lucky and you have to be ~really~ close. As it is you'd need to be flying a Thunderbolt or something packing twin-linked lascannons to have a decisive dogfight.

I use Stormtalons for anti-flyer duty in my SM force. They tend to shred whatever's in the sky, and are great for ground targets as well.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Maybe I am a dimwit but I really liked Unremembered Empire. To be honest I liked Vulcan Lives too. Though I ingest everything in audio books so it is a pleasant experience already.

I know you can be upset with the way things end up, but we all know how it ends already. It is another tale where the dramatic irony is the baseline and they get to draw their own conflict and resolution curves within the window of time that has already been set. I think what they have drawn in there works and was a fun ride. But yeah, Curze was kinda dull, but Vulcan Lives helped more with his shades of grey. (And really good voice acting)

The total number of legions thing was not a problem for me. I'm not sure how that was a problem. Eventually these legions would gather up to dust themselves off and figure stuff out.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I use Stormtalons for anti-flyer duty in my SM force. They tend to shred whatever's in the sky, and are great for ground targets as well.

I'm actually shelving the World Eaters force for the moment in favour of either a Thunderbolt, Lightning or another Ork Fighta-Bomma. Decisions :negative:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

I'm looking to do that as well. What loadout do you typically use?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't plan on getting fliers but I do plan on getting three mortis-contemptors with kheres cannons on them for AA :getin:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

The best loadout is assault cannon and skyhammer missiles. Keeps it cheap and gives a ton of shots. Against non-skimming ground targets they're BS5 and Pinning too which is really nice.

panascope fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 27, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That's exactly what I thought. One of my friends said I should go with regular missile launchers, but the Skyhammer is too sexy not to use. I'm going to magnetize the weapons loadouts anyway but I doubt I'll be taking the Skyhammer off.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

VolatileSky posted:

Before trimming and after.

God I wish I had a laser cutter, that would have sped things up a lot. And I could crank out kits of whatever vehicle I wanted. Ugh.

Its just a lot of careful drawing, some cutting with leaving a bit of extra for trimming, and a lot of careful trimming. I only sanded the face of it to level off any score lines. They honestly look kind of poo poo before getting rid of all the ragged edges.

Maybe you do have access to a laser cutter and just don't know it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So on a whim I decided to look up alternative 28mm models to use as Chimeras and Russes and came across one place that sells a 28mm APC that looks pretty good and not too expensive but in Lasercut Cardboard which is not something I tend to see that often.
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/apc-tracked
Nice thing though is that they go have scale comparison images with normal Guardsmen and that one in particular isn't too bad actually.
Even if they have a couple of other vehicles that are a bit on the tall side.
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/buffel
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/casspir
Would make for awesome Ork conversions for those interested though.

http://www.warchimera.com/
Also found this but didn't like the design so much. The Laser rifles are rather unsubtle though.

And then I found a place that sold an S-Tank in 1/35 really cheap which made me really really tempted to buy it so I could run it as a Destroyer Tank Hunt at some point.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blacktoll posted:

I don't plan on getting fliers but I do plan on getting three mortis-contemptors with kheres cannons on them for AA :getin:

Kheres Mortis Contemptors tear poo poo up. You roll so many shots that it's scary easy to glance even moderately armoured vehicles to death.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

So on a whim I decided to look up alternative 28mm models to use as Chimeras and Russes and came across one place that sells a 28mm APC that looks pretty good and not too expensive but in Lasercut Cardboard which is not something I tend to see that often.
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/apc-tracked
Nice thing though is that they go have scale comparison images with normal Guardsmen and that one in particular isn't too bad actually.
Even if they have a couple of other vehicles that are a bit on the tall side.
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/buffel
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/casspir
Would make for awesome Ork conversions for those interested though.

http://www.warchimera.com/
Also found this but didn't like the design so much. The Laser rifles are rather unsubtle though.

And then I found a place that sold an S-Tank in 1/35 really cheap which made me really really tempted to buy it so I could run it as a Destroyer Tank Hunt at some point.

If you think the Lasercut Cardboard APC looks good you should just grab some 1:35 Tamiya M113 APCs. I have 3 of them. I bought one on sale for $15, and two used for $10 and $1 each.

They are only slightly larger than a Rhino and once painted in your army colors should look fine.

From this:

To this:

From here: http://musingsofametalmind.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

Rhino L 11.5cm W 7.5cm H 5cm
M113 L 13.9cm W 7.7cm H 7.1cm
From here:http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Scale_Model_Kits_for_40K

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you think the Lasercut Cardboard APC looks good you should just grab some 1:35 Tamiya M113 APCs. I have 3 of them. I bought one on sale for $15, and two used for $10 and $1 each.

They are only slightly larger than a Rhino and once painted in your army colors should look fine.
*snip*

Rhino L 11.5cm W 7.5cm H 5cm
M113 L 13.9cm W 7.7cm H 7.1cm
From here:http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Scale_Model_Kits_for_40K

Yeah I was thinking about it actually, but I noticed that lasercut site also has a set of turrets too that looks really good.
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/turret-set

But I gotta admit that the Tamina ones do look really nice.
I was thinking of getting a 1/35 Sheridan kit as well and run that as a Demolisher.

Which in turns wants me to get a Patton kit or something for an alternate Leman Russ model.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I have a game coming up against a SAV list and need some help.

Here's his list, I think:

HQ
Siege Master + Rampage Chainsword relic + plasma pistol

Elites
2x Dreadnoughts

Troops
Dreadnought Talon (2 Ironclads)
4x Tac Squad + Siege Mantlets
Siege Assault squad + Land Raider

Fast Attack
Stormtalon/raven?

Heavy Support
Predator squadron (2 Preds)
artillery squadron (2 whirlwinds, but maybe stalkers)

I've never played against, with, or seen or Siege Vanguard list, so I really don't know what to do against it. Should I take Tyranids or Chaos Daemons?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Leo Showers posted:

What am I missing?

Those rules are just some crap they tacked on to fill out pages. The book's real purpose was to get you to spend $40 to get 6E correct rules for your 5E flyers.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I was thinking about it actually, but I noticed that lasercut site also has a set of turrets too that looks really good.
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/vehicles/turret-set

But I gotta admit that the Tamina ones do look really nice.
I was thinking of getting a 1/35 Sheridan kit as well and run that as a Demolisher.

Which in turns wants me to get a Patton kit or something for an alternate Leman Russ model.

You can get an M113 with a turret from Tamiya for the same price range:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Actually after looking at the prices of that in the Swedish kit stores that carries it the Lasercut one is a bit cheaper, including the turrents, since the shipping cost for it is surprisingly not that bad. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
Sorely tempted to buy a 1/35 Stryker I found as well for about the same GW listed price as a Chimera. Not to mention it'd look great next to my Stryker MGS whenever I decided to build that one. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 27, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Actually after looking at the prices of that in the Swedish kit stores that carries it the Lasercut one is a bit cheaper, including the turrents, since the shipping cost for it is surprisingly not that bad. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
Sorely tempted to buy a 1/35 Stryker I found as well for about the same GW listed price as a Chimera. Not to mention it'd look great next to my Stryker MGS whenever I decided to build that one. :v:

I didn't remember you were in Sweden. You might want to look for a direct from China model store, their prices are typically good and shipping is often free. Or if not China, at least look for online retailers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I didn't remember you were in Sweden. You might want to look for a direct from China model store, their prices are typically good and shipping is often free. Or if not China, at least look for online retailers.

Online retails is what I usually look for, biggest problem there is regularly the high shipping costs at least when it comes to stores based in the US. European stores not so much though which is kinda nice. But I'll keep that other advise in mind whenever I get around ordering them, as soon as my other backlog decreases a bit.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

PantsOptional posted:

I usually just spring for Typhoon missiles, as they're more versatile (4:20 spew krak missiles erryday), but the 3-shot Skyhammer launcher is just fine as well - keep in mind that most flyers have relatively low armor, so the lower damage threshold on the Skyhammer rack doesn't subtract much. The assault cannons are lovely for chewing them up too. I tend not to use lascannons or heavy bolters. Missiles are where it's at.

PeterWeller posted:

Those rules are just some crap they tacked on to fill out pages. The book's real purpose was to get you to spend $40 to get 6E correct rules for your 5E flyers.

Yup, pretty much this now that I read them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Googling around for a 28mm-scale Stryker vehicle, I came cross this transformer Knight wannabe in the same scale. No idea how big it looks against a guardsmen, but I think they might be close to the right size.

http://035f399.netsolhost.com/Gears_gutssalepage.html

• Locked thread